Bismarck summer baseball & Summer baseball age rules

Postby exwestcoach » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Does anybody know if the legion and Babe Ruth age limits were changed. BR was age as of Jan01 of the given year. Legion was age as of Aug01 of given year. There was talk of settling on one age date for both of April01 of given year. Any input?

Also what are the general feelings regarding the influx of the 16 yr olds supposedly going to tryout for Govs, there are a handfull of good ones, I know there were 2-4 players from last years Gov's that could come back from college, are they?, who?, also how might this affect (the 16's skipping the Reps) some of the chances of the better 17's that played for the Reps last year? Will it? The 17's should be given a chance, granted there are some very talented 16's, maybe moreso than normal, given the fact that the age rule expanded some time back, where all kids picked up an extra year plus the fact that summer baseball is at least in my mind somewhat tougher than high school I suggest that for the most part the 16's play Reps this coming year, allow the 17's a fair chance this year, and when the 17's will be needed in 2007 they would be there with experience along with the 16's of 2006. The last thing I would want to see happen is a kid flounder as a 16 yr old Gov while he could be very successful on the Reps, these kids do not need to be pushed, there is quality now among the 17's, 18's, and 19's.

Is there even an issue here? What do the numbers indicate?

I hope this mess is understandable.      

exwestcoach

Postby dwenzel34 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:05 am

I believe that the Govs team should consist of 17,18, and 19 yr. olds. The 16 year olds should play for the Reps and would have a very solid team but if 16 yr. olds play goves they will probaly struggle a bit, but there are a couple 16 yr. olds that have the talent to play govs i believe.
dwenzel34

Postby 4for4 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:41 am

I believe the only 16 yr. old with a remote chance of playing govs is zach wentz, there is just as much, if not more talent in the 17 yr olds than the 16's. Yes the 16's went to the World Series, but that doesn't mean they are better than the upper class, the reps went to regionals and could have won that tournament if the bats would have been hot like they were in state, look for some of these kids to be on govs more so than the 16's, they are still too young and haven't had any legion experience, but I believe zach wentz is the only one from that team that has a chance of making govs, IMO.
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsioux » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:23 am

i agree with 4for4, yeah the 16s have some talent, but there's no way that those kids should pass up the wenzels, or some of the other 17 year olds. Those kids went to regionals when they were 15 and then this past summer, with some help from a couple of the 18 year olds. I think the 16's should play Reps first, rather than being thrown into the fire with the Govs because pretty much all of them except Wentz would have huge slumps and then their confidence would be shot
ndsioux

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:40 pm

The upcoming 16 year olds are not better then the 17's.  The only one that I think will make Gov's is Wentz.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saas25 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:33 pm

The players who can return from college are: Josh Standing Elk, Dan Eichele, and Timmy Jallen.  Josh Standing Elk and Timmy Jallen are for sure coming back and Eichele is questionable because he is playing football at Bemidji.  And regards to 16 yr olds playing govs, 3 played on the govs last summer and a few were moved up to play some games.  The players that were moved up didn't struggle at that level either and I don't see any problem with 16 year olds playing govs especially if they are good enough.
Last edited by Saas25 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:45 pm

That will really help with Jallen and Standing Elk coming back.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby exwestcoach » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 pm

I'm really more interested in the age thing.
exwestcoach

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:19 am

Not to down talk bismarck baseball but why would jallen come back he would be able to get so much more better compitition if he stayed in ariziona

or is he to old to play down there or does that matter
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Class A