High School season 2022

High School season 2022

Postby sportsphenom » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Who are the teams to beat this year and who will come out of each region.
Let’s get some discussion going, time to play ball ⚾️

I’m only familiar with the eastern side of the state so I’m going with
Casselton, Thompson, LaMoure, Langdon and North Star to make a return to state.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: High School season 2022

Postby BelfieldBantams » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:33 pm

I'm really only familiar with the East also.

Region1 - Cass has a huge talented senior class so I would agree there. N. Cass has a team full of seniors also. Kindred lost a lot of seniors but they should be in the mix.
Region2 - I'd put Mayville in the mix also. They may be younger than Thompson but they can definitely get it done.
Region3 - My guess is LaMoure is the best team in the state. Lots of pitching depth, very solid defense and their lineup is stacked with sticks.
Region 4 - At least I think that's where Langdon is. I know they lost a lot, but they have an impressive program with plenty of talent behind those graduated seniors.

Would not surprise me if at least three of the seeds at state come out of this list.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm

Regions listed in the link below
https://ndhsaanow.com/teams/baseball
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Finally, baseball! Have the western teams been practicing outside this week? I don't think our boys have been outside yet, and next week doesn't look very promising either.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:03 pm

bingobangobongo wrote:Finally, baseball! Have the western teams been practicing outside this week? I don't think our boys have been outside yet, and next week doesn't look very promising either.

Yes they have been, it's been a little bit windy, but it's definitely better than being indoors!!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:23 pm

bingobangobongo wrote:Finally, baseball! Have the western teams been practicing outside this week? I don't think our boys have been outside yet, and next week doesn't look very promising either.

The ground is near playable (in some areas), it is just going to be very cold this week.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Attack the Process » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:46 am

sportsphenom wrote:Who are the teams to beat this year and who will come out of each region.
Let’s get some discussion going, time to play ball ⚾️

I’m only familiar with the eastern side of the state so I’m going with
Casselton, Thompson, LaMoure, Langdon and North Star to make a return to state.

Here are my top two finishers in each region with the top team going to state:

Region 1:
Central Cass
Kindred-Richland

Region 2:
Thompson
MPCG

Region 3:
LLM
Carrington

Region 4:
Grafton
Langdon

Region 5:
North Star
Bottineau

Region 6:
Velva-D/A
Bishop Ryan

Region 7:
Renville County
Kenmare/B/BC

Region 8:
Beulah
Shiloh
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 pm

Was anyone at the Shiloh Invitational over the weekend and know any of the results? Normally they have some of the best teams in the state.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:22 am

LaMoure def Shiloh 2-0
Kindred-Richland def Park River 7-2
Kindred-Richland def Velva 12-2
Thompson def Velva 16-0
Thompson def LaMoure 2-1
Rugby def KC/NGS 1-0
Rugby def Grafton 4-1
Bishop Ryan def Park River 9-1
KC/NGS def Grafton 7-5

No score known for Bishop Ryan/Shiloh
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:13 am

Kind of surprised to see Velva get beat that badly in both games. Thompson and Kindred-Richland are both very good teams, but I thought Velva would put up a little better fight.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:24 pm

So the weather has and is going to really raise heck with the rest of this season. I know the southeast didn't get hit with the snow like the rest of the state did, any chance we see a number of games being moved to playable fields in that part of the state? In the southwest I can see a number of teams trying to move to the few fields that are turf. Tough year to be an AD! I can see a lot of games being played in a short period of time with a number of nonregion games being canceled all together.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:31 pm

Sportsrube wrote:So the weather has and is going to really raise heck with the rest of this season. I know the southeast didn't get hit with the snow like the rest of the state did, any chance we see a number of games being moved to playable fields in that part of the state? In the southwest I can see a number of teams trying to move to the few fields that are turf. Tough year to be an AD! I can see a lot of games being played in a short period of time with a number of nonregion games being canceled all together.

Going to be a 3-week season for some schools.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:27 pm

What is going to happen to the baseball season? How many games will get played? How do you decide who will keep playing. Almost impossible to get all the regional games in... So what do they do? If they jam them into a few weeks.... do teams have enough pitching? Do they extend the number of pitches and shorten the rest time? I don't think so... the kids arms are not in shape... injuries..... Wining percentage? NOPE.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:24 am

maddog1971 wrote:What is going to happen to the baseball season? How many games will get played? How do you decide who will keep playing. Almost impossible to get all the regional games in... So what do they do? If they jam them into a few weeks.... do teams have enough pitching? Do they extend the number of pitches and shorten the rest time? I don't think so... the kids arms are not in shape... injuries..... Wining percentage? NOPE.

I know it used to be that a few regions had the rule where regional games took precedent over non-region games if there were postponements and also had that if your field wasn't able to host a game because of field conditions you had to forfeit. I don't know how fair that is, but I know it's been done before.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:37 am

Know it's short notice, but would really be fun to see some of these schools with playable fields to host some big tourneys to try to get as many games in as possible. Would take a lot of ADs/coaches getting together to make it work. As a high school baseball fan, would love to go watch a bunch of teams from across the state in 1 location on various days.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:59 am

I know this isn't Class B, but I see that Legion Post 400 in Fargo is already playing games out of state and has a full schedule of games for April and May. They have their regular "varsity" team and their U16 team going.

Are these kids that have chosen to start their Legion season early instead of playing high school ball? Or are these kids that weren't good enough to make the varsity high school team that are just filling in and getting games in until the high school players are done with their season?
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:19 pm

These are kids that chose to give up their high school seasons in order to play Post 400. There are kids on the U16 team that would make some Class A varsity rosters.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:10 pm

classB4ever wrote:Know it's short notice, but would really be fun to see some of these schools with playable fields to host some big tourneys to try to get as many games in as possible. Would take a lot of ADs/coaches getting together to make it work. As a high school baseball fan, would love to go watch a bunch of teams from across the state in 1 location on various days.

