Legion Baseball 2015 Regions

Re: Legion Baseball 2015 Regions

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:10 pm

Indy5 wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
heimer wrote:The only change necessary is to incorporate the 16-year-old teams from the big cities (GF Blues, Fargo Bombers, etc) into the A level.

Three levels: AA, A and B.

Perfect system.

If people from Grafton, Casselton, and Beulah want to b!tch because they don't get to destroy Great Bend, Cando, and Highway Whatever-The-Heck in the west, too bad. Grafton beat Wahpeton for the east title. Meanwhile, Oakes, Hatton, etc on to B state.

This is the right system. Go cry to your mommas about how you really really really really wanted to go to a B state instead of an A state. Explain to us how bad it is to beat Wahpeton instead of Larimore.

I completely agree that the junior legion teams from the AA towns should play in A instead of having their own league. I have always thought it was dumb when they removed them from class B legion and created the junior legion league. It was cool for those kids to play someone different then the same age group in the same towns they've played against since they were 10. They also didn't have outrageous success either. Even back when Minot was probably the biggest power in the state, they still only won (I believe) 2 section titles in 15 years.

I like the three classes but do not agree about the 16 year olds playing A. I also think that the Bismarck team that is in B should not be there. Just too many kids to pick from. You take the best 16 and 15 year olds from a large town will be better than most teams. Most class B teams and some class A team have to have Babe Ruth kids start on the Legion.

From what I know about the history of the practice, the junior legion teams compare very nicely with class B legion teams. Yes, those teams start young guys, but the fact of 19 year olds playing against 16 year olds evens the odds. Every year at Minot's tournament the Metros play a few class B (or A or whatever they are) teams and they usually win some and lose some. I think they'd fit into the class A level pretty well.

I don't know the story behind that Bismarck team. My guess would have be they only draw Shiloh kids and that's how they get away with it. If that's the case, I don't really mind them being there.

No, the kids are not all from Shiloh. But they use Shiloh's Name on the roster.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:47 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:

Well, then I have no idea how they justified it. They should at the very least play A. I will say it's not like they've completely dominated. I see they were the 3 seed in their region. However, if they're drawing kids from outside Shiloh, they should play AA. The thing is, I'd be willing to bet that would also mark the end of the program.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Indy5 wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:

Well, then I have no idea how they justified it. They should at the very least play A. I will say it's not like they've completely dominated. I see they were the 3 seed in their region. However, if they're drawing kids from outside Shiloh, they should play AA. The thing is, I'd be willing to bet that would also mark the end of the program.

I understand the spot they are in but maybe Bismarck should start another program like Fargo did. If all the players where from Shiloh, I could go with that.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDPREP » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:29 am

I think Legion should go back to the 2 class system, it seems to work for the high school rank just fine. It's more competitive the regions aren't all that far apart for travel and the actual state tournament is more exciting.

I get the feeling A was setup so Wahpeton could move down without them being B. You look at the other "large" B schools and they don't dominate (well except Grafton but that is a good program in a bad region of baseball)
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:48 pm

NDPREP wrote:I think Legion should go back to the 2 class system, it seems to work for the high school rank just fine. It's more competitive the regions aren't all that far apart for travel and the actual state tournament is more exciting.

I get the feeling A was setup so Wahpeton could move down without them being B. You look at the other "large" B schools and they don't dominate (well except Grafton but that is a good program in a bad region of baseball)

You better take that comment back about Grafton. The table will be turning this year for Grafton. Don't be surprised if you start seeing Park River excelling.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:23 pm

ndprep that was poor statement and one not very informed about the region. The NE region is made up of several good programs and has played well against other region over the years. Thompson, Nelson County, and Langdon all have had good teams over the years but were unable to overcome Grafton with deep depth of players. Grafton has had numbers that all these other programs didn't have they primarily played with 17 and 18 year olds for there teams with these other having to supplement with 16 or 15 year olds. Also when they got kids out St. Thomas it gave them that extra push of talent at pitcher. There is big difference from large town to smaller town that was reason for separating into extra class. I think it already helped in keeping some programs going and I believe there have been some new ones starting again so this extra class has helped. It just made harder for larger towns because they are competing against teams of same talent level all year long.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hook » Tue May 03, 2016 9:47 pm

I heard on the radio that Grafton moving down to class b is pretty much a done deal. I believe they don't have the talent moving up the pipe like they use to but with the amount of super seniors coming back (4?) why would they want to move back to B? Why with an enrollment double everyone else in the region would they be allowed to? The decision doesn't bother me either way but it seems the legion baseball decision makers have no real grasp on the situation.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Wed May 04, 2016 6:59 am

No idea but the way it looks Bismarck, Dickinson, and Minot will be fielding teams in the A division.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 am

I sure hope they don't go now let Grafton sink back to class b. If they do this I can see longterm effects of this already these smaller towns are struggling to keep teams and this will lead to death small town legion teams. I already have seen this happen in past when Grafton has numbers it has and dominates a region. I don't understand this and sure Grafton has struggled at A but its because they are matched with other towns with similar numbers. If they are adding teams let A grow and keep B as it has been after the restructure.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I sure hope they don't go now let Grafton sink back to class b. If they do this I can see longterm effects of this already these smaller towns are struggling to keep teams and this will lead to death small town legion teams. I already have seen this happen in past when Grafton has numbers it has and dominates a region. I don't understand this and sure Grafton has struggled at A but its because they are matched with other towns with similar numbers. If they are adding teams let A grow and keep B as it has been after the restructure.
Grafton has not struggled in A. They just haven't dominated!. If they want to be B so bad maybe they shouldn't take the best players from St Thomas Drayton Minto Etc... They have more than enough players in Grafton. If I was from Grafton and I had a kid that didn't get to play because of the star players from these other towns I would be angry!
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Wed May 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Why would Grafton be allowed to pick what class they want to be in? That doesn't make sense.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hook » Fri May 06, 2016 1:53 pm

I got this off the legion baseball web site http://high-schools.com/directory/nd/

So if this is what the legion is using as its resource I can see why Grafton was put into A based on having kids from grafton, minto, and st. thomas.

grafton/minto/st. thomas. - 391
whapeton - 413
valley city - 373

and I can see why the region doesn't care to have them back.
park river fordville, hoople - 213
langdon, munich- 224
thompson - 200

not sure where they get their numbers but it gives the situation a little perspective.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby alphadawg » Sat May 07, 2016 2:20 pm

If you disagree with Grafton moving down to Class B then these are the people to contact. They are meeting in Carrington on Saturday the 14th and the final decision will be made then. Let them know your thoughts.

Class B Teams

Athletic Officer in Charge of Region, Address & Phone No.:

Northeast Region - Rodney Kadlec, H 284-6981
5965 134th Ave NE, Pisek, ND 58273

Central Region - Harley Getzlaff, H 228-3328
220 Alexander St., Bottineau, ND 58318

Southeast Region - Raymond Thielges, H 883-5734
6906 102nd Ave. SE, LaMoure, ND 58458

West Region - Harry Braddock, H 628-4474
PO Box 742, Stanley, ND 58784

Class A Teams

Athletic Officer in Charge of Division, Address & Phone No.: