New proposal for ND baseball

New proposal for ND baseball

Postby NDwriter » Sun May 08, 2016 7:56 pm

I think we can all agree that Legion baseball not only in ND but in many other states is dying. Kids are moving to travel teams and showcases. ND with its rise in actual talent level should not fall behind on this trend that is building in High School baseball in America. I propose the elimination of Legion Baseball. By eliminating the Legion season you can then extend the High School season into July. This will add more games to the schedule and offer more in return to the kids as far as recruiting and game experience as well as more to the school in revenue. Make the School ball season 60 games over April, May, June, and July. More games over a spread out season which will result in less arm injuries and other over use injuries. Games on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Also would provide more tournament options mid-season and travel opportunities earlier in the season so schools can take there teams to Minnesota, SD, MT, ect to play those schools and offer more play time before Region and Conference play begins making it more competitive come tournament time. Let me know your thoughts.
NDwriter
NDPreps Reserve

Re: New proposal for ND baseball

Postby Sportsrube » Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 pm

I question the revenue aspect, I am not aware of a single HS team or sport in ND that brings in enough revenue to break even. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of all HS sports lose money. (I would be shocked if any HS sports program actually made money.) Do you really think HS Coaches want to coach a 60 game season? (Serious question, I honestly don't know if they would or wouldn't.) If they did, they would definitely want a serious pay raise. I think one of the reasons Legion baseball is dying is because a lot of kids are working all summer or they are focusing on basketball (traveling teams, AAU, etc..) and they do not want to take time off to play baseball. Maybe if more colleges gave scholarships for baseball the kids would see more of a future in baseball. Just my 2 cents.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDwriter » Sun May 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I question the revenue aspect, I am not aware of a single HS team or sport in ND that brings in enough revenue to break even. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of all HS sports lose money. (I would be shocked if any HS sports program actually made money.) Do you really think HS Coaches want to coach a 60 game season? (Serious question, I honestly don't know if they would or wouldn't.) If they did, they would definitely want a serious pay raise. I think one of the reasons Legion baseball is dying is because a lot of kids are working all summer or they are focusing on basketball (traveling teams, AAU, etc..) and they do not want to take time off to play baseball. Maybe if more colleges gave scholarships for baseball the kids would see more of a future in baseball. Just my 2 cents.

Every college D2 and up give scholorships in NAIA, NCAA, NJCAA so scholarships arent an issue. extending the season to 60 games would bring more revenue because of more home games. And the coaches im sure would coach a 60 game schedule if given more money for doing it. Now it doesnt have to be 60 games but the main point of my original statement remains. Extend the High School season and eliminate the Legion season.
NDwriter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby madseason » Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 pm

NDwriter wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I question the revenue aspect, I am not aware of a single HS team or sport in ND that brings in enough revenue to break even. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of all HS sports lose money. (I would be shocked if any HS sports program actually made money.) Do you really think HS Coaches want to coach a 60 game season? (Serious question, I honestly don't know if they would or wouldn't.) If they did, they would definitely want a serious pay raise. I think one of the reasons Legion baseball is dying is because a lot of kids are working all summer or they are focusing on basketball (traveling teams, AAU, etc..) and they do not want to take time off to play baseball. Maybe if more colleges gave scholarships for baseball the kids would see more of a future in baseball. Just my 2 cents.

Every college D2 and up give scholorships in NAIA, NCAA, NJCAA so scholarships arent an issue. extending the season to 60 games would bring more revenue because of more home games. And the coaches im sure would coach a 60 game schedule if given more money for doing it. Now it doesnt have to be 60 games but the main point of my original statement remains. Extend the High School season and eliminate the Legion season.
Not sure about other regions, but not one team in ours charges to see HS baseball. No revenue, except concession sales that I think go into the entire baseball program. The only time I've been charged to see baseball is at tournament time.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDwriter » Sun May 08, 2016 10:08 pm

madseason wrote:
NDwriter wrote:

Not sure about other regions, but not one team in ours charges to see HS baseball. No revenue, except concession sales that I think go into the entire baseball program. The only time I've been charged to see baseball is at tournament time.

Okay so in those home games over 30 of them they would make more revenue right? But looking past that one point you are so fixed on eliminating Legion would be more beneficial than keeping it.
NDwriter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon May 09, 2016 2:10 am

NDwriter wrote:Okay so in those home games over 30 of them they would make more revenue right?

Revenue increases, but so do your expenses. So if you lost money every game you hosted you would lose more money expanding the season.

But looking past that one point you are so fixed on eliminating Legion would be more beneficial than keeping it.

How do you go about eliminating Legion?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 am

Theory looks good on paper, but when you really look at it, you will run into the same problems. If you extend the HS season to July and eliminate legion, lots of those kids that don't play legion will end up not playing the sport during the HS season. Same conflicts exist - basketball camps, work schedules, etc. Those aren't going to move to accommodate a HS season being lengthened. In my experience, it seems like there is just less interest in it. I played summer baseball from when t-ball started until the last year I could play legion (after my freshman year of college). I worked 40+ hours a week while doing so. If I could, I would still be playing. I had a legion team right in my hometown though. I've been around a lot of kids that play high school baseball that don't play legion and they don't work or go to basketball camps all summer. They just want to do something else in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it were different. I love legion baseball. I just don't see a solution unless kids somehow just want to play baseball.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon May 09, 2016 5:01 pm

Its not just kids work schedules it also parents and kids time spent at the lake. So many of kids today don't want to play on weekends and also parents don't want them playing because they want to spend time at the lake to do water sports. That's why more kids play high school baseball. Then add in work conflicts, other sports baseball has been the sport effected by all this. Also in North Dakota poor spring weather conditions hurts high school baseball and it suffers. I have said for long time that high school football should be played in the spring would make more since in North Dakota you can play football colder conditions than baseball and generally fields are in better shape and by end of spring football would be playing in good conditions opposite what we have now. The same would be for baseball fall weather would be warmer for baseball and if you ended season early enough game conditions would be way better than we have had last 10 years. Also it would give a break for the kids between baseball and basketball and same would be for football in spring. Also kids injured in football would have summer to recover for the other sports.
Getting back to baseball legion needs to expand years of eligibility like a lot of other leagues do in the US they should let kids play up to 20 years of age and also they should increase the age of baberuth to 16 years this would allow for younger kids to play against there age groups. In North Dakota there is very little independent baseball left so this would allow younger kids trying to play college place to play and would add numbers to legion programs in the smaller towns. The extending of high school baseball program I don't think would ever fly just to many complications cost of programs, what about seniors that would be moving on to college with extended season, and I can think of many more similar problems with extended program in the summer like what do with kids that come for the summer or leave for the summer and still want to play but in different school system.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 pm

It will NEVER happen, but switching FB and baseball seasons seems like a good idea.

BR was/is up to 18 years old. I played Legion class B and we played the Bismarck 18 year old BR team a few times.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Class B