Fargo
9%
Jamestown
14%
West Fargo
9%

Total votes : 44

Postby baseball fan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 am

I am from the east and yes I will admit the west teams are definetally better this year....the returning college players set them apart this year so my hats off to the west....but in sports everything seems to rotate the strength as Fargo won state a few years ago and so on..
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Willy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:46 am

i_see_it_all wrote:[user=627]Willy[/user] wrote:
Schroeder vs Potter in round one could be the pitching matchup of the tournament.  Should be a low scoring game decided in the late innings.  Could they both throw nine?  or, maybe Dicky will save Schroeder for the second game, seems that would be the only chance they would have against Williston.
dickinson pounded potter for 6 runs in the 5 innings he threw, schroeder dominated GF.

dickinson then takes down williston 8-5 WITHOUT schroeder on the hill

willy, you sure know your baseball.......free lesson for ya, dont bet against the riders. 
I stuck my neck out and made a prediction.  Potter and Schroeder are both very good pitchers, and I wouldn't hesitate to make that prediction again. 
Sounds like you are making a prediction that Dicky is gonna win this tournament.  Is that a call?   By the way my money is on Minot.
Last edited by Willy on Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball_05 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:53 am

I'm with Willy on this one....pretty sure nobody wants to play Minot at this point.
baseball_05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jefferson Clark » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:44 pm

i know im a bit early but dont count your chickens before they hatch
Jefferson Clark

Postby ND Football Guy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Scores from today :

Winners bracket

Minot 3, Dickinson 1

Loser-out Games

Williston 7, Fargo 4

Bismarck 14, Jamestown 4   (7 innings)

Tomorrow (Saturday)

1 pm - Dickinson vs. Bismarck

4 pm - Minot vs. Williston

ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby i_see_it_all » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:44 am

Willy wrote:
i_see_it_all wrote:[user=627]Willy[/user] wrote:
Sounds like you are making a prediction that Dicky is gonna win this tournament.  Is that a call?   By the way my money is on Minot.

if you check out my previous post, i said id like to take dickinson, but larson has ran the table too many times for me to bet against minot. 
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic715 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:23 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:kyle schroeder and cole frenzel might be the best pitcher and player in the state, respectively.....these two simply carry their team in big games.

minot looked darn good to, that HR elgie hit was crushed.  once again, not impressed one bit with east baseball.....

Well u might be right about Schroeder. Frenzel is good , very good, but no one is as good as Elgie, future major leaguer? Its not to farfetched.
magic715

Postby highheat » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:13 pm

magic715 wrote:
i_see_it_all wrote:kyle schroeder and cole frenzel might be the best pitcher and player in the state, respectively.....these two simply carry their team in big games.

minot looked darn good to, that HR elgie hit was crushed.  once again, not impressed one bit with east baseball.....

Well u might be right about Schroeder. Frenzel is good , very good, but no one is as good as Elgie, future major leaguer? Its not to farfetched.

not once in the entire state tournament did elgie hit an offspeed pitch hard. if he wants to get to the bigs, he needs to work on that.
highheat

Postby Strike3? » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:28 pm

highheat wrote:
magic715 wrote:

not once in the entire state tournament did elgie hit an offspeed pitch hard. if he wants to get to the bigs, he needs to work on that.

I watched the game against Williston and Elgie hit a low curveball ( im almost positive it was a curveball )over left center into the trees for a home run.
Last edited by Strike3? on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:40 pm

i think its still to early to tell on zach.  he's done his job against the poor north dakota pitching (with the exception of a couple guys) but thats not his fault.  i will agree he looked bad on some curveballs in the games i watched, and his plate discipline isnt all that great.   but then again im comparing him to the best kids out there.  he's so strong he can get fooled and still hit the ball over the fence.

future major leaguer?? we are in north dakota, there are 1,000 other first baseman in the country that hit the ball like he can.  if he works hard behind the dish and develops into a solid catcher he could go a lot farther in my opinion.

i just think frenzel has more tools and room for improvement than elgie. he moves pretty well for his age, plays SS for his team, is left handed, has a great arm and a beautiful swing. he also needs to get better in a lot of areas, i just really like him as an overall baseball player.  

i suppose only time will tell with these two.  congrats to minot for winning state, i enjoyed watching them throughout the tournament.....my hat goes off to them along with their head coach todd larson.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:26 pm

heres what you have to look at sure he can hit the ball far with aluminum but what about wood? how many pro teams use aluminum? because i believe in high school he didnt stick out i think he had 1 hr which i dont even led his team now sure he is good but dont forget about all the hype that lundy got and what round was he picked in? was he even picked?!? How long did it take for sherick (sp?) to just get drafted give him a year or 2 of college and we will see.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball_05 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:03 pm

First of all, it didnt take Charlie Shirek very long at all. He just signed with the White Sox 2 days ago and is headed off to A ball soon.

Secondly, you have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about Elgie. Yes, he WILL be drafted, and dont be surprised if it is in the top 10 rounds next year. He has 29 HR's on the year....REGARDLESS of what state you are in that is phenomenal. I wouldnt doubt it if he is close to having more than almost everyone in the country. Who cares if he is from ND or not, if you can play, the Bigs dont care where you come from. All those scouts at the state tourney...there to watch him, not any Dickinson player.

Coste, Helling, Hafner, Erstad, MARIS!!! - All from ND...I'm sure they didnt get looked at because they were from ND, right?
baseball_05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:18 pm

dude 29 HRs sweet lundy had like 25 and didnt even get a sniff in the draft how many years has scherick been out of high school? how many did liffrig have last year he ended with 103 rbis how many bombs and dude frenzel had more home runs with a wood than elgie so dont over hype your boy
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball_05 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:27 pm

I dont need to overhype him fella, he is the real deal. 29 HR's, 106 RBI...as of NOW. He WILL be drafted, sometime, in some round, depending on what he plans to do for college.

Also, Lundy has been offered D1 scholarships already which is a step in the right direction, and he played in the JC All-Star game.

I'm not saying Elgie is the best baseball player ever, the statement before was...who would you rather have...Elgie or Frenzel. My answer is Elgie, he is more dominant and will make the most difference, wood bat or not.

Liffrig, also a great player, probly one of the more classy players to play the game as well. I never mentioned him, and I am sure the MLB scouting bureau has heard his name too.
baseball_05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 pm

I am sure Elgie will be drafted sometime, but it wont be next summer.  Yes he is putting up amazing numbers, with an aluminum bat.  This spring he only had average numbers, he struggled with a wood bat.  Yes I believe he is a great player and no I am not underrating him.  I think he will go D-1 somewhere, but it will be interesting to see how he will adjust using a wood bat at that level.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball_05 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:40 pm

What high school player did well with wood bats last year? If you ask me, the wood bats are going to go soon anyway.

So you dont think he will be drafted BEFORE college? If you are going to draft a kid you are going to do it in HS in hopes of getting him signed before he goes to college.
baseball_05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball_05 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 pm

Also, EVERY guy, from EVERY state or team, who has EVER been drafted as a positional player has put up great numbers with an aluminum bat. Mauer used an aluminum bat in HS right? They adjust to wood when they get to that point and are taught HOW to hit with them. They have they talent to do it, they just need to learn the way.
baseball_05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:48 pm

i dont think he gets drafted until after his freshman year at college is all i am getting at
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball_05 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:16 am

Well, thats why kids are drafted in HS before they get to college because once you enter into a college season, once you attend just 1 class at college, then you are not draft eligible until after your sophomore season. (Unless you are attending a JuCo)
baseball_05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 am

Mr. steele, we all know your a big elgie fan, but top 10 rounds?? come on, lets be serious

like i said before, way to early to tell on zach. we'll see how he does at the next level.  larson can only do so much for him to get him in a good position, once he gets to that next level, he's on his own.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby highheat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:20 am

yeah theres kids that put up similar numbers all over the country, but some of them do it against the top pitching in the nation, kids that throw in the 90s and have pitches that do outrageous things. how many times has elgie seen pitching like that this year and how did he do against it?

what kind of connections does larson have to the collegiate level. he must have his name in the right circle of people if he's sent players to nebraska.
highheat

Postby smart source » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:57 am

Saucesauer wrote:heres what you have to look at sure he can hit the ball far with aluminum but what about wood? how many pro teams use aluminum? because i believe in high school he didnt stick out i think he had 1 hr which i dont even led his team now sure he is good but dont forget about all the hype that lundy got and what round was he picked in? was he even picked?!? How long did it take for sherick (sp?) to just get drafted give him a year or 2 of college and we will see.

well he did get invited to a twins camp and put a ball outa the metrodome at about 385 with wood
smart source

Postby baseball30 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 am

Elgie= overrated..period
baseball30

Postby smart source » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:07 pm

elgie is probbly going to hold every batting record the vistas have except the batting average(lundy) so how is he overated?

o ya and hes pretty good in the field to
smart source

Postby NODAKsportsFAN » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:06 pm

How can you say Elgie is overrated?

If he is overrated like you say he is...with 28 or 29 HRs and 100 some RBIs every other "good" player in this state must really be bad.

Frenzel is a great player, but why do you think he's better than Elgie? I dissagree, I think Elgie is better than Frenzel. I'm just curious about exactly why you think Frenzel is better.

I don't think Elgie will be drafted next year. In my opinion, I think Lundy last year was much better than Elgie is this year. I think Lundy had a better chance of getting drafted last year than Elgie does next year. But who knows....
Last edited by NODAKsportsFAN on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NODAKsportsFAN

PreviousNext

Return to Class A