SDWTPRN

Postby rep » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:21 pm

the season is underway and the steele-dawson-wing-tuttle-pettibone-robinson-napoleon co-op has three wins in four tries against third-ranked velva and swept a pair from second-ranked langdon.

should these wins move steele to the no. 2 team in the state? or is everyone waiting to see how things shake out when they play washburn (game is going on right now actually, unless there is rain) before they form a hard-pressed opinion of the pirates?

this post might be a touch premature, in that i don't know the results from the steele-washburn game, but does steele look to be the second team to beat in the state? i think that just about everyone is in agreement that it is thompson's title to lose at this point, but the battle for team no. 2 could prove to be fairly interesting and i'm not sure if a team has really distinguished themselves yet.

though, depending on what happens with washburn, i would say that steele may have as good a shot as anyone.
rep

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:24 pm

The Steele-Washburn game was postponed due to rain.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:26 pm

I wouldn't see any problem with having them the #2 team in the state right now. Beating Langdon is a good win the region they are in always does well at state and Velva was ranked. It all comes down to pitching depth for Steele, I saw them lose a state championship game cause they didn't have pitching depth. Do they have any real contenders in their region?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 pm

The only contender is Washburn.  The other 3 are Shiloh, Medina, and Standing Rock.  Should be an interesting region championship.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:08 pm

has there been a make-up date set for the washburn-steele game?
rep

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:14 pm

possibly next tuesday
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison_18 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:03 pm

No disrespect to Steele, but if Velva would've pitched their guns the 2nd double-header against steele things would've came out a little different. They had two region games after that, so they weren't pitching anyone good(maybe they were doin the same, idk), so that might possibly have somethin to do with it. But none the less they are a very good baseball team. I defenitely think they will make it to state.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballer2 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:33 pm

Neither team really threw there aces and dont say it woulda turned out different... 17 runs... no excuses both teams didn't pitch there best pitchers and tahts going to happen even in the state tournament so either way I beleive it showed the better team.

Also the pirates have a big coop but have only 2 guys from a different town other than steele-dawson and only one plays from those towns.
Last edited by bballer2 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:08 pm

I wouldnt say it was a fluke Steele beat Velva.  There was a game when the Pirates hit 6 homeruns (1 was even the 9 batter...)in a double header.  They could be a very good team when they hit the ball and now that the season is a few games old they all have their timing down.  Unlike the first meeting with Velva.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison_18 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Yeah they did have 6 hr's, but the stuff that comin at them wasn't tough to hit, trust me. Velva threw one guy that was in their starting lineup, the rest were all jv pitchers.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:43 pm

And thats Steele's fault.  They just hit what was pitched to them.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:28 pm

Can SDWTPRN or Velva beat Thompson??? Does either team play Thompson this year?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison_18 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 pm

I'm not sayin it's their fault. I just hope they play each other again with somethin on the line. It would be a good game.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby TNT » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:59 pm

Velva was not suppost to beat Thompson in state legion last year and that happened 2 times in a row.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:18 am

How many players from that Legion team are on this years High School team?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby TNT » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:39 am

Most all of the kids on the legion team are on this years HS team, the same kids are not starting but all the kids have played in big football games and will not be scared of any team. 
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby js2125 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:51 am

Steele did not lose that state championship game because of lack of pitching depth. They were forced to take out there pitchers, who still had gas in the tank, due to the inning regulations put on the pitchers. They also had two much tougher games leading up to the championship game than did Cavalier. If you look at it, what really should have been done to make it fair was go by a pitch count rather than innings, that is a true test of how wore out a pitcher is. A pitcher could have a very low pitch count but still use his innings. If I remember Bakkum, from Steele, had a pitch count around 165 over twelve innings while Trenbeath had a pitch count around 180 over nine innings, which is a better judge on when a kid should be done? You tell me. 

Onto this season, Steele has a good team, yes Washburn and them will battle it out for a birth in State. They have good hitters that can hit with power but also spray the ball around the field against any pitcher. Washburn also has very good hitters who like to spray it around, not to mention a couple af lefties on the mound that can hamper a few things in terms of getting those extra bases. It will be a good match up. I talked to someone and they think the game is reschedule for next Tuesday, don't quote me on that. It will be a good one, Can't wait to see the outcome.

js2125

Postby the dynasty » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:44 am

I am tired of hearing about SDWTPRNXYZYC whatever. There are much better teams in the state. They play in a bad region and will be blown away at state.
the dynasty

Postby js2125 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:51 am

Tired of hearing about them?? This seems to be the first posting about them. You don't want to hear about them, don't read the post. Simple as that.  As for the name, leave it alone, it is the media that keeps making it alphabet soup. It was brought up at the community/school board meeting and was supposed to be only Steele-Dawson. That is the way it is sent to the papers and the news. They change it. If you have something you wish to express that has some meaning, feel free, go ahead but otherwise leave it alone.
js2125

Postby TNT » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:12 am

Steele has a good team this year and has for the past few years
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballer2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:20 am

"I am tired of hearing about SDWTPRNXYZYC whatever. There are much better teams in the state. They play in a bad region and will be blown away at state."

HAHAHA ok buddy ahhh yea they played 3rd ranked Velva and 2nd ranked Langdon and won 5 out of 6 and 5 of their starters have played in the state tournament your crazy.... they are one of the best teams in the state....

also you must be from Minot Ryan... Not getting the "ink" you want... win big games and you will get it
Last edited by bballer2 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:20 pm

[user=60]js2125[/user] wrote:
Steele did not lose that state championship game because of lack of pitching depth. They were forced to take out there pitchers, who still had gas in the tank, due to the inning regulations put on the pitchers. They also had two much tougher games leading up to the championship game than did Cavalier. If you look at it, what really should have been done to make it fair was go by a pitch count rather than innings, that is a true test of how wore out a pitcher is. A pitcher could have a very low pitch count but still use his innings. If I remember Bakkum, from Steele, had a pitch count around 165 over twelve innings while Trenbeath had a pitch count around 180 over nine innings, which is a better judge on when a kid should be done? You tell me. 

You pretty much explained why they didn't have any pitching depth, after Bakkum they didn't really have anybody else to throw in that game. They road him to get to the championship and when his innings were done didnt have anybody else. I thought the game turned when he left the game (Just my opinion) Kid was heck of a thrower and I'm sure he had gas left. But Everybody else had to go by innings pitched to, thats part of the strategy of the game is how to use your pitchers.

I'm just saying that I think if you wanna win a state championship in class B you need to have 2 solid pitchers, one will only get you so far. JMO

So what does SDWTPRN have for pitching depth this year?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:45 pm

TNT wrote:Most all of the kids on the legion team are on this years HS team, the same kids are not starting but all the kids have played in big football games and will not be scared of any team. 

Football....what does playing in a football game have to do with a baseball game?  Linton won a few titles in football and they dont even have a baseball team.  That shows just cause you play football doesnt mean you play baseball let alone be just as good.

As for no depth causing 2nd place...they threw a pitcher who threw 6 shut outs innings against THOMPSON.  Giving up only 1 or 2 hits i belive.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby TNT » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:53 pm

The kids have played big games in football and when the pressure is put on they do not fall over.  baseball you seriously think that pressure does not get to kids in big games?
Last edited by TNT on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:59 pm

yes there is pressure.  But you cant compare football and baseball when seeing who folds.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Class B