Fargo
9%
Jamestown
14%
West Fargo
9%

Total votes : 44

Postby baseball fan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:19 pm

I agree....when he has hit more homers himself than most teams....overrated? He faces the same competition as all n.d. kids and no ones numbers compare...I am from the east but Elgie like him or not is for real...he only has one year left as he is an old senior to be but he will get a great look at a D1 program with his size and speed...that is the difference he has the proper frame to build a career on...
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kel20Nd » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Scouts also have to like how he is the best player in the state in two other sports, hes the real deal
kel20Nd

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:24 pm

Saucesauer wrote:heres what you have to look at sure he can hit the ball far with aluminum but what about wood? how many pro teams use aluminum? because i believe in high school he didnt stick out i think he had 1 hr which i dont even led his team now sure he is good but dont forget about all the hype that lundy got and what round was he picked in? was he even picked?!? How long did it take for sherick (sp?) to just get drafted give him a year or 2 of college and we will see.

I don't really think you know what you're talking about... Lundy would have certainly been drafted if the draft and follow were still in effect... He had already committed to come back to to Iowa Western and so there was no reason for a team to draft him this year because he wouldn't have signed.

Sure, ND pitching isn't great, but funny thing, no one was bad mouthing Elgie when he had 11 RBIs in the first two games at state and all the scouts were chatting with him after the game...

BTW, Frenzel is a stud too, but I think if I had to take a short stop this year it would have been Leer, granted Leer is probably three years older than Frenzel, but Frenzel will never have the range at ss that Leer has, and Leer can hit with the best of them as well... And I agree with baseball_05, Liffrig is as classy as they come and will DEETROY DII pitching the next three years if his back is healthy.
Y-not Daily

Postby brownbomber » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:41 pm

baseball_05 wrote:What high school player did well with wood bats last year? If you ask me, the wood bats are going to go soon anyway.

So you dont think he will be drafted BEFORE college? If you are going to draft a kid you are going to do it in HS in hopes of getting him signed before he goes to college.

wouldnt it be better if the wood bats stayed in ND, so when they get to somewhere after hs ball they dont need to be taught as much as ppl who do use wood bats, if anything using wood bats prob help kids this year in legion ball
Last edited by brownbomber on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby highheat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 pm

brownbomber wrote:
baseball_05 wrote:What high school player did well with wood bats last year? If you ask me, the wood bats are going to go soon anyway.

So you dont think he will be drafted BEFORE college? If you are going to draft a kid you are going to do it in HS in hopes of getting him signed before he goes to college.

wouldnt it be better if the wood bats stayed in ND, so when they get to somewhere after hs ball they dont need to be taught as much as ppl who do use wood bats, if anything using wood bats prob help kids this year in legion ball

wood bats help the hitters when it comes to summer ball, but it makes the fielders (minus catchers) suffer. less hard hit balls in the infield and less balls hit over outfielders heads and into the gaps.
highheat

Postby whateverittakes » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 pm

Y-not Daily wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:heres what you have to look at sure he can hit the ball far with aluminum but what about wood? how many pro teams use aluminum? because i believe in high school he didnt stick out i think he had 1 hr which i dont even led his team now sure he is good but dont forget about all the hype that lundy got and what round was he picked in? was he even picked?!? How long did it take for sherick (sp?) to just get drafted give him a year or 2 of college and we will see.

I don't really think you know what you're talking about... Lundy would have certainly been drafted if the draft and follow were still in effect... He had already committed to come back to to Iowa Western and so there was no reason for a team to draft him this year because he wouldn't have signed.

Sure, ND pitching isn't great, but funny thing, no one was bad mouthing Elgie when he had 11 RBIs in the first two games at state and all the scouts were chatting with him after the game...

BTW, Frenzel is a stud too, but I think if I had to take a short stop this year it would have been Leer, granted Leer is probably three years older than Frenzel, but Frenzel will never have the range at ss that Leer has, and Leer can hit with the best of them as well... And I agree with baseball_05, Liffrig is as classy as they come and will DEETROY DII pitching the next three years if his back is healthy.

Look at the first two pitchers in the tournament Elgie faced 1st game was Astran from West Fargo who was the worst pitcher that pitched in the tournament and second game vs Bismarck Hausauer who isnt good either in the championship game "I believe he went 0 for 4 against Wenzel So either than Wentz he didnt see that much good pitching

Also you cant even compare Frenzels defense to Leers defense Leer is outstanding Frenzel doesnt have that much range but has a nice swing and is most definantly on of the feared hitters in the state but Leer holds his own on the offensive side

Lundy will get drafted and be in the majors time will tell I think Elgie will have a good college career in some D-1 school but he will never get passed AAA ball
Last edited by whateverittakes on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Aren't Frenzel and Elgie the same age?  So I'll take Elgie.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby dodgerfan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:08 pm

whateverittakes wrote:
Y-not Daily wrote:

Look at the first two pitchers in the tournament Elgie faced 1st game was Astran from West Fargo who was the worst pitcher that pitched in the tournament and second game vs Bismarck Hausauer who isnt good either in the championship game "I believe he went 0 for 4 against Wenzel So either than Wentz he didnt see that much good pitching

Also you cant even compare Frenzels defense to Leers defense Leer is outstanding Frenzel doesnt have that much range but has a nice swing and is most definantly on of the feared hitters in the state but Leer holds his own on the offensive side

Lundy will get drafted and be in the majors time will tell I think Elgie will have a good college career in some D-1 school but he will never get passed AAA ball

those are very bold statements
dodgerfan

Postby cubsfan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:32 am

Zac Elgie if you read this or someone on hear knows him, he would be welcomed at Mayville State.  Wouldn't have to play football, but basketball and baseball.  It would be a lovely combination. Think about it;).
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball30 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:55 am

whateverittakes wrote:[quote="Y-not Daily[/user] wrote: [/b]
[user=463]Saucesauer"]heres what you have to look at sure he can hit the ball far with aluminum but what about wood? how many pro teams use aluminum? because i believe in high school he didnt stick out i think he had 1 hr which i dont even led his team now sure he is good but dont forget about all the hype that lundy got and what round was he picked in? was he even picked?!? How long did it take for sherick (sp?) to just get drafted give him a year or 2 of college and we will see.

[/quote]

[b]Look at the first two pitchers in the tournament Elgie faced 1st game was Astran from West Fargo who was the worst pitcher that pitched in the tournament and second game vs Bismarck Hausauer who isnt good either in the championship game "I believe he went 0 for 4 against Wenzel So either than Wentz he didnt see that much good pitching

Great point..how did elgie do againt laylock..huge struggle, make Elgie hit good pitching and he goes down the tank
baseball30

Postby shs01240 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:14 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=805]baseball30[/user] wrote:
[user=463]Saucesauer"]heres what you have to look at sure he can hit the ball far with aluminum but what about wood? how many pro teams use aluminum? because i believe in high school he didnt stick out i think he had 1 hr which i dont even led his team now sure he is good but dont forget about all the hype that lundy got and what round was he picked in? was he even picked?!? How long did it take for sherick (sp?) to just get drafted give him a year or 2 of college and we will see.

[b]Look at the first two pitchers in the tournament Elgie faced 1st game was Astran from West Fargo who was the worst pitcher that pitched in the tournament and second game vs Bismarck Hausauer who isnt good either in the championship game "I believe he went 0 for 4 against Wenzel So either than Wentz he didnt see that much good pitching

Great point..how did elgie do againt laylock..huge struggle, make Elgie hit good pitching and he goes down the tank

He will continue to get looks no matter what, as long as he keeps droppin bombs every 6 or 7at bats.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:15 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=805]baseball30[/user] wrote:

He will continue to get looks no matter what, as long as he keeps droppin bombs every 6 or 7at bats.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:37 am

baseball30 wrote:

[/quote]

I think that goes for everyone in the state... If good pitchers are on, not very many kids are going to hit them... Look at Frenzel against Martinson in the same game... 0-for-4 and never hit a ball hard... There are certainly other examples of good pitchers on their games making good hitters look bad... Look at the MLB, even great hitters can't hit a pitcher's pitch... Also, all pitchers make mistakes, from hall of famers to crappy relievers.

