MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:27 am

riders wrote:Messer would have been drafted highly...

I'm confused. Why wasn't he drafted so highly? You never mentioned that.

riders wrote:...how could he not be drafted, he took his team to the WORLD SERIES!

Is this sarcastic? Honest question.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby baller01 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:15 am

i_see_it_all wrote:
baller01 wrote:
i_see_it_all wrote:carr might sign because hes only got a year left to get his stock up.

elgie, best of luck at KU. 12th round out of HS is excellent, bright future.

feldman was twice the player burgard was, heck i could name 10 players in ND that are twice the player burgard is and their not getting drafted. laber is a lefty with some decent stuff, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he went in the 48th round. just dont think he will though.

The thing with Elgie is, if he doesn't sign and goes to KU, he has to wait til after his junior to be drafted again. I texted Carr a little bit ago and he said last year a guy from the U of M was drafted around there and received 75,000 and a year of school. I'm not sure if he will take it or not. That doesn't mean that is what he will foresure get, that is just a rough estimate.



he only has to wait until the end of his sophomore year peter gammons. juco 1 year wait, 4 year school 2 year wait. 75,000? not even close dude, get a clue. hes going to KU

As stated by someone else, you DO have to wait until after your junior year to be drafted again, which Kansas is a four year school. So I was right there. And the "75,000 one year of school thing", like I stated, was what a U of Minnesota player received last year being selected close to there. I didn't say Carr and Elgie were going to receive the exact same, someone just stated they didn't have a clue what a mid 12th round pick would get and I tried to give them an idea.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
User avatar
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby brownbomber » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Flip wrote:
riders wrote:Messer would have been drafted highly...

I'm confused. Why wasn't he drafted so highly? You never mentioned that.

riders wrote:...how could he not be drafted, he took his team to the WORLD SERIES!

Is this sarcastic? Honest question.


messer hurt his arm after high school and hes had multiple surgeries on it
I am what I am
User avatar
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby Number7 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:40 pm

magichoops wrote:The 12th round is the highest a North Dakota High School kid has ever been drafted. My guess would be though he will go the Erstad route and go to school unless the money and bonus are out of this world, but I doubt that. You never know though.

No sorry its not...Darin Erstad went #1 overall in I believe 1998 or somewhere areound there.
\
"Pressure makes diamonds"
User avatar
Number7
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby Willy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am

Jason Schutt from Jamestown HS got drafted by the Indians in the 10th round in 2005, after playing 3 yrs. at Central Missouri State.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:36 am

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby OldSchool » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Elgie is the highest a ND high school player has ever been drafted out of high school.....Yes Erstad went #1 overall after playing for Nebraska, but as far as a high school player being drafted Elgie is the highest directly out of high school, and for the record Aaron Marsden was drafted in the 2nd round by the Colorado Rockies after playing for Nebraska.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:05 am

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby BBALL1456 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:08 pm

for some of you saying he is only getting 75,000 thats wrong. Im good friends with his father and he told me that Zac was getting offered about 200,000 over a six year contract
You can have all the talent in the world. But it will get you nowhere without your teammates
User avatar
BBALL1456
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm
Location: Dickinson, , USA

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby HeHateMe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:21 am

Still a for sure minor league contract with numbers like that, I guess we'll see how he does in college, there's definitely room to move up and I think we all wish him the best
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:42 am

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby BBALL1456 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:32 pm

I dont think elgie should take the risk on going to college. He is a great player and if he gets hurt in college it could ruin his chance to obtain a dream
You can have all the talent in the world. But it will get you nowhere without your teammates
User avatar
BBALL1456
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm
Location: Dickinson, , USA

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby baller01 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:26 pm

BBALL1456 wrote:for some of you saying he is only getting 75,000 thats wrong. Im good friends with his father and he told me that Zac was getting offered about 200,000 over a six year contract


I never said he WAS going to get $75,000. I said Carr told me a 12th round draft pick could see something AROUND $75,000.

And by the way, $200,000 over 6 years is not a great contract. Thats only about $30,000 per year. I said around $75,000, he would have got around $30,000. I think I'd rather have the $75,000 a year.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
User avatar
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby baseball18 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:31 pm

highheat wrote:
BBALL1456 wrote:I dont think elgie should take the risk on going to college. He is a great player and if he gets hurt in college it could ruin his chance to obtain a dream


or he could attempt to "obtain a dream" and end up being a flop. take the couple years of college ball to get better (and get an education, aka something to fall back on if it all doesnt work out) then go for the dream.


i think he should take it. there;s also a chance he could not pan out in college and not end up anywhere after that. you can always go back to college to get an education, even if it isn't free
baseball18
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 am

baseball18 wrote:
highheat wrote:
BBALL1456 wrote:I dont think elgie should take the risk on going to college. He is a great player and if he gets hurt in college it could ruin his chance to obtain a dream


or he could attempt to "obtain a dream" and end up being a flop. take the couple years of college ball to get better (and get an education, aka something to fall back on if it all doesnt work out) then go for the dream.


i think he should take it. there;s also a chance he could not pan out in college and not end up anywhere after that. you can always go back to college to get an education, even if it isn't free


if he doesnt pan out in college how would he do playing pro ball? He wil get taught the right fundamentals as Kansas shoudl he choose to go to school. he couldve had the best coach in ND but there is still a huge difference between high school ND coaches an NCAA D1 coaches. even if he doesnt "pan out" he will still be better after playing college then he would be going straight from minot to a farm system.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby BBALL1456 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:27 pm

I was told that if Zac does go pro after his career the A's are going to pay for him to go to college if he hops in right away.
You can have all the talent in the world. But it will get you nowhere without your teammates
User avatar
BBALL1456
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm
Location: Dickinson, , USA

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby riders » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:32 pm

does anyone know if zac made baseball america's top 100 high school prospects of '08?
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:45 am

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby BBALL1456 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm

No he didnt. He wasnt even in the top 200
You can have all the talent in the world. But it will get you nowhere without your teammates
User avatar
BBALL1456
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm
Location: Dickinson, , USA

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby riders » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm

so if he wasnt in the top 200, why not go to college? if the A's are going to pay him for the tuition anyway why not? make a name for yourself on the national level and put it out there for even more scouts to see you in college. plus this at least gives him a career in case something does go wrong with his baseball career. playing college baseball is going to be way better than going from high school to a minor league team. granted he would be getting paid it is still better for him in my opinion, especially if he is going to be reimbursed for his time in school once he is drafted again.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:45 am

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby Strike3? » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:20 am

riders wrote:so if he wasnt in the top 200, why not go to college? if the A's are going to pay him for the tuition anyway why not? make a name for yourself on the national level and put it out there for even more scouts to see you in college. plus this at least gives him a career in case something does go wrong with his baseball career. playing college baseball is going to be way better than going from high school to a minor league team. granted he would be getting paid it is still better for him in my opinion, especially if he is going to be reimbursed for his time in school once he is drafted again.


If he decided not to sign with the A's...they wouldn't pay his tuition. If he signed and went down there and played baseball and it didn't work out...then the A's would pay for his schooling.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
User avatar
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby Willy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:11 pm

That means this subject can take a break until 2011 unless he quits school or transfers to a JUCO.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:36 am

Previous

Return to Class A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests