PITCH COUNTS FOR LITTLE LEAGUE

PITCH COUNTS FOR LITTLE LEAGUE

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 am

I just watched little league tournament where they had pitch counts limits and I understand the concept of protecting kids arms. These were teams made up from small towns where rosters not deep with talent or numbers so as they progressed for the day teams were putting up kids that had difficult time to pitch or probably wouldn't have been pitching in the past without pitch count limits. But with the current pitch count limits most kids can't complete even a game even under normal conditions and especially for little league where they are learning to throw ball for control. The pitch count of 75 pitches would even difficult for major leaguers to complete a game with that pitch count. The result is we get more kids pitching who shouldn't be pitching and games get to be marathons. I think this hurts baseball because nobody likes games where they become marathons and especially for the kids playing the games. I don't know how to fix this because I understand the need to protect kids but it seems to me we have gone to far in one direction on this. I remember as kids when I was young we played baseball all day long for fun and I know we threw more than 75 times during a day. I think it comes down to coaches, parents, and umpires to monitor the game watch kids as they play to see if they are throwing to much not a pitch count. I believe this how we develop and build arm strength over period of time and what needs to be taught. Also not letting your little leaguers throw anything but fastball and changeup because I believe more arms have been hurt by kids throwing curve and sliders than throwing to many pitches. But I would like to here some thoughts on this.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: PITCH COUNTS FOR LITTLE LEAGUE

Postby leroybla » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm

When my son played little league baseball, he was larger and stronger than most of his peers, and could throw hard and fairly accurately. As such he dominated many games and felt he could pitch all day. It seemed at the time that the inning count (in those days) leveled the playing field more than protected young arms.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 am

I think it will be a good thing. Getting more kids to develop their pitching. How many times do you see a HS or legion team that basically has one or two good pitchers? It may be hard to watch at little league, but its worse to watch at HS or legion IMO.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsnut5 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:52 pm

I am totally for protecting the arms of young pitchers, but the very limited pitch counts actually hurt the development of pitchers. If the pitchers have any coaching at all, they can throw 75 pitches easily by the end of the season. Arm injuries are rarely from over use. They are almost always a result of poor mechanics.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsnut5 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:10 pm

A 4 day Legion Tournament Pitching Rule.

0-30 pitches can pitch next day
31-45 pitches 1 day rest
46-60 pitches 2 days rest
61-80 pitches 3 days rest
80+ 4 days rest
2 appearances allowed - what is this about if you are limiting the number of pitches

We are talking about 16-19 year old kids. This set up does not allow pitchers to develop. A 19 year old, with good mechanics, can throw 60 pitches in his sleep. This is a 4 day tournament, not a 162 game season. Let the players play and the coaches coach. This restriction is set up to protect players and their arms, I get it, but not every player is the same. Some, with poor mechanics can only handle the above, others with good mechanics, are forced to ice after games even though they could throw all day long and never experience discomfort.

Develop proper warm-up techniques, work on proper mechanics, and build arm strength and flexibility. If this is done at a young age, these pitchers will not need to be protected by foolish rules.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Return to Class B