what happened to minot this year? Who is going to be the sur

Postby eugenedinsmoe » Tue May 01, 2007 6:14 pm

Most people would say its the wood bats but i disagree. I believe that some of thier struggles fall on thier coach Pete Stenberg.  Mr. Stenberg is a great coach but he sometimes doesn't do the right things. For ex. when Minot played Dickinson, they had them beat, but Mr. Stenberg kept the pitcher in the game when you could tell he was definately getting tired.  Because of that Dickinson came back and beat minot.  Don't get me wrong Mr. Stenberg is a great coach. That's why he has won 2 straight coach of the years.

Minot has also struggled offensively.  One of the biggest disappoints has to be Zac Elgie.  He isn't patient at the plate.  He is swinging at the first pitch, and hiting lots of pop-flys. Don't get me wrong zac is a great athlete but if he wants to succeed he needs to be more patient.  Once he figures that out  he will be deangerous once agin.

I think the surprise team has definately got to be Williston. There picthing well, there offensive has come alive, and they have a solid defense. But you can't forget about Frenzel and Dickinson.

I would like to get your thoughts on this.
Last edited by eugenedinsmoe on Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
eugenedinsmoe

Postby Strike3? » Tue May 01, 2007 6:18 pm

eugenedinsmoe wrote:Most people would say its the wood bats but i disagree. I believe that some of thier struggles fall on thier coach Pete Stenberg.  Pete needs to realize that pitchers get tired.  When Minot played Dickinson, they had them beat, but Pete kept Zac Elgie in the game when you could tell he was definately getting tired.  Because of that Dickinson comes back and beats minot. Minot has also struggled offensively.  One of the biggest disappoints has to be Zac Elgie.  He isn't patient at the plate.  He is swinging at the first pitch, and hiting lots of pop-flys. Don't get me wrong zac is a great athlete but if he wants to succeed he needs to be more patient.  Once he figures that out  he will be deangerous once agin.

I think the surprise team has definately got to be Williston. There picthing well, there offensive has come alive, and they have a solid defense.

Pete Stenberg is a great coach.. I wouldnt be putting him down he knows what hes doing. Minot hasnt been doing as good as predicted but there is no doubt there gonna be competing for the championship this year. Almost all their players started on the team last year that took the legion championship. They know how to get it done and there going to be tough. Elgie will come around.

Williston is definately off to a great start. If they keep it up there gonna be tough to beat.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Strike3? wrote:
eugenedinsmoe wrote:Most people would say its the wood bats but i disagree. I believe that some of thier struggles fall on thier coach Pete Stenberg.  Pete needs to realize that pitchers get tired.  When Minot played Dickinson, they had them beat, but Pete kept Zac Elgie in the game when you could tell he was definately getting tired.  Because of that Dickinson comes back and beats minot. Minot has also struggled offensively.  One of the biggest disappoints has to be Zac Elgie.  He isn't patient at the plate.  He is swinging at the first pitch, and hiting lots of pop-flys. Don't get me wrong zac is a great athlete but if he wants to succeed he needs to be more patient.  Once he figures that out  he will be deangerous once agin.

I think the surprise team has definately got to be Williston. There picthing well, there offensive has come alive, and they have a solid defense.

Pete Stenberg is a great coach.. I wouldnt be putting him down he knows what hes doing. Minot hasnt been doing as good as predicted but there is no doubt there gonna be competing for the championship this year. Almost all their players started on the team last year that took the legion championship. They know how to get it done and there going to be tough. Elgie will come around.

Williston is definately off to a great start. If they keep it up there gonna be tough to beat.

I would buy into the wood bat arguement. Whoever adjusts the best, and limits their strikeouts, will win games this year.  This isn't just limited to Minot in the west.  In the East, North and South are both not living up to the pre-season hype.  Don't take that the wrong way, because they still are very good ball clubs but... Wood bats are the great equalizer this year.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eugenedinsmoe » Tue May 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Wood bats does seperate the good hitters from the bad hitters.
eugenedinsmoe

Postby Willy » Wed May 02, 2007 5:16 am

Why is Minot losing a few games this year?  Two words:  NO LUNDY  He alone, was the difference between winning and losing many games.  Minot is still a good team, but Lundy was a difference maker.  Don't underestimate what he did for that team.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed May 02, 2007 6:37 am

Maybe you shuold volunteer to coach since you seem to know more.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby eugenedinsmoe » Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 am

Mr. Stenberg is a great coach. That's why he's been the coach of the year the past two years. It's just sometimes he doesn't make the right move, but he is still a great coach.
Last edited by eugenedinsmoe on Wed May 02, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
eugenedinsmoe

Postby highheat » Wed May 02, 2007 7:45 am

you cant put a teams issues on the coach. for instance, yes the coach does decide who goes in to pitch but its up to the pitcher to say "hey, im tired, put somebody else in"
highheat

Postby eugenedinsmoe » Wed May 02, 2007 7:51 am

Sometimes the coach has to do whats best for thier team regardless of what the picther thinks.
eugenedinsmoe

Postby brownbomber » Wed May 02, 2007 2:27 pm

yeah but he takes him out and the kid who gets put in doesnt do his job who does that fall on, the coach , so you cant win em all
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby keepinitreal » Wed May 02, 2007 2:56 pm

Minot's baseball program is a lot like the Central hockey program.  Every year they seem to be at state and I think this year will be no different.  During the 2005-06 hockey season we weren't a top four team all year but we survived EDC and ended up placing 3rd at state.  I see the same happening for the Magicians, unless of course they draw the Knights in the first round :P.
keepinitreal

Postby Number7 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:56 pm

keepinitreal wrote:Minot's baseball program is a lot like the Central hockey program.  Every year they seem to be at state and I think this year will be no different.  During the 2005-06 hockey season we weren't a top four team all year but we survived EDC and ended up placing 3rd at state.  I see the same happening for the Magicians, unless of course they draw the Knights in the first round :P.

That bears little to nor resemblence to the hockey scenario you gave us all.  Minot is a top 4 team and will make it to state as one of the top two seeds in the west.  Not everything relates to or has to do with GF Central.  And if Minot did draw central in this first round, they would get the W.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSUGrad » Wed May 02, 2007 7:01 pm

Central didn't make it to state this year in hockey.
NDSUGrad
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:06 pm

NDSUGrad wrote:Central didn't make it to state this year in hockey.

he was talking abotu last season, hold on he probably would have jumped down your throat there.  Your welcome for saving you.  But this year I believe Central lost the season series to West Fargo in hockey.  Ouch that has to hurt a so called "power house" like the great Central hockey program.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby sen_scrub » Wed May 02, 2007 8:45 pm

so why exactly are you guys talkin about hockey. pretty sure we should be discussing minot or just baseball in general
sen_scrub
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsfan1989 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:16 am

Yeah Minot is still good enugh to be a threat...But I did think it was funny how williston was ranked so low at the start of the season...They have strong pitching and swing the bat pretty well.
sportsfan1989

Postby jkaiz » Thu May 03, 2007 4:08 pm

sportsfan1989 wrote:Yeah Minot is still good enugh to be a threat
that is totally true, anybody can win at wda, edc, and state, doesnt matter how they did during the year... well most can ;)
Last edited by jkaiz on Thu May 03, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkaiz

Postby GFRR99 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:15 pm

jkaiz wrote:
sportsfan1989 wrote:Yeah Minot is still good enugh to be a threat
that is totally true, anybody can win at wda, edc, and state, doesnt matter how they did during the year... well most can ;)

not central :shock:
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball30 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:37 pm

keepinitreal wrote:Minot's baseball program is a lot like the Central hockey program.  Every year they seem to be at state and I think this year will be no different.  During the 2005-06 hockey season we weren't a top four team all year but we survived EDC and ended up placing 3rd at state.  I see the same happening for the Magicians, unless of course they draw the Knights in the first round :P.

why dont they call this site www.northdakotabragupmyownteam.com... because there is a lot of that on here and it gets so so so very old..
baseball30

Postby ndfootball » Fri May 04, 2007 7:16 am

Minot is very overrated.  Elgie hasnt hit any homers this year and is the most washed up player in the state.  I guess he gets corked bats but it isnt helping.
ndfootball

Postby b-baller » Fri May 04, 2007 3:40 pm

Willy wrote:Why is Minot losing a few games this year?  Two words:  NO LUNDY  He alone, was the difference between winning and losing many games.  Minot is still a good team, but Lundy was a difference maker.  Don't underestimate what he did for that team.

Couldn't agree more.  You can't lose a player like Lundy and expect to be as good.
b-baller

Postby ahhhh » Fri May 04, 2007 5:30 pm

i think minot is a good team
ahhhh

Postby eugenedinsmoe » Sat May 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I agree but dickinson is better
eugenedinsmoe

Postby dodgerfan » Sun May 06, 2007 7:05 pm

eugenedinsmoe wrote:I agree but dickinson is better

of course you do, and in no way are you bias
dodgerfan

Postby eugenedinsmoe » Mon May 07, 2007 11:34 am