Fargo Legion to form "B" team

Fargo Legion to form "B" team

Postby Willy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Figured this deserved its own new topic. As for Fargo adding a second team, they only got it half right. Yes they need a second team, but it should have been treated as an equal. Where will the pride be for those players competing against class B teams or GF and Fargo's 15 year-olds? Fargo is plenty big to support two top teams. The inner-city competition alone would rival high school rivalries.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Fargo Legion to form "B" team

Postby Ace08 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 am

They dont have enough people to form to legion teams. Even if they did they couldnt divide them equally so what would be the point? Get the best players on the top team. They only choose from south, shanely, and north players. there is no way they can have 36 solid varsity players.
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby shs01240 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I thoroughly despise this idea
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wildcats » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 pm

This is a horrible idea. Kids of this age group already have the opportunity to play ball in the summer. That is what senior babe ruth is for. This is just a feel good squad, so no one feels bad about being cut. There probably won't even be enough kids coming out to field the second team. Bad idea and it should be scratched now.
wildcats

Postby b-baller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Looks like those who made this decision were trying to appease both sides, those that wanted a second legion team and those that didn't want to degrade the talent on the main squad. Both sides lose, what a horrible choice. What are they going to call the new team? How about the "Big Bombers" to go along with the "Baby Bombers."
Last edited by b-baller on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
b-baller

Postby Willy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:50 pm

highheat wrote: they did this because kids that were cut when they were 17 would go play for other legion teams other than senior babe. as soon as those kids go to a different team they tend to stay with that one because they know theyre going to make it there. they also lose kids to senior babe but some of those losses are for other reasons that i dont feel should be talked about on a public forum. in the last few years they have had some big losses due to this reason that wouldve made the post 2 team much better.

Sounds like creating a second "A" team would solve all those problems. What they did will solve none of them.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:55 pm

Is this team going to be made up of any of the younger kids? If it is, it will hurt the Bombers who are usually a very good team. And who will be the coach of this B team.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 am

would this team be like what minot has with the metros? if so, i dont see it being too bad of an idea
baseball1981

Postby Riotmaker#9 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 am

The reason for the B team is because the varsity Post 2 team has lots of young players who are coming back from college to play again on the team. This years Bombers team had lots of player that were too old to play Bombers again. most of these players are very talented and they don't want to lose those players.
"They call me Birdman Jr. I'm flyer than the rest. I'm trying to get a couple cool pigeons to the nest."
Riotmaker#9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wildcats » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 pm

I still think this is a joke. I don't know if I would call those players "very talented". May be a pretty big stretch. People just not wanting to hurt peoples feelings.
wildcats

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:26 am

To have a seperate legion team in town a different legion post would have to sponsor it i believe. Post 2 cant sponsor differing class A teams. Is there even another legion post in Fargo? On top of that it would take ALOT more money to fund another Class A team incomparison to this 17 year old team. I would guess they will not be traveling to places like Omaha and the Gopher classic and making extended stay trips out west. Those expenses would be necessary for a second Class A team. It makes sense that they dont want to lose players though that could contribute the following year. They would have control over there development as players. Much more structured then senior babe.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Willy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:01 am

InTheKnow wrote:To have a seperate legion team in town a different legion post would have to sponsor it i believe. Post 2 cant sponsor differing class A teams. Is there even another legion post in Fargo? On top of that it would take ALOT more money to fund another Class A team incomparison to this 17 year old team. I would guess they will not be traveling to places like Omaha and the Gopher classic and making extended stay trips out west. Those expenses would be necessary for a second Class A team. It makes sense that they dont want to lose players though that could contribute the following year. They would have control over there development as players. Much more structured then senior babe.

THAT IS NOT CORRECT. SIOUX FALLS POST 15 SPONSORS TWO TEAMS, SIOUX FALLS EAST AND SIOUX FALLS WEST.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 am

highheat wrote:lots of players coming back from college? sand and hirchert more than likely because theyre playing college ball, possibly lee, cant remember if he decided to go out for the msum team or not. i dont think 3 constitutes "a lot".

Hirchert doesnt play at Jamestown?
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:54 am

highheat wrote:
Willy wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:To have a seperate legion team in town a different legion post would have to sponsor it i believe. Post 2 cant sponsor differing class A teams. Is there even another legion post in Fargo? On top of that it would take ALOT more money to fund another Class A team incomparison to this 17 year old team. I would guess they will not be traveling to places like Omaha and the Gopher classic and making extended stay trips out west. Those expenses would be necessary for a second Class A team. It makes sense that they dont want to lose players though that could contribute the following year. They would have control over there development as players. Much more structured then senior babe.

THAT IS NOT CORRECT. SIOUX FALLS POST 15 SPONSORS TWO TEAMS, SIOUX FALLS EAST AND SIOUX FALLS WEST.

yeah, i know there are a dozen of cities in minnesota that have multiple teams and only one legion. st. cloud has three teams (silver stars, chutes, 76ers).

Keep in mind that this is going to be another B team.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Not true!! As a matter of fact most teams in our state are not sponsored by legions anymore at all. Jamestown for example was the Eagles...I know Grand Forks is the park district and blue line club. There just aren't legion clubs anymore thus there is no money to sponsor these teams.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 pm

highheat wrote:we're aware. what we are trying to say is that it and the bombers team need to be done away with and have two class a teams instead.

What?!?! BLASPHEMY!!! How dare you spit in the face of the Post 2 tradition!! Jerry and Rog are rollin over in their graves! Highheat...you of all people should know the power of keepin the post 2 tradition alive. :)

On a serious note, I really dislike the idea of two "A" teams in Fargo. Especially if they are split North and South. I think its great that we unite all the schools in the summer to make the most competitive team possible. I do have mixed emotions about the new 17 year old team. At first, I had the attitude that we were taking it too easy on the 17 year olds. It doesn't happen very often that 17 year olds who don't make the varsity, end up being good enough to play at 18.

Post 2 is in a unique situation this year, as they have the 3, possibly 4, players coming back from college for their last year, combined with a BUNCH of seniors in high school who have only 1 more summer of eligibility left. Imagine how the roster would look if you eliminated 3 total age groups (college returners, sr's in their final year, 17 year olds cut with no where to go). In this situation, the new team makes sense as it keeps those 17 year olds in the program, with quality coaches who are willing to coach for free (wayne bradley and jesse radloff). It makes sense this year, but down the road I think we may find that the team will become unnecessary.

p.s. I do know that jerry is still alive, and probably kickin it in AZ or some other place way warmer than Fargo. It just made for a good opening. :D
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ace08 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:29 am

Riotmaker#9 wrote:The reason for the B team is because the varsity Post 2 team has lots of young players who are coming back from college to play again on the team. This years Bombers team had lots of player that were too old to play Bombers again. most of these players are very talented and they don't want to lose those players.

post 2 has lots of players coming back from college? where are you getting your info from? i can think of 3 who could come back and play, hirchert, sand, lee. there is a chance that they might not come back so the 17 year old team has nothing to do with those 3 maybe coming back from college
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby JR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 am

Ace08 wrote:post 2 has lots of players coming back from college? where are you getting your info from? i can think of 3 who could come back and play, hirchert, sand, lee. there is a chance that they might not come back so the 17 year old team has nothing to do with those 3 maybe coming back from college

The seventeen year old team actually does have something to do with those 3-4 players coming back. With those 3-4 players you lose 3-4 more spots on the Post 2 team and most of the people you lose in fargo were contributors to the varsity programs of their respected school. So they have talent they just do not have enough spots to go around
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Postby Willy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 am

Yes Post 2 has a lot of tradition, but the time has come to create another A Team, for fairnes to smaller class A cities but more importantly to the kids in Fargo who don't get a chance to compete at the top level. Fargo, you should be proud you are growing, but along with growing comes growing pains. Isn't Fargo considering a 3rd public high school? Should those plans be canceled so North and South High Schools can have stronger athletic teams?

With two "A" teams, Post 2 tradition would stay alive, with twice as many players sharing in that tradition.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 am

Willy wrote:Yes Post 2 has a lot of tradition, but the time has come to create another A Team, for fairnes to smaller class A cities but more importantly to the kids in Fargo who don't get a chance to compete at the top level. Fargo, you should be proud you are growing, but along with growing comes growing pains. Isn't Fargo considering a 3rd public high school? Should those plans be canceled so North and South High Schools can have stronger athletic teams?

With two "A" teams, Post 2 tradition would stay alive, with twice as many players sharing in that tradition.
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Willy wrote:Yes Post 2 has a lot of tradition, but the time has come to create another A Team, for fairnes to smaller class A cities but more importantly to the kids in Fargo who don't get a chance to compete at the top level. Fargo, you should be proud you are growing, but along with growing comes growing pains. Isn't Fargo considering a 3rd public high school? Should those plans be canceled so North and South High Schools can have stronger athletic teams?

Yes, but you have to understand what the Post 2 tradition really is. It isn't just being competitive in North Dakota baseball, it's dominating North Dakota baseball. Post 2 baseball isn't about making everyone feel good, it's about assembling the best baseball team possible that will be competitive at a REGIONAL tournament. There is never an acceptable excuse in Fargo when Post 2 doesn't win the state championship. The fact that they have won only 1 state title in the last 10-15 years is unacceptable.

If you can't make it in Fargo, go play in Moorhead.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 pm

I agree with shs you should not have two teams in fargo right now... maybe in the future but right now there is not enough kids to field two highly competitive teams. Fargo baseball is all about competition.. they compete in the highest level tournaments and against the highest level teams and until there is enought kids to do that with two teams there should not be two teams. I am not by any means saying that Post 2 are the gods of baseball because we have seen in recent years teams come up from behind and are starting to beat Post 2. I think in class A now that valley has left every team has a chance now. The talent level is there on almost every team it is just the teams that make the most out of their talent that will come and beat the other teams
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ace08 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:28 pm

JR wrote:
Ace08 wrote:post 2 has lots of players coming back from college? where are you getting your info from? i can think of 3 who could come back and play, hirchert, sand, lee. there is a chance that they might not come back so the 17 year old team has nothing to do with those 3 maybe coming back from college

The seventeen year old team actually does have something to do with those 3-4 players coming back. With those 3-4 players you lose 3-4 more spots on the Post 2 team and most of the people you lose in fargo were contributors to the varsity programs of their respected school. So they have talent they just do not have enough spots to go around

well its not 4 players its 3, plus lee might not be coming back from what i've heard which would make two. i know that hirchert is for sure. they arent going to create another team because maybe 2 or 3 players is coming back. they are creating another team because everyone is so young, and there are that many kids who want to play
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ace08 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:30 pm

shs01240 wrote:

Yes, but you have to understand what the Post 2 tradition really is. It isn't just being competitive in North Dakota baseball, it's dominating North Dakota baseball. Post 2 baseball isn't about making everyone feel good, it's about assembling the best baseball team possible that will be competitive at a REGIONAL tournament. There is never an acceptable excuse in Fargo when Post 2 doesn't win the state championship. The fact that they have won only 1 state title in the last 10-15 years is unacceptable.

If you can't make it in Fargo, go play in Moorhead.

there shouldn't be two "A" teams because thats just stupid, they wouldnt really be two A teams and winning a state championship is more difficult then you make it seem shs. west teams can be playing outside longer then we can, and they have different coaching strategies for their fielders that the east should pick. plus they are all farm boys so they have a great deal of strength. you can say that its unacceptable that post 2 hasn't won many state ships
Ace08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wildcats » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:53 pm

I agree with shs. It is unacceptable that Post 2 hasn't won more ships lately. With the numbers they have to choose from and the talent they have had lately there should be five more championship banners hanging on their fence.
wildcats

Next

Return to Class A