College Players

Re: College Players

Postby Ming01 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Why can't we just congratulate Elgie and wish him good luck because he is a special talent and not many North Dakotans get to play D-1 ball?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby smart source » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:22 pm

baseball1981 wrote:i love how zac said he'd "consider" signing if he got drafted in the 7th or 8th rounds

thats because thats when it starts becoming a money issue...if he doesnt get much money he would obviously go play college ball
smart source

Postby Number7 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Or maybe he values a college education and wants four more years to perfect his skills and enter the minors with even more knowledge and ability
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby MinotFan555 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 pm

Zac Elgie skipping college and getting drafted in the 7th round? Give me a break. Why don't we make this ZacElgiepreps.com instead. This is just getting ridiculous. For all of you who think he is THAT great of a player, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The kid is very marginal at best. He's lucky he's even going to the U of K where he'll be starting at warming up the bench for the Jayhawks. Anybody can put a ball out of a 305 ft park with an exo-grid, it isn't that hard. We all saw how awesome of a hitter he was when they put a wood bat in his hands. What do you people think he will be using in the pros? A stealth? Get a clue. Do you guys all have a love affair with the kid or what? Or maybe he has 500 different names on here and he's just talking himself up, who knows. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have any talent, because he obviously does, but all you homers talk like he's the next A-rod. He's lucky he's even playing at a D-1 school. Lundy was the best player to come out of ND in a long time, and he hasn't even been drafted yet, he is a WAY better all around player than Elgie, it's not even close. You morons needs to remember we are playing in NORTH DAKOTA, the talent around here is complete garbage. Anybody can hit a 65 mph fastball down the cock 305ft. Throw a fastball at Elgie's letters or an offspeed pitch and he will swing right out of his dang shoes. The sad part about it is, is Zac isn't exactly the most humble kid either. Anyone I know who's ever played against him thinks he's the most arrogant athlete to come out of ND. And from what I've seen, it's completely true. His day will come where he will notice that he is at the bottom of the chain at the college level and he will be done with baseball after his 4th year. When that day comes, me, along with a million other people will be laughing when the closest he'll get to playing in a professional game is when he comes to the metrodome to watch the twinkies play. All you Elgie homers need a wake-up call because the kid is not as good as you bring him up to be. Let's see how he does at the college level, when the U of K will regret ever recruiting him.
MinotFan555

Postby rep » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:31 pm

MinotFan555 wrote:Zac Elgie skipping college and getting drafted in the 7th round? Give me a break. Why don't we make this ZacElgiepreps.com instead. This is just getting ridiculous. For all of you who think he is THAT great of a player, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The kid is very marginal at best. He's lucky he's even going to the U of K where he'll be starting at warming up the bench for the Jayhawks. Anybody can put a ball out of a 305 ft park with an exo-grid, it isn't that hard. We all saw how awesome of a hitter he was when they put a wood bat in his hands. What do you idiots think he will be using in the pros? A stealth? Get a fricken clue. Do you guys all have a love affair with the kid or what? Or maybe he has 500 different names on here and he's just talking himself up, who knows. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have any talent, because he obviously does, but all you homers talk like he's the next A-rod. He's lucky he's even playing at a D-1 school. Lundy was the best player to come out of ND in a long time, and he hasn't even been drafted yet, he is a WAY better all around player than Elgie, it's not even close. You morons needs to remember we are playing in NORTH DA love KOTA, the talent around here is complete garbage. Anybody can hit a 65 mph fastball down the cock 305ft. Throw a fastball at Elgie's letters or an offspeed pitch and he will swing right out of his dang shoes. The sad part about it is, is Zac isn't exactly the most humble kid either. Anyone I know who's ever played against him thinks he's the most arrogant athlete to come out of ND. And from what I've seen, it's completely true. His day will come where he will notice that he is at the bottom of the chain at the college level and he will be done with baseball after his 4th year. When that day comes, me, along with a million other people will be laughing when the closest he'll get to playing in a professional game is when he comes to the metrodome to watch the twinkies play. All you Elgie homers need a wake-up call because the kid is not as good as you bring him up to be. Let's see how he does at the college level, when the U of K will regret ever recruiting him.

stay classy minotfan555. gotta love it when someone can pick apart a high school kid's game.

personally i think you are just as guilty as the people you are ripping, saying he is going to fail before he even takes his first college swing. give the kid a chance to fail or succeed before you decide how he's done.
rep

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Congratulations to Zac for having the talent to garner a college scholarship to play baseball in the Big 12.

North Dakota baseball is garbage? It's actually pretty good considering the state has so few people.

And lets keep all our discussions about someones playing abilities. If you want to gossip about things other than that, take it to myspace, or facebook. I don't want to be discussing people's personal lives here.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby smart source » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:35 pm

MinotFan555 wrote:Zac Elgie skipping college and getting drafted in the 7th round? Give me a break. Why don't we make this ZacElgiepreps.com instead. This is just getting ridiculous. For all of you who think he is THAT great of a player, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The kid is very marginal at best. He's lucky he's even going to the U of K where he'll be starting at warming up the bench for the Jayhawks. Anybody can put a ball out of a 305 ft park with an exo-grid, it isn't that hard. We all saw how awesome of a hitter he was when they put a wood bat in his hands. What do you people think he will be using in the pros? A stealth? Get a clue. Do you guys all have a love affair with the kid or what? Or maybe he has 500 different names on here and he's just talking himself up, who knows. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have any talent, because he obviously does, but all you homers talk like he's the next A-rod. He's lucky he's even playing at a D-1 school. Lundy was the best player to come out of ND in a long time, and he hasn't even been drafted yet, he is a WAY better all around player than Elgie, it's not even close. You morons needs to remember we are playing in NORTH DAKOTA, the talent around here is complete garbage. Anybody can hit a 65 mph fastball down the cock 305ft. Throw a fastball at Elgie's letters or an offspeed pitch and he will swing right out of his dang shoes. The sad part about it is, is Zac isn't exactly the most humble kid either. Anyone I know who's ever played against him thinks he's the most arrogant athlete to come out of ND. And from what I've seen, it's completely true. His day will come where he will notice that he is at the bottom of the chain at the college level and he will be done with baseball after his 4th year. When that day comes, me, along with a million other people will be laughing when the closest he'll get to playing in a professional game is when he comes to the metrodome to watch the twinkies play. All you Elgie homers need a wake-up call because the kid is not as good as you bring him up to be. Let's see how he does at the college level, when the U of K will regret ever recruiting him.

yea tell those kids that saw zac trot around the bases i think 4 or 5 times at the regional they seem to think he was pretty good after he pounded a fastball at about 380 against andrew miller i think it was....o by the way andrew miller was the mvp of the american legion world series....i think that might qualify as him being able to hit some good pitching but im not sure....and can you name me a player that really hit well and i mean really well with wood bats in high school not just north dakota but im pretty sure that most states still use metal bats and i guarentee that if you put a wood bat in those kids hands they wouldnt hit nearly as good and elgie is a really good kid 4.0 student and just flat out nice guy you obviously dont know the kid there is a difference between cocky and confident and he doesnt bash other players and put himself above them and mabey just mabey someday the kid will be seen by millions of people and you will feel like an idiot
smart source

Postby shs01240 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:07 pm

This is the second time I've posted this regarding Mr. Elgie: Jealousy has reared its ugly head.

As a competitor, I can't stand the kid cuz he is so damned good, but you have got to respect his talent. He's a guy that is always on the pitcher's mind, no matter what part of the batting order he is pitching too. Lets keep in mind that he probably just turned 18, and he will definitely be improving every facet of his game while he is in Lawrence. I personally want to wish him the best of luck, and I hope he represents ND baseball as well as all the players who have gone D1 or D1 JUCO over these last few years. Obviously Lundy is the ND golden boy, but lets not forget about the other talented players representing our state at some of the highest levels of college baseball.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:04 pm

