2008 ND LEGION - east/west combined

2008 ND LEGION - east/west combined

Postby b-baller » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 am

It appears ND Legion Baseball will combine east and west this summer into one league with the loss of Valley City. Should make it more interesting, will western teams finish 1-2-3?
b-baller

Re: 2008 ND LEGION - east/west combined

Postby Willy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:25 pm

highheat wrote:i thought i saw in the forum today that fargo is adding another legion team. they could be taking valley city's spot in the east and that would allow for the system to stay the way it is. i personally think they should lose the two division setup though. i think it would fuel more competition across the state and create some cross state rivalries if those games counted towards standings.

It doesn't appear that is the plan according to Forum story: The Fargo American Legion Baseball Committee approved a plan to sponsor a new 17-and-under team to be composed of players who are too old for the Bombers and don’t make the Fargo Post 2 team. Players who have not turned 18 by Jan. 1, 2008, are eligible. The team will play a similar schedule to the Bombers and practice at Jack Williams Stadium.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:46 pm

b-baller wrote:It appears ND Legion Baseball will combine east and west this summer into one league with the loss of Valley City. Should make it more interesting, will western teams finish 1-2-3?

Yeah I see Dickinson, Minot, and Bismarck finishing 1-2-3. I think this will be better for Legion Baseball here.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Willy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 pm

You are right Ming, it would be a surprise if Fargo or Grand Forks crack the top three. A lot could depend on which players return or opt out on various teams.

As for Fargo adding a second team, they only got it half right. Yes they need a second team, but it should have been treated as an equal. Where will the pride be for those players competing against class B teams or GF and Fargo's 15 year-olds? Fargo is plenty big to support two top teams. The inner-city competition alone would rival high school rivalries.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:43 pm

So North Dakota Class "A" legion would be one-league with 11 teams (Dickinson, Williston, Minot, Bismarck, Mandan, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Grand Forks, Fargo, West Fargo, and Wahpeton)? Then would each team play each other in a home/home series throughout the year and would there be a regional tournament or just the top eight teams going to state?
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Strike3? » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Number7 wrote:So North Dakota Class "A" legion would be one-league with 11 teams (Dickinson, Williston, Minot, Bismarck, Mandan, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Grand Forks, Fargo, West Fargo, and Wahpeton)? Then would each team play each other in a home/home series throughout the year and would there be a regional tournament or just the top eight teams going to state?

I dont think their would be a home/home series for most east vs west games like....Bismarck will go to Grand forks one year and play 2 conf games then next year grand forks comes to bisarmck...im not to positive on that however.....for state tournament....the top 5 teams in the division will have their own tournament to place seedings at state and those top 5 teams all make it...the bottom 6 teams have their own tournament where the top 3 go to the state tournament.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:23 pm

Strike3? wrote:
Number7 wrote:So North Dakota Class "A" legion would be one-league with 11 teams (Dickinson, Williston, Minot, Bismarck, Mandan, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Grand Forks, Fargo, West Fargo, and Wahpeton)? Then would each team play each other in a home/home series throughout the year and would there be a regional tournament or just the top eight teams going to state?

I dont think their would be a home/home series for most east vs west games like....Bismarck will go to Grand forks one year and play 2 conf games then next year grand forks comes to bisarmck...im not to positive on that however.....for state tournament....the top 5 teams in the division will have their own tournament to place seedings at state and those top 5 teams all make it...the bottom 6 teams have their own tournament where the top 3 go to the state tournament.

Wow I would have never guessed that! But I do think it will truly find the best teams in North Dakota and send them to state. You wont have any more 1-win teams at the state tournament. Where did you get this info and do you know where the tourneys are scheduled for, if at all yet?
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Each team should play each other twice, one home and one away and have it like high school, still have double headers but one game would be in-conference the other non-conference.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Willy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 pm

http://www.bgovs.org has Bismarck's schedule. It looks like everyone plays each other either one doubleheader or two single games that count in league standings. Some teams will play more often but only two games count in standings. Divisional tournaments are in Jamestown and Williston, no explanation on how teams will be divided. State and Central Plains tournaments are in Minot.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Willy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Top 5 teams in the state from regular season go to State Tournament in Minot. Those teams will play a round robin tournament likely in Williston to determine seedings. Bottom six teams in the regualar season will hold a tournament likely in Jamestown to determine the last three entries in the state. Sounds like an excellent format and should get the best 8 teams in the state to the tournament. My top 5:

1. Minot
2. Dickinson
3. Grand Forks
4. Bismarck
5. Fargo

Williston, Mandan and Jamestown should advance to state in Minot.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Thu May 01, 2008 9:30 am

Willy wrote:Where will the pride be for those players competing against class B teams or GF and Fargo's 15 year-olds? Fargo is plenty big to support two top teams. The inner-city competition alone would rival high school rivalries.

where is the pride for any player from a class a town to play legion b? the pride is the fact that you are younger than almost all of the kids from the class b team that you are playing and actually giving them competition. younger kids playing legion b and having the oppertunity to do something, still on the state level is a big thing. a 'ship is a 'ship no matter legion a or legion b. dickinson had 3 sophs on the legion b team and the rest were freshmen last year and this year seems like it will be the same.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Willy » Thu May 01, 2008 7:18 pm

[/quote] where is the pride for any player from a class a town to play legion b? the pride is the fact that you are younger than almost all of the kids from the class b team that you are playing and actually giving them competition. younger kids playing legion b and having the oppertunity to do something, still on the state level is a big thing. a 'ship is a 'ship no matter legion a or legion b. dickinson had 3 sophs on the legion b team and the rest were freshmen last year and this year seems like it will be the same.[/quote]

What you say is true for the Fargo Bombers, the younger team. The Fargo B team or whatever they are going to call it is for 17-18 year olds who don't make the cut for the A team. That is why they need to establish two teams in Fargo geographically, like North and South to both compete at the highest level like other similarly sized cities have done. Sioux Falls would be a good example.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Willy wrote:
where is the pride for any player from a class a town to play legion b? the pride is the fact that you are younger than almost all of the kids from the class b team that you are playing and actually giving them competition. younger kids playing legion b and having the oppertunity to do something, still on the state level is a big thing. a 'ship is a 'ship no matter legion a or legion b. dickinson had 3 sophs on the legion b team and the rest were freshmen last year and this year seems like it will be the same.[/quote]

What you say is true for the Fargo Bombers, the younger team. The Fargo B team or whatever they are going to call it is for 17-18 year olds who don't make the cut for the A team. That is why they need to establish two teams in Fargo geographically, like North and South to both compete at the highest level like other similarly sized cities have done. Sioux Falls would be a good example.[/quote]

I remember saying this before, but Fargo's idea of "the highest level" is vastly different than yours. That is why Fargo should not and will not split the team. It doesn't matter how many teams are under Post 2, the aim of the program is still the same.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Olgrz » Thu May 01, 2008 8:35 pm

If I remember right the towns that have legion A teams, and then form a legion B team that plays in an actual league can't have anyone 17 or over on the B team. Am I right on this or is the Fargo B team going to just pick games up here or there and not play in a league?
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Willy » Fri May 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Here's your answer, direct from the Fargo Legion website: The Fargo American Legion Baseball Committee has approved plans for sponsorship of a 17-and-under team to go along with the Post #2 varsity and Bomber teams. This team will be made up of players who aren't eligible to play Bombers anymore and don't make the varsity team. Any player who hasn't turned 18 by January 1, 2008 is eligible to be a member of this team (in order to be Bomber team-eligible, a player must not have turned 17 by January 1, 2008). This team will play a schedule similar to the one that the Bombers play and will practice at Jack Williams with the other two teams. Players that are a part of this team are subject to the same obligations and commitments of any Fargo Legion player. This is a great opportunity for a player who is apprehensive about making the team - it has opened up new possibilities and a chance to play American Legion Baseball as a 17 year old and give players a chance to develop and move to the varsity level in the future.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Class A