Top pitchers from east and west

Re: Top pitchers from east and west

Postby gametime01 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:10 pm

you dont need to have a dominating fastball to be effective against wood bats. whoever can mix the best will be the best pitcher. control is everything.
gametime01

Postby Ace08 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:13 pm

gametime01 wrote:you dont need to have a dominating fastball to be effective against wood bats. whoever can mix the best will be the best pitcher. control is everything.

i agree and disagree... control will be a huge factor and so will mixing it up but a dominating fastball with wood bats will be very key having a dominating fastball to fall back on with a good curve and change will make you better than someone will a curve, change, and a fastball the speed of a normal change its still easy to drop a hit right over second or short with woods
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ace08 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

highheat wrote:if all youve got is a fastball, the other team is going to catch up sooner or later in the game if theyre any good.

what gametime was saying that to be effective you dont need a good fastball but i think that isnt true, wood bats or not. you will be more effective with a harder fastball
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Number7 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Ace08 wrote:
highheat wrote:if all youve got is a fastball, the other team is going to catch up sooner or later in the game if theyre any good.

what gametime was saying that to be effective you dont need a good fastball but i think that isnt true, wood bats or not. you will be more effective with a harder fastball

He never said you didnt need a good fastball, he said "dominating". He said control is everything. Which is essentially true because it doesnt matter how hard you throw if you cant throw strikes and you need some kind of off-speed to be truely effective against a good team.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby jkaiz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm

i'd say wentz, hausauer, laylock as top three... at least from the west not sure about returning east players... you might be able to throw elgie in there, depending on the day
jkaiz

Postby Ace08 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:56 am

jkaiz wrote:i'd say wentz, hausauer, laylock as top three... at least from the west not sure about returning east players... you might be able to throw elgie in there, depending on the day

what about this bollinger character that was mentioned previously?
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Riotmaker#9 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:02 pm

PondHockey14 wrote:Noriega and Kingsley will deliver a firey fastball of death for the next few years... these are 2 hot pitchers to look out for in the EDC

Watch out for Noriega. He has amazing stuff. I'm not afraid to say that he's in the top 3 pitchers in fargo.
"They call me Birdman Jr. I'm flyer than the rest. I'm trying to get a couple cool pigeons to the nest."
Riotmaker#9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wildcats » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Schutz? Noriega is and will be 100x the pitchter.
wildcats

Postby jkaiz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Ace08 wrote:
jkaiz wrote:i'd say wentz, hausauer, laylock as top three... at least from the west not sure about returning east players... you might be able to throw elgie in there, depending on the day

he would be my number 4 haha
jkaiz

Postby ND Z Scout » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 pm

Bollinger is a heck of a pitcher. He also is a great hitter if I remember correctly, wasn't he on the All West Region team last year? As for MLB scouts looking at him, not so sure about that but i could definetly see why. Big kid, left handed, if he can develop some good offspeed he could easily go somewhere.
ND Z Scout
NDPreps Reserve

Postby riders » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 am

Laylock is a heck of a pitcher. ive had the privledge to catch for him on severall occasions and he just doesnt miss his spot. he will be one of the state's toughest along with frenzel closing for DHS this year.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tbear » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm

ttime262 wrote:Fargo South will have the best pitching staff in the state with Rusch, Kingsely, Edland, Noriega

If I read/understood you correctly on another thread you didn't think Post 2 had a better option than to throw a pitcher with an ERA over 7, 2 wins and as many walks/hit batters as he had innings pitched in a State Legion Tourn elimination game. (wasn't Edland on that team?). If Edland wasn't a better option how can you say that he can help make South the best pitching staff in the state? As for Noriega he needs to prove himself in a game that counts before you can even include him in a comment like that (See EDC game Noriega came in against North and got rocked). Seems to me that when you were rippin on High Heat you were also saying that the rest of the Pitching staff (Edland included) weren't any good. Also when your rippin on Highheat remember the official scorer ruled the ball hit to left an ERROR and if you actually paid attention to the reaction of the left fielder after he dropped it even he thought he should have caught it. Also when you make the comment people had to get on base somehow you need to remember that in the same inning the ball was dropped there was ground ball that an infielder stayed back on, chose not to take the force at second and threw late to first. Hardly Highheats fault.
Closed circuit to High Heat - quit bantering back and forth with people like this who have never done anything and don't know what they are talking about. Your record in high school and Legion stands for itself.
Closed Circuit to Sports4lif3 - Jagim didn't take anyones spot it was given to him. Face it Ibach new that (after running everyone off) unless Post 2 got very LUCKY it didn't have a chance to win State this year. He played for 08 and 09 and with his POTENTIAL the experience Jagim got will probobly pay off the next few years. My guess is youre a Bomber player hoping to carry Jagims bags to the bus this year. Once again until youve done something quit rippin on people who have.
Tbear

Postby shs01240 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Tbear wrote:
ttime262 wrote:Fargo South will have the best pitching staff in the state with Rusch, Kingsely, Edland, Noriega

If I read/understood you correctly on another thread you didn't think Post 2 had a better option than to throw a pitcher with an ERA over 7, 2 wins and as many walks/hit batters as he had innings pitched in a State Legion Tourn elimination game. (wasn't Edland on that team?). If Edland wasn't a better option how can you say that he can help make South the best pitching staff in the state? As for Noriega he needs to prove himself in a game that counts before you can even include him in a comment like that (See EDC game Noriega came in against North and got rocked). Seems to me that when you were rippin on High Heat you were also saying that the rest of the Pitching staff (Edland included) weren't any good. Also when your rippin on Highheat remember the official scorer ruled the ball hit to left an ERROR and if you actually paid attention to the reaction of the left fielder after he dropped it even he thought he should have caught it. Also when you make the comment people had to get on base somehow you need to remember that in the same inning the ball was dropped there was ground ball that an infielder stayed back on, chose not to take the force at second and threw late to first. Hardly Highheats fault.
Closed circuit to High Heat - quit bantering back and forth with people like this who have never done anything and don't know what they are talking about. Your record in high school and Legion stands for itself.
Closed Circuit to Sports4lif3 - Jagim didn't take anyones spot it was given to him. Face it Ibach new that (after running everyone off) unless Post 2 got very LUCKY it didn't have a chance to win State this year. He played for 08 and 09 and with his POTENTIAL the experience Jagim got will probobly pay off the next few years. My guess is youre a Bomber player hoping to carry Jagims bags to the bus this year. Once again until youve done something quit rippin on people who have.

First off, good analysis of the Bismarck game. That ground ball is often overlooked, and I believe it had just as big of an impact on the outcome of that game as the missed "well hit pop fly" (call it what you want, it should've been caught).

On the other hand, I will not let you say that coach Ibach didn't coach to win a state title. He put on the field what he believed to be the best roster, with the best chance of winning a state title. You have a right to your opinion concerning the state tournament roster, but DO NOT question his desire to win a state championship.

Also, there absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to carry Eric Jagim's bags to the bus. He would greatly appreciate the act of kindness, as he will have his hands full carrying my bags as well...
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tbear » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:20 am

shs01240 wrote:
Tbear wrote:

First off, good analysis of the Bismarck game. That ground ball is often overlooked, and I believe it had just as big of an impact on the outcome of that game as the missed "well hit pop fly" (call it what you want, it should've been caught).

On the other hand, I will not let you say that coach Ibach didn't coach to win a state title. He put on the field what he believed to be the best roster, with the best chance of winning a state title. You have a right to your opinion concerning the state tournament roster, but DO NOT question his desire to win a state championship.

Also, there absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to carry Eric Jagim's bags to the bus. He would greatly appreciate the act of kindness, as he will have his hands full carrying my bags as well...

Never questioned his desire to win just the decision he made on who to start in the elimination game. I get that Jagim is your boy and he will be a very good player for the next few years but even you would have to admit that based on his performance during the year (mainly his inability to throw strikes early in the game and keep a team that didn't score alot from getting too far behind) that there might have been other options to start that game. There were a few pitchers, yourself included who had playoff/state tourn pitching experience that were probobly better options. As it turned out what happened during the season happened in the elimination game amd I don't know what the coaches saw that would have given them an idea that it would be different this time. Also since you always seem to defend his decisions please give me your insight as to why one week before the playoffs he would take his catcher (who had to use the whole season to learn the position) and move him to shortstop. At the same time he moves the kid who has played virtually every inning at short and moves him to second. Now you have two people who have played almost all of the season at a given spot playing out of position. Why???? Could it be that the kid who moved to short is the front runner to play there in 08 and was getting some experience?
Tbear

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:23 am

I feel that every single person on this site has to stop critizing coaches and their decisions, if coaching was easy everyone would do it but not everyone does insted you have whiney parents in the stands whose checkbooks cant get their kids on the field and you have stuff kids on the bench who think they are gods gift to baseball and than you have the hard working or talented players who in most cases but not always DESERVE or have EARNED their spot on the field!!! coaches are doing their jobs its wheather the kids have the desire to believe in themselves and their team all coachs do the same thing put out the BEST 9 they have and try to win bottem line!!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Saucesauer: I'm not trying to stir the pot with this post, but I'd like you to re-read Tbear's last post. I didn't see any criticism in that post, just asking questions and discussing the coach's decisions. Discussing decisions and asking questions is OK on this site. Being critical of those decisions is not.

Now, some of Tbear's earlier posts weren't kosher for this site - "running everyone else off". Tbear, keep those thoughts to yourself. You have to understand that when you make goofy statements like that you lose credibility and just make people mad. Then when you ask solid questions like in your last post, people are just mad at you and think you are being critical.

Saucesauer, I get exactly what you are saying about coaching. Very good point. I've walked that line and at times it is no fun.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby shs01240 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:14 pm

Tbear wrote:
shs01240 wrote:
Tbear wrote:

Never questioned his desire to win just the decision he made on who to start in the elimination game. I get that Jagim is your boy and he will be a very good player for the next few years but even you would have to admit that based on his performance during the year (mainly his inability to throw strikes early in the game and keep a team that didn't score alot from getting too far behind) that there might have been other options to start that game. There were a few pitchers, yourself included who had playoff/state tourn pitching experience that were probobly better options. As it turned out what happened during the season happened in the elimination game amd I don't know what the coaches saw that would have given them an idea that it would be different this time. Also since you always seem to defend his decisions please give me your insight as to why one week before the playoffs he would take his catcher (who had to use the whole season to learn the position) and move him to shortstop. At the same time he moves the kid who has played virtually every inning at short and moves him to second. Now you have two people who have played almost all of the season at a given spot playing out of position. Why???? Could it be that the kid who moved to short is the front runner to play there in 08 and was getting some experience?

You''re right. Jagim is my boy and his legion performance definitely did not represent the high school season he had. Everyone was waiting for him to perform at the same level and it seemed like he had finally figured everything out in his last regular season start against Jamestown. I'm pretty sure that last start had most Post 2 followers optimistic about the Williston game.

I'm not gonna lie, I wanted that game ball. Going into that game though, I kept my mouth shut, supported the decision, and will always support that decision. Keep in mind that hindsight is 20/20.

As for the shifting of infielders, I'm pretty sure it was an opportunity to get Sheldon experience at SS for this upcoming season. You make it sound like it was the first time Post 2 used this alignment. In fact, that infield set-up had first been implemented at the Gopher Classic, midway through the season. I agree that it was used to get experience for younger players during the regular season, I disagree that during the state tournament it was used as an opportunity to gain experience, rather, it was the lineup that Coach Ibach thought would give Post 2 the best opportunity to win the game.

Now, you asked for my personal opinion on the "shift". When it was first implemented, it was used as a way to give sheldon a break from catching,to shore up some offensive production problems we were having with our 2nd basemen (not to say that lack of production didn't manifest itself in new catcher), and to give sheldon varsity experience at SS. I respect the reasoning behind the decision, but disagree with it being implemented during a state tournament (don't get me wrong though, there were far greater contributing factors to the Williston loss than that shift), but as a player and teammate for Post 2, I supported that decision and would support its implementation again.

I don't make the decisions, I simply make the best of whatever decision is presented to me as a teammate and player.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 pm

You are wise beyond your years, shs01240.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby allyooper23 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Jensen, zitzow from Valley City?
allyooper23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:04 am

shs01240 wrote:
Tbear wrote:
shs01240 wrote:
Tbear wrote:

You''re right. Jagim is my boy and his legion performance definitely did not represent the high school season he had. Everyone was waiting for him to perform at the same level and it seemed like he had finally figured everything out in his last regular season start against Jamestown. I'm pretty sure that last start had most Post 2 followers optimistic about the Williston game.

I'm not gonna lie, I wanted that game ball. Going into that game though, I kept my mouth shut, supported the decision, and will always support that decision. Keep in mind that hindsight is 20/20.

As for the shifting of infielders, I'm pretty sure it was an opportunity to get Sheldon experience at SS for this upcoming season. You make it sound like it was the first time Post 2 used this alignment. In fact, that infield set-up had first been implemented at the Gopher Classic, midway through the season. I agree that it was used to get experience for younger players during the regular season, I disagree that during the state tournament it was used as an opportunity to gain experience, rather, it was the lineup that Coach Ibach thought would give Post 2 the best opportunity to win the game.

Now, you asked for my personal opinion on the "shift". When it was first implemented, it was used as a way to give sheldon a break from catching,to shore up some offensive production problems we were having with our 2nd basemen (not to say that lack of production didn't manifest itself in new catcher), and to give sheldon varsity experience at SS. I respect the reasoning behind the decision, but disagree with it being implemented during a state tournament (don't get me wrong though, there were far greater contributing factors to the Williston loss than that shift), but as a player and teammate for Post 2, I supported that decision and would support its implementation again.

I don't make the decisions, I simply make the best of whatever decision is presented to me as a teammate and player.

Good for you!!! that is one of the most respectable posts i have seen in awhile!!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby smart source » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:14 pm

jkaiz wrote:
Ace08 wrote:

bollinger should easily be 1 or 2 he was getting scouted by the red sox last year, he just got a letter from oregon state, and he got an invite to go pitch infront on kansas city royals scouts....as a sophomore he was clocked at 88, he is left handed, and i guarentee he has the best changeup in the state bar none
smart source

Postby HeHateMe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm

smart source wrote:
jkaiz wrote:
Ace08 wrote:

bollinger should easily be 1 or 2 he was getting scouted by the red sox last year, he just got a letter from oregon state, and he got an invite to go pitch infront on kansas city royals scouts....as a sophomore he was clocked at 88, he is left handed, and i guarentee he has the best changeup in the state bar none

Hmmm I dont think he threw 88 against me ever? maybe they clocked him on a good day?
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Z Scout » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:44 pm

haha i'm not gunna lie the kid throws hard, but 88?! You could have at least gave more of a reasonably speed than that. I believe Zach Wentz from Century got clocked at 84 or 85 and I'm almost certain he throws harder than Bollinger. Bollinger will be a dominating pitcher this year that is for sure though.
ND Z Scout
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 pm

smart source wrote:
jkaiz wrote:
Ace08 wrote:

are you his agent already or what? i watched the kid pitch all year last year. i could see 88 maybe once or twice, but hes not quite there yet. reminds me of hennesey from williston, just not on that level yet. give it time
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ace08 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:22 am

i_see_it_all wrote:
smart source wrote:
jkaiz wrote:
Ace08 wrote:

are you his agent already or what? i watched the kid pitch all year last year. i could see 88 maybe once or twice, but hes not quite there yet. reminds me of hennesey from williston, just not on that level yet. give it time

i heard larson from north got clocked and was consistently hitting 88 at state so larson could easily be 1 or 2 as well this year
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Class A