Legion Ball

Postby T24 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:03 pm

I heard Thompson beat Jamestown today like 14 to 2 or something like that. They also beat Mandan 4 to 1,both were there A teams
T24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby tanner lorenz » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:37 pm

T24 wrote:I heard Thompson beat Jamestown today like 14 to 2 or something like that. They also beat Mandan 4 to 1,both were there A teams
dosent surprise me, class a is kind of overrated
tanner lorenz

Postby baseball4 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:47 pm

tanner lorenz wrote:
T24 wrote:I heard Thompson beat Jamestown today like 14 to 2 or something like that. They also beat Mandan 4 to 1,both were there A teams

Yeah, ok.....Thompson is an exception, there are maybe 1 or 2 B teams that could compete at a class A level
baseball4

Postby Ming01 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:07 am

No way Class A is overrated.  Mandan prolly just had one bad game where they couldn't score some runs and Jamestown probably pitched someone who doesnt normally pitch. Thompson is a good team and can compete with some Class A teams, but dont even say Class A is overrated.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby T24 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:26 am

I would agree with you on this one. 1 game is hard to judge a team by.
T24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:28 am

tanner lorenz wrote:

bismarcks babe ruth team beat harvey twice and those arnt even the standout class a kids so dont even say it is overrated
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby power-aid14 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 am

Saucesauer wrote:
tanner lorenz wrote:

bismarcks babe ruth team beat harvey twice and those arnt even the standout class a kids so dont even say it is overrated

its obviously an opinion which could cause some contraversy but nevertheless i think he is right, in a way... i think a lot of class b schools and teams could beat a Jamestown, Mandan, Valley City, West Fargo, but where class A dominates is in teams like Williston, Fargo, Bismarck and Minot....teams that class b schools have pretty much no chance at beating
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tanner lorenz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:44 am

power-aid14 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
tanner lorenz wrote:

its obviously an opinion which could cause some contraversy but nevertheless i think he is right, in a way... i think a lot of class b schools and teams could beat a Jamestown, Mandan, Valley City, West Fargo, but where class A dominates is in teams like Williston, Fargo, Bismarck and Minot....teams that class b schools have pretty much no chance at beating
all im saying is class a baseball is not like they say it is, i went to a game expecting to see 85-90 mph pitching and the fastest i saw besides lundy was maybe 75...how hard to hit is that.........the class a teams are oviously better teams than class b but all im saying is that they are overrated....hitters are supposed to be great with great pitching and when i went to a mandan minot game, besides lundy, all the other pitchers were 75-80 when hearing that they throw 85...ppl make class a sound way to good
Last edited by tanner lorenz on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanner lorenz

Postby bisonman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:07 am

tanner lorenz wrote:
power-aid14 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
tanner lorenz wrote:

all im saying is class a baseball is not like they say it is, i went to a game expecting to see 85-90 mph pitching and the fastest i saw besides lundy was maybe 75...how hard to hit is that.........the class a teams are oviously better teams than class b but all im saying is that they are overrated....hitters are supposed to be great with great pitching and when i went to a mandan minot game, besides lundy, all the other pitchers were 75-80 when hearing that they throw 85...ppl make class a sound way to good

Quoted for truth.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:46 am

Ming01 wrote:No way Class A is overrated.  Mandan prolly just had one bad game where they couldn't score some runs and Jamestown probably pitched someone who doesnt normally pitch. Thompson is a good team and can compete with some Class A teams, but dont even say Class A is overrated.

They lose one game its a bad day.  lose 6 in a week its a bad week.  dont win all summer its a bad year.  even though all this happens they are still better just because they are class A.  just face it, this shows that class be can compete with class A.  Im not saying a B team would win state in A, just saying they can compete.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby tanner lorenz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:02 am

baseball wrote:
Ming01 wrote:No way Class A is overrated.  Mandan prolly just had one bad game where they couldn't score some runs and Jamestown probably pitched someone who doesnt normally pitch. Thompson is a good team and can compete with some Class A teams, but dont even say Class A is overrated.

They lose one game its a bad day.  lose 6 in a week its a bad week.  dont win all summer its a bad year.  even though all this happens they are still better just because they are class A.  just face it, this shows that class be can compete with class A.  Im not saying a B team would win state in A, just saying they can compete.
:D mandan and jamestown probably played a double header the night before and they were tired so thats why they lost to a class b team
tanner lorenz

Postby bballer2 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:17 pm

Class A has more, better teams probably but there is probably 2 to 3 teams a year in class B that would compete with most teams at class A level. You get the right kids from some towns and you end up with a good class B team that would compete with class A IMO... class A has better teams that can compete with eachother unlike Class B but i think if you put good class B teams in class a baseball they would compete just as well... basketball and football... that would be a different story but baseball... i think it can happen.... and another thing i think they are similar when class B teams throw there ace because usually there ace is much different then there 2 and 3 pitchers unlike class A teams i dont think many class B temas could be a class A team with a 2 or 3 pitcher but over half the time with there ace... i think i am right on that one
Last edited by bballer2 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kellygreenwonders » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Ive been trying to figure out our teams ace for a while now.... i can never really decide who it is... there are 3 pitchers that could qualify as our ace.
kellygreenwonders
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:41 pm

the only thing is thompson is without a doubt and exceptional class b team i think they could have been 4 or 5 in the east this year and 4 in the west thompson in my opinion is the only exception in class b they are a great b team
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:43 pm

again the bismarck reps beat the steele pirates with Bakkum pitching the reps had 10 hits while surrendering like 5 or 6 the game ended in the 5th via the ten run rule 11-1they also completed the seson sweep winning the seconed game 5-3
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby power-aid14 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 pm

one way i can think of maybe a reason class a might be a bit overrated is this:

