New Fargo Legion Team Name?

New Fargo Legion Team Name?

Postby armada113 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 am

IF there does end up being a new Fargo Legion team, what will the name be? and who for sure will the coaching staff be? and where would they play?
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Re: New Fargo Legion Team Name?

Postby gunslinger13 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:37 pm

i heard they might play at bennet
LOVE ME SEXY:P
gunslinger13
NDPreps Starter

Postby 7andpoo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Ok, if this new legion team is scheduled to play at bennet, very most likely not get as good of competition, why would you want to play for them? Fargo post 2 is unique in so many ways, look at jack williams, most college fields don't even come close to resembling that. When I tell my teammates we had a coach bus that was just for the baseball team the look on their face was priceless. I am proud to say that I played post 2 baseball, regardless of our state finish. Given our state and location, post gives kids the chance to play as good of baseball as they will find around here. We take on some top minnesota teams and win, we play some teams from omaha and win.

I am happy these kids are making a new legion team because frankly they don't deserve to play post 2 because they are ungrateful. They may have been some things I didn't agree with but you will find that with EVERY SPORTS PROGRAM EVER. Just enjoy yourself because you get advantages 99 percent of kids at this age don't, especially where we are from. I will restate one last point. Fargo Post 2 has their own FREAKING COACH BUS. I am more embarrased to have went south where these people crying for a new team are from, no wonder people hated us. I have alot more to say but this will do for now, im in class.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Harmon61 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Are there any parents trying organize a protest against these two parents?

Why should two people decide all our fates?
Harmon61
NDPreps Rookie

Postby greatbambino » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Harmon61 wrote:Are there any parents trying organize a protest against these two parents?

Why should two people decide all our fates?

if youve already played in the post 2 program, your fate is up to you. you are already a part of that program and would need to get a release from post 2 to play for south team. as for newcomers, living on the south side would put you in that program and likewise for the north side. you would be able to get a release from one program to the other because fargo does not fall into a "Player Recruiting Plan A" situation (meaning Fargo doesnt have enough kids for them to restrict you to a specific team. for an example of a Plan A city, see omaha. in their situation, release/transfers get real hairy and have to be signed off by many people.).

gunslinger13 wrote:i heard they might play at bennet

rent bennett from the fargo parks, have to rent transportation for away games, pay for new uniforms/equipment. its going to be a very spendy endeavor for the parents/players of this new team. far more expensive than it would be to play post 2.

also, it sounds like the turnout for the informational meeting put on by post 2 regarding all of this opened a lot of peoples eyes. its alright for you folks in favor of the new team, theres always AAU ball.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bagboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 am

You might want to check the rules, bambino. I believe it says that when a new team is formed, players have the option of playing on the team they were previously affiliated with or joining the new team. The only releases that are needed are for players who are new to both programs and want to play opposite where they live. In short, it's up to the Post 2 players where they play, no one else.
More kids playing Legion baseball in the summer. How is that a bad thing???
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby greatbambino » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:42 am

Bagboy wrote:You might want to check the rules, bambino. I believe it says that when a new team is formed, players have the option of playing on the team they were previously affiliated with or joining the new team. The only releases that are needed are for players who are new to both programs and want to play opposite where they live. In short, it's up to the Post 2 players where they play, no one else.
More kids playing Legion baseball in the summer. How is that a bad thing???

thank you for repeating everything i said.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bagboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:26 am

The part about needing a release from Post 2 is the part I'm talking about. Your message is mixed in that you say they need a release, which they don't. Their fate is truly "up to them." No release is needed. Clearly you are trying to make it sound as if they are "property" of Post 2, which isn't correct. These are kids, not professional players. Try to remember that.

Again, more kids playing Legion baseball - How is that bad?
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gunslinger13 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

i dont believe he is saying its a bad thing.

i think that with the numbers that the legion has now there arent enough players to fill two full legion teams and still compete. not to mention you still have to fill rosters for filler teams like the bombers.
LOVE ME SEXY:P
gunslinger13
NDPreps Starter

Postby greatbambino » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:46 pm

gunslinger13 wrote:i dont believe he is saying its a bad thing.

i think that with the numbers that the legion has now there arent enough players to fill two full legion teams and still compete. not to mention you still have to fill rosters for filler teams like the bombers.

the new team more than likely wont have a jv team like the bombers/jets. wont have the numbers for it or the money to afford it (wont have enough money to afford the one team, no matter how much one person forks over. a side note: what happens to the financing when that one dad isnt around in 2 years? whos going to pay the big bucks for this new team? coach bryant on his teachers salary? but i digress). so by splitting the city in half, you force kids that should be playing jv level legion baseball into playing varsity level baseball. and before the argument of "well they play varsity during high school ball" comes up, legion baseball is an entirely different animal than high school baseball.

Bagboy wrote:The part about needing a release from Post 2 is the part I'm talking about. Your message is mixed in that you say they need a release, which they don't. Their fate is truly "up to them." No release is needed. Clearly you are trying to make it sound as if they are "property" of Post 2, which isn't correct. These are kids, not professional players. Try to remember that.

you are correct about the rule. i misread the portion of the rules related to the board chairman granting permission to the player to play on the new team. care to show where i referred to the players as "property"? in other transfer situations, players are required to receive permission from their previous team (a transfer form #76) to play for a different team. they are not "property" but they are bound to that team until they are granted permission to transfer or they have an address change that would require them to play on a new team.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bagboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:34 pm

greatbambino wrote:
gunslinger13 wrote:i dont believe he is saying its a bad thing.

the new team more than likely wont have a jv team like the bombers/jets. wont have the numbers for it or the money to afford it (wont have enough money to afford the one team, no matter how much one person forks over. a side note: what happens to the financing when that one dad isnt around in 2 years? whos going to pay the big bucks for this new team? coach bryant on his teachers salary? but i digress). so by splitting the city in half, you force kids that should be playing jv level legion baseball into playing varsity level baseball. and before the argument of "well they play varsity during high school ball" comes up, legion baseball is an entirely different animal than high school baseball.

Bagboy wrote:The part about needing a release from Post 2 is the part I'm talking about. Your message is mixed in that you say they need a release, which they don't. Their fate is truly "up to them." No release is needed. Clearly you are trying to make it sound as if they are "property" of Post 2, which isn't correct. These are kids, not professional players. Try to remember that.

you are correct about the rule. i misread the portion of the rules related to the board chairman granting permission to the player to play on the new team. care to show where i referred to the players as "property"? in other transfer situations, players are required to receive permission from their previous team (a transfer form #76) to play for a different team. they are not "property" but they are bound to that team until they are granted permission to transfer or they have an address change that would require them to play on a new team.

My guess is that this team will have to find creative ways to finance itself, just as most Legion teams currently do. Fundraising is a fact of life for Legion baseball in 2010. I'm guessing there is probably as much support and manpower working to raise money for the new team as there is for any other team around. As far as the JV-Varsity issue, who's to say that they won't have enough ballplayers to fill two teams. Fargo is on the brink of having four varsity high school programs in one town. If you divide that up, it stands to reason that there will be plenty of kids to go around. 36 starting spots (9 on each team) will be somehow divided up amongst two varsity and two junior Legion teams. That doesn't even take into account the JV high school teams - easily another 75-80 kids. They won't all go out for Legion baseball in the summer, but it's a sure bet that more will than do now. To say that there aren't enough quality ballplayers in Fargo is just an excuse to hang on to something that isn't a reality anymore. It's time for a second Legion team and I don't see any other alternative. At the end of the day, it's what is best for kids (and baseball).
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby greatbambino » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Bagboy wrote:My guess is that this team will have to find creative ways to finance itself, just as most Legion teams currently do. Fundraising is a fact of life for Legion baseball in 2010. I'm guessing there is probably as much support and manpower working to raise money for the new team as there is for any other team around.

fundraising is a challenge for every team in the current economic situation. the issue with this new team is that its being done on very short notice with little backing. most of the financial responsibility for this team is going to come out of the parents pockets. and this isnt a cheap thing to do. this should be a project that has a year or two of planning before it gets going. start it as a jv level team (with 15-17 year olds) and get into a class B section. play in that situation for a year or two while financial backing and interest can develop to support the travel and necessities of a class A team. if the interest for it grows, the numbers continue to grow, and as more financial support accumulates, continue on and have a jv and varsity squad.

As far as the JV-Varsity issue, who's to say that they won't have enough ballplayers to fill two teams. Fargo is on the brink of having four varsity high school programs in one town. If you divide that up, it stands to reason that there will be plenty of kids to go around. 36 starting spots (9 on each team) will be somehow divided up amongst two varsity and two junior Legion teams. That doesn't even take into account the JV high school teams - easily another 75-80 kids. They won't all go out for Legion baseball in the summer, but it's a sure bet that more will than do now.

like was said in another thread, this isnt the 60s/70s where 100+ kids were going out for post 2/bombers. there were only 50 kids between the 3 teams. they had to find a handful of 15 year olds to play for one of the teams. baseball in fargo is dying. people should be trying to steal the better athletes from the other sports to play baseball(much like what the football/basketball/hockey coaches do now), not making more opportunities for mediocre athletes to play baseball. adding a second varsity team right now will only water down baseball in fargo as well as the state. there is no NEED for this new team, just a lot of WANTS.

To say that there aren't enough quality ballplayers in Fargo is just an excuse to hang on to something that isn't a reality anymore. It's time for a second Legion team and I don't see any other alternative. At the end of the day, it's what is best for kids (and baseball).

eventually it may be a good thing for baseball in the area. right now, it isnt. and the way its being done is terrible for baseball in the city as well as the state. if this were a more thought out, well planned idea, more people would be backing it. but its not. its a small handful of parents, as well as a coach, who are trying to get back at people they feel have done them and their sons wrong.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bagboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think your way of thinking is what is killing baseball in Fargo. The weeding out of mediocre players at an earlier and earlier age has caused really good athletes to give up on baseball and concentrate on football, basketball, hockey, etc. The best ballplayers, are, I believe, often playing another sport in the spring and summer. The more kids we get involved in baseball and the longer they are willing to stay with it, the better the chance that no one gets missed and teams at the highest level will be stronger, not weaker. I don't think there was ever a time when Fargo had 100 kids out for Legion baseball, but if that was ever the case, then there probably should have been two teams at that time.
I don't doubt that the push for the new team is parent-driven (what isn't), but realistically, parents are in charge of all non-school sports (and some school ones), so that's not automatically a negative. I'm guessing there are plenty of parents in positions of control at Post 2 and other Legion teams around ND - am I right? How do their desires differ from those of the group starting the new team.
This isn't new ground. It happens in bigger cities and some that are the size of Fargo. Check around...Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Green Bay, St. Cloud, Rochester, etc. If they can do it, why not Fargo. I would guess that every place had some resistance at first, but all are currently thriving. More kids playing in quality programs at a high level.
I'm just convinced that this new team will be a good thing for everyone. Change is hard, but often necessary in order to move forward in a positive direction.
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 7andpoo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Bagboy wrote:I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think your way of thinking is what is killing baseball in Fargo. The weeding out of mediocre players at an earlier and earlier age has caused really good athletes to give up on baseball and concentrate on football, basketball, hockey, etc. The best ballplayers, are, I believe, often playing another sport in the spring and summer. The more kids we get involved in baseball and the longer they are willing to stay with it, the better the chance that no one gets missed and teams at the highest level will be stronger, not weaker. I don't think there was ever a time when Fargo had 100 kids out for Legion baseball, but if that was ever the case, then there probably should have been two teams at that time.
I don't doubt that the push for the new team is parent-driven (what isn't), but realistically, parents are in charge of all non-school sports (and some school ones), so that's not automatically a negative. I'm guessing there are plenty of parents in positions of control at Post 2 and other Legion teams around ND - am I right? How do their desires differ from those of the group starting the new team.
This isn't new ground. It happens in bigger cities and some that are the size of Fargo. Check around...Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Green Bay, St. Cloud, Rochester, etc. If they can do it, why not Fargo. I would guess that every place had some resistance at first, but all are currently thriving. More kids playing in quality programs at a high level.
I'm just convinced that this new team will be a good thing for everyone. Change is hard, but often necessary in order to move forward in a positive direction.

No. Just no. Being recently in the program and going through it "as a kid" (because that is who this is for), it is absolutely wrong to have another legion team. If you ask me to give you a reason, I will say that as a kid, there is nothing wrong with the program. You get to play a crapload of games, travel very well, play in front of a couple hundred people a night, wonderful facility, and for free nonetheless. Stupid dumb awful
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ugalee7 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm

armada113 wrote:IF there does end up being a new Fargo Legion team, what will the name be?

The South Side Babies with a team mission statement of "I don't like the others schools coach so my dad bought me a team but let's try to play it off as it will get more kids playing the game"

and who for sure will the coaching staff be?

Whoever Dad can find that will pencil Jr into the lineup at shortstop, on the mound and in the 3rd spot in the batting line up. Heck Jr's soooooooo gooooood he can do all three at once. Just ask mom.

and where would they play?

At a field where they will end up bumping the little league kids from their usual schedule. Which means you won't have more kids playing ball just kids of a different age playing ball
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby armada113 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:21 pm

hmmmmm. Jr. sure sounds like somebody who was in the program last year...
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Willy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 am

Not being from Fargo, I hope I can look at this objectively. In one corner you have people that think Fargo should have just one team so it can be more competitive, and in the other corner you have some people that think a city the size of Fargo should have more than one team.

For those that complain Fargo shouldn't split into two teams because they cant win a state title the way it is, I say: Maybe you need to get better! If cities the size of Dickinson can win state titles, where is the basis for your arguement? Size doesn't matter! It takes good coaching, good kids that have some talent, but more importantly a competitive spirit and a true love of the game. You can have 200 kids trying out and if you can't match good coaches and 15 kids with some heart, you will continue to fail.

Fargo you should be ashamed. :oops: You should of had a second team a decade ago. The call for another team is coming from people with some common sense, not whining parents who are only concerned about their own kids playing time. Buck up Fargo! Maybe a little intercity competition would do you all some good.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby armada113 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Willy wrote:Not being from Fargo, I hope I can look at this objectively. In one corner you have people that think Fargo should have just one team so it can be more competitive, and in the other corner you have some people that think a city the size of Fargo should have more than one team.

For those that complain Fargo shouldn't split into two teams because they cant win a state title the way it is, I say: Maybe you need to get better! If cities the size of Dickinson can win state titles, where is the basis for your arguement? Size doesn't matter! It takes good coaching, good kids that have some talent, but more importantly a competitive spirit and a true love of the game. You can have 200 kids trying out and if you can't match good coaches and 15 kids with some heart, you will continue to fail.

Fargo you should be ashamed. :oops: You should of had a second team a decade ago. The call for another team is coming from people with some common sense, not whining parents who are only concerned about their own kids playing time. Buck up Fargo! Maybe a little intercity competition would do you all some good.

No it does NOT take good talent and coaching to be a good team. One of the main reasons towns like Dickinson and Williston are so good is because those guys have been playing baseball with each other since they were t-ballers. Their chemistry is seamless and they know how each other works and plays. Its different trying to put together a team from 3 different high schools than have the exact same team from the high school season and the school ball season before that and the year before that. These kids play with each other for two weeks max before their first game.

Bismarck is not a whole lot smaller than Fargo and they only have one legion team that rarely wins state titles and they are NEVER under the spotlight.
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Willy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Armada your first statement is ridiculous, you say it does NOT take good coaches and good talent to win. What? Secondly baseball is one of the few sports where you can put good talent at each position, and at each at bat and be successful on day one, unlike most other sports. Let's look at the Bismarck statement. Fargo hasn't been size that Bismarck is now since 1980. The 2008 population of Fargo was 95,500 while Bismarck's was 60,300. Not even close.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby armada113 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 am

Willy wrote:Armada your first statement is ridiculous, you say it does NOT take good coaches and good talent to win. What? Secondly baseball is one of the few sports where you can put good talent at each position, and at each at bat and be successful on day one, unlike most other sports. Let's look at the Bismarck statement. Fargo hasn't been size that Bismarck is now since 1980. The 2008 population of Fargo was 95,500 while Bismarck's was 60,300. Not even close.

Versus Williston's 12,000 and Dicki's 16,000? And Fargo is proof that you cant just take great talent and throw a team together in two weeks.
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Willy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Armada, I am a lttle confused. I thought you were for keeping just one Fargo Legion team, but now you are saying you can't field a good team by bringing players from different high schools together. If that's the case (which I believe is hogwash) you should support Fargo having more than one team, aligned geographically with school boundries. What is your stance?

Baseball is mostly an individual sport. Outside of pitchers and catchers learning to work together, and a ss and second baseman timing a double play, what else is so tough? Like I said in my first post, you need to find kids with some talent (that's the easy part in a town the size of Fargo), but more importantly kids with some heart and true love of the game.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bagboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I also believe that the time has come for a second Legion team. There are plenty of good players in Fargo to fill a second team. Unfortunately, this was voted down by the powers that be at the state level over this past weekend. I'm not sure why, since there aren't exactly a lot of teams out there and we have been hearing about the need for a second team in Fargo for a long time. I guess that it's another case of politics getting in the way of what's best for kids. Shouldn't be too surprised - it happens every day in every walk of life. I'm not sure how the move for a second team got started or if it was being pursued for the right reasons. What I AM sure of is that,no matter what brought the movement about, having a second team in Fargo is the best thing for kids - no question.
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby greatbambino » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Bagboy wrote:I also believe that the time has come for a second Legion team. There are plenty of good players in Fargo to fill a second team. Unfortunately, this was voted down by the powers that be at the state level over this past weekend. I'm not sure why, since there aren't exactly a lot of teams out there and we have been hearing about the need for a second team in Fargo for a long time. I guess that it's another case of politics getting in the way of what's best for kids. Shouldn't be too surprised - it happens every day in every walk of life. I'm not sure how the move for a second team got started or if it was being pursued for the right reasons. What I AM sure of is that,no matter what brought the movement about, having a second team in Fargo is the best thing for kids - no question.

if this is the case (that the new team got shot down by the state board) i look forward to seeing what the two individuals that were behind the attempted new team end up doing. one of them will more than likely go play aau ball while the other one will probably try to crawl back the post 2 program. got a link to the meeting minutes by chance? id like to see what all was discussed and how the situation played out.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ugalee7 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Bagboy wrote:I also believe that the time has come for a second Legion team. There are plenty of good players in Fargo to fill a second team. Unfortunately, this was voted down by the powers that be at the state level over this past weekend. I'm not sure why, since there aren't exactly a lot of teams out there and we have been hearing about the need for a second team in Fargo for a long time. I guess that it's another case of politics getting in the way of what's best for kids. Shouldn't be too surprised - it happens every day in every walk of life. I'm not sure how the move for a second team got started or if it was being pursued for the right reasons. What I AM sure of is that,no matter what brought the movement about, having a second team in Fargo is the best thing for kids - no question.

If it is official that it was voted down then the right decision was made. Those powers that be as you call them are from all over the state, some that could have benefited competitively by having Fargo split into two teams. They saw through it for what it was. Disgruntled kids and disgruntled parents who didn't get their way. I don't know where you've been hearing for a long time about the need for a second team. It never really surfaced until the previous coach wasn't brought back. Is there a need for a second team, maybe but it needs to be done the right way. Start it like they did with the new high school, seperating the kids a younger level than the varsity and working into it.. Heck in the long run Post 2 might even sponsor it
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bagboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:53 am

The idea of a second Legion team in Fargo isn't by any means a new idea. It's been talked about for a long time. Unfortunately, disgruntled parents go with the territory in sports these days - kinda sad really. It seems like parents who are lucky enough to have kids that are involved in something positive should be satisfied with that, but many aren't. Maybe this was brought about by parents with their own agenda, but the creation of a second Legion team in Fargo is long overdue. I'm not sure why it was voted down, maybe time will tell. Maybe you're right, Post 2 might sponsor a second team - that would still be a good thing. Like I've said all along, a second team would be a good thing for the kids. That is what should drive these decisions - what is best for kids.
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Class A