2014 highschool/legion season

2014 highschool/legion season

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm

What's your thoughts on the upcoming season?
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2014 highschool/legion season

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:05 pm

This season i believe will be a season unlike recent seasons. Past seasons we have had dominating senior classes but this year i think it will be the Juniors/Sophomores/Freshman that take control of the year (for the most part)
In no particular order this is what i think will happen in the East

Fargo South: Has a ton of experience in the Senior class but do not think they have enough talent to compete for a State title, should still be a good year for the Bruins.

Fargo North: Has potentially the two best seniors in Ian Schultz and Seth Amundson. Also a lot of talent at the Junior class, this team will compete with every team in the state and could have a good chance this year.

Fargo Shanley: They will be good this year, only lost 2 seniors in Voss and Conant. Even though Voss was the Ace they still have a very very strong senior class and a potential Senior Athlete of the Year in Jake Salentine. Should be another run for the Back to Back Title this year.

Fargo Davies: lost a TON of talent from the 2013 senior class. Basically the whole starting 9 besides 2 players are gone, plus some. Although they have a very small senior class this year, they do have a lot of talent in their Juniors. Should be a very interesting year for Davies, do not sleep on them this year though.

West Fargo: The packers also lost a lot of talent from the 2013 senior class, but do have some good young talent. Do not think they will make the State Tournament however, just too much talent everywhere else and not enough for the packers. But you never know they always show up to play.

Grand Forks RR: Should be a solid team again this year. Lost some guys, but they have always been a good baseball team. Regimbal should lead the team this year and they could also make a surprise run at the title, you just never know in baseball.

Grand Forks Central: Although they are Central and seem to not have strong athletics in the recent years, i believe that their baseball team is the best Boy sport the school has. They surprised most everyone last year by grabbing the 2 seed in the EDC tourney, but then quickly went 0-2 end of season. Lots of young talent on the team and could be tougher than teams will give them credit for.

Whapeton: They will struggle a lot this year. Their whole team will be carried by the arm of Brock Lingen, that is if they don't over use him like Whapeton usually does with their Ace's. They will not be too good this year.

Valley City: Bad.... just bad. They finally won their first class A game last year. Ill be very surprised if they win more than 3 games this year.

Just my opinions, feel free to add your own ideas about the season. If anyone wants to do the WDA feel free, not to aware about the West baseball teams.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:36 pm

NdSportsFan55 wrote:This season i believe will be a season unlike recent seasons. Past seasons we have had dominating senior classes but this year i think it will be the Juniors/Sophomores/Freshman that take control of the year (for the most part)
In no particular order this is what i think will happen in the East

Fargo South: Has a ton of experience in the Senior class but do not think they have enough talent to compete for a State title, should still be a good year for the Bruins.

Fargo North: Has potentially the two best seniors in Ian Schultz and Seth Amundson. Also a lot of talent at the Junior class, this team will compete with every team in the state and could have a good chance this year.

Fargo Shanley: They will be good this year, only lost 2 seniors in Voss and Conant. Even though Voss was the Ace they still have a very very strong senior class and a potential Senior Athlete of the Year in Jake Salentine. Should be another run for the Back to Back Title this year.

Fargo Davies: lost a TON of talent from the 2013 senior class. Basically the whole starting 9 besides 2 players are gone, plus some. Although they have a very small senior class this year, they do have a lot of talent in their Juniors. Should be a very interesting year for Davies, do not sleep on them this year though.

West Fargo: The packers also lost a lot of talent from the 2013 senior class, but do have some good young talent. Do not think they will make the State Tournament however, just too much talent everywhere else and not enough for the packers. But you never know they always show up to play.

Grand Forks RR: Should be a solid team again this year. Lost some guys, but they have always been a good baseball team. Regimbal should lead the team this year and they could also make a surprise run at the title, you just never know in baseball.