Des Lacs Burlington....they ten runned ruled Devils Lake.....burlington is a very mediocre class B team.....Devils Lake has beaten the Minot Vistas

just some insight
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Yes Thompson is a great team and can beat anyone if they throw Wurtz or a Khjemus.  But what about the 4 teams that finished above Thompson in the State Tourney.  Velva can beat almost anyone if they throw Brunner or Wielder.  Midkota (Griggs County) is a very good hitting team and play well defensively.  Langdon can also beat anyone by throwing Scheafer (Adam is an underrated pitcher, IMO hes the 2 and Flink is the 3). And if Thompson can compete how about the state's "best team" according to the state tourney Steele.  Yes all the teams woudl lose some games but 3-4 of them would have made the State tourney in A (not that amazing being half of the teams make it anyway)

It's just too bad no class A teams would scheduale their varsity against Class B teams.  I know of many teams who have tried schedualing the varsity of an A team only to have to settle for a 18-0 win against the JV
Last edited by baseball on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:45 pm

baseball wrote:Yes Thompson is a great team and can beat anyone if they throw Wurtz or a Khjemus.  But what about the 4 teams that finished above Thompson in the State Tourney.  Velva can beat almost anyone if they throw Brunner or Wielder.  Midkota (Griggs County) is a very good hitting team and play well defensively.  Langdon can also beat anyone by throwing Scheafer (Adam is an underrated pitcher, IMO hes the 2 and Flink is the 3). And if Thompson can compete how about the state's "best team" according to the state tourney Steele.  Yes all the teams woudl lose some games but 3-4 of them would have made the State tourney in A (not that amazing being half of the teams make it anyway)

It's just too bad no class A teams would scheduale their varsity against Class B teams.  I know of many teams who have tried schedualing the varsity of an A team only to have to settle for a 18-0 win against the JV
If any of those teams played in the WDA none of them would make state.  Maybe Thompson if they played to their potential every game and they showed us they cant, and maybe Steele, if they ended up playing like a Beulah in a state play in game like Williston.  Thompson and Steeles High School team would get stomped by Minot and Williston.  If they played one game against Century, St. Mary's, BHS, Mandan, and Dickinson, they would maybe beat one of those teams.  They would possibly beat Beulah and they would kill Belcourt.  
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tanner lorenz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Last edited by tanner lorenz on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanner lorenz

Postby bison_18 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:52 pm

For the record, Beulah took 5th place at the Garrison Wood Bat tourney. Not too great for a team that plays class A in high school.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:02 am

Beulah is horrible anyways.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:23 pm

kel20ND:

The Bismarck "JV" team alluded to in your error message regarding Steele and their defense is the Rep's, they are mostly 16-17 year olds and most started for their high school this last spring. They play a"Babe Ruth" schedule that allows the Govs to carry only a minimal (12) players. Six of these Reps are co-rostered with the Gov's and all have played for the Gov's at one point or another this year. The "JV" is a solid team, they are 24-12 this season and that record includes playing everyone on the roster evenly, at least the first two-thirds of the season. Since than they are 10 and 2.

They also swept Steels this summer and in 2 of the four games Steele had 6 and 8 errors respectively.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:27 pm

tanner lorenz:

Pitching speed is not the only determinant of higher quality baseball. Defense among many other things is also included. I don't care if a pitcher throws 100mph if he doesn't throw strikes what good is he.

I think people are saying class a is better primarily because they have more kids to pick from, consequently: better depth, overall better defense, hitting, etc. 
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tanner lorenz » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:32 am

Saucesauer wrote:tanner lorenz:

Pitching speed is not the only determinant of higher quality baseball. Defense among many other things is also included. I don't care if a pitcher throws 100mph if he doesn't throw strikes what good is he.

I think people are saying class a is better primarily because they have more kids to pick from, consequently: better depth, overall better defense, hitting, etc. 
yes yes, i agree, but you hear how ebert is supposed to throw 90, he tops out at 83, and agreeably, right on your 2nd statement, class a has more kids that are better, i think the only different of class a and b is the quality of hitters 5-9 in class a, their much better, and class a has MORE pitchers, not nescessarily better than class b's top pitchers
tanner lorenz

Postby bisonman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:44 pm

If we went population wise... for a class B team to make class A, they should just take the stars from the regions and there you go.. Total population would be less and you'd have a team that'd compete with any class A team.
Last edited by bisonman on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class B