best ND wrestling family

Postby coca cola » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:33 am

[font=georgia]what are everyones thoughts on who is the best family to wrestly in nd[/font]
User avatar
coca cola
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:52 pm

Postby Ming01 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:49 am

Richters from St. Mary's.  They have a handful of state championships.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby coca cola » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:00 am

Ming01 wrote:Richters from St. Mary's.  They have a handful of state championships.

[font=georgia]how many generations is that? i have heard that name before with wrestlin but never really paid attnetion[/font]
User avatar
coca cola
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:52 pm

Postby point/center » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Lisbon=Rod and Randy Volk
New Salem=Pazderniks
Napoleon=all the McClearys
Lisbon=Ritchie & Robbie Mairs--i think they were twins
Terry and Troy Steiner probably by far the most accomplshed ever
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am
Location: Cleveland (North Dakota)

Postby Baller » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Ming01 wrote:Richters from St. Mary's.  They have a handful of state championships.

gotta throw in the schwietzers as well
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
User avatar
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Eastern North Dakota, ,

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Terry and Troy Steiner of CHS
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Postby ndfbfan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Pazdernicks from New Salem and of course probably the best family of wrestlers, Mellmers from Dickinson
ndfbfan
 

Postby ND_Coach » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:24 pm

The Lemer's from Harvey weren't too bad I think they have a couple of state titles
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:45 am

Postby boysbballfan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:05 pm

The mellmers from dickinson are really good as well all of them one at least one state championship and two of them r wrestling for the University of Minnesota and Luke is number one this year so far.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
User avatar
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Postby Ming01 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:13 pm

poochy wrote:
Ming01 wrote:Richters from St. Mary's.  They have a handful of state championships.

[font=georgia]how many generations is that? i have heard that name before with wrestlin but never really paid attnetion[/font]

4 brothers won state championships and I know atleast 2 were all americans in college but idk about the other 2
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby westpower » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:17 pm

The Lunds have and will always continue to make quite a bit of noise

 
westpower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:45 am

Postby rep » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:25 pm

boysbballfan wrote:The mellmers from dickinson are really good as well all of them one at least one state championship and two of them r wrestling for the University of Minnesota and Luke is number one this year so far.


i saw jake wrestle at the jimmie open on saturday...you could tell he was a freshman...didn't impress me to say the least and i went in jacked to watch him because of the north dakota connection going to a d-1 program...still has time though...it isn't like he isn't going to get great coaching.

one of the more fun wrestlers i've watched at dickinson state was elijah simburger (not sure on spelling)...his moves were never intricate, but it seemed liked he was so strong he could really sink a move in.

not sure about any of his brothers, i guess i haven't seen them in person, but they're probably fun to watch too. maybe not the best ever, but i'd pay to watch elijah wrestle any day of the week.
rep
 

Postby baseball » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:28 pm

McCleary....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Postby boysbballfan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:16 am

rep wrote:
boysbballfan wrote:The mellmers from dickinson are really good as well all of them one at least one state championship and two of them r wrestling for the University of Minnesota and Luke is number one this year so far.


i saw jake wrestle at the jimmie open on saturday...you could tell he was a freshman...didn't impress me to say the least and i went in jacked to watch him because of the north dakota connection going to a d-1 program...still has time though...it isn't like he isn't going to get great coaching.

one of the more fun wrestlers i've watched at dickinson state was elijah simburger (not sure on spelling)...his moves were never intricate, but it seemed liked he was so strong he could really sink a move in.

not sure about any of his brothers, i guess i haven't seen them in person, but they're probably fun to watch too. maybe not the best ever, but i'd pay to watch elijah wrestle any day of the week.

Jake is just coming off a neck injury and has been out for about a month. They had him on varsity but then he got hurt so he's a medical redshirt.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
User avatar
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Postby coca cola » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:13 am

i believe that the mellmers are probably the best wrestling family. 3 of the 4 brothers have got the triple crown. they are all state champions.
User avatar
coca cola
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:52 pm

Postby thesports_guy32 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 am

Danny and Shon Horgan of Walhalla... first father and son to win a state title.
thesports_guy32
 

Postby baller01 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:50 pm

I'd say the Hase family out of Harvey.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
User avatar
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Postby ndsubisonfan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Mellmer family from Dickinson
ndsubisonfan
 

Postby rep » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:49 pm

all right, i'll say it:

sayler family from dickinson...because there is no way a mellmer would be able to beat any of the saylers...none
rep
 

Postby bballcrasher » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:31 pm

rep wrote:all right, i'll say it:

sayler family from dickinson...because there is no way a mellmer would be able to beat any of the saylers...none


???What????

Based purely on using the number of state titles per family, I'd go with the Mellmers. Saylers have four boys, Mellmers have four boys.

Saylers: One title from Arlen in 1992 and one from Josh in 1999.  TWO TOTAL.

Mellmers: Two from Eric in 1996 and 1997, Three from Marc 1999, 200, 2003, Four from Jake 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and one (currently) from Luke in 2006 (most likely to win another this year). TEN TOTAL.

 

The Sayler's aren't even the best wrestling family from Dickinson and not THE BEST wrestling family in NoDak. I'm not saying the Mellmer's are either, but 10 to 2 in state titles makes my case. And, I don't think saying a Mellmer couldn't beat a Sayler has anything to do with it.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
User avatar
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: USA

Postby rep » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:58 pm

bballcrasher wrote:Based purely on using the number of state titles per family, I'd go with the Mellmers. Saylers have four boys, Mellmers have four boys.

Saylers: One title from Arlen in 1992 and one from Josh in 1999.  TWO TOTAL.

Mellmers: Two from Eric in 1996 and 1997, Three from Marc 1999, 200, 2003, Four from Jake 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and one (currently) from Luke in 2006 (most likely to win another this year). TEN TOTAL. 

The Sayler's aren't even the best wrestling family from Dickinson and not THE BEST wrestling family in NoDak. I'm not saying the Mellmer's are either, but 10 to 2 in state titles makes my case. And, I don't think saying a Mellmer couldn't beat a Sayler has anything to do with it.

i'll take my judging that none of the mellmers could beat any of the saylers and you can count state titles all day long for who is a better wrestling family...i certainly can't name how tough each class was in any given year, but i know that none of the mellmers would have stayed on the mat long with shane, who didn't win a state title. when i think about that, i kind of decide that state titles ring fairly hollow unless you follow wrestling a heck of a lot closer than i do.

personally i think the mellmers had very little technique, they normally were all in a weight class in which they were stronger than the majority of the kids they were wrestling. my two cents - could be wrong. but i think that, along with some other random reasons, are why none has panned out in college. maybe jake will prove me wrong, but it isn't like he'd be the first one in the family to go some place and blow it completely. and like quite a few athletes find out every year, it is a lot different being a high school athlete and being a college athlete.

if we are talking wrestling family, arlen went on to be pretty good for both ndsu and dsu, and none of the mellmers have done anything past high school other than go somewhere and not do much (again, jake certainly has time)...arlen and shane and josh have all coached at some point, while i don't believe the mellmers have. so by rights the saylers have had longer-reaching success and are the better wrestling family.
rep
 

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:35 pm

No one could beat the Richters.  I know they have atleast 4 total state titles maybe even a few more.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby feeshattack » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:00 pm

obviosuly rep, you dont want much wrestling... and your two cents that you just added were absolute crap.... there is no question if the mellmers are the best wrestling family, wrestling has been in there blood ever since they can remember... . the mellmers have great technique and are stronger than the kids in their weight class because they have a great work ethic and have developed themselves into great strong wrestlers........ the mellmers have had many state championship and have won so many matches, duals, and tourneys that they can be called a dynasty... your just jealous because you know that the mellmers are better than the saylers

hands down, i would take the mellmers over anyone in the state anyday
Last edited by feeshattack on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
User avatar
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: Dickinson, ,

Postby boysbballfan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:01 pm

rep wrote:
bballcrasher wrote:Based purely on using the number of state titles per family, I'd go with the Mellmers. Saylers have four boys, Mellmers have four boys.

Saylers: One title from Arlen in 1992 and one from Josh in 1999.  TWO TOTAL.

Mellmers: Two from Eric in 1996 and 1997, Three from Marc 1999, 200, 2003, Four from Jake 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and one (currently) from Luke in 2006 (most likely to win another this year). TEN TOTAL. 

The Sayler's aren't even the best wrestling family from Dickinson and not THE BEST wrestling family in NoDak. I'm not saying the Mellmer's are either, but 10 to 2 in state titles makes my case. And, I don't think saying a Mellmer couldn't beat a Sayler has anything to do with it.

i'll take my judging that none of the mellmers could beat any of the saylers and you can count state titles all day long for who is a better wrestling family...i certainly can't name how tough each class was in any given year, but i know that none of the mellmers would have stayed on the mat long with shane, who didn't win a state title. when i think about that, i kind of decide that state titles ring fairly hollow unless you follow wrestling a heck of a lot closer than i do.

personally i think the mellmers had very little technique, they normally were all in a weight class in which they were stronger than the majority of the kids they were wrestling. my two cents - could be wrong. but i think that, along with some other random reasons, are why none has panned out in college. maybe jake will prove me wrong, but it isn't like he'd be the first one in the family to go some place and blow it completely. and like quite a few athletes find out every year, it is a lot different being a high school athlete and being a college athlete.

if we are talking wrestling family, arlen went on to be pretty good for both ndsu and dsu, and none of the mellmers have done anything past high school other than go somewhere and not do much (again, jake certainly has time)...arlen and shane and josh have all coached at some point, while i don't believe the mellmers have. so by rights the saylers have had longer-reaching success and are the better wrestling family.

Wow u really don't like the mellmers do u. First off both mark and jake r in minnesota arguably the best wrestling school in the nation. Mark unfortunetly got seriously injured and can't wrestle anymore. Jake was in contention to be a starter as a true freshmen until he got hurt and i'm sure luke will get some looks at good colleges.  And wrestling depends alot on technique so saying that they have little technique is one of the dumbest things i have heard considering how many state championships they have won and jake also won 4 triple crowns the first ever in ND. 
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
User avatar
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Postby rep » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm

feeshattack wrote:obviosuly rep, you dont want much wrestling... and your two cents that you just added were absolute crap.... there is no question if the mellmers are the best wrestling family, wrestling has been in there blood ever since they can remember... . the mellmers have great technique and are stronger than the kids in their weight class because they have a great work ethic and have developed themselves into great strong wrestlers........ the mellmers have had many state championship and have won so many matches, duals, and tourneys that they can be called a dynasty... your just jealous because you know that the mellmers are better than the saylers

hands down, i would take the mellmers over anyone in the state anyday


have a great work ethic except when they are injured...which seems to happen more and more when they get to college and they get kicked around for a little bit.

jake was called for and then penalized for stalling in both of his matches at the jimmie open...doesn't sound like a real hard worker to me. let's be serious here, in his second match after he was penalized for stalling to tie the match in the third period the kid he was wrestling against dove at his legs and got a takedown because jake gave up on the match...it is one thing to be a great high school wrestler and it is another to be great at the college level, much less d-1.

i hope jake is able to put together a college career. both eric and marc went to college and looked like they would be a lot better than they turned out. i wish him the best of luck because if he is able to do it, he'll be the first in his family.

 
rep
 

Next

Return to Wrestling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests