2017 Legion Baseball

2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:04 am

According to the North Dakota American Legion Baseball facebook page they have made a few changes to Class A and Class B regions. They also have added an advisory committee of coaches and media to advise the athletic committee.

Members of the BAG (Baseball Advisory Group) are:
Todd Larson, Former Minot Vistas Coach, BAG Chariman
Reggie Jackson, Umpire, Current Assistant Coach at Gardner
Kevin Bratland, Enderlin Legion Coach
Dirk Hausauer, Washburn Legion Coach
Shane Shoeneberg, Willison Legion Coach, Williston Park and Recreation Coordinator
Jake Kulland, KNDK AM 1080/Sports Broadcaster Langdon

Class A (4 Regions, 6 Teams)
Northeast Region: Devils Lake, Fargo Post 2 Jets, Fargo Post 400 Trappers, Grand Forks Blues, Grafton, Park River

Northwest Region: Beulah, Minot Metros, Surrey, Velva, Watford City, Williston Voyagers

Southeast Region: Casselton, Fargo Post 2 Bombers, Kindred, Valley City, Wahpeton, West Fargo Aces

Southwest Region: Bismarck Capitals (Shiloh), Bismarck Reps, Dickinson Volunteers, Hettinger, Mandan A's, Washburn

State Class A Tournament: Grand Forks July 26-30

Class B (4 Regions, 8 teams)
Northeast Region: Thompson, Nelson County, Hatton, Cando, Minto, Langdon, Harvey, Larimore

Southeast Region: Ellendale, Enderlin, Fairmont/Hankinson, Galchutt, LaMoure, Lidgerwood/Wyndmere, Lisbon, Oakes

Central Region: Gardner, Carrington, Kidder County, Hillsboro-CV, Hope-Finley, New Rockford, Harwood, Mayville

West Region: Bottineau, Burlington, Crosby, Garrison, Hazen, Makoti, Renville County, Stanley

State Class B Tournament: Steele July 26-30


Teams moving to class A: Park River, Kindred, Bismarck Captials (Shiloh), Surrey, Hettinger
Teams moving to class B: Bottineau
Teams moving regions in class B: Hatton to Northeast to replace Park River (went to A), Kidder County moving to Central to replace Hatton (went to northeast).

Thoughts? I think the adding of the advisory group is a great addition. Also like that Class A went to 24 teams. I feel like it is very balanced.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby Rivershark » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:42 am

I'm not complaining, but how does Park River end up getting moved to "A" and Thompson and Carrington stay "B" ?

Also, was there any mention on what Division State Champions advance to the Regional Payoffs?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:45 am

Or the fact that Hettinger is Class A but Hazen is class B?
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby scc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

With Kidder County moving, does this mean the Central gets screwed again by having only one spot to state up for grabs?
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby Rivershark » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm not convinced whether it is good or not to be in the "A" Division with the Junior Legion teams from GF and Fargo. I think I would rather play Thompson, Carrington or Hazen. The one good thing would be that if you win state, you can advance. But who knows, it seems like that changes every year.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:33 am

Doesn't Legion use the enrollment from all the towns represented on a roster? For instance, if Park River has players from Adams, Fordville, Endinburg, Hoople, etc. all of those are added in? Where as Thompson, Carrington, Hazen probably have all players from just those communities.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 am

scc wrote:With Kidder County moving, does this mean the Central gets screwed again by having only one spot to state up for grabs?

I know state was supposed to be in the western part of the state this year, so I am guessing with Kidder County was elected to host, they were still in the west. Probably weren't going to take it away from them after the region move. Yeah it is bad luck that the host team is coming out of the central again, and 7 teams are fighting for one spot. But I would have to say that I don't think a city would bid for a state tournament if they didn't think their team was good enough to make it without the automatic bid. Kidder made it last year out of the west, and return most of their team.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby scc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:39 am

pakkyzoo wrote:
scc wrote:With Kidder County moving, does this mean the Central gets screwed again by having only one spot to state up for grabs?

I know state was supposed to be in the western part of the state this year, so I am guessing with Kidder County was elected to host, they were still in the west. Probably weren't going to take it away from them after the region move. Yeah it is bad luck that the host team is coming out of the central again, and 7 teams are fighting for one spot. But I would have to say that I don't think a city would bid for a state tournament if they didn't think their team was good enough to make it without the automatic bid. Kidder made it last year out of the west, and return most of their team.

That's fine, but get rid of the host team requirement and let them earn it. If I'm the other teams in the Central, I'd be livid.
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:54 am

scc wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:
scc wrote:With Kidder County moving, does this mean the Central gets screwed again by having only one spot to state up for grabs?

I know state was supposed to be in the western part of the state this year, so I am guessing with Kidder County was elected to host, they were still in the west. Probably weren't going to take it away from them after the region move. Yeah it is bad luck that the host team is coming out of the central again, and 7 teams are fighting for one spot. But I would have to say that I don't think a city would bid for a state tournament if they didn't think their team was good enough to make it without the automatic bid. Kidder made it last year out of the west, and return most of their team.

That's fine, but get rid of the host team requirement and let them earn it. If I'm the other teams in the Central, I'd be livid.

Doubt it will ever happen. All the way up from the state tournament, to midwest regional, to national tournament, the host team is in. I was told that part of it is they want to offer towns/cities the opportunity to host a tournament rather than just give it to a bigger city. I will say I wish they would get rid of it too. Three years ago Langdon hosted it. They had teams staying in basements of churches, peoples houses, and didn't have hotel rooms for many fans. They ran a great tournament, but I know many teams and fans were disappointed in the rooming situation. You put that tournament in a city that is bigger you don't have that problem.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:57 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Doesn't Legion use the enrollment from all the towns represented on a roster? For instance, if Park River has players from Adams, Fordville, Endinburg, Hoople, etc. all of those are added in? Where as Thompson, Carrington, Hazen probably have all players from just those communities.

Yep it is supposed to be 10-12 total enrollment from every school you draw a player from. But another factor is you are supposed to play for the closed team to your address. For example, about 3 years a go a player played high school for Beulah, but legion for Hazen because his address was Hazen. I am not sure if that means they add Beulah and Hazen enrollment? Or that since his address is Hazen you just take Hazen's enrollment.

Last year Miller and Monroe were Kidder County's enrollment, on Hazen's team.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby hook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:11 pm

I can see PR moving up to class A because of talent but as far as the enrollment goes it doesn't make much sense. even with kids from Park River, Fordville and Hoople (Adams no longer has a school and the kids from there are already counted in PR's enrollmen) their enrollment is less than Thompson, Carrington, Hazen and many other class B schools. I think the programs that moved from B to A will do just fine and I personally would like to see class A expanded to include more of the better B programs. I would also like to know how Hazen got the ok from the state to let the Kidder County kids that were super seniors play on thier team... it clearly states in the legion rule book that "players enrolled in college must play for the team for which they played durring the 2015 season. College players are not eligible for a transfer or option (rule 4.C.)". Rule 4. C. is the rule that says a player may play outside his recruitment area if the new team is closer to the players domicile.
hook
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby NDPREP » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 pm

In regard to haven I am pretty sure their parent/guardian is a hazen schools employee so they actually moved the year before. No idea how that impacts what team you play for.
NDPREP
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:04 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby observer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:07 am

Monroe and Miller could play for Hazen because Millers' parents moved to Hazen (they were/are Monroes Guardians).
observer
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Park River encompasses more than Park River and Fordville, they include Edinberg/ Valley, and parts of some other school districts but I would think this would push them up on enrollment numbers. Also Nelson county has to be pushing enrollment numbers to be in class b because they include Dakota prairie, Lakota, Griggs county, Midkota and fringe from several other schools.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby winners&losers » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:10 pm

The same argument could be made for Surrey moving to A and Bottineau moving to B, when Bottineau is double the size.
winners&losers
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby Rivershark » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Park River encompasses more than Park River and Fordville, they include Edinberg/ Valley, and parts of some other school districts but I would think this would push them up on enrollment numbers. Also Nelson county has to be pushing enrollment numbers to be in class b because they include Dakota prairie, Lakota, Griggs county, Midkota and fringe from several other schools.


