best ND wrestling family

Postby rep » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:11 pm

boysbballfan wrote:
rep wrote:
bballcrasher wrote:Based purely on using the number of state titles per family, I'd go with the Mellmers. Saylers have four boys, Mellmers have four boys.

Saylers: One title from Arlen in 1992 and one from Josh in 1999.  TWO TOTAL.

Mellmers: Two from Eric in 1996 and 1997, Three from Marc 1999, 200, 2003, Four from Jake 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and one (currently) from Luke in 2006 (most likely to win another this year). TEN TOTAL. 

The Sayler's aren't even the best wrestling family from Dickinson and not THE BEST wrestling family in NoDak. I'm not saying the Mellmer's are either, but 10 to 2 in state titles makes my case. And, I don't think saying a Mellmer couldn't beat a Sayler has anything to do with it.

i'll take my judging that none of the mellmers could beat any of the saylers and you can count state titles all day long for who is a better wrestling family...i certainly can't name how tough each class was in any given year, but i know that none of the mellmers would have stayed on the mat long with shane, who didn't win a state title. when i think about that, i kind of decide that state titles ring fairly hollow unless you follow wrestling a heck of a lot closer than i do.

personally i think the mellmers had very little technique, they normally were all in a weight class in which they were stronger than the majority of the kids they were wrestling. my two cents - could be wrong. but i think that, along with some other random reasons, are why none has panned out in college. maybe jake will prove me wrong, but it isn't like he'd be the first one in the family to go some place and blow it completely. and like quite a few athletes find out every year, it is a lot different being a high school athlete and being a college athlete.

if we are talking wrestling family, arlen went on to be pretty good for both ndsu and dsu, and none of the mellmers have done anything past high school other than go somewhere and not do much (again, jake certainly has time)...arlen and shane and josh have all coached at some point, while i don't believe the mellmers have. so by rights the saylers have had longer-reaching success and are the better wrestling family.

Wow u really don't like the mellmers do u. First off both mark and jake r in minnesota arguably the best wrestling school in the nation. Mark unfortunetly got seriously injured and can't wrestle anymore. Jake was in contention to be a starter as a true freshmen until he got hurt and i'm sure luke will get some looks at good colleges.  And wrestling depends alot on technique so saying that they have little technique is one of the dumbest things i have heard considering how many state championships they have won and jake also won 4 triple crowns the first ever in ND. 


marc - i apparently like the family enough to know how to spell their names

moving the discussion back towards the topic, the white family isn't too bad, but i think the mccleary clan has the overall numbers and a definite tradition.

anyone think anyone in the state can keep close with kriss at state this year?
Last edited by rep on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rep
 

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:17 am

You can talk as poorly about Jake as you want to, but he's a Four Time Triple Crown Winner in wrestling. A feat that's rarely accomplished. It takes technique, strength, hard work, and a strong will to be a champion 12 times. College wrestling is a whole different ball game than HS. Where you used to be a big dog in a little pond, you're know a little puppy in a huge ocean. It takes a year to adjust to the change in speed of wrestling at the next level. I think Jake will pan out just fine at the U. He's had a few injuries during the season, but keeps fighting back from them, this effort that's been instilled in him by his older brothers and the rest of his family.

As far as Marc is concerned, being able to spell his name has no meaning in your knowledge of him as an athlete and a person. I don't know what passes for hard work in New England, but these boys pass the test in the rest of the state. Good Luck to Jake in the rest of the season at the U. And Good Luck to Luke! Bring another one home!!
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
User avatar
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: USA

Postby rep » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:29 am

bballcrasher wrote:You can talk as poorly about Jake as you want to, but he's a Four Time Triple Crown Winner in wrestling. A feat that's rarely accomplished. It takes technique, strength, hard work, and a strong will to be a champion 12 times. College wrestling is a whole different ball game than HS. Where you used to be a big dog in a little pond, you're know a little puppy in a huge ocean. It takes a year to adjust to the change in speed of wrestling at the next level. I think Jake will pan out just fine at the U. He's had a few injuries during the season, but keeps fighting back from them, this effort that's been instilled in him by his older brothers and the rest of his family.

As far as Marc is concerned, being able to spell his name has no meaning in your knowledge of him as an athlete and a person. I don't know what passes for hard work in New England, but these boys pass the test in the rest of the state. Good Luck to Jake in the rest of the season at the U. And Good Luck to Luke! Bring another one home!!


with jake i don't think i was talking poorly of him. every time i have referenced him i think i have included something like, 'maybe he'll prove me wrong' or 'he's still young' because his career certainly isn't set in stone yet.

that said, from what i've seen to this point, he has proven to be nothing but an above average high school wrestler, as has the rest of the family.

and i think that if we are talking about the best wrestling family in the state, i think that more should be considered in the criteria than just what the wrestlers did in high school. apparently that makes me jealous of the mellmer family/stupid/not watch a lot of wrestling/etc.

as far as marc, yeah, i know all i need to know about him. same goes with eric. i know very little about jake and very little about luke. all i know about jake is that he is looked out of shape right now and stalled at the jimmie open where the competition wasn't the greatest ever, but certainly good enough that showing up with an 'm' on your singlet isn't going to get you very far...but he'll get better. it doesn't mean i don't wish both the best of luck, they'll certainly need it because minnesota college and north dakota high school wrestling, respectively, are no joke.

i don't really know what passes for hard work in new england either...never lived there.  
rep
 

Postby wraslinfan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:19 pm

rep -  the jimmy open is one tournament. How did jake do at the bison open. im pretty sure he took third where he did beat Troy McFarland the starter for MSUM and Shane Hase (former ND class B Mr. Wrestler and im not sure but maybe an NAIA all-american) the starter for Jamestown in that tournament. this was jakes first college tournament. that is not a bad showing in my mind. and you are correct about jake at the jimmy open. a very poor showing. but things factor in during wrestling and one is cutting weight and mat preperation.

one ting you failed to mention rep was how many times have the saylers been all-americans at fargo. or were they ranked nationally in high school. i really dont know these facts and im not trying to be smart. i am just curious. i know that jake mellmer was a two time greco all-american in the Junior devision , coming home with a 5th and a 4th. Luke Mellmer is also a two time cadet All-American with a 4th in greco and an 8th in freestyle. i think it is fair to say that even if the two youngest mellmers wouldnt have even won a state championship, they are still among some pretty high talent nationally and it doesnt matter if its freestyle or greco-roman wrestling.

as far as the saylers having FARTHER reaching careers in wrestling? Arlen is no young college student anymore. i think he graduated in what 94 or something like that. He did all-american in NAIA i believe but what goes to show for the other saylers. and who kno's if Erik (which is the correct spelling if u wanna kno) and or marc take over the reigns at a high school or club soon. nobody kno's because they are still younger and still have time. i know that marc and jake both already coach clubs in the minneapolis area and erik lives in williston where he helps out some with there high school program. so the mellmers in fact do coach now and have coached prior in their careers in high school.

as for the mellmers college careers folding and saying that they got KICKED around in college is not a true fact. erik started at the university of mary as a true freshman and did blow out his knee for the 4th time in his wrestling career. marc had a bulged disc in his neck which prevents him from wrestling live to this day. Rep u seem to know quite a bit about the mellmers and the saylers. are u in anyrelation to any of the two families? its not really important rather then knowing if your facts are true. ill tell ya my facts are true cause i am in fact in relation to the mellmer family.

and one more thing rep. how are u so certain that shane would have kicked any of the mellmers. have they ever wrestled? have u ever seen shane and marc wrestle in the DHS wrestling room? if not it makes it pretty hard to say that inless in fact you know something that i do not kno.

i am not trying to start a debate here rather just get facts straight. i am not going to judge on who is the better wrestling family cause that is rediculous. i will say that the mellmer family is one heck of a wrestling family as well as the saylors.
wraslinfan
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 am

Postby rep » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:35 pm

wraslinfan wrote:rep -  the jimmy open is one tournament. How did jake do at the bison open. im pretty sure he took third where he did beat Troy McFarland the starter for MSUM and Shane Hase (former ND class B Mr. Wrestler and im not sure but maybe an NAIA all-american) the starter for Jamestown in that tournament. this was jakes first college tournament. that is not a bad showing in my mind. and you are correct about jake at the jimmy open. a very poor showing. but things factor in during wrestling and one is cutting weight and mat preperation.

one ting you failed to mention rep was how many times have the saylers been all-americans at fargo. or were they ranked nationally in high school. i really dont know these facts and im not trying to be smart. i am just curious. i know that jake mellmer was a two time greco all-american in the Junior devision , coming home with a 5th and a 4th. Luke Mellmer is also a two time cadet All-American with a 4th in greco and an 8th in freestyle. i think it is fair to say that even if the two youngest mellmers wouldnt have even won a state championship, they are still among some pretty high talent nationally and it doesnt matter if its freestyle or greco-roman wrestling.

as far as the saylers having FARTHER reaching careers in wrestling? Arlen is no young college student anymore. i think he graduated in what 94 or something like that. He did all-american in NAIA i believe but what goes to show for the other saylers. and who kno's if Erik (which is the correct spelling if u wanna kno) and or marc take over the reigns at a high school or club soon. nobody kno's because they are still younger and still have time. i know that marc and jake both already coach clubs in the minneapolis area and erik lives in williston where he helps out some with there high school program. so the mellmers in fact do coach now and have coached prior in their careers in high school.

as for the mellmers college careers folding and saying that they got KICKED around in college is not a true fact. erik started at the university of mary as a true freshman and did blow out his knee for the 4th time in his wrestling career. marc had a bulged disc in his neck which prevents him from wrestling live to this day. Rep u seem to know quite a bit about the mellmers and the saylers. are u in anyrelation to any of the two families? its not really important rather then knowing if your facts are true. ill tell ya my facts are true cause i am in fact in relation to the mellmer family.

and one more thing rep. how are u so certain that shane would have kicked any of the mellmers. have they ever wrestled? have u ever seen shane and marc wrestle in the DHS wrestling room? if not it makes it pretty hard to say that inless in fact you know something that i do not kno.

i am not trying to start a debate here rather just get facts straight. i am not going to judge on who is the better wrestling family cause that is rediculous. i will say that the mellmer family is one heck of a wrestling family as well as the saylors.


congrats on being well-spoken.
rep
 

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 pm

I still think that the relatives of Roddy and Mike Gentzow along with their cousins Rod and Randy Volk are cream.

someone once told me that arguing on the internet is like winng a race in???????
Last edited by point/center on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am
Location: Cleveland (North Dakota)

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Thinking outside the realm of HS, The Steiner brothers from Bismarck have done a lot for the sport as a whole, at the HS, college, and olympic level. You cannot forget them in a discussion about the best wrestling family.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
User avatar
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: USA

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:49 pm

bballcrasher wrote:Thinking outside the realm of HS, The Steiner brothers from Bismarck have done a lot for the sport as a whole, at the HS, college, and olympic level. You cannot forget them in a discussion about the best wrestling family.

yeah, i agree. i dont' the mellmers could stay in the gym with those Steiner boys
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am
Location: Cleveland (North Dakota)

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:50 pm

I don't think a lot of people could carry those boys' jock, much less stay in the gym.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
User avatar
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: USA

Postby rep » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:54 pm

does anyone happen to have any all-time career records for the steiners?
rep
 

Postby baseball18 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 pm

The Mellmers, Steiners, and Saylers are all very good wrestling familys.  But the Richter family from St. Mary's is definitely the top wrestling family in my mind.  They dominated Class A wrestling back in the 80's and early 90's.
Last edited by baseball18 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:05 pm

High School Records from Century's website:

Troy Steiner 142-12 Champ in 86, 87, 88

This from Buckeye Website:
Troy Steiner is in his second season as assistant coach with the University of Iowa wrestling team.
Steiner, who was a four-time all-American at Iowa from 1990-93 and an NCAA champion in 1992, owned and operated the ADVANCE School of Wrestling in Madison, WI, the last four years. He also served as an assistant coach at Wisconsin (1997-2001), Minnesota (1996-97) and Oregon State (1995-96). During his career, Steiner has coached 22 all-Americans, 10 Big Ten champions, six NCAA champions and one junior FILA World Freestyle champion.
Steiner won three Big Ten titles at Iowa, compiling a 148-13 career record at 134 and 142 pounds. He and his twin brother, Terry, were part of three national and four Big Ten champion teams. Troy holds the school record for best season winning percentage (100%), along with 12 other Hawkeyes, going 42-0 his junior year. He also ranks third in career wins (148) and sixth in season wins (42) in school history.
In post-collegiate competition, Steiner was a nine-time U.S. National team member, winning the 1992 World Cup and the 1996 Pan-American Games titles. He placed third at the U.S. Olympic Trials in 1992 and 1996, and fifth in 2000. He was inducted into the North Dakota Hall of Fame in 1998.
A native of Bismarck, ND, Steiner received his B.A. in social work from Iowa in 1993 and his M.ed. in Kinesiology with a sports management emphasis from the University of Minnesota in 1998. He and his wife Shawn, who was a five-time letterwinner (1993-96) for the Iowa women's track and cross country teams, have two children, Spencer and Abbigail.

 

Terry Steiner 128-14 Runner up in 86, Champ in 87, 88

Also on the site I came across another family: The Sabots from Century: Troy, Eric, and Billy and I think a cousin?? from Beulah. I think his name was Brooks, but I could be wrong.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
User avatar
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: USA

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:38 pm

where does Brock Lesner fit in this? didnt he wrestle at BSC?...would venture to say wresling has paid him much better than ANY other grappler in ND history
Last edited by point/center on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am
Location: Cleveland (North Dakota)

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Yes, but he's from Webster, SD.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
User avatar
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: USA

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:47 am

Hilliard family from Lakota

Steve, Earl, Dave.

 

Dave won 5 state championships I believe that record still stands.

 
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
User avatar
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:51 am
Location: USA

Postby Shocker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Dave won 5 state championships I believe that record still stands.
 
I believe that Levi Haugen from Bishop Ryan has 6.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:21 am

Postby inittowinit » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 am

haugen has 5
inittowinit
 

Postby Shocker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am

inittowinit wrote:haugen has 5 
You're right. Sorry about the confusion.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Bismarck Fan » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:14 pm

There are a number of outstanding families that qualify from the great state of ND, but certainly we need to add the Reimnitz's from Bismarck High into consideration: Phil '70, Andy '71, Mark '74 and '75, and Dave '75.
Bismarck Fan
 

Postby AnneGregory » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:16 pm

The Gregory family are an up and coming family that will really get some people talking in the next couple of years.
AnneGregory
 

Postby Ming01 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:24 pm

AnneGregory wrote:The Gregory family are an up and coming family that will really get some people talking in the next couple of years.

anybody else besides your family?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby AnneGregory » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 am

Tyler Christian has some talent too........he's gone to state the last two years........he'll be a shophmore next year.
AnneGregory
 

Postby BBALL1456 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:55 pm

The stillerman family is huge...His dad was almost in the big times until he broke his tibia
You can have all the talent in the world. But it will get you nowhere without your teammates
User avatar
BBALL1456
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm
Location: Dickinson, , USA

Postby dtvman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 pm

What about the Maughan's?  Jack and Brett had 6 state titles between them.
dtvman
 

Postby Wombat » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:41 am

Rep- As far as saying the Mellmers haven’t panned out in College wrestling, Just being on the Gopher Line-up  is more of an accomplishment than MANY wrestlers from ND will ever make. Minnesota has been one of the best wrestling teams in the entire nation the past few years. Jake was 8-4 last year for the gophers which is pretty darn good. The only stats I found on Marc was when he went 9-10 in the 04-05 season.

Point/Center- Brock Lesnar did wrestle for BSC and won the Junior College national championship in 1998, then transferred to Minnesota where he was a national runner up in 1999 and the national champion in 2000. However his short stint at BSC was all the time he spent in ND as he is a native of Webster SD where he was 33-0 as a senior and a state champion. He was 106-5 overall in his college career.

Shocker and Inittowinit- Haugen indeed does have 5 titles to tie Hilliard for the class B record, also Scott Glasser from Bismarck High has 5 state championships and is the only 5 time winner in class A. He also wrestles for the Gophers now where he went 17-2 in his redshirt season a year ago.

And lastly, I’d like to mention the Lucier family from Walhalla/Cavalier. Cole Lucier won a pair of state titles for Walhalla before going on to wrestle for UND  where he became a D2 All-American for the Sioux. Next in the family was Beau Lucier who won 3 state titles that were split between Walhalla and Cavalier as the family moved. I don’t know anything about Beau’s college career but I believe he wrestled for MSU-Moorhead. He was selected by the Wrestling USA Magazine as a high school All-American in 1994. He was one of only 6 guys from ND to get this honor between 1989 and 1999. (one of only 27 wrestlers in ND to win 3 state titles. 10 more have won 4 titles and only 3 have won 5) The third brother was Lucas Lucier. He went undefeated his Junior year claiming a state title, but lost in the Semifinals his senior year when he placed 3[sup]rd[/sup]. He also had a pretty solid career in college wrestling for Jamestown College. Sam Lucier is the youngest of the brothers. He never won a wrestling state title, but placed 8[sup]th[/sup], 8[sup]th[/sup], and as a senior took 5[sup]th[/sup] in what is arguably the most stacked 215 bracket in the history of the weight.
Last edited by Wombat on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Cavalier/Mayville, , North Dakota USA

PreviousNext

Return to Wrestling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest