Coach Ibach of Fargo Post 2

Coach Ibach of Fargo Post 2

Postby 75ford » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Fargo Forum showed today that Bill Ibach will not be returning as coach this year, anyone know what is going on?
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Re: Coach Ibach of Fargo Post 2

Postby Fargo314 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:52 pm

It's about time this was done. Ibach has driven more kids away from Post 2 baseball then anybody would belive. His attitude toward most of his players and parents has been a problem for years. As someone who has had sons play at the high school, college level and for Post 2 I have never seen any coach who had less respect from either players or parents. With a new coach I hope many of the parents of past players will come back and support the program.
Fargo314

Postby 75ford » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Fargo314 wrote:It's about time this was done. Ibach has driven more kids away from Post 2 baseball then anybody would belive. His attitude toward most of his players and parents has been a problem for years. As someone who has had sons play at the high school, college level and for Post 2 I have never seen any coach who had less respect from either players or parents. With a new coach I hope many of the parents of past players will come back and support the program.

Sounds like this will help the program, I know another problem that you hear about that program on the Post 2, and Bomber teams is how the Shanley players have been favored there for the last 3-5 years. Hopefully they will not be going with a coach from one of the local fargo High schools.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Fargo314 wrote:It's about time this was done. Ibach has driven more kids away from Post 2 baseball then anybody would belive. His attitude toward most of his players and parents has been a problem for years. As someone who has had sons play at the high school, college level and for Post 2 I have never seen any coach who had less respect from either players or parents. With a new coach I hope many of the parents of past players will come back and support the program.

If you would eliminate the player problems with the coach he sounds perfect, I wish just 1 time I could have played any sport for a coach that was not attempting to please peoples parents, that should reduce a lot of politics in athletics!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 7andpoo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Bill Ibach is a great guy who i have had the pleasure to play for and i have nothing but respect for the man. There are a couple of problems though with him handing post 2. Bill is an old school guy, doing the small things right and very conservative. with having a 65-70ish game schedule, his personalilty can really be monotonous as the season goes on because he doesnt really keep things exciting. If you loved playing legion and didnt mind giving up your summers for a sport you love this wasn't an issue, but for the kids that also wanted a friend and tons of fun with Ibach as with the high school coaches, like Fic and Donny, you weren't gonna get that type of fun. Only problem i had with coach Ibach was some of the decisons come tourney time, but i wont go into details. He was a good coach, good guy, but I think it's time for Post 2 to move forward and start with a new coach and personally a whole new staff. Get rid of Rustads and worthless pitching coach.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball101 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:50 pm

That sounds like a good idea. And i believe that one of the assistants last year for Post 2 was from Shanley and having a coach from all 3 major Fargo schools would be a good thing for legion, or else there shouldn't be any coaches from any of the schools.
baseball101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchool » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:09 pm

I am sure coach Ibach's attitude was the problem. Fargo314 give me a break. Respect, Bill is quite possibly the most respectable man I have had the pleasure of coaching against. I know that there was no issue of respect. Maybe you shouldn't look much past yourself, and the attitude problem. Bill is a great man who devoted more than 20 yrs of his life to both playing and coaching for Post 2. He was a guy that was in it for all the right reasons, and talk about classless....this board had both and agenda and they showed how classless this program will become. I have had contact with many alumni that will do nothing more than distance themselves from this program. You will not see Coach Bryant having anything to do with this. I can see Fic possibly stepping up his kid is a Bomber.
I coached against Bill for nine years, and he was the ultimate in class as were his teams. Read the American Legion code and show me where Bill did anything other than exactly that.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:51 pm

People leave for various reasons, personal and professional. I'm sure he did the best job he thought he could do during those years. Good luck to the next coach, may they be a positive force in a lot of young peoples lives.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby dead ball era » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:16 pm

It's disappointing to read the negative comments about Bill Ibach from those that are clearly a part of the program. Those of you who identified yourselves as parents - shame on you. You will be hard-pressed to find another person as dedicated to the program as Bill. Those (possibly Post 2 players) of you who continue to rant about the supposed Shanley favoritism - grow up. There were 18 players on the Post 2 roster (19 with Brady Kayes). Of the 18 full-rostered players, 4 were from Shanley. There are 3 high school baseball programs that feed Post 2: North, South, & Shanley-Oak Grove. If 4 of 18 represent one program, that is certainly not disproportional. Two of the Shanley kids (Jones & Schweigert) platooned at catcher. Was the catching position a marked improvement from 2007......I think so. Jagim and Sand led the team in most offensive categories. Where was the favoritism?

Problems? How about one of the players failing to report his "Minor in Consumption" to the team and putting the entire team's post-season at risk? How about parents stomping around at the State Tournament voicing their anti-Shanley sentiment for all to hear. I thought Post 2 was a "Fargo" team. Isn't Shanley part of Fargo?

Those of you who voiced displeasure about the Rustads.....It's clear you cannot handle their no-nonsense style. I've known both for a long time and have seen them build boys into men. Those who complain are usually "marshmallows" who are used to being coddled (by parents and coaches alike). The real world is going to shock the heck out of you.

I don't know what's next for Post 2, but I certainly hope it won't move towards trying to please the likes of some of the posters on this site. If that's the case, Post 2 may as well become a slow-pitch softball team. Bring your own hat, we'll all play, have a few laughs, and go out for wings and beer afterwards.
Is this heaven? It's Iowa. - Field of Dreams
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm

dead ball era wrote:It's disappointing to read the negative comments about Bill Ibach from those that are clearly a part of the program. Those of you who identified yourselves as parents - shame on you. You will be hard-pressed to find another person as dedicated to the program as Bill. Those (possibly Post 2 players) of you who continue to rant about the supposed Shanley favoritism - grow up. There were 18 players on the Post 2 roster (19 with Brady Kayes). Of the 18 full-rostered players, 4 were from Shanley. There are 3 high school baseball programs that feed Post 2: North, South, & Shanley-Oak Grove. If 4 of 18 represent one program, that is certainly not disproportional. Two of the Shanley kids (Jones & Schweigert) platooned at catcher. Was the catching position a marked improvement from 2007......I think so. Jagim and Sand led the team in most offensive categories. Where was the favoritism?

Problems? How about one of the players failing to report his "Minor in Consumption" to the team and putting the entire team's post-season at risk? How about parents stomping around at the State Tournament voicing their anti-Shanley sentiment for all to hear. I thought Post 2 was a "Fargo" team. Isn't Shanley part of Fargo?

Those of you who voiced displeasure about the Rustads.....It's clear you cannot handle their no-nonsense style. I've known both for a long time and have seen them build boys into men. Those who complain are usually "marshmallows" who are used to being coddled (by parents and coaches alike). The real world is going to shock the heck out of you.

I don't know what's next for Post 2, but I certainly hope it won't move towards trying to please the likes of some of the posters on this site. If that's the case, Post 2 may as well become a slow-pitch softball team. Bring your own hat, we'll all play, have a few laughs, and go out for wings and beer afterwards.

Thank you, I have been trying to think of somthing to compare most people these days to and that is PERFECT!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 7andpoo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:46 pm

dead ball era wrote:Those of you who voiced displeasure about the Rustads.....It's clear you cannot handle their no-nonsense style. I've known both for a long time and have seen them build boys into men. Those who complain are usually "marshmallows" who are used to being coddled (by parents and coaches alike). The real world is going to shock the heck out of you.

Yes I played on this past summers team, and it's not that luke is a hard nose coach who knows his stuff, I would have no problem with that, I would prefer that over a buddy pal coach who doesnt know anything. Problem with Luke is that there was ZERO improvement in anything he worked with. How many errors did Post 2 have against Mandan at state?? All Luke does is put the shortstops so far back that they have to charge every ball, rush the play and make errors. I actually like Luke as a guy, he sees stuff how it is, but the fact is that he didn't better one player on this summers team So now we have a hard nose coach who doesnt help, that hurts the team. Randall is nuetral to me as he didn't really do much except throw batting practice but even that was unreproductive when most of our rounds would be a full-count, he throws one ball, its a ball, and your done. But i respect him for being there on his own time. Post 2 will need to find coaches who will make changes when stuff doesnt work.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby sports4lif3 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:47 pm

dead ball era wrote:It's disappointing to read the negative comments about Bill Ibach from those that are clearly a part of the program. Those of you who identified yourselves as parents - shame on you. You will be hard-pressed to find another person as dedicated to the program as Bill. Those (possibly Post 2 players) of you who continue to rant about the supposed Shanley favoritism - grow up. There were 18 players on the Post 2 roster (19 with Brady Kayes). Of the 18 full-rostered players, 4 were from Shanley. There are 3 high school baseball programs that feed Post 2: North, South, & Shanley-Oak Grove. If 4 of 18 represent one program, that is certainly not disproportional. Two of the Shanley kids (Jones & Schweigert) platooned at catcher. Was the catching position a marked improvement from 2007......I think so. Jagim and Sand led the team in most offensive categories. Where was the favoritism?

I am a current Post 2 player and completely agree with this post. I will miss coach Ibach very much. He was a great coach and always did what he thought best for his team. I doubt you will find more than a handful from the Post 2 team who think otherwise. Frankly, I'm quite upset about the move and would really like to know the reasons behind it form the program.
sports4lif3

Postby shs01240 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:14 am

I thoroughly enjoyed my two summers of Post 2 baseball with Bill at the helm. Any guy that allows me to play a baseball game everyday of a summer is alright by me.

I hope his replacement exemplifies as much love and respect for the game and the Post 2 tradition as he did.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ppbo71ws » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:06 pm

I read all of the comments below regarding Coach Ibach.

Last time I checked all roster members play for FARGO POST 2 or FARGO BOMBERS, and all are residents of Fargo. I don't see the school name of North, South or Shanley in the team name (some people obviously do) so for those COMPLAINING about playing time of kids and the school they attend I think you need to re-evaluate your thought process. In this case, one or more are insinuating that Shanley kids were being shown favoritism with playing time. Did the players think that or the parents think that, or both? I wonder if Shanley players felt Shanley players were being favored? Did the Shanley kid or kids perform? Did the performance warrant the playing time? I believe the coaches keep statistics that might support what they are doing with the team and playing time. This is not Park District baseball anymore nor is it Babe Ruth baseball. Playing time in no longer equal or guaranteed, rather it must be earned through attitude, hard work and performance. The young men competing at this level are either one year into college or almost through high school and soon off to college, the military or whatever they choose. The real world will not be easy on them so stop coddling them in legion baseball.

Everyone has an opinion regarding Coach Ibach and the job he did or did not do, decisions he made or didn't make, etc.... All of us are critical of a coach at one time or another, that's human nature. The job of evaluating the coach or coaches should be left with those that oversee the coaching staff. They alone should evaluate based on what they see. If they choose to ask players and parents about it, so be it and they can use that information as they see fit, but make no mistake about it, not one parent of any player in the program should be involved in that process nor should they influence the process in any way.

Regarding the performance of the players this past summer and improvement or lack of, as well as the performance at the state tournament, there is enough blame to go around. The coaches and players are responsible.
ppbo71ws
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Number7 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Might be Coach Ibach of West Fargo in the near future
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:20 am

Make that Coach Ibach of Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/229347/
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 am

I was talking about legion in regards to WF
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby 7andpoo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 am

"Ibach coached Post 2 for eight seasons and posted a 449-165-1 record with the team. He also led Post 2 to the North Dakota Class A Legion title in 2005."

a roughly .730 winning percentage gets you fired. wow
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:54 am

7andpoo wrote:"Ibach coached Post 2 for eight seasons and posted a 449-165-1 record with the team. He also led Post 2 to the North Dakota Class A Legion title in 2005."

a winning percentage of .730 is great don't get me wrong. but when you play a 70 games a summer and play a lot of meaningless games what does a .730 winning percentage mean when your taking 6th place at state? it means nothing. you play for state championships period.
kingjames
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:59 am

Bill will be the assistant at West Fargo for Legion as well. What a shame this is.
When will Fargo have a second legion program? :wink:
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby 75ford » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 pm

OldSchool wrote:Bill will be the assistant at West Fargo for Legion as well. What a shame this is.
When will Fargo have a second legion program? :wink:

The Fargo Post 2 board may have started the thinking to get the ball rolling forward in the 2nd legion program by hiring the North high coach, that is also a parent of one of the players.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 am

i love the whiny south parents..yes the same ones who broke away and made the usssa team a while back. who dont want to play for coach fichtner because they feel he is going to favor his son and his other north players. well for those of you who think that must not know the man. he loves winning and will put the best possible line-up out night and and night out... ANNND a second team would just be stupid when fargo can't win with one team. Now we split up the teams? for what reason?...
kingjames
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 pm

kingjames wrote:i love the whiny south parents..yes the same ones who broke away and made the usssa team a while back. who dont want to play for coach fichtner because they feel he is going to favor his son and his other north players. well for those of you who think that must not know the man. he loves winning and will put the best possible line-up out night and and night out... ANNND a second team would just be stupid when fargo can't win with one team. Now we split up the teams? for what reason?...

Let's keep in mind whiny parents isn't an exclusively South thing. That said, I wish people would move past their petty complaints and realize NO coach puts "his" players in a game for the sake of getting them experience if it means the team has to lose.

I already feel sorry for coach Fiechtner. The guy hasn't even coached a freakin game and he has to deal with childish politics.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby greatbambino » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:10 pm

7andpoo wrote:"Ibach coached Post 2 for eight seasons and posted a 449-165-1 record with the team. He also led Post 2 to the North Dakota Class A Legion title in 2005."

A.) he wasnt fired. that would require him to have been retaining the position and having his position terminated. he simply wasnt renewed.
B.) where was the program headed? the .730 winning percentage is great and all, but the program always finished the season in mediocrity by failing to win state. the program had one state championship in 8 years. minot has had 4 in that time period. do you play to win the most games possible or state championships?

shs01240 wrote:Let's keep in mind whiny parents isn't an exclusively South thing. That said, I wish people would move past their petty complaints and realize NO coach puts "his" players in a game for the sake of getting them experience if it means the team has to lose.

I already feel sorry for coach Fiechtner. The guy hasn't even coached a freakin game and he has to deal with childish politics.

are you assuming the team is going to lose by putting those players in?
the south parents point was made because the south parents have already complained about this before and paid their way into getting their own team. get ready for the horace legion team to be created so they can have it their way again.

at least the players will have fun the entire season now.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby 7andpoo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:14 am

[quote="greatbambino"][quote="7andpoo"]"Ibach coached Post 2 for eight seasons and posted a 449-165-1 record with the team. He also led Post 2 to the North Dakota Class A Legion title in 2005."

A.) he wasnt fired. that would require him to have been retaining the position and having his position terminated. he simply wasnt renewed.
B.) where was the program headed? the .730 winning percentage is great and all, but the program always finished the season in mediocrity by failing to win state. the program had one state championship in 8 years. minot has had 4 in that time period. do you play to win the most games possible or state championships?

Look at the players Minot had for . I bet Elgie and Lundy have more home runs then the entire Fargo Post 2 program for the past 8 years! Fargo had pitching out their but nothing with hitting, and you cant expect Ibach to teach kids how to hit at this age. Blame a multitude of things like terrible coaching at the babe ruth level where they wont let some people coach cause they treat their team to well ex: Jay matthews back in the day. You had parents that just want kids to have fun and are just glorifed baby sitters and they dont teach the kids a thing about hitting. I played legion last year and have some of the worst hitting mechanics I know, have had them since I was young, but did anyone come and try to teach me how to hit? heck no they just let me swing out of my shoes and hurt the team at the plate. Correcting mistakes is one thing that I havent seen coaches do around here in a very long time and someone needs to step up and make true adjustments with the team. /end of all over the place sloppy rant
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Class A