What Elgie does better than anyone is take advantage of pitcher's mistakes, he can learn to become a more patient hitter, but I don't see anyone else crushing mistakes like he does...
Y-not Daily

Postby Ming01 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:02 pm

Good point Y-Not.  Good pitching will just about always beat good hitting
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby i_see_it_all » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 pm

north dakota has terrible pitching. maybe 3-4 guys in the state that are worth mentioning.

you put a zach elgie in a summer league down south with all the dominicans and the real baseball players, and he's just another slow 1b that cant hit a curveball.  id love to see his swing the first time he sees a split finger fastball.  if elgie plays division I baseball at a big school straight out of high school, he is in for a wake up call.  look at andrew gudmunson, went to nebraska, didnt have a sniff down there and was back up north after 1 season.  elgie is a guy who will crush the 78 mph fastball over the fence because he's that strong.  you get a guy throwin high 80's with a tight breaking pitch and a changeup (like nearly all D1 pitchers have)  elgie's hacks will look uglier than they did against freshman stephen laylock.

bottom line is athletic, versatile players have a much better shot because they can play more than 1 position and have multiple tools.   elgie is not very fast and cant play anything but first and maybe catch. 

id take frenzel anyday of the week. lefty, better swing, more athletic, and a better arm.... he will go farther than elgie my friends.    but if were talking 77 mph fastball, ill take elgie:P
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby NODAKsportsFAN » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:44 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:north dakota has terrible pitching. maybe 3-4 guys in the state that are worth mentioning.

you put a zach elgie in a summer league down south with all the dominicans and the real baseball players, and he's just another slow 1b that cant hit a curveball.  id love to see his swing the first time he sees a split finger fastball.  if elgie plays division I baseball at a big school straight out of high school, he is in for a wake up call.  look at andrew gudmunson, went to nebraska, didnt have a sniff down there and was back up north after 1 season.  elgie is a guy who will crush the 78 mph fastball over the fence because he's that strong.  you get a guy throwin high 80's with a tight breaking pitch and a changeup (like nearly all D1 pitchers have)  elgie's hacks will look uglier than they did against freshman stephen laylock.

bottom line is athletic, versatile players have a much better shot because they can play more than 1 position and have multiple tools.   elgie is not very fast and cant play anything but first and maybe catch. 

id take frenzel anyday of the week. lefty, better swing, more athletic, and a better arm.... he will go farther than elgie my friends.    but if were talking 77 mph fastball, ill take elgie:P

You are right, North Dakota doesn't have pitching like they do down south. I agree that he won't be able to play DI right out of high school...but then again, it's not very often you find someone who will make a big impact on a DI school straight out of high school.

However, I disagree when you say that Frenzel is more athletic and has a better arm. Frenzel does have a good arm, but I don't think you can say it's better than Elgie's. Zac has started for Minot High's varsity baseball team since he was a freshman, started varsity football since a sophomore and has started varsity basketball since he was a sophomore and is a key player in each sport he plays. You don't get much more athletic than that.

Just out of curiosity, how do Elgie's and Frenzel's numbers compare? Elgie has more HRs and RBIs I'm sure, but how about average and other stats?
NODAKsportsFAN

Postby highheat » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 pm

elgie is not that slow. he had around 20 stolen bases on the season and he legged out a triple or two at state this past week.
highheat

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:north dakota has terrible pitching. maybe 3-4 guys in the state that are worth mentioning.

Frenzel has a great swing, there is no debating that, but there is no way he is faster or more athletic than Elgie... Frenzel will be a third baseman in college, not a short stop, IMO, very good instincts and good arm, but not good enough range IMO... Elgie could play catcher, either corner infield or probably either corner outfield... He will probably have to rein in his swing at the next level, but he certainly has all the tools.

And by the way, I wouldn't be badmouthing Laylock as some mediocre freshman... He's got a bright future ahead of him, as long as his arm doesn't fall off from throwing over 150 pitches in a game... There's no shame in not getting in good cuts against Laylock...

BTW, anyone know how Schroeder's arm is doing... He looked to be in pretty rough shape when he was playing outfield at state. Hope his wing is OK, cause he's got a bright future.

Also, I'd like to point out that it's not all about throwing in the upper 80s, lower 90s... Look at what Sundheim did in the championship... He probably didn't even reach 75 on the gun, but was getting outs against a pretty good hitting Bismarck team. Same with Laylock, he doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he knows what he's doing out there.
Y-not Daily

Postby i_see_it_all » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Daily you might be the next smartest guy on this board besides me! jk

but no i agree with a lot of the things you said.  frenzel's range isnt there, but he is also only going to be a junior....but your probably right, 3b is more for him.

laylock is also a good pitcher, especiall for how young he is,  but hes not that good. and when your getting embarassed by a freshman in high school....you know your not ready.

nodaksportsfan, lets take a look at elgie's positions...he is a throwing QB, not a scrambler...he sits in the pocket and slings the ball around like broadway joe used to do, just not nearly as good.  therefore, he lets the athletic kids run the ball.

in basketball, he is a tall post player who works the paint inside. tall isnt athletic in baseball, and throwing your weight around doesnt help much in baseball either.  again, all the athletic kids are playing the perimiter and running the floor.  

frenzel is a linebacker/running back who moves laterally and has to be quick to play his position.  in hockey he is a goal scorer, a position athletic kids play who can move and handle and score.  elgie would be a slow, not quick defenseman who checks people. which is fine, just not athletic. 

bottom line, i think tyler lundy is the best ballplayer to come out of ND the past few years and will have the best chance to actually go somewhere.  he is a 4, maybe 5 tool player if he was a little faster.  i could talk about him all day.  

just not a big elgie fan, seen to many kids like him come through and get all hyped. up about ND baseball, but then realize that real baseball players can run, throw, field and hit...not just hit slow pitching.

and to answer your question, i know frenzel hit like .440 in high school with 4-5 HRs, i was told he led the state.  elgie was hitting around there also and had about 3 HR's.  i was also told that minot padded the stats hard against belcourt, wheras dickinson didnt get a chance to play belcourt this season....lol poor belcourt.

not sure about the summer. elgie had 26 HR's or something. my guess is frenzel was nothing near that. not sure about avg's?
Last edited by i_see_it_all on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby NODAKsportsFAN » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:01 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:Daily you might be the next smartest guy on this board besides me! jk

but no i agree with a lot of the things you said.  frenzel's range isnt there, but he is also only going to be a junior....but your probably right, 3b is more for him.

laylock is also a good pitcher, especiall for how young he is,  but hes not that good. and when your getting embarassed by a freshman in high school....you know your not ready.

nodaksportsfan, lets take a look at elgie's positions...he is a throwing QB, not a scrambler...he sits in the pocket and slings the ball around like broadway joe used to do, just not nearly as good.  therefore, he lets the athletic kids run the ball.

in basketball, he is a tall post player who works the paint inside. tall isnt athletic in baseball, and throwing your weight around doesnt help much in baseball either.  again, all the athletic kids are playing the perimiter and running the floor.  

frenzel is a linebacker/running back who moves laterally and has to be quick to play his position.  in hockey he is a goal scorer, a position athletic kids play who can move and handle and score.  elgie would be a slow, not quick defenseman who checks people. which is fine, just not athletic. 

bottom line, i think tyler lundy is the best ballplayer to come out of ND the past few years and will have the best chance to actually go somewhere.  he is a 4, maybe 5 tool player if he was a little faster.  i could talk about him all day.  

just not a big elgie fan, seen to many kids like him come through and get all hyped. up about ND baseball, but then realize that real baseball players can run, throw, field and hit...not just hit slow pitching.

and to answer your question, i know frenzel hit like .440 in high school with 4-5 HRs, i was told he led the state.  elgie was hitting around there also and had about 3 HR's.  i was also told that minot padded the stats hard against belcourt, wheras dickinson didnt get a chance to play belcourt this season....lol poor belcourt.

not sure about the summer. elgie had 26 HR's or something. my guess is frenzel was nothing near that. not sure about avg's?

Very good post Daily.

i_see_it_all, you are right in saying Lundy is the best ball player to come out of ND in the last few years, I couldn't agree more.

I'm not saying by any means that Elgie will make it to the bigs, or that he will even be drafted soon...I don't think he's anywhere near ready yet. I don't know if I made it sound like I thought he was earlier, but for the record, I will say it now...He is not ready for the bigs, or to be drafted, or for DI baseball for that matter.

When looking at players as a whole, I think it's pretty much a toss up between Frenzel and Elgie. They are both good players and they both have their weaknesses. Personally I'd take Elgie over Frenzel but I undrstand your reasoning if you take Frenzel over Elgie.
NODAKsportsFAN

Postby Ming01 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:in basketball, he is a tall post player who works the paint inside. tall isnt athletic in baseball, and throwing your weight around doesnt help much in baseball either.  again, all the athletic kids are playing the perimiter and running the floor.  

elgie wasn't a post, he could play the 2,3, or 4 and maybe even the 1 if he had to.  he is a very versatile player. elgie played almost all around the court. elgie could take many ppl inside or outside and could run the floor very well. he isnt slow.

also, elgie is more athletic than anyone in this state.  he'll prolly be senior athlete of the year in all three of his sports this upcoming year.
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:25 pm

First of All its not his fault he faces 78 mph fastballs, even AROD wasnt facing guys that good when he was in high school. You work your way up. 60-70's in babe ruth seemed fast at that age, then its 80's in High School but you figure it out, then 90's in college. Good athletes ADJUST and get better and work harder. Elgie is just like Kyle Carr, 3 sport star who knows nothing but WINNING. I will say Elgie top 20 rounds. TWINS.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:30 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:Daily you might be the next smartest guy on this board besides me! jk

I'd say out of ND Kyle Carr has best chance to go somewhere considering he had 3 something ERA at Minnesota this year where they use aluminum bats!!

And padding stats wow, thats ridiculous..this is baseball!!! They pitch you hit!!

Yeah Travis Hafner hes a real "athletic" first baseman isn't he?
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:39 pm

no north dakota kid is going to get drafted out of high school unless he's a pitcher, because they cant trust nd hitters as much, elgie wont get drafted until he finished juco or becomes a junior in a d1, look at lundy, he hit like 18 bombs this year at iowa western and did the same thing as elgie is donig this year in legion and lundy didnt get drafted and he's a way better player than elgie....
baseball1981

Postby i_see_it_all » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:11 pm

And padding stats wow, thats ridiculous..this is baseball!!! They pitch you hit!!

little easier to hit when the kid is lobbing the ball in there and the defense barely reacts when the ball is hit....not to mention the team has won 1 whole game in 4 years of baseball.  everyone knows playing belcourt is basically a few games to boost the stats.....anyone who says different is lying.  

baseball 1981, i think your right with saying that about only pitchers being drafted...i wonder why that is though?  I think bryan erstad was drafted out of high school, but I cant think of anyone else who was a hitter?   can name a dozen pitchers, no hitters though.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class A