best sophomore

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:37 pm

#50mandan wrote:he also returns punts in football and is a linebacker.  not many linebackers return punts. i saw him this year get a hold of one against minot and if the wind wouldnt have been 30 mph he would jacked it out. amazing strength.  zac elgie also came up to the plate and ended the game with a 2 rbi triple. elgies in a different category than anyone else, qb, kicker, punter, start basketball as sophomore

steve pleaten played jv last year while wentz was leading the century pitching staff/elgie laeding minot in hrs (until state) not only are we not talking about football here we are talking about the best player almost everyone who plays sports is athletic wentz and elgie started varsity qb in football for their respected schools so seriously not worth trying to argue
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:17 am

I only saw Mandan play a couple of times and Pleten was in at LB by the second series and then played the rest of the game. 

I do agree that he is not in the same category as Algie but mentionaing one guy from Mandan isn't too out of line.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby sports-38 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 pm

Saucesauer, im making this post so i dont have to listen to you talk about how bad i am and saying im bad for playing JV as a freshman. I will admit i am not even as close to as good as Elgie or Wentz. They are great athletes and they deserve their respect. I would like to thank whoever my boy is from Mandan, haha, but lets be realistic and not fight about who is better than them 2, because i cant name aneone that is physically or mentally better, they are the ones who step up in crunch time, i would like to think of myself as a good athlete, but these 2 are beyond my level in baseball and football, there u go sauce!-

Steve Pletan

sports-38
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm

sports-38 wrote:Saucesauer, im making this post so i dont have to listen to you talk about how bad i am and saying im bad for playing JV as a freshman. I will admit i am not even as close to as good as Elgie or Wentz. They are great athletes and they deserve their respect. I would like to thank whoever my boy is from Mandan, haha, but lets be realistic and not fight about who is better than them 2, because i cant name aneone that is physically or mentally better, they are the ones who step up in crunch time, i would like to think of myself as a good athlete, but these 2 are beyond my level in baseball and football, there u go sauce!-

Steve Pletan

Now thank you but heres the just of it i was not entirly saying you werea bad athlete and i also thought last year was your sophmore year which is entirly my fault very sorry

and thats what i was trying to say for the age group these two fine young athletes are at they are phenoanal it is unbelivable what they have accomplished in their freshman years and to only think what else they can accomplish in the next 2-3
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby imahitfive » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:36 am

I watched zach wentz play against mandan last night and i have to say he didnt overly impress me like everyone said he would   I think steve pletan and jared quast both sophmores outplayed him  

I would also like to say that i think jared quast is going to be twice the pitcher wentz will ever be when they are seniors  quast has the potential to throw in the upper 80s he has a very strong arm
imahitfive
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:47 am

imahitfive wrote:I would also like to say that i think jared quast is going to be twice the pitcher wentz will ever be when they are seniors  quast has the potential to throw in the upper 80s he has a very strong arm

Are you serious??? 
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby imahitfive » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:53 am

yes im serious quast has much more wicked stuff and throws harder than wentz does
imahitfive
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:54 am

What a joke. 
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsioux » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:47 am

ahhh yeah sorry buddy but Wentz has 5 pitches that are absolutely filthy. He's not even throwing his slider this year I dont think and that was his best pitch last year. He's probably topped out velocity-wise though, because he won't grow anymore and with their coach running him out there for 100 some pitches per start, plus relief, that cant be good
ndsioux

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:48 am

not to mention he was comming off 2 days rest when he threw aginst minot
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 4for4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:54 am

Quast, throwing upper 80's? LOL he was throwing 60's last night when he came in relief of Pletan. If he's going to be throwing 80's in the next couple years, you might need to check him out for steroids. And as far as Wentz, he gave up a slash single and struck out 2 in the 7th inning with 2 runners on ( one of them being the game winning run), Wow that's absolutely terrible isn't it? Coming in to close the game being up by only one. Wentz pitched very well in that situation last night coming off 2 days rest.
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby KPuck34 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am

imahitfive wrote:I watched zach wentz play against mandan last night and i have to say he didnt overly impress me like everyone said he would   I think steve pletan and jared quast both sophmores outplayed him  

I would also like to say that i think jared quast is going to be twice the pitcher wentz will ever be when they are seniors  quast has the potential to throw in the upper 80s he has a very strong arm

I'm from Mandan and am absolutely embarrassed by imahitfive's comments (and the hideous display of baserunning the Braves put on yesterday).  This is obviously a kid who is sticking up for his buddies, hasn't watched much baseball, and is unable to objectively evaluate talent.  The Wentz kid from Century is a very talented individual with great potential.  It will be fun to watch him the next three years.  I just hope his coaches know the potentail of this amazing young player and don't ruin his arm by over-throwing him.

ndsioux: "He's probably topped out velocity-wise though, because he won't grow anymore" Have you ever heard of genetics and seen the size of wentz's dad?
KPuck34
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm also from Mandan and, as KPuck34 is, very embarrassed that someone from our team "imahitfive"(pretty sure i know who it is) would embarrass our team by making those types of comments on this site.  There is no doubt from last year and so far this year that Wentz has proven himself to be one of the best along with Elgie.  Quast and Pletan are talented baseball players, but you can not include them with those 2 until they have accomplished what they(wentz and elgie) have accomplished.  Its one thing to give your boys a shoutout, but to criticise someone who has proven themselve already to be a huge talent is just wrong. 

KPuck34:"I'm from Mandan and am absolutely embarrassed by imahitfive's comments (and the hideous display of baserunning the Braves put on yesterday)."  We have a lot of things to work on and baserunning is a huge one of those.  Yes, i am ashamed of how we ran the bases yesterday, but a lot of that comes from inexperience.  It is all a learning experience and we learned yesterday that that is something that we need to work on.  We made a lot of baserunning mistakes that may have cost us the game, but Century also made a lot of them too which could have kept us out of the game.
Last edited by baseball4 on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball4

Postby KPuck34 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:45 pm

That is correct, neither team (Century or Mandan) put on a clinic on proper baserunning technique yesterday.  I guess I notice our mistakes more than other teams.
KPuck34
NDPreps Starter

Postby imahitfive » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:45 pm

i didnt say that wentz wasnt a good pitcher which i know he is what i was trying to say is that quast and pletan out hit wentz not outpitch him
imahitfive
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:47 pm

Same here.  It was really hard to watch some of our guys make those mistakes yesterday, because i know we are better than that.
baseball4

Postby KPuck34 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:51 pm

imahitfive wrote:i didnt say that wentz wasnt a good pitcher which i know he is what i was trying to say is that quast and pletan out hit wentz not outpitch him

[user=586]imahitfive[/user] also wrote:

and [user=586]imahitfive[/user] also wrote this:
yes im serious quast has much more wicked stuff and throws harder than wentz does

imahitfive - your comments contradict each other.  I'm confused? 
KPuck34
NDPreps Starter

Postby imahitfive » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:53 pm

note that i said when they were seniors
imahitfive
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:09 pm

imahitfive wrote:note that i said when they were seniors

it does not matter wentz has the freshie year under his belt and not only that but does quast and pleatan play summer ball because i know wentz has had a lot of sucess in his summer ball career in my opinion if wentz gets as big as his dad and even if he dosent he will be a dominating power his senior year
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:19 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
imahitfive wrote:note that i said when they were seniors

it does not matter wentz has the freshie year under his belt and not only that but does quast and pleatan play summer ball because i know wentz has had a lot of sucess in his summer ball career in my opinion if wentz gets as big as his dad and even if he dosent he will be a dominating power his senior year

Yes Quast and Pletan summer ball...for the legion team.  Wentz was good enough to play for the Govs last year, so of course he would dominate in Babe Ruth.  I dont think it was his experience he gained in the summer any more than just pure raw talent.
baseball4

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:26 pm

i agree with you 100% baseball but i think this yer he will mak the govs
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sports-38 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:44 pm

yeah, Wentz better make the Govs this year,or something is wrong
sports-38
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:22 pm

I'm sure he'll play, and play a lot.  After this coming summer.....look out next year.
baseball4

Postby UNDBaseball » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:47 am

There are a lot of guys that are on honors and were held back a year...I know plenty of people who graduated when they were 19 with a 4.0 and a lot of times parents hold there kids back so they can get bigger and stronger for sports...I'm not saying that he's not a gifted athlete or anything like that but i'm just saying that you don't have to be held back because your dumb
UNDBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:30 pm

Does the name Kyle Carr sound familiar when talking about people graduating when your 19? He's amazing, but still his parents held him back for sports. He'd still be amazing if he wasn't held back, but he gets a bigger edge from being older.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class A