The two main reasons for Park River moving up to the A Division were:
1. Their baseball programs numbers have been very solid and growing over the last several years.
2. They have been fielding teams that can compete at this level.
As far as I know, enrollment numbers had very little effect in the decision. They basically want a program who's numbers are not changing every other year.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Nelson County is the Midkota-Dakota Prairie-Griggs County-Lakota high school co-op for legion. 1 time in 12 years they have had a player not from one of those schools. Their legion roster this year will have 11 players as all, 4 come back from college. If they didn't have that rule, Nelson County wouldn't have a team this year.

I agree, stability and the fact the athletic committee wanted to get class A to 24 teams was a big factor in why Park River is moving up.

Also doesn't Surrey pick up a few kids from surrounded schools? I heard Our Redeemers sent kids there to play? Maybe not.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:25 pm

The coming back from college does help the numbers but I wish they would have made the rule so that not only about half of last years seniors can play. This is the case for our team their were four seniors last year on the team 2 can play but 2 can't play. If your going to allow half a class to play they should make it one way or the other. My feeling is the rule should state that if you haven't turned 19 before end of last season you are eligible to play another season. These kids have played together all their lives and at the end they get split up. It would help for numbers in many of the smaller class b teams because numbers are always a problem. We have had to play with a lot of babe ruth kids last few years. We have played nelson county and I know they have always had just legion age kids playing against us they may have to play younger kids. I am not totally without bias because effects my son because its going to be hard for him to watch his classmates play baseball and he can't because of when he was born.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby Rivershark » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Does anyone know the tournament trail for the Legion 'A' teams? I know the state tournament is in Grand Forks.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby winners&losers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:12 am

pakkyzoo wrote:Nelson County is the Midkota-Dakota Prairie-Griggs County-Lakota high school co-op for legion. 1 time in 12 years they have had a player not from one of those schools. Their legion roster this year will have 11 players as all, 4 come back from college. If they didn't have that rule, Nelson County wouldn't have a team this year.

I agree, stability and the fact the athletic committee wanted to get class A to 24 teams was a big factor in why Park River is moving up.

Also doesn't Surrey pick up a few kids from surrounded schools? I heard Our Redeemers sent kids there to play? Maybe not.



They do pick up a couple from Our Redeemers, but that's for high school. In legion it's all about where they live, so if those ORCS kids live in surrey, they play for surrey.
winners&losers
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Wishek and Linton are joining together to form a Legion team this year. Not positive, but I believe they will be in the Southeast Region.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:54 pm

winners&losers wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Nelson County is the Midkota-Dakota Prairie-Griggs County-Lakota high school co-op for legion. 1 time in 12 years they have had a player not from one of those schools. Their legion roster this year will have 11 players as all, 4 come back from college. If they didn't have that rule, Nelson County wouldn't have a team this year.

I agree, stability and the fact the athletic committee wanted to get class A to 24 teams was a big factor in why Park River is moving up.

Also doesn't Surrey pick up a few kids from surrounded schools? I heard Our Redeemers sent kids there to play? Maybe not.



They do pick up a couple from Our Redeemers, but that's for high school. In legion it's all about where they live, so if those ORCS kids live in surrey, they play for surrey.

That's wrong. Yes you play with the closest legion team to where you live, but your schools enrollment still follows that player. Meaning if a player lives in surrey, goes to Our Redeemers, Our Redeemer's enrollment is added to Surrey's total because that's where he goes to school. There is a specific spot when you register the players on your team for their high school and enrollment.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby LILchump » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
winners&losers wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Nelson County is the Midkota-Dakota Prairie-Griggs County-Lakota high school co-op for legion. 1 time in 12 years they have had a player not from one of those schools. Their legion roster this year will have 11 players as all, 4 come back from college. If they didn't have that rule, Nelson County wouldn't have a team this year.

I agree, stability and the fact the athletic committee wanted to get class A to 24 teams was a big factor in why Park River is moving up.

Also doesn't Surrey pick up a few kids from surrounded schools? I heard Our Redeemers sent kids there to play? Maybe not.



They do pick up a couple from Our Redeemers, but that's for high school. In legion it's all about where they live, so if those ORCS kids live in surrey, they play for surrey.

That's wrong. Yes you play with the closest legion team to where you live, but your schools enrollment still follows that player. Meaning if a player lives in surrey, goes to Our Redeemers, Our Redeemer's enrollment is added to Surrey's total because that's where he goes to school. There is a specific spot when you register the players on your team for their high school and enrollment.


From what I understand, that's correct about Surrey claiming ORCS numbers. However, what I don't understand is this... The past few years I've noticed Surrey's legion team carrying kids from not just Surrey and ORCS, but Bishop Ryan and Minot High as well. "Technically," according to the rule book, wouldn't they be supposed to compete at the AA level? Not that I necessarily think they should, but if there are going to be rules, I think you should follow them when it comes to things like that. I don't think it to be fair to teams Surrey was competing against in the past who struggle to get kids to come out in those small towns.
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 am

LILchump wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:
winners&losers wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Nelson County is the Midkota-Dakota Prairie-Griggs County-Lakota high school co-op for legion. 1 time in 12 years they have had a player not from one of those schools. Their legion roster this year will have 11 players as all, 4 come back from college. If they didn't have that rule, Nelson County wouldn't have a team this year.

I agree, stability and the fact the athletic committee wanted to get class A to 24 teams was a big factor in why Park River is moving up.

Also doesn't Surrey pick up a few kids from surrounded schools? I heard Our Redeemers sent kids there to play? Maybe not.



They do pick up a couple from Our Redeemers, but that's for high school. In legion it's all about where they live, so if those ORCS kids live in surrey, they play for surrey.

That's wrong. Yes you play with the closest legion team to where you live, but your schools enrollment still follows that player. Meaning if a player lives in surrey, goes to Our Redeemers, Our Redeemer's enrollment is added to Surrey's total because that's where he goes to school. There is a specific spot when you register the players on your team for their high school and enrollment.


From what I understand, that's correct about Surrey claiming ORCS numbers. However, what I don't understand is this... The past few years I've noticed Surrey's legion team carrying kids from not just Surrey and ORCS, but Bishop Ryan and Minot High as well. "Technically," according to the rule book, wouldn't they be supposed to compete at the AA level? Not that I necessarily think they should, but if there are going to be rules, I think you should follow them when it comes to things like that. I don't think it to be fair to teams Surrey was competing against in the past who struggle to get kids to come out in those small towns.

I agree. I think this is overlooked a bit. I remember hearing that if a kid tries out for a team, and doesn't make it, they are allowed to play for the next closest team. I know a couple kids tried out for Bismarck's A team ended not making and got to play for Washburn. Not sure if that enrollment counts than or not.

Another example is Cando, they picked up Rugby last year. Between those two schools they probably could be placed in A. Still don't understand how Rugby can't have a team on their own. A school that size should be able to get 9 kids on a baseball diamond in the summer.
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Re: 2017 Legion Baseball

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 am

Also the Legion ND Department Committee established a 5 year rotation for state tournaments:
Class B
2017- Central Region (Kidder County: Steele)
2018- Northeast Region
2019- West Region
2020- Southeast Region
2021- Central Region


Class A
2017- Northeast Region (Grand Forks)
2018- Northwest Region
2019- Southwest Region
2020- Southeast Region
2021- Northeast Region
User avatar
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am

Next

Return to Class B

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron