2007 Legion Season

Postby highheat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:41 pm

baseball11 wrote:
JR wrote:I think West Fargo will be able to compete pretty well in the east with the returns of Salquest, Gregory, and Kulesa. Lineup should look like this

C- Crist
1B-Schmidt
2B-Gregory
SS-Kulesa
3B-Odegard
LF-Horsager
CF-Salquest
RF-Rheault

Greshik is also able to pitch here pretty soon so there is another good pitcher.

Whats the Crist kids first name?

adam i think. west fargo will hang around in the east because theyll in their games against wahpeton and valley city (at least i hope they do). they wont do much against fargo or grand forks. their games against jamestown will be decent.
highheat

Postby NDSUGrad » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:26 pm

baseball fan wrote:Lundy is on the roster and will join them later in the season.

Where will he be for the beginning?
NDSUGrad
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:41 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1349]NDSUGrad[/user] wrote:
baseball fan wrote:Lundy is on the roster and will join them later in the season.

</span>

He's playing in Canada I believe. I personally think it would be stupid of him to waste his time in North Dakota, and I would be very surprised if he actually came back.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:41 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1349]NDSUGrad[/user] wrote:

</span>

He's playing in Canada I believe. I personally think it would be stupid of him to waste his time in North Dakota, and I would be very surprised if he actually came back.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby b-baller » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:11 pm

Does anyone else think it is unfair for a player to play in a summer college league and a college all star game, then come back late in the season for the play-offs against predominantly average high school age players?  Minot's tournament seeding will certainly be skewed.

Jake Landry could have played for Grand Forks at the end of last season had the team let him after taking off time for two all-star football games, but would have violated the team's attendance requirements so it wasn't allowed.

If Minot allows Lundy to play late in the season, it will raise a lot of ethical questions.
Last edited by b-baller on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b-baller

Postby brownbomber » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:27 pm

b-baller wrote:Does anyone else think it is unfair for a player to play in a summer college league and a college all star game, then come back late in the season for the play-offs against predominantly average high school age players?  Minot's tournament seeding will certainly be skewed.

Jake Landry could have played for Grand Forks at the end of last season had the team let him after taking off time for two all-star football games, but would have violated the team's attendance requirements so it wasn't allowed.

If Minot allows Lundy to play late in the season, it will raise a lot of ethical questions.
yeah but couldnt you say that about every kid whos eligible to play one more year of legion, if they dont  let him play because of those things then they shouldnt let any kid  have another year to play legion
Last edited by brownbomber on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:30 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=2471]brownbomber[/user] wrote:
b-baller wrote:Does anyone else think it is unfair for a player to play in a summer college league and a college all star game, then come back late in the season for the play-offs against predominantly average high school age players?  Minot's tournament seeding will certainly be skewed.

yeah but couldnt you say that about every kid whos eligible to play one more year of legion, if they dont  let him play because of those things then they shouldnt let any kid  have another year to play legion
</span>

no, because not every college kid is good enough to play at the level of summer leagues that lundy is.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby b-baller » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:01 pm

brownbomber wrote:

SORRY BROWNBOMBER, I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR LOGIC.  I DONT KNOW OF ANY OTHER COLLEGE KIDS WHO HAVE PLAYED AT THAT LEVEL AND RETURNED TO PLAY THE TAIL END OF THE LEGION SEASON. 

WOULD THIS EXCEPTION BE MADE FOR AN AVERAGE PLAYER, TAKE OFF MOST OF THE SUMMER THEN JOIN THE TEAM FOR THE PLAYOFFS?  I DONT THINK SO. 

WHERE IS THE FAIRNESS TO THE TEAM MINOT WILL FACE FIRST ROUND  IN THE STATE TOURNEY IF MINOT GOES IN AS A 3 OR 4 SEED?
Last edited by b-baller on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b-baller

Postby shs01240 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:10 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced"><span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=802]b-baller[/user] wrote:
brownbomber wrote:

SORRY BROWNBOMBER, I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR LOGIC.  I DONT KNOW OF ANY OTHER COLLEGE KIDS WHO HAVE PLAYED AT THAT LEVEL AND RETURNED TO PLAY THE TAIL END OF THE LEGION SEASON. 

WOULD THIS EXCEPTION BE MADE FOR AN AVERAGE PLAYER, TAKE OFF MOST OF THE SUMMER THEN JOIN THE TEAM FOR THE PLAYOFFS?  I DONT THINK SO. 

WHERE IS THE FAIRNESS TO THE TEAM MINOT WILL FACE FIRST ROUND  IN THE STATE TOURNEY IF MINOT GOES IN AS A 3 OR 4 SEED?

</span>It's completely fair for whoever draws Minot in the first round. It is unfair for the poor guy who busts his butt all season and loses his starting spot for the most fun part of the season.
Last edited by shs01240 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby b-baller » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:16 pm

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced"><span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=802]b-baller[/user] wrote:
brownbomber wrote:

</span>It's completely fair for whoever draws Minot in the first round. It is unfair for the poor guy who busts his butt all season and loses his starting spot for the most fun part of the season.
Good point but how can you justify the fairness to a team that draws Minot if they are artificially seeded too low?
b-baller

Postby NDSUGrad » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:32 pm

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1349]NDSUGrad[/user] wrote:

</span>

You would think there would be a rule about jumping from league to league.
NDSUGrad
NDPreps Starter

Postby ahhhh » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:17 pm

go minot! even without lundy they win state
ahhhh

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:33 pm

ahhhh wrote:go minot! even without lundy they win state

In my opinion, Williston is my pick to win the West Division and state.  Fargo, Bismarck, GF, and even Dickinson will contend as well...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NODAKsportsFAN » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 pm

Ming01 wrote:

In my opinion, Williston is my pick to win the West Division and state.  Fargo, Bismarck, GF, and even Dickinson will contend as well...

I agree with those teams being the top contenders. However, I don't think Williston has the best chance to win it all. Yes, they'll have plenty of run support, but I question their pitching depth. Minot will, by no means, walk away with the state title like some people think they will. They will put up a tough fight for it though, don't get me wrong. Minot has quite possibly the best pitching rotation in the state, they have a TON of experience back from last season, and their hitting is among the top 3 or 4 teams in the state also. They will be very beatable by each of those teams you listed though.

Where is WDA and State at this year?
NODAKsportsFAN

Postby brownbomber » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:55 am

i didnt know you were talking about just him coming back and playing in the playoffs i thought you meant coming back and playing a full season with them
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mauer07 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 am

NODAKsportsFAN wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

I agree with those teams being the top contenders. However, I don't think Williston has the best chance to win it all. Yes, they'll have plenty of run support, but I question their pitching depth. Minot will, by no means, walk away with the state title like some people think they will. They will put up a tough fight for it though, don't get me wrong. Minot has quite possibly the best pitching rotation in the state, they have a TON of experience back from last season, and their hitting is among the top 3 or 4 teams in the state also. They will be very beatable by each of those teams you listed though.

Where is WDA and State at this year?

wda is at devils lake and states at fargo
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brownbomber » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 pm

how is the first week of legion going around the state?how are teams adapting to the aluminum bats?
Last edited by brownbomber on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Willy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 am

WEST COMES BACK IN SEVENTH
Jun 11, 2007 - 07:07:48 CDT
By STEVETHOMAS
BismarckTribuneJames and John, the biblical Sons of Thunder, were two in number.

The WesternDivision Legion baseball sons of thunder number at least three -AndyLeer, Tyler Liffrig andZac Elgie.

However, it took the power-laden West lineup six innings to get rolling on Sunday. Once the West hitters kicked into gear, though, they thumped their way to a 9-5 victory in the East-West Legion All-Star Game at Mandan.

East pitchers Sean Potter and AlexKreis of Grand Forks, Anthony Kliniske of Grafton and Dave Gulden of Wahpeton held the West to four hits through the first six innings of the all-star contest at Memorial Ballpark.

In the seventh, however, the West caught up to lefty Andrew Herian of Fargo. Nine hitters went to the plate against Herian, who was charged with six earned runs. The West drilled five hits in the decisive inning, including Leer's RBItriple and Teddy Anderson's two-run homer.

"It seemed like we were playing with wood bats again,"Anderson said, harking back to the high school season. "Then I think we just started picking things up and hitting the ball harder. We were just feeling better at the plate."

Anderson, a Minot infielder who bats left, pulled a Herian pitch over the right field wall for the West's final two runs.

"I was down 0-and-2 in the count and I was just looking to put it in play," Anderson said. "AllI know is it was inside and I got the barrel of the bat on it. ... He's a lefty so Iknew Ihad to keep my shoulder in."

Minot's Kory Houston got the winning rally going, working Herian for a one-out walk. He advanced to second base via a passed ball and scored as Josh Lagein of Devils Lake singled. That broke a 3-3 tie.

Leer, from Williston, tripled to the wall in right-center to send home Lagein. Liffrig, also from Williston, singled in Leer and it was 6-3. ZachWentz of Bismarck singled to move up Liffrig, who scored when Minot's Elgie forced Wentz at second base. That set the stage for Anderson's round-tripper.