Region 2 softball has chosen three dates where all 8 teams are going to get together and play eight games. The first set of games is Monday in Mayville.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BelfieldBantams » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:36 pm

Enderlin is hosting one of these also for baseball next week Friday and Saturday. Looks like every team that is going will get at least 2 games. I think they are trying to do either 6 or 7 games a day.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon May 02, 2022 1:43 pm

Enderlin has a great facility. I really enjoy watching games there. It seems like you are playing in a old school facility with lots of character. Hopefully the weather lets them play.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon May 02, 2022 2:45 pm

It's going to be a joke of a high school season. For most of the state outside of the SE, teams can't even get outside to practice/play. Pitching arms will not have been properly managed as they haven't had enough game "mound" time. The east has a huge advantage along with teams with a lot of past experience as teams on the rise won't get enough ABs, etc. Then, it will be a single-elimination state tournament where the "best" team wins.

Post 400 has a ton of $$$ generated from pull tabs, etc. Unfortunately but also realistically, they see no real value in donning their school colors for an abbreviated high school season when they can jump start their summer season, get increased exposure, and have a lot of fun traveling the nation for games. I wouldn't be surprised to see this begin to impact Bismarck as well as other bedroom communities.

Imagine a scenario where fall football didn't exist, and there was a high school baseball season from early August until late September where the weather wasn't a factor.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon May 02, 2022 9:57 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:It's going to be a joke of a high school season. For most of the state outside of the SE, teams can't even get outside to practice/play. Pitching arms will not have been properly managed as they haven't had enough game "mound" time. The east has a huge advantage along with teams with a lot of past experience as teams on the rise won't get enough ABs, etc. Then, it will be a single-elimination state tournament where the "best" team wins.

Post 400 has a ton of $$$ generated from pull tabs, etc. Unfortunately but also realistically, they see no real value in donning their school colors for an abbreviated high school season when they can jump start their summer season, get increased exposure, and have a lot of fun traveling the nation for games. I wouldn't be surprised to see this begin to impact Bismarck as well as other bedroom communities.

Imagine a scenario where fall football didn't exist, and there was a high school baseball season from early August until late September where the weather wasn't a factor.

So what is the solution?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BelfieldBantams » Tue May 03, 2022 9:46 am

ballaholic#3 wrote:It's going to be a joke of a high school season. For most of the state outside of the SE, teams can't even get outside to practice/play. Pitching arms will not have been properly managed as they haven't had enough game "mound" time. The east has a huge advantage along with teams with a lot of past experience as teams on the rise won't get enough ABs, etc. Then, it will be a single-elimination state tournament where the "best" team wins.

Believe it or not, the teams in the SE are dealing with it too. There are many teams that haven't had a full practice outside yet. And are still having problems getting games in due to wet fields. I believe Shiloh has played the most games in the entire state (yes due to a turfed field).

I thought a few years ago that the spring season is not about the best team in each region going to state. Instead it is the team that can pull it together the fastest. We're down to a 3 week season for these teams to start and then figure out who is their best team in the region.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballaholic#3 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 am

No great solution but 3 possible ones off top of my head.

1. Most realistic-high school baseball extends into mid June followed by a short Legion season. A negative consequence is summer involvement will possibly dip, and/or you’ll see more teams in bigger towns offering Legion earlier (like Post 400)

2. No high school baseball- easy in theory, but some towns would legitimately suffer. I believe possibly in class A schools that this is more realistic. Legion season would start earlier and kids would get more games in for a longer season.

3. Switch fall and spring sports- makes more sense in this climate. Football would end with good weather, kids that get injured have a summer to recover. Track would get outside right away and athletes would be prepped for a good season. It wouldn’t be such a bad thing for kids to get some breaks from activities during the school year. Maybe girls basketball starts a little earlier and doesn’t run up against boys basketball. Then, girls would get geared up for spring volleyball. Makes sense to me, but it won’t work because of the tradition of football in the fall. I’d argue that high school football tradition is dying in this state with a lack of parity in most contests at all levels even up through state title… this is a pipe dream but you can’t argue that it makes some sense on a surface level.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:No great solution but 3 possible ones off top of my head.

1. Most realistic-high school baseball extends into mid June followed by a short Legion season. A negative consequence is summer involvement will possibly dip, and/or you’ll see more teams in bigger towns offering Legion earlier (like Post 400)

2. No high school baseball- easy in theory, but some towns would legitimately suffer. I believe possibly in class A schools that this is more realistic. Legion season would start earlier and kids would get more games in for a longer season.

3. Switch fall and spring sports- makes more sense in this climate. Football would end with good weather, kids that get injured have a summer to recover. Track would get outside right away and athletes would be prepped for a good season. It wouldn’t be such a bad thing for kids to get some breaks from activities during the school year. Maybe girls basketball starts a little earlier and doesn’t run up against boys basketball. Then, girls would get geared up for spring volleyball. Makes sense to me, but it won’t work because of the tradition of football in the fall. I’d argue that high school football tradition is dying in this state with a lack of parity in most contests at all levels even up through state title… this is a pipe dream but you can’t argue that it makes some sense on a surface level.

Your number 3 legitimately makes the most sense. Could you imagine the uproar if football wasn't played in the fall? I've also been a big proponent of switching it back so girls and boys basketball would take place in different seasons.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Class B