state champs

state champs

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:54 am

congrats to williston on their 1st ever title! 21 scoreless innings, that is amazing! sorenson was a monster and should be the one getting the pitching hype. he killed dickinson and shut the door on south. in my opinion hes the best pitcher in the state right now. egge is also a stud. westphal not coach of the year?

shanley was pathetic, how were they a 2 seed. east baseball

on a side note, the west went 6-2 against the east. i was impressed with south's pitching in the 3 games though.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Re: state champs

Postby riders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:50 am

best pitchers in the state..look at their stats and tell me that they are not all on about the same level. ERA and # of walks in innings for some of these guys are amazing. SO is a good indication too. the shanley guys are freaks by stats (but edc says alot) and the best in the west is between the 4 listed.

Williston
Sorenson, 7-0, 1.78 ERA, 43.1 IP, 23 BB, 52 SO
Minot
Bollinger, 4-3, 1.24 ERA, 45.1 IP, 26 BB, 62 SO
Dickinson
Grant Kovacs, 7-0, 0.37 ERA, 38.1 IP, 8 BB, 31 SO
D Lake
Jason Burdick, 3-1, 2.39 ERA, 41 IP, 19 BB, 30 SO
Shanley
ZachFrappier, 8-1, 0.98 ERA, 64.1 IP, 10 BB, 70 SO
Eric Jagim, 4-2, 0.65 ERA, 43.1 IP, 23 BB, 69 SO
South
Max Rusch, 5-0, 3 saves, 47.1 IP, 14 BB, 77 SO
Century
Wentz, 5-0, 1.48 ERA, 47.1 IP, 22 BB, 67 SO.
Johnson, 5-2, 0.93 ERA, 45.1 IP, 27 BB, 48 SO

sorry to get a little off topic but "best in the state" kinda compelled me to say otherwise
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Ryne Lund CHS
34.67 IP, 7-2, 2 saves, 0.61 era, 6 bb, 21 k.
I am impressed by this considering, he was never on varsity until his senior year, and not only that but in that 7-2 record i am almost positive not 1 of those games was a second game! Not too shabby for a high school relief/closer
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brownbomber » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:03 pm

riders wrote:best pitchers in the state..look at their stats and tell me that they are not all on about the same level. ERA and # of walks in innings for some of these guys are amazing. SO is a good indication too. the shanley guys are freaks by stats (but edc says alot) and the best in the west is between the 4 listed.

Williston
Sorenson, 7-0, 1.78 ERA, 43.1 IP, 23 BB, 52 SO
Minot
Bollinger, 4-3, 1.24 ERA, 45.1 IP, 26 BB, 62 SO
Dickinson
Grant Kovacs, 7-0, 0.37 ERA, 38.1 IP, 8 BB, 31 SO
D Lake
Jason Burdick, 3-1, 2.39 ERA, 41 IP, 19 BB, 30 SO
Shanley
ZachFrappier, 8-1, 0.98 ERA, 64.1 IP, 10 BB, 70 SO
Eric Jagim, 4-2, 0.65 ERA, 43.1 IP, 23 BB, 69 SO
South
Max Rusch, 5-0, 3 saves, 47.1 IP, 14 BB, 77 SO
Century
Wentz, 5-0, 1.48 ERA, 47.1 IP, 22 BB, 67 SO.
Johnson, 5-2, 0.93 ERA, 45.1 IP, 27 BB, 48 SO

sorry to get a little off topic but "best in the state" kinda compelled me to say otherwise

kovacs should be 8-0 there buddy
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:18 pm

ya i know. this was before state
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dead ball era » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:congrats to williston on their 1st ever title! 21 scoreless innings, that is amazing! sorenson was a monster and should be the one getting the pitching hype. he killed dickinson and shut the door on south. in my opinion hes the best pitcher in the state right now. egge is also a stud. westphal not coach of the year?

on a side note, the west went 6-2 against the east. i was impressed with south's pitching in the 3 games though.

Long-time viewer, first-time poster -- Hold on now i_see_it_all, I can tell by your demeanor that you are a "youngster." Back in the dead ball era, we measured teams by their season, not by one weekend. That's why baseball usually plays out it's championships in series rather than single-elimination tournaments. But I guess given you are a product of the ESPN highlight and "what have you done for me lately" internet forum generation, you can only be expected to think the way you do.

Before you criticize "east baseball," consider this: there were three (3) 1, 2, 3,..... Fargo teams in the state tournament (North, South, Shanley). Bismarck-Mandan, a somewhat comparable metro area had one (1), 1,..... Century. That would say to me that the Fargo Metro Area has more all-around talent than Bismarck???? Shanley can no more be judged by it's less-than-capable showing last weekend than Williston by its greater-than-expected pitching. According to your logic, and given its 3 shutouts last weekend, Williston shouldn't have allowed a run all season and may not give up a run this summer in Legion.

Now, before you continue to run off at the mouth about east baseball, you should take the time to consider what three (3) 1, 2, 3,..... state high school tournament entrants combining for one (1), 1,... Legion team means. I think this summer's Fargo Legion team will show you a thing or two about east baseball.

Now, get back on your horse, or whatever farm animal got you to the public library so you could post and try to get over your western ND inferiority complex. Hockey season is just around the corner. It must be devestating for you.
Is this heaven? It's Iowa. - Field of Dreams
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Orr4 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:34 pm

highheat wrote:
dead ball era wrote:Long-time viewer, first-time poster -- Hold on now i_see_it_all, I can tell by your demeanor that you are a "youngster." Back in the dead ball era, we measured teams by their season, not by one weekend. That's why baseball usually plays out it's championships in series rather than single-elimination tournaments. But I guess given you are a product of the ESPN highlight and "what have you done for me lately" internet forum generation, you can only be expected to think the way you do.

Before you criticize "east baseball," consider this: there were three (3) 1, 2, 3,..... Fargo teams in the state tournament (North, South, Shanley). Bismarck-Mandan, a somewhat comparable metro area had one (1), 1,..... Century. That would say to me that the Fargo Metro Area has more all-around talent than Bismarck???? Shanley can no more be judged by it's less-than-capable showing last weekend than Williston by its greater-than-expected pitching. According to your logic, and given its 3 shutouts last weekend, Williston shouldn't have allowed a run all season and may not give up a run this summer in Legion.

Now, before you continue to run off at the mouth about east baseball, you should take the time to consider what three (3) 1, 2, 3,..... state high school tournament entrants combining for one (1), 1,... Legion team means. I think this summer's Fargo Legion team will show you a thing or two about east baseball.

Now, get back on your horse, or whatever farm animal got you to the public library so you could post and try to get over your western ND inferiority complex. Hockey season is just around the corner. It must be devestating for you.

if there was an applause smiley face i would give it to you. make sure you put your flame suit on quick though.
i have one discrepancy with your view of the fargo legion team though. ill agree that the team is loaded with talent every year because it draws from 3 high schools. but because all these kids are from different schools, the team suffers from a lack of chemistry every year. talent CAN win a state championship (the 2005 fargo legion team was loaded with studs), but when you dont have talent like that, you have to have good chemistry (williston for instance. i didnt think they had any superior talent to anybody but those kids have played together from day 1).

I agree with highheat. sure...talent can get you somewhere but chemistry can get you farther and williston was a great example of that.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:15 pm

dead ball era wrote:
i_see_it_all wrote:congrats to williston on their 1st ever title! 21 scoreless innings, that is amazing! sorenson was a monster and should be the one getting the pitching hype. he killed dickinson and shut the door on south. in my opinion hes the best pitcher in the state right now. egge is also a stud. westphal not coach of the year?

Long-time viewer, first-time poster -- Hold on now i_see_it_all, I can tell by your demeanor that you are a "youngster." Back in the dead ball era, we measured teams by their season, not by one weekend. That's why baseball usually plays out it's championships in series rather than single-elimination tournaments. But I guess given you are a product of the ESPN highlight and "what have you done for me lately" internet forum generation, you can only be expected to think the way you do.

ok dead ball era, i can tell by your knowledge that you are a clueless baseball spectator so i'll make this easy for you and go in order of your comments since you like numbers so much.

1) sorenson hasnt lost a high school game in 2 years, 14-0. not exactly a "what have you done for me lately state tourament stat." not willistons fault the way the NDHSAA format is set up for state.

2) Fargo has 3 teams in the tournament because there is nobody worth a hitch in the east. throw them in the west with the big boys and they might get 1 team in the tourney. thus the 6-2 west record over the east showed. its no secret the west dominates opening rounds vs the east every year. take a look corky.

3) Fargo SHOULD dominate the state legion every year, they have nearly 100,000 people compared to most towns that have 15-30. but they dont because fargo baseball is down with no talent. minot and dickinson are the baseball powerhouses in the 21st century old man. no more rick helling fargo superstar clubs because the east doesn't have the talent.

4) if u want to brag up the east, stick to the hockey forum. you'll have a lot better arguments there james carville.

so get back to taking out the garbage and cleaning toilets at the ralph so you can take your kid skating tonight. nice "first" post. :wink:
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:34 pm

anyone else notice how the east got shut out 3-4 opening round games vs west. bollinger held south scoreless until the 5th when minot decided to throw the ball around and self destruct with errors.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby dead ball era » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:46 pm

To i_see_it_all : Thank you for proving me right. Your immaturity and shortsightedness is very clear in your last post. You have been very selective in what stats you will discuss and, when backed in a corner, you came up with the old "Fargo should be........" Last time I checked only nine players could play at one time. Granted, having greater numbers from which to select a team makes a huge difference. But your jealously and inferiority v. eastern ND is so very clear. It's an old, tired, hick mentality. Get over it. It is clear to me that the last time you crossed the Missouri River (to the east) was under court order.

And, by the way, the Ralph references get old fast. Does western ND have a first class facility on the level of the Ralph? So, once again, your mention of it shows your inferiority complex.

So, instead of perpetuating this east v. west kick you are on, you need to find something on your level which you can discuss. And, by the way, I will continue to stick to baseball, something I can guarantee you I have more knowledge and experience in given the posts of yours I have read.
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:58 pm

nice comeback post. you sure proved me that you know so much.

shortsightedness, who says that? :lol:
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby dead ball era » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:nice comeback post. you sure proved me that you know so much.

shortsightedness, who says that? :lol:

Oh my, multi-syllabic words. I can see that I am way out of your league. I apologize for trying to engage you in meaningful dialogue. I'll retire from this thread and leave any further "discussion" up to you and your vast repository of baseball wisdom. I guess I just didn't understand that Joe Torre had the time to champion the virtues of western ND baseball on this site. Let's just hope the Dodger front office doesn't find out what you are up to in your free time.

ps - Have someone sound out the big words for you.
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brownbomber » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 am

well their hick attitude just got them another state championship over an east team that i heard was going to dominate them with pitching. first off it showed the west had better pitching. one of the top 4 aces closed the game for williston, south did not see wentz who i believe beat north and i think they were held scoreless for 4 innings against bollinger, but yes they did win but scoreless 4 innings. And yes we do have the ralph and were getting the fargo force in fargo so both sides have their respectful sports that they are good at. both sides produce good athletes maybe more from the east but still each side has their strengths
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby the captain » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 am

To say that by bragging up the west is a "what have you done for me latly" thing is a flat out lie. What has the east done latly in Legion ball? since 1990 (counting Jamestown as a west team like in High School) the west has won the state tournament 14 times whereas the east has won a mere 4 times and in high school baseball since it started in 1994 the west has won 10 times and the east has won 5 times. So yes i do believe that historically the west has been better at baseball.
the captain

Postby dead ball era » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 am

Gentlemen:

You are missing my original point. All this talk about east v. west and stats, stats, stats.... You are doing to ND baseball what fantasy football has done for the NFL. (Yes, I know fantasy football is played by millions and generates big dollars....) My point is that, like your banter, fantasy football does nothing for the game.

Baseball stats are the most subjective of any sport. Baseball is a beautiful game, but it can also be very cruel. Note the the sharp liner to left caught as an out v. the "oops" swing bloop to right which is a hit. I accept that baseball has historically had an obsession with stats. But leave that to Vin Scully and Bob Costas. They are the pros who know when and how to use them.

Your obsession with east v. west and choice of subjective statistics does nothing to promote ND baseball. It amounts to nothing less than: "na na, na na, na na."

I guess in the "in your face" generation, that's ok. And I realize I came to the wrong place if I was expecting constructive discussion. I apologize for stooping low with my comebacks. It's contagious on this site.

Finally, I never criticized Williston's state championship nor did I refer to Williston as "hicks." As can be expected here, you are reading something into my comments that were simply never stated. I referred to i_see_it_all as having a "hick attitude" when it comes to inferiority complex regarding Fargo.

Please don't attribute things to me that weren't stated. Unless, of course, that's what you do here. Then, by all means, go right ahead.
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HeHateMe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:14 am

I for one am deeply touched by this latest post, and furthermore vote to end the hostility between the east and west.
On a lighter note I think you can still attribute the west being slightly better in baseball due to the fact that the east has 2-3 more weeks of snow on the ground then the west, allowing 2-3 more weeks of long toss, game like situations, ground balls, and my favorite, practicing the long ball.... us easterners like to stick with "cage bombs" and the westys prefer the real deal.....
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby brownbomber » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:49 pm

HeHateMe wrote:I for one am deeply touched by this latest post, and furthermore vote to end the hostility between the east and west.
On a lighter note I think you can still attribute the west being slightly better in baseball due to the fact that the east has 2-3 more weeks of snow on the ground then the west, allowing 2-3 more weeks of long toss, game like situations, ground balls, and my favorite, practicing the long ball.... us easterners like to stick with "cage bombs" and the westys prefer the real deal.....

making excuses is doing anything. whats done is done
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:50 pm

I just wanted to clarify that the east was down this year, so obviously Fargo should get 3 teams in the state tournament. The bulk of the talent in the east is usually in Fargo, so dir I'd hope they'd get multiple bids. The west is usually more balanced you have Dickinson which is a baseball town I mean they pretty much practice year round. Williston has had some great teams the last several years, and then there's Minot, another baseball town. And Bismarck is only about 70,000 ppl compared to Fargo's 100,000 with 3 high schools, the same as Fargo, the Bismarck schools are usually very evenly matched talent wise every year, plus the west has been so balanced that is why you don't see multiple Bismarck schools at state every year.

As for legion it is sad really, Fargo should be winning state every year. They have 100,000 ppl for crying out loud.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby WPower » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 pm

god why aren't you patronizing us? jeez
o and no you called the entire west "hicks", now who has the predujice? :roll:
WPower
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dead ball era » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:39 pm

dead ball era wrote:To i_see_it_all : Thank you for proving me right. Your immaturity and shortsightedness is very clear in your last post. You have been very selective in what stats you will discuss and, when backed in a corner, you came up with the old "Fargo should be........" Last time I checked only nine players could play at one time. Granted, having greater numbers from which to select a team makes a huge difference. But your jealously and inferiority v. eastern ND is so very clear. It's an old, tired, hick mentality. Get over it. It is clear to me that the last time you crossed the Missouri River (to the east) was under court order.

And, by the way, the Ralph references get old fast. Does western ND have a first class facility on the level of the Ralph? So, once again, your mention of it shows your inferiority complex.

So, instead of perpetuating this east v. west kick you are on, you need to find something on your level which you can discuss. And, by the way, I will continue to stick to baseball, something I can guarantee you I have more knowledge and experience in given the posts of yours I have read.

When a salutation says: "To: i_see_it_all" it probably means it is addressed specifically to that particular individual. So, how anyone can claim that "you called the west hicks" is beyond me.

I am leaving the thread so I don't further confuse some and so most of you can go back to your lifelong goal of hitting .400 on PlayStation. This was certainly a lesson in futility. I can only hope that you are better able to comprehend what you read in your schoolwork. I am praying for your teachers and future employers. I am out.

ps - Please, please, please, take at least some time to review your posts. Some of you are only hitting .350 with your spelling.
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HeHateMe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:06 pm

dead ball era wrote:s - Please, please, please, take at least some time to review your posts. Some of you are only hitting .350 with your spelling.

haha nice analogy
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mod Bot » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:44 pm

This has pretty much spiraled into nothing.

Topic closed.
Forum rules - Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.
Mod Bot
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Class A