G5: C-2 Gardner def. W-2 Kidder County 3-2
G7: SE-1 Kindred def. NE-1 Thompson 9-8
G8: C-1 Carrington def. W-1 Hazen 19-14
G6: NE-2 Park River def. SE-2 LaMoure 7-6
G11: C-1 Carrington def. SE-1 Kindred 10-4

Saturday, July 30th
G9: NE-2 Park River def. NE-1 Thompson 2-1
G10: W-1 Hazen def. C-2 Gardner 11-0
G12: SE-1 Kindred def. NE-2 Park River 5-4 (9)
G13: W-1 Hazen def. C-1 Carrington 7-3

Sunday, July 31st
G14: W-1 Hazen def. SE-1 Kindred 4-3
G15: C-1 Carrington def. W-1 Hazen 5-1
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Class B Legion State Tournament

Postby madseason » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Kindred, Thompson, Lamoure, park river. First day predictions.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:02 am

A very interesting wrinkle not many people have seen is Hazen has picked up Miller and Monroe from a very good 2015 Steele team (Super Seniors) who's parents moved to Hazen for work after their last HS season. Haven't seen them play but I am pretty sure Monroe hit 20+ HR's his senior season, and Miller was one heck of a pitcher.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:48 am

No doubt Hazen is going to be tough. Carrington should be tough as well, as a majority of the team that went deep in the Central Plains Regional in LeSuer, MN last summer is back. Like Hazen, Carrington has a couple Super Seniors as well in Paeper and Smith. (Miller from Hazen and Smith played together at Valley City State last year, both saw quite a few starts and playing time for VCSU) Can't overlook Kindred and Thompson either. If Park River has any Super Seniors, they will be tough as well. Lamoure seems to have gotten hot as of late and beat a solid Enderlin team to get to State. Should be a great tournament. Can Carrington "three peat"? IMO, of the last three State B Legion tournaments, this one is the most competitive on paper.

My first rounders: I'll take all the #1's...Kindred, Thompson, Hazen and Carrington.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 am

I don't know much about Hazen and they could be one teams that compete for state title. From what I know of the teams my guess it will between Thompson and Carrington for championship. I would favor
Carrington they are playing at home and have a team that has played in state and has been very successful.
Thompson won at high school level but haven't added players like some of the legion teams and they lost one of their high school players because he's playing football. But this Thompson team plays very well together and very well coached so they will still be tough team to beat. I think Park River could have made a run at this tournament but I just think drawing Carrington first is just poor luck even with that they could go long way in the Tournament. Also its baseball where any team can beat another if they get excellent pitching and few balls drop in for you. It still one better sports in that teams can upset each other on given night even when the loosing team can be much better team because pitching by individual can dominate a single game and other team with just some offense can win. Its not like basketball and football where more talented teams usually win because one player can offset so much of the opposing team.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:11 am

I guess the games are on tv if you get kdrk? 5 on dish I think.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 am

Due to lots of rain games are postponed today, not sure until when but it brings up the question as to why is Carrington hosting a state tournament when they don't have lights? They can't just push times back because they will run out of daylight.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:18 am

sportsphenom wrote:Due to lots of rain games are postponed today, not sure until when but it brings up the question as to why is Carrington hosting a state tournament when they don't have lights? They can't just push times back because they will run out of daylight.

Because having lights isn't a prerequisite for having a State Tournament. Should it be? Maybe, but it is not. I will say this: Carrington will run one of the best "B" tournaments of anyone (just ask any of the Babe Ruth teams that played here a couple years ago) and their field is one of the best rural fields in the State.

Here's a question: Would you rather have a State tournament on a fantastic field without lights or a marginal facility with lights? There are PLENTY of marginal facilities with lights in the State, but I will promise you there are not many "B" fields in as nice a shape as Carrington's.

For this situation, lights would be nice though...The plan is to play games one and two today starting tentatively at 3 pm.

I would like to give a shout out to the local grounds crew for potentially having the field ready to go today. Carrington got over 2 inches of rain in a half hour last night and the whole facility was under water. To have it ready to go by 3 today is nothing short of a miracle.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:31 am

Not saying they won't run a great tournament, but I would think lights would have to be a prerequisite. I witnessed some games last week in sectional tournament play that went until after 11:00 p.m. because of extra innings etc. No doubt that they have put a lot of work into it and anyone hosting state tournaments always has mother nature to deal with. Hoping the games continue with no other bad weather.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 am

sportsphenom wrote:Not saying they won't run a great tournament, but I would think lights would have to be a prerequisite. I witnessed some games last week in sectional tournament play that went until after 11:00 p.m. because of extra innings etc. No doubt that they have put a lot of work into it and anyone hosting state tournaments always has mother nature to deal with. Hoping the games continue with no other bad weather.

and there's no disputing a facility as nice as Carrington's should have lights... :wink:

The forecast though the weekend looks decent with a chance of showers. The outfield can't take much more water. There are still dozens of volunteers out in the outfield squeeging (sp?) water off the field as we speak. They started at 6 am. The facility truly does look fantastic. Go to the Carrington Baseball Club on Face Book to get a look at the field.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm

so only the towns that have lights can have the state tournament???
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:40 pm

No games today. Play will start tomorrow with today's schedule. The infield is fantastic, the outfield is holding water but crews have been feverishly at it since 6 am and will continue. Barring more rain, everything should be good to go tomorrow.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Good Job! Best of luck the rest of the way.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:so only the towns that have lights can have the state tournament???

It would be nice, because we all know sports (extra innings) and mother nature are both unpredictable. But Carrington is a very nice community and I know they will put on a great tournament. Good luck to all teams.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 pm

I think Drain Tile would be a better prerequisite than lights. :lol:
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Or a dome ;)
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 am

I think in the past it was preferred that hosting town had lights for the state tournament. Carrington has very nice field and I have wondered why they have never put lights onto the field. It would be long term improvement for that field. I have seen around area different towns have been making improvements to their fields. Also talking about drain tile I think Langdon is seriously looking to install drain tile if they can up with money to do it especially after this year when they had to give up hosting the regional because of to much rain fall. This year has been terrible for rain outs and fields being to wet in the past July was hot dry month but that doesn't seem to be norm any more. I am sure people of Carrington have put in time to
get the field back to playing condition that's what special about small class b teams in baseball its community effort.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:55 am

Baseball is "on" in Carrington. Kindred wins first game over Kidder Country. Enough cannot be said about the DOZENS of volunteers that showed up yesterday at 6 am and worked through the evening to get the field ready. The outfield is far from perfect but playable, but the infield is immaculate. The man hours has been amazing.

Carrington has been looking at re-doing the outfield for a couple years and maybe this will put the project "over the edge". Lights would be nice as well and have been talked about for 20 years or better. Carrington has a very active Baseball Club and hopefully a couple of these major projects will be in the near future. A "Dome" might be taking it too far. :shock:

Kindred 4
Kidder County 2

Game two coming up at 12:30...
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Question??? How often would you really use the lights or need the lights during a season.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Game 2 is "in the books"

Thompson 3
Gardner 2
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Game 3:

Hazen 1
Lamoure 0

Brady Workin for Lamoure throws a one hitter (triple, followed by sac fly in 7th) and gets the loss. Bruner for Hazen throws a 3 hit shut out.

Three really good games today so far.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 pm

Final Game of the night:

Carrington 4
Park River 1

I believe the Carrington pitcher, Hewitt threw a two hitter.

Good day of baseball. Gonna be some competitive games tomorrow. All 4 Region #1's advance.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:03 am

First loser out game today was a gem.

Gardner 3
Kidder County 2

Brandon Neva from Gardner hit a 2 run home run in the top of the 7th and struck out 14 Kidder County batters.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Barfly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:25 pm

Carrington 19
Hazen 14

Apparently Carrington's kicker missed 2 extra points.
Barfly
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Foul poles would be nice in Carrington. I watched a home run be called a foul on PR. Wind was carrying the ball so it looked foul where it landed. It was very close. If there was a pole I think it would have hit it and went one way or the other. Great games and a hats off to the hosts. I don't know how they got the field looking as good as it did. But I think they used shop vacs and buckets.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Class B