Legion v. HS

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Is there a difference in the level of play?  What do the players think?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby tanner lorenz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:27 pm

I think that Legion is a little more competitive than High School.  Mainly because of the ammount of players that are allowed to play because of age, allowing more talent to come back.  Just my opinion
tanner lorenz

Postby ndplayer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:37 pm

I agree that legion is more competetive and intense, but not because of the talent, because for the most part the talent is about the same.  The reason in my mind that legion is more competitive is because it's summer.  It's harder to focus on baseball when it's cold and windy, not to mention school is still on everyone's plate as well.  In the summer, legion baseball just feels right and everyone is just that more fired up to play on a hot summer day.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby tanner lorenz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm

ndplayer wrote:I agree that legion is more competetive and intense, but not because of the talent, because for the most part the talent is about the same.  The reason in my mind that legion is more competitive is because it's summer.  It's harder to focus on baseball when it's cold and windy, not to mention school is still on everyone's plate as well.  In the summer, legion baseball just feels right and everyone is just that more fired up to play on a hot summer day.
agreed, its much easier to pla in heat than cold weather, also, in legion, more players will end up playing because they dont have to go out for track, i kno thats the case where i play
tanner lorenz

Postby Saas25 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Personally I think Legion is way better.  It it was way more competitive plus the teams are way better.  In high school the latter 4 or 5 batters usually can't hit that well, but in legion the whole lineups are usually pretty solid.  The good thing about high school is you get to compete for your school, but legion you get to compete for your city.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison_18 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:04 pm

There's usually more tournaments during Legion season,which makes it alot of fun for the players to play different teams.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:02 am

I always thought high school was more competitive at least up in Cavalier. In legion nobody took it serious a lot of times nobody would show up for practices and they usually trying to find guys to put 9 guys on the field. Also having respect for the High School coach made ya play and work harder, legion their wasn't as much respect for young guy coach and he would have to play ya cause he didn't have a bench. I think both can be competitive in their own ways its just a matter of opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndplayer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:20 am

ndfan wrote:I always thought high school was more competitive at least up in Cavalier. In legion nobody took it serious a lot of times nobody would show up for practices and they usually trying to find guys to put 9 guys on the field. Also having respect for the High School coach made ya play and work harder, legion their wasn't as much respect for young guy coach and he would have to play ya cause he didn't have a bench. I think both can be competitive in their own ways its just a matter of opinion.

With a legion program like that, I'm not surprised to find that you think high school is more competitive.  Perhaps playing in class A is much different, but you don't miss practice and you certainly better have respect for your coach or you will sit, not because u don't want to show up, but because there are plenty of others chomping at the bit.  It actually surprises me that cavalier doesnt have a stricter program with the talent they tend to always have their.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:51 pm

It's always easier to play in the heat than in the cold, but to compare the competitivity, it's all area dependant.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:23 pm

i would say the class A legion teams are more competitive than legion B teams because the A teams usually have to pay so much to be on the team and only the kids that really want to play will play.  in class b a lot of times kids just play legion for something to do in the summer and end up getting sick of it because they don't like the amount of games or how much time it takes away from other things. atleast thats how it seemed to be in velva.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:25 pm

Coming from a Class B Legion team, saying we get sick of it is easily thrown out when it comes to tournament time.
Last edited by bisonman on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:29 pm

well yeah, thats how it should be...im just saying there are kids that get sick of it even with tournament time
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:45 pm

Everyone gets sick of things that seem to drag on sometimes. Going against and saying Class B does it isn't right.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:52 pm

ok buddy, settle down. i just said im from velva and if i remember right we won the state CLASS B championship last summer. if you think im picking on class b you're wrong.  all im saying is that the class A players in the bigger cities are going to be more serious and competitive about their baseball because they usually have to pay hundreds of dollars to play and you'll only get the players that really want to play.  i dont know where you're from but in velva we played for free.
Last edited by lefty on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bballer2 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:27 pm

im guessing PBK
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bison_18 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:46 pm

come on lefty, i didn't get sick of winning. You can't say Ely, MN wasn't the best trip you've ever been on.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby KPuck34 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:00 pm

Is Legion more competitive than High School?  Is High School more competitive than Legion?  I really think it all comes down to the community you live in and and how much support and interest there is in the local baseball programs.  I think Legion baseball is more competitive in larger communities (like Grand Forks, Fargo, Minot, Dickinson, Williston and Bismarck) because they have more than one high school baseball team and they combine their talent in the summer.  The age rule that allows some players to return to play for their legion team after they attend college or play college baseball also has an affect on the competitiveness of a program.  I think more of the smaller communities (not all) take more pride in their high school activities than summer activities.  Attending a game in a smaller community, the atmosphere (not to mention the concession stands) is unbelievable.  That's just my opinion.
KPuck34
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDBaseball » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:56 am

I agree that the cities in ND have much more competitive legion programs than high school.  They seem to always have some good legion players coming back from college and they have so many kids tryout for their teams.  The only stupid part is that the larger towns keep kids on the younger legion teams if there are older kids who want to play...I think that whoever is the better player should make the better team...It shouldn't matter if you are 16 or 19...if the younger players are better they should make the team...That would make for a lot better summer and some more succesful programs as well.
UNDBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby power-aid14 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:33 am

any class b legion teams reach 10 wins yet?
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:56 am

One drawback has been the waning interest in towns with Legion and HS baseball. Over the course of years the Legion takes a back seat to the HS team.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ticket0115 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:43 pm

I think that legion is more competitive hands down. There is alot more co-ops in legion thus giving them the edge. At least where im from.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:55 pm

i know where i come from Legion takes a back seat to High School.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison_18 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:58 pm

State legion is by far harder to win than state high school. There are more teams in legion and they are usually better quality teams.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Return to Class B