Best Hitter

Best Hitter

Postby demon_fan14 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Over the season i have read so comments about who people think is the best hitter in the state and it seems its always between zac elgie and zac wentz.....with cole frenzel also getting some love......all are good hitters no disagreement there.....but after looking at the state tournament capsules in the paper today i found that dickinsons ben herauf seemed to have the most impressive numbers......why have i not heard more about him?

just a few things to make my point.....
doubles....15......almost triple wentz' 6 and 5 more than frenzels' 10....not sure how many elgie has but im sure less...
HRs....4.....1 more than wentz and frenzel....1 less than elgie
RBI....29....one more than frenzel.....7 more than wents....4 more than elgie
BA....470...less than frenzel and wentz but higher than elgies
SB.....12.....not a hitting stat but more than the others
also.....21 BB.......no idea what the others have but that is alot....
demon_fan14

Re: Best Hitter

Postby baseball18 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 pm

interesting... yeah Herauf has always been a great hitter. Great power hitter but he's always been overlooked with Frenzel on his team and with media loved Zach Wentz and Zac Elgie taking all the spotlight. I agree with you.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Number7 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 pm

After the Dickinson/Minot game at Minot, Ben was approached by a Cleveland scout who had been there to watch Elgie and seemed pretty interested after only seeing him once.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:31 am

demon_fan14 wrote:Over the season i have read so comments about who people think is the best hitter in the state and it seems its always between zac elgie and zac wentz.....with cole frenzel also getting some love......all are good hitters no disagreement there.....but after looking at the state tournament capsules in the paper today i found that dickinsons ben herauf seemed to have the most impressive numbers......why have i not heard more about him?

just a few things to make my point.....
doubles....15......almost triple wentz' 6 and 5 more than frenzels' 10....not sure how many elgie has but im sure less...
HRs....4.....1 more than wentz and frenzel....1 less than elgie
RBI....29....one more than frenzel.....7 more than wents....4 more than elgie
BA....470...less than frenzel and wentz but higher than elgies
SB.....12.....not a hitting stat but more than the others
also.....21 BB.......no idea what the others have but that is alot....

herauf can hit no doubt about it. patient, great power hitter that can change a game with 1 swing. don't like how he throws his helmet after he makes the 3rd out but thats beyond the point. he had a fantastic year for dickinson and had another nice HR in the 3rd place game. but what makes elgie and frenzel the 2 best hitters in the state is their consistency. look at their numbers over the years. these two are on top of the hitting charts each year. Herauf hit .260 last year as a junior, not exactly a good time to hit .260 for college looks. wentz hit .333 last year. frenzel has had the most impressive numbers in the west the past 2 seasons for high school ball. Eglie hit 564 home runs in legion last year and had HUGE numbers when he was a freshman and soph with those big minot teams. regardless these two always hit and are the two that lock in every at bat, every year. that is why they get all the love my friend.

and frenzel hit over 70 points higher than herauf this year at .542 and gets walked twice a game. kind of a big stat you forgot to mention in your "fast facts" id take that over a couple extra doubles and an RBI. :roll:
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 am

so if cole gets to hit a ball once in 3 at bats he's hitting 1.000 ?(assuming he gets walked the other 2 as i_see_it_all said). cole is a good hitter, but he doesnt get a ball across the plate as much as herauf does meaning he has fewer oppertunities to make his average fluctuate. herauf gets the ball a litle more but for most teams its "pick your poison". ben can hit and if you look at his stats it proves it. since he gets more across the plate he has more oppertunities and still has a high average, especially with wood bats.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:15 pm

riders when you hit top shelf you usually get 4-5 AB's a game. (I know your used to getting only 3 sitting at the bottom of the order all the time)

on a side note, your post really doesn't do anything for this topic.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:21 pm

ok..a top of the order hitter might get 1 more AB than a middle/bottom guy. and i was saying that ben has a lower average because he is thrown to more often than cole.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Ben has a 70 point lower average because he isnt the consistent hitter frenzel is. i always keep an eye on the top talent, and he is hands down a better contact hitter. your from dickinson, find out who struck out more, my guess is cole only had about 5 K's all year where as Ben swings through a lot of pitches and gets sit down a little more, just like sorenson did to him.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby tdog09 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:51 pm

the reason frenzel isnt thrown to as much as herauf is because he has proved himself by killing pitchers the last 3 years he did also lead the high school and legion team in home runs for many years
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tdog09 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Cole in 1-2 with 6 wallks and 2 hbps in 3 games so far this legion season and his one out was a bomb at wiliston last night were the kid caught it at the warning track and the wind was pushing it in. so cole gets walked so much but when he gets the pitches to hit he hits them well
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Class A