Liffrig, with two singles, was the only West player with more than one hit. Billy Sholl of Fargo and JustinRheault of West Fargo rapped two singles apiece for the East.

East coach BillIbach of Fargo said he stacked the front end of his pitching lineup to keep the West from developing momentum early in the game.

"My thinking was the West is strong and I wanted to make it competitive from the get-go,"Ibach said. "I didn't want them to bury us early.I didn't want that six-spot to come in the first or second inning."

Ibach said he also tried to be aware of when his pitchers last worked or when they were scheduled to pitch again.

"Brady Schoeler (of Jamestown)pitched yesterday ... and I didn't want to use anyone for more than two innings,"he said.

West coach Todd Larson of Minot was cognizant of similar constraints.

"We were kind of short-staffed,"Larson said. "We had a lot of kids who threw recently. Jared Quast threw yesterday for Mandan and Zac Elgie threw for us and McHale Maristuen (of Williston)just pitched a couple of days ago."

All told, six pitchers from the East and eight from the West made appearances. Sean Potter of Grand Forks, Anthony Kliniske of Grafton and Jordan Martinson of Minot were the only hurlers to put in more than an inning.

Larson said he was gratified to see his players didn't treat the all-star game like an exhibition or scrimmage. "It was fun to be around them," he said. "They play the game hard, the way it's meant to be played."

Ibach agreed the game was an enjoyable experience.

"It was fun to get to know some of these kids from the East that we normally just play against," he said. "It was fun to sit in the dugout and see what makes them tick."

East 100 020 020 - 5 9 3

West 010 101 60x - 9 9 1

Sean Potter, Alex Kreis (3), Anthony Kliniske (4), Dave Gulden (6), Andrew Herian (7), TimRude (8) and AndySadler, Andrew Lick (6); ZachWentz, Matt Loomis (2), JordanMartinson(3), McHale Maristuen (5), Zac Elgie (6), Jared Quast (7), Ryne Hornecker (8), CodyErhardt (9) andElgie, Torey Bohan (5). W - Quast. L- Herian. HR- East, Gulden;West, TeddyAnderson.

Highlights: East -BillySholl 2-for-3, 1 R; JustinRheault 2-for-3; Herian 1-for-2, double, 1 R; Gulden 1-for-2, solo HR, eighth inning;Potter 2 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO; Kreis 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 SO; Kliniske 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO; Rude 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0BB, 0 SO.West -AndyLeer 1-for-5, triple, 1 R,1 RBI; Bohan 1-for-2, double, 1 RBI; Tyler Liffrig 2-for-3, 4 R, 1 RBI; Anderson 1-for-2, 2-R HR, seventh inning; Elgie 1-for-3, 1 R, 2 RBIs; 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO; Loomis 1 IP, 0 H, 0R, 2 BB, 1 SO; Martinson 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO; Quast 1 IP, 0 H, 0R, 2 BB, 0 SO; Erhardt 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby magichoops » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:32 pm

http://www.westernwheel.com/sports-dogs%20digging.htm

"The Dawgs are expecting to get a big boost at the plate in the next week or two when Tyler Lundy, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound outfielder from Iowa Western Community College arrives in town.
Lundy is currently trying out for the American national team and batted over .400 at this year’s NCAA Junior College World Series.
“We don’t expect to see him until mid-June,â€Â
magichoops

Postby MinotBison » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Minot just swept Fargo in a doubleheader, and split with Bismarck.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd-ball41 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:27 pm

The games should be pretty interesting in the tournament in fargo this week...if they still have it. Teams from ND, MN, Canada, and some other states as well.
nd-ball41

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:32 pm

nd-ball41 wrote:The games should be pretty interesting in the tournament in fargo this week...if they still have it. Teams from ND, MN, Canada, and some other states as well.

Yeah there are some tough MN teams in that tourney.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:16 am

Ming01 wrote:
nd-ball41 wrote:The games should be pretty interesting in the tournament in fargo this week...if they still have it. Teams from ND, MN, Canada, and some other states as well.

And also a very tough team from Oklahoma called the Mustang Boomers, I have heard they have multiple D-1 prospects and were featured in an article in today's forum.

However, all of the games on Thurs. June 14th have been cancelled.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:37 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1492]Number7[/user] wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

And also a very tough team from Oklahoma called the Mustang Boomers, I have heard they have multiple D-1 prospects and were featured in an article in today's forum.

</span>

They aren't cancelled, only moved back a day.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:45 pm

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1492]Number7[/user] wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

</span>

They aren't cancelled, only moved back a day.
Yea thats right sorry about that, the championship round on Sunday though is cancelled.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Class A