Elgie Signs

Elgie Signs

Postby smart source » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Zac Elgie signed with the University of Kansas Jayhawks to play baseball just on the minot news
smart source

Re: Elgie Signs

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:32 pm

Congrats to the J hawks they got a quality athlete, maybe they can convince him to punt and kick on the FB team.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:18 pm

Good luck to Zac
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ahhhh » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Zac Elgie is a stud. He probably wont go to kansas because he has the Phillies,Red Soxs,White Soxs,Diamondbacks,Twins and Dodgers scouting him. He has already met with two of the teams scouts(Red Sox and Phillies) and many more who are setting up appointments to meet with Zac. I think if Zac gets drafted in the top 8 rounds he will indeed sign. His coach thinks he will get drafted in the range and so do the scouts.
ahhhh

Postby shs01240 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:56 pm

I think a lot of people will disagree with that statement, but either way its a win-win situation for Zach Elgie.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Who disagrees with that shs?????? The truth is I think most people would be suprised if he doesn't sign. His numbers speak for themself. Just curious why you are making that comment.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Money talks, and was the case with Shirek a few years back he decided to pass on the money when he had the opportunity, and now has nothing. I am sure if Elgie has the opportunity which I am sure he will. He will sign. As for the previous post signing this early has nothing to do with signing. They still have to have the draft and if he is drafted high enough he will turn pro. Right???? I am not a kid getting off talking about him like this..... :roll:
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:01 pm

OldSchool wrote:Who disagrees with that shs?????? The truth is I think most people would be suprised if he doesn't sign. His numbers speak for themself. Just curious why you are making that comment.

Well, in reading other threads about Elgie, a lot of people have been skeptical about how talented he really is. A lot of people do not think that Zach is even close to being drated talent-wise. I'm not completely convinced of his pro prospects, but i'm not a major league scout, so i'm in no position to comment on that. Believe it or not, a lot of people think Zach is extremely overrated. On the other hand, i think those people are extremely jealous.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:31 pm

shs01240 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:Who disagrees with that shs?????? The truth is I think most people would be suprised if he doesn't sign. His numbers speak for themself. Just curious why you are making that comment.

Well, in reading other threads about Elgie, a lot of people have been skeptical about how talented he really is. A lot of people do not think that Zach is even close to being drated talent-wise. I'm not completely convinced of his pro prospects, but i'm not a major league scout, so i'm in no position to comment on that. Believe it or not, a lot of people think Zach is extremely overrated. On the other hand, i think those people are extremely jealous.
i think zach is definatley a pro prospect, i just dont know about this year, i dont know if scouts are willing to risk taking a north dakota kid who hasnt faced a lot of tough pitching, not sayin he never has, and struggled with wood bats this spring...yes scouts are going to say he could get drafted, but i think it will be a long two days for zach in june waiting...and if he does get drafted, thats awesome, it would be good to see another north dakota kid get drafted, especialy out of high school, but i dont think he`ll sign if he gets drafted for teams wont risk it, honestly, i wish him best of luck the days of the draft and hope he can get to be one of the few nd kids that gets to be drafted, good luck to him
baseball1981

Postby smart source » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Congrats to the J hawks they got a quality athlete, maybe they can convince him to punt and kick on the FB team.

he actually told me he might try to punt for the football team
smart source

Postby Number7 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:50 pm

smart source wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:Congrats to the J hawks they got a quality athlete, maybe they can convince him to punt and kick on the FB team.

he actually told me he might try to punt for the football team

Darin Erstad version 2.0
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:37 pm

ahhhh wrote:Zac Elgie is a stud. He probably wont go to kansas because he has the Phillies,Red Soxs,White Soxs,Diamondbacks,Twins and Dodgers scouting him. He has already met with two of the teams scouts(Red Sox and Phillies) and many more who are setting up appointments to meet with Zac. I think if Zac gets drafted in the top 8 rounds he will indeed sign. His coach thinks he will get drafted in the range and so do the scouts.

I posted this in a different thread on the same topic...

My guess is he will be drafted by someone but not in the top 20 rounds. Only 5 tool players get drafted in the top 20 rounds out of high school. More polished college seniors are drafted between rounds 10-20 and the top prospects that are college juniors and major prospects out of high school and juco that can do it all not just hit with power. As far as the phone calls and meeting, that really doesnt mean anything especially this early. The reason I can say that is Jeremiah Piepkorn from NDSU was called by the Dodgers the morning of the draft day two his junior year and told he was being taken sometime before round 30. He wasnt drafted. So that is just one example of how the draft doesnt always go how the scout tells ya.

...One more to add that I forgot to post before. Neil Wagner at NDSU met with the Padres Scouting coordinator and was told by him in March of that year face to face he was projected to be picked by them in the second round if he was available. He wasnt drafted until the 22nd round or something like that by Cleveland.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:40 pm

highheat wrote:he wouldnt have commited to kansas this early if he was planning on being drafted. do all these kids get off talking about him like this?

His signing early has nothing to do with the draft. Alex Rodriguez signed early with Miami and everyone knew he was going first round. That is standard.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndsioux » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:10 pm

Only 5 tool players get drafted in the top 20 rounds out of high school

I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You only need to look at the 3rd overall pick of the 2007 draft to realize that's incorrect.
ndsioux

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:23 pm

ndsioux wrote:
Only 5 tool players get drafted in the top 20 rounds out of high school

I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You only need to look at the 3rd overall pick of the 2007 draft to realize that's incorrect.

Have you seen Vitters play so you can make that judgement? From reading the draft scouting report it sounds like he is a much above average hitter from southern California. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... mc=vitters High school baseball in southern California and ND are not even comparable. The level of pitching that he would face down there on a daily basis is off the chart compared to north dakota. NDSU's #1 pitcher 3 years ago was a guy from Redlands, California. Threw 92-94. He was not even in his high school teams rotation and was a spot relief pitcher. Every starting pitcher from his team went to the PAC 10 as starters or was drafted high and signed. To even compare Elgie to the #3 pick in the draft is laughable. When they say his defense is not as good as his bat it stil grades to at least major league average while his hitting is probably graded to above average for power and contact. Elgie would be around a 30 on a scouts scale for defensive ability and his agility and running about the same. He would grade out alright for his hitting but his arm would be below average as well. So on a MAJOR LEAGUE scale Elgie is a two tool player with workable other tools. Definately draftable in the late rounds.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:38 am

guys....smell the roses, elgie is a two tool player at best now, when he throws the ball accross the diamond or to 2nd when hes catching it looks like he's tossin up fresh pepporoni pizzas, essentially he has a muffin for an arm, grab a brain guys, he's not gettin drafted in the top 35 rounds...he's going to kansas (19-35)
baseball1981

Postby ndsioux » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Have you seen Vitters play so you can make that judgement? From reading the draft scouting report it sounds like he is a much above average hitter from southern California. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... mc=vitters High school baseball in southern California and ND are not even comparable. The level of pitching that he would face down there on a daily basis is off the chart compared to north dakota. NDSU's #1 pitcher 3 years ago was a guy from Redlands, California. Threw 92-94. He was not even in his high school teams rotation and was a spot relief pitcher. Every starting pitcher from his team went to the PAC 10 as starters or was drafted high and signed. To even compare Elgie to the #3 pick in the draft is laughable. When they say his defense is not as good as his bat it stil grades to at least major league average while his hitting is probably graded to above average for power and contact. Elgie would be around a 30 on a scouts scale for defensive ability and his agility and running about the same. He would grade out alright for his hitting but his arm would be below average as well. So on a MAJOR LEAGUE scale Elgie is a two tool player with workable other tools. Definately draftable in the late rounds.

I never said I was comparing Elgie to the #3 overall pick, I was merely stating the fact that you don't need to be a 5 tool player to get drafted early. And yes I have seen Vitters play. He's a one or two tool guy.
ndsioux

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:24 am

nonethless, congrats to mr. elgie! its nice to see my minot boys doing well!!
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby Minot Stunna » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am

guys....smell the roses, elgie is a two tool player at best now, when he throws the ball accross the diamond or to 2nd when hes catching it looks like he's tossin up fresh pepporoni pizzas, essentially he has a muffin for an arm, grab a brain guys, he's not gettin drafted in the top 35 rounds...he's going to kansas (19-35)

OK fella what is your deal. You are so quick to jump on a player no matter what his abilities are. You try and make yourself sound like you have been scouting for 50 years. First of all, he actually has a pretty good arm. He has a good enough arm to play first base. Absolutely horrible comparison in Zacs throwing, " he's tossin up fresh pepperoni pizzas, essentially he has a muffin for an arm," wow that was pathetic. And please tell me what is wrong with Kansas? It may not be the best baseball school, but did you ever think that maybe financially that was best for him? Or maybe he is a great student that wants to go to a school and get a good education? Grab a brain? What does that honestly mean? Just because you aren't going to get drafted in the top 35 rounds doesn't mean he can't, grab a brain baseball1981, stop ragging on Elgie.
Minot Stunna
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:00 am

That's just one guys opinion, I'd take it for what it's worth.. Elgie is an outstanding player and I think everyone wishes him luck at Kansas.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby KnowDak » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:21 pm

You're delusional.

baseball1981 wrote:guys....smell the roses, elgie is a two tool player at best now, when he throws the ball accross the diamond or to 2nd when hes catching it looks like he's tossin up fresh pepporoni pizzas, essentially he has a muffin for an arm, grab a brain guys, he's not gettin drafted in the top 35 rounds...he's going to kansas (19-35)
KnowDak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:38 pm

KnowDak wrote:You're delusional.

baseball1981 wrote:guys....smell the roses, elgie is a two tool player at best now, when he throws the ball accross the diamond or to 2nd when hes catching it looks like he's tossin up fresh pepporoni pizzas, essentially he has a muffin for an arm, grab a brain guys, he's not gettin drafted in the top 35 rounds...he's going to kansas (19-35)

nah hes right, Kansas or Iowa Western Community College? I guess i would take the Big XII....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby smart source » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:47 pm

highheat wrote:
Minot Stunna wrote: First of all, he actually has a pretty good arm. He has a good enough arm to play first base.

dont really need a good arm to play first base so im not sure where you were going with that.

ill give zac this, athletically, he has it all there to be a great college player. he is going to need to fine tune all his skills though if he wants to be great at the next level. he has proven that he can do well against other players of his own skill level (legion regional tournament), but nobody knows how he is going to fare against players that are legitimately better than him. (hopefully his little fan club he has here doesnt get to hurt by me saying that.)

you do know that minot lost by 2 runs to the team that took second at nationals and minot didnt have lundy and eden prairie had a by in the first round so minot go stuck against the ace of eden prairie who actually ended up being the american legion national tournement mvp...and you do know that elgie hit 2 homeruns in that game...and you do know elgie hit like 6 in that tournement so id say that elgie is just as good as the majority of guys going to college
smart source

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:45 pm

highheat wrote:
smart source wrote:you do know that minot lost by 2 runs to the team that took second at nationals and minot didnt have lundy and eden prairie had a by in the first round so minot go stuck against the ace of eden prairie who actually ended up being the american legion national tournement mvp...and you do know that elgie hit 2 homeruns in that game...and you do know elgie hit like 6 in that tournement so id say that elgie is just as good as the majority of guys going to college

i think you misinterpreted what i was saying. i said he could do fine against other players of his own skill level (players going to college). i was getting at that he needs to fine tune everything from top down to be successful at the next step. and i know all you minot fanboys are going to be butt hurt that i said your phenom is going to need to improve to compete at the next level. deal with it, its my opinion.
and i agree with you
baseball1981

Postby baseball » Sun May 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Elgie went 2-5 with a grand slam and 6 RBI in the NCAA tourney win yesterday. beat Dartmouth 16-0.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Class A