MinotFan555 wrote:Zac Elgie skipping college and getting drafted in the 7th round? Give me a break. Why don't we make this ZacElgiepreps.com instead. This is just getting ridiculous. For all of you who think he is THAT great of a player, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The kid is very marginal at best. He's lucky he's even going to the U of K where he'll be starting at warming up the bench for the Jayhawks. Anybody can put a ball out of a 305 ft park with an exo-grid, it isn't that hard. We all saw how awesome of a hitter he was when they put a wood bat in his hands. What do you people think he will be using in the pros? A stealth? Get a clue. Do you guys all have a love affair with the kid or what? Or maybe he has 500 different names on here and he's just talking himself up, who knows. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have any talent, because he obviously does, but all you homers talk like he's the next A-rod. He's lucky he's even playing at a D-1 school. Lundy was the best player to come out of ND in a long time, and he hasn't even been drafted yet, he is a WAY better all around player than Elgie, it's not even close. You morons needs to remember we are playing in NORTH DAKOTA, the talent around here is complete garbage. Anybody can hit a 65 mph fastball down the cock 305ft. Throw a fastball at Elgie's letters or an offspeed pitch and he will swing right out of his dang shoes. The sad part about it is, is Zac isn't exactly the most humble kid either. Anyone I know who's ever played against him thinks he's the most arrogant athlete to come out of ND. And from what I've seen, it's completely true. His day will come where he will notice that he is at the bottom of the chain at the college level and he will be done with baseball after his 4th year. When that day comes, me, along with a million other people will be laughing when the closest he'll get to playing in a professional game is when he comes to the metrodome to watch the twinkies play. All you Elgie homers need a wake-up call because the kid is not as good as you bring him up to be. Let's see how he does at the college level, when the U of K will regret ever recruiting him.

You're from Minot? Did Elgie take your position or something? I dont know how you can rip the kid like this, he's proved he's a special talent, have you watched him play baseball? Yeah he didn't do the best with wood, most ppl struggled with it, but did you se him play at the central plains regional last year? You can't tell me that was no fluke he played against some good competition and tore apart Eden Prairie, MN who happened to finish 2nd in the World Series. And I dont think hes very cocky at all, from my experiences playing against him in football and baseball, he's a high competitor, doing whatever he can to get his team to win. His confidence may come out all wrong on the field because of his ability, but I dont know the kid off the field, he may seem arrogant on the field but I would say it is mostly confidence and his work ethic.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby smart source » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 am

ok im not saying elgie is better than lundy because i have played with them both and i dont know how you can compare the 2 right now lundy is def better because of college but as legion players i dont know how you can compare them because if you look at the minot vistas website

http://leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=minotbaseball

if you go to the team leaders elgie beats lundy in almost every catagory or will be by the end of this coming season...again im not saying he is better but im just sayin
smart source

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:07 am

Alright, here's what I think about it. To say Elgie isin't good is not true. He's got a lot of talent and can really hit the ball. But, he really doesn't have a position for college, mainly because he doesn't have a strong arm, doesn't run particularly fast. I do think that Elgie will sit a year or two at Kansas. Yeah, they said he would start, but the truth is...college coaches will do anything to get you to their program, but once your there, they will try keep you there but their not going to start you just because you hit 35 bombs in "north dakota" legion ball, and hit like 2 with wood bats? I hope Zac does succeed. It's nice to see another North Dakota kid going off to play some college ball. Kansas isin't exactly the best baseball school, but he'll get a good education and have a shot at getting somewhere after 3 years maybe. As for this year, I don't see Zac getting drafted. Look at how lundy, kroll, and the cafaro kid did at Iowa Western. All hit 16, 17, 18 bombs and didn't get drafted, and they hit like over .500 at a D1 JUCO and still didn't get drafted. Let me ask you a question. If you got drafted in the 7th or 8th round would you sign? I guarantee you you would get a good signing bonus and a decent contract. Pro teams usually sign their top 20 or 25 draft picks and then maybe some other ones in the later rounds. He would get at least 100,000 offer in the 7th round. If he would "consider" taking that offer he's crazy, cause anyone that isin't going to the OSU, or Texas or anyother huge D1 school would take it. I just thought that was kind of a comment that was saying he thinks he'll get drafted in the top 10. I wish Zac the best of luck.
baseball1981

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:09 am

Ming01 wrote:

You're from Minot? Did Elgie take your position or something? I dont know how you can rip the kid like this, he's proved he's a special talent, have you watched him play baseball? Yeah he didn't do the best with wood, most ppl struggled with it, but did you se him play at the central plains regional last year? You can't tell me that was no fluke he played against some good competition and tore apart Eden Prairie, MN who happened to finish 2nd in the World Series. And I dont think hes very cocky at all, from my experiences playing against him in football and baseball, he's a high competitor, doing whatever he can to get his team to win. His confidence may come out all wrong on the field because of his ability, but I dont know the kid off the field, he may seem arrogant on the field but I would say it is mostly confidence and his work ethic.
From what I've heard he has done some things that are pretty cocky, but don't all players do that? Give him a break, he's good he can say whatever he wants about himself as for north dakota baseball. I do think that Minot sort of "builds up" players, making them think their gods and stuff, but he'll be fine, he can hit bombs, and just needs some fundemental work and he'll do fine.
baseball1981

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:11 am

smart source wrote:ok im not saying elgie is better than lundy because i have played with them both and i dont know how you can compare the 2 right now lundy is def better because of college but as legion players i dont know how you can compare them because if you look at the minot vistas website

if you go to the team leaders elgie beats lundy in almost every catagory or will be by the end of this coming season...again im not saying he is better but im just sayin
Lundy also played a two years less than Zac, so take that into consideration.
baseball1981

Postby Minot Stunna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:02 pm

What ever happened to having a little North Dakota pride? Why would you rag on a kid with great potential that got recruited by a D-1 school when he hasnt swung a bat yet. and as for wood bats, the last time i looked college still uses aluminium. give the kid a break, he has more pressure on him than any player in the state. A three sport freak that is supposed to be one of the best. Just give it a rest and congratulate Elgie on his accomplishments
Minot Stunna
NDPreps Reserve

Postby smart source » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:26 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
smart source wrote:ok im not saying elgie is better than lundy because i have played with them both and i dont know how you can compare the 2 right now lundy is def better because of college but as legion players i dont know how you can compare them because if you look at the minot vistas website

Lundy also played a two years less than Zac, so take that into consideration.

they actually have both played 3 years of legion ball
smart source

Postby baseball1981 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:48 pm

ok...maybe lundy told me wrong then... :lol:
baseball1981

Postby smart source » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:39 pm

lundy played from 04-06 elgie played from 05-07 thats according to the minot vistas website
smart source

Postby Ming01 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Pretty sure Lundy played for the Vistas in '04... correct me if I'm wrong though
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:14 pm

i don't know, maybe he was talking about after this summer he'll have played one more year than him...
baseball1981

Postby Minot Stunna » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:34 am

Regardless, Elgie and Lundy cant be compared. Elgie is a better power hitter, more than likely the best in the state. Lundy was a better all-around player, he might have been as good a pitcher as a hitter. Two different types of players, both very good at what they do.
Minot Stunna
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball1981 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:47 am

Minot Stunna wrote:Regardless, Elgie and Lundy cant be compared. Elgie is a better power hitter, more than likely the best in the state. Lundy was a better all-around player, he might have been as good a pitcher as a hitter. Two different types of players, both very good at what they do.
i agree, lundy is a better all around player and has a great arm still, i think thats something that could end up hurting elgie in higher baseball is that he really can only hit for power, hopefully he can learn how to play a position better than now and can get a chance at the draft when hes eligible again
baseball1981

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 pm

smart source wrote:by the way sauc the phillies and red sox have been givin elgie calls and told him that he will be drafted just for your knowledge

My guess is he will be drafted by someone but not in the top 20 rounds. Only 5 tool players get drafted in the top 20 rounds out of high school. More polished college seniors are drafted between rounds 10-20 and the top prospects that are college juniors and major prospects out of high school and juco that can do it all not just hit with power. As far as the phone calls, that really doesnt mean anything especially this early. The reason I can say that is Jeremiah Piepkorn from NDSU was called by the Dodgers the morning of the draft day two his junior year and told he was being taken sometime before round 30. He wasnt drafted. So that is just one example of how the draft doesnt always go how the scout tells ya.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 pm

baseball1981 wrote: Kansas isin't exactly the best baseball school, but he'll get a good education and have a shot at getting somewhere after 3 years maybe.

Kansas won the Big XII tournament in 2006, had 6 players drafted that year and has 14 players currently in organized ball and 3 in the majors. Rich "Hey Babe" Price has that program headed in a new direction in his 5 years there. I agree with you he will not make an immediate impact. Maybe platoon first year and see action as a pinch hitter. He needs to develop defensively for the next level.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball1981 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:00 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
baseball1981 wrote: Kansas isin't exactly the best baseball school, but he'll get a good education and have a shot at getting somewhere after 3 years maybe.

Kansas won the Big XII tournament in 2006, had 6 players drafted that year and has 14 players currently in organized ball and 3 in the majors. Rich "Hey Babe" Price has that program headed in a new direction in his 5 years there. I agree with you he will not make an immediate impact. Maybe platoon first year and see action as a pinch hitter. He needs to develop defensively for the next level.
you know your stuff...i agree with your previous post as well, i think the draft is alot of talk and just scouts messing with your heads, i think hes a 35+ round guy
baseball1981

Previous

Return to Class A