Calen Schwabe, Thompson (Sr.)
Braxton Hewitt, Carrington (Sr.)
Jackson Hankey, Park River-FL (Sr.)
Tyler Kliniske, Grafton (Sr.)
Jayden Komrosky, North Star (Sr.)
Anders Johnson, Rugby (Sr.)
Eli Stewart, Bishop Ryan (Sr.)
Noah Sloka, Garrison-Max (Sr.)
Jarett Vendsel, Des Lacs-Burlington (Sr.)
Alex Nelson, Lewis & Clark/Parshall (Sr.)
Jeremy Leintz, Hazen (Sr.)
Karson Backer, Washburn/Wilton/Center-Stanton (Sr.)
Jayden Shipman, Carrington (Jr.)
Mikey Morris, Beulah (Jr.)
Cadyn Schwabe, Thompson (So.)

2nd Team
Andrew Jahnke, Central Cass (Sr.)
Jacob Tupa, Larimore (Sr.)
Seth Soderholm, Sheyenne-New Rockford (Sr.)
Dillon Marco, Rugby (Sr.)
Austin Kittleson, Bottineau (Sr.)
Joey Zeece, Bishop Ryan (Sr.)
Hunter Sand, Midkota/Dakota Prairie (Jr.)
Marcus Niemann, Grafton (Jr.)
Jacob Delvo, Langdon (Jr.)
Aaron Grandy, Des Lacs-Burlington (Jr.)
Nicholas Effertz, Velva/D-A/Sawyer (Jr.)
Marcus Hughes, Thompson (So.)
Adam Zavalney, Park River-FL (So.)
Cannaan Fagerland, Shiloh Christian (So.)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby lifewater3 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Who's the upset team to win, other than Thompson or kindred
lifewater3
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Rivershark » Sun May 28, 2017 2:30 am

You can through Park River in the mix with Thompson and Kindred. I don't think either of the top two teams would be excited to play the Aggies. If it weren't for about 2 innings of errors, the Aggies could have easily been undefeated also. In fact, I think you could argue that the Aggies strength of schedule was slightly better than Thompson and Kindred. Park River was the last team to beat Thompson in Legion ball last year and this years team is much better all around. A three game tournament is going to be different for every team in this tournament. I don't really understand why regionals are double elimination and the state tournament is not. There is no room for little mistakes when one loss takes you out of contentions for the title. Park River comes into the tournament sporting some pretty good numbers:

Jackson Hankey (.421 AVG) 28 RBI, 26 Runs, 5 HR, .754 SLG
Adam Zavalney (.453 AVG) 32 RBI,33 Runs, .750 SLG
Tom Magnusson (.411 AVG) 27 RBI, 21 Runs
Nate Zavalney (.458 AVG) 18 RBI, 26 Runs / 3-0 Wins with a 0.00 ERA
Team HR's -12
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Mon May 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Quick question - what is up with the discrepancy in number of games played? (I am assuming it is weather related.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby LILchump » Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 pm

According to the NDHSAA website schedule and records, the records on this site look different. NDHSAA site has:

#1 Thompson (19-0)
#2 Kindred-Richland (27-1)
#3 Park River-F-L (20-2)
#4 Carrington (17-6)
#5 Bishop Ryan (25-4)
NR MLS-KGB (20-5)
NR Shiloh Christian (25-8)
NR Rugby (17-7)

Why the differences?
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Kindred never lost a Varsity game...some of the 2nd games are never reported as to whether they are JV or V games.

Getting accurate baseball scores/results/standings is a living H*ll in the spring as not all schools tell you whether game 2 is Varsity or JV and media just reports those G2 scores as V games...both NDHSAA & northdakota-scores.net really are just guessing.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bisonation6 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:48 pm

I don't care how mad this post is gonna make anyone. I firmly believe what I say.
THERE SHOULD BE A TWO MAN UMPIRING CREW FOR THE STATE B

I have been saying this for years in the MLB. You add extra umps down the lines in the postseason, you get extra calls! Example: 2012 NL Wild Card Game Infield Fly on a ball in medium deep left.

Same logic applies to ND State B Baseball. These guys umpire in two-man crews all season long. All of a sudden, you put guys in a position they haven't been in all year. Extra umpires out of the ordinary always equals extra calls. In the Bishop Ryan-Carrington game, obstruction was called by Ump #3 on a call just as blatantly obvious as the Infield Fly the Atlanta Braves fell victim to in 2012. Only difference being obstruction is not as well-known as a rule so most fans at the ballpark in Jamestown didn't have any clue what happened.

Don't flag this post and remove it for complaining about officials. My point here is to generate discussion, not to say how bad a call was. Class A is fine for a three-man for state. They have three-mans for most regular season games. Class B right now is a whole different story.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:53 am

bisonation6 wrote:I don't care how mad this post is gonna make anyone. I firmly believe what I say.
THERE SHOULD BE A TWO MAN UMPIRING CREW FOR THE STATE B

I have been saying this for years in the MLB. You add extra umps down the lines in the postseason, you get extra calls! Example: 2012 NL Wild Card Game Infield Fly on a ball in medium deep left.

Same logic applies to ND State B Baseball. These guys umpire in two-man crews all season long. All of a sudden, you put guys in a position they haven't been in all year. Extra umpires out of the ordinary always equals extra calls. In the Bishop Ryan-Carrington game, obstruction was called by Ump #3 on a call just as blatantly obvious as the Infield Fly the Atlanta Braves fell victim to in 2012. Only difference being obstruction is not as well-known as a rule so most fans at the ballpark in Jamestown didn't have any clue what happened.

Don't flag this post and remove it for complaining about officials. My point here is to generate discussion, not to say how bad a call was. Class A is fine for a three-man for state. They have three-mans for most regular season games. Class B right now is a whole different story.

You may be correct, however, your example is poor in this case IMO. A one man crew could've caught that obstruction call. As you said it was "blatantly obvious". I don't know that I agree with your logic. As long as they get the calls right, what difference does it make if they make "more" calls? I see your point about positions, but not so sure it is a bad thing to make more calls right.

Good day of baseball yesterday. I believe the four best teams are playing tonight. Should be a great semi final night.
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hook » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:04 pm

I like the 3 man crew. I believe it makes the game better when the calls are made correctly. The 3 man crew makes for more confidence decision making because they are more easily in position to make the correct call. Once you get to the state tournament you are working with better teams and when high end teams play against each other more close calls are bound to happen. Positioning for an umpire is extremely important.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Does a 3 person crew miss this?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonation6 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Flip wrote:Does a 3 person crew miss this?

Yes. He ran in front of the other ump who was in the middle of the field where the third ump would have been in a three-man. Plus, home plate guy is responsible for watching the touch at third in a two-man and maybe even a three-man, but not sure. I've seen that video before and that is just straight up horrible umpiring. To top it off, you see the guy on the field is watching the play at the plate and enjoying the game, not doing his job and being ready for a force or snap throw back to first base or even the batter-runner not touching first and going straight to second.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Thompson scores one in the 6th to tie and one in the 7th to win. Also threw two Carrington runners out at the plate. Great semi-final.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:07 am

NodakQ2 wrote:Thompson scores one in the 6th to tie and one in the 7th to win. Also threw two Carrington runners out at the plate. Great semi-final.

Thats good Baseball... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby hook » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 am

how about that state tournament!? I was able to watch every game and it was a ton of fun. here are a few takeaways from the tournament and a few questions.
1. I wish Calen Schwabe would have been healthy he is really fun to watch pitch.
2. Park Rivers has some major talent. Big arms all over the field and pop in the bats.
3. Is it true Jackson Hankeys HR was found on the other side of the river?
4. Did PR's Nathan Zavalney actually have a 0.00 era through the season... as a sophomore?
5. I got to watch Langdon play this year a few times and they might be the 3rd best team in the state... that NE region is going to be tuff to get out of in the future with both Langdon and PR being very young and talented.
6. Kindred and Carrington are very well coached and that 3/4th place game was sure fun to watch. no quit in those boys.
7. I thought the fans and parents for all teams were great, respectful and made the atmosphere for the games fun to be at.
8. That trick play pickoff was really well executed... I was totally blindsided by it and I hope midco sports has it online because I want to see it again.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby momofathletes » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:35 am

momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:11 pm

momofathletes wrote:http://www.wdaz.com/sports/baseball/4278208-sports-sunday-june-4th-hidden-ball-trick-makes-play-week
Coach Shwabe had no clue what happened on that play. I thought the ball went out to center LOL. Well done
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Class B