Grand Forks Central: Although they are Central and seem to not have strong athletics in the recent years, i believe that their baseball team is the best Boy sport the school has. They surprised most everyone last year by grabbing the 2 seed in the EDC tourney, but then quickly went 0-2 end of season. Lots of young talent on the team and could be tougher than teams will give them credit for.

Whapeton: They will struggle a lot this year. Their whole team will be carried by the arm of Brock Lingen, that is if they don't over use him like Whapeton usually does with their Ace's. They will not be too good this year.

Valley City: Bad.... just bad. They finally won their first class A game last year. Ill be very surprised if they win more than 3 games this year.

Just my opinions, feel free to add your own ideas about the season. If anyone wants to do the WDA feel free, not to aware about the West baseball teams.

I think you covered high school baseball very thoroughly, my question is what's your thoughts on legion baseball, if you have any.
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:51 pm

For the Legion Season:
I think Fargo Post 2 will be the state champs once again. I've heard that some kids that were Seniors in 2013 are coming back once again for the summer, which will make them a very good team once again. I've heard that there will not be very many roster spots open for the Post 2 team. When it comes to the Central Plains Regional, which they get another automatic bid due to it being hosted at Jack Williams Stadium, they really need pitching to step up and need to cut down on the errors if they have any chance of winning that.
As for other Legion teams
Bismarck will be Fargo's toughest competitor, a ton of talent is coming out of Bismarck and they will play very good baseball during the 2014 summer. If Fargo does not win State it will be Bismarck.
Grand Forks will be good, if i remember Chaise Anderson and Mahoney are still able to come back due to their age. Should be a solid team.
Mandan is Mandan, shouldn't be hard to beat them this summer.
Williston not too sure about them, shouldn't be that bad but also should not be that good either.
Dickinson will be a good team, depending on who can come back to play another year, still they seem to prove to be a pesky team no matter who they put on the field.
Minot is an interesting team. They will be a good team this year. The Senior class i believe is a talented group of guys. They will possibly Contend with Fargo, Bismarck and Grand Forks for State.
West Fargo as a stated with their High School team have lost a lot of guys, depending if Cameran Bonnema, Ben Huber and Kory Wolden can come back they will not be as strong as recent years. Losing Andy Young from now on hurts for their offensive production.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchool » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:06 pm

It will be interesting to see where Post 2 falls with the new post in Fargo. I know the two entities will be getting together soon to draw lines that will require kids to play for one or the other. Should be interesting!!!
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby NorthShore » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Minot lost two regulars from last years high school team and should be in the hunt for the WDA. Legion team might struggle having lost their top pitcher along with 1-5 in the batting order.
NorthShore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Just wondering, i know some ball players from Minot, but not too sure on who goes to Minot High and who goes to Bishop Ryan. Care to answer my question?
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:41 am

NdSportsFan55 wrote:Just wondering, i know some ball players from Minot, but not too sure on who goes to Minot High and who goes to Bishop Ryan. Care to answer my question?

Austin Eggl (SS) and Jake Magnuson (C) are the only two that go to Ryan. The rest are Minot kids.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 pm

ok thank you!
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:57 am

OldSchool wrote:It will be interesting to see where Post 2 falls with the new post in Fargo. I know the two entities will be getting together soon to draw lines that will require kids to play for one or the other. Should be interesting!!!

What do you mean draw lines?? I don't think Legion is like High School, it doesn't matter where you live, you can choose whatever Legion program that you want to play for.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hockey17football27 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Fargo North SHOULD win state this year... they are returning a ton of players from last year and they seemed very strong last year from what I saw. Also they have Mitch Christianson coming up as a soph., the kid is unbelievable at the sport. He pitches upper 90's and hit over 20+ homers last year. Watch out for him to go on to the next level (college) (MLB?)
Hockey17football27
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Hockey17football27 wrote:Fargo North SHOULD win state this year... they are returning a ton of players from last year and they seemed very strong last year from what I saw. Also they have Mitch Christianson coming up as a soph., the kid is unbelievable at the sport. He pitches upper 90's and hit over 20+ homers last year. Watch out for him to go on to the next level (college) (MLB?)

um...no he doesn't.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Officially been announced that there will be a new Legion team out of Fargo. The Legion is out of NDSU and they will be the Post 400 Metros. Their season will consist of 25-30 games and will compete in class A. Home field will be at Bennett Elementary where Fargo South plays their High School games. Open boundaries in Fargo will mean kids can choose who they want to play Legion ball for.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseballlover35 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 pm

baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchool » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 pm

NdSportsFan55 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:It will be interesting to see where Post 2 falls with the new post in Fargo. I know the two entities will be getting together soon to draw lines that will require kids to play for one or the other. Should be interesting!!!

What do you mean draw lines?? I don't think Legion is like High School, it doesn't matter where you live, you can choose whatever Legion program that you want to play for.

Legion is similar to high school. Larger communities do draw lines, and it is not a free for all. For example, a Casselton kid can't just go play in Fargo, or Hillsboro because they are better. In order to leave one post and play for another a player must be granted a release by his home post.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 am

OldSchool wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:

Legion is similar to high school. Larger communities do draw lines, and it is not a free for all. For example, a Casselton kid can't just go play in Fargo, or Hillsboro because they are better. In order to leave one post and play for another a player must be granted a release by his home post.

Well i mean that's an obvious given. I believe chairmans from both Posts are meeting after this year to discuss if lines will be drawn. My guess is that there will be no lines drawn for the Fargo players. Original Post 2 kids shouldn't have to change teams because this new team was created.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 pm

NdSportsFan55 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:

Well i mean that's an obvious given. I believe chairmans from both Posts are meeting after this year to discuss if lines will be drawn. My guess is that there will be no lines drawn for the Fargo players. Original Post 2 kids shouldn't have to change teams because this new team was created.

Probably just add in a grandfather clause. Younger kids will probably be divided. It would kinda defeat the purpose of the new team if they have free reign to choose.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchool » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Indy5 wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:

Probably just add in a grandfather clause. Younger kids will probably be divided. It would kinda defeat the purpose of the new team if they have free reign to choose.

Exactly Indy5...With a new Post created, and Fargo's growing population, they will have to draw lines at some point. Every kid in Fargo is an original Post 2 player. NDsportsfan55, so if I am understanding you right.....take for example Sioux Falls they have at least four different posts. Do you think that those kids get to pick and choose where they want to play??? Absolutely not, they draw lines.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Very good points. You have changed my outlook on this subject. I guess it is only a matter of time before the lines are drawn. The only thing that i could see as being a factor of the lines not being drawn is that the new post (Post 400) will not be playing as many games as Post 2. Post 400 will only be playing around 30 games in the season opposed to Post 2's 60 some games a season. Some kids might want to play more games than not. That's the only thing that could be limiting the decision, but it will be highly unlikely that lines won't be drawn just for that reason.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseballlover35 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am

Any preseason high school favorites ?
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseballlover35 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 am

State
The preseason state rankings (coaches poll).
1. Minot
2. Bismarck High
3. Grand Forks Red River
4. Dickinson
5. Fargo Shanley
6. Fargo North
7. Bismarck Century
8. West Fargo

I think the reason why Minot is picked #1 is the fact it has a great senior class lead by ace Demitri Zafra and power hitter Kolton Larson. Very talented group! But who knows it's just preseason.
baseballlover35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hockey17football27 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:12 pm

High School EDC:
1. Valley City
2. Fargo North
3. Whapeton
4. Central
5. Red River
6. West Fargo
7. Fargo South
8,9 toss up between Davies and Shanley
Hockey17football27
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:36 pm

hahaha good joke
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 pm

NdSportsFan55 wrote:For the Legion Season:
I think Fargo Post 2 will be the state champs once again. I've heard that some kids that were Seniors in 2013 are coming back once again for the summer, which will make them a very good team once again. I've heard that there will not be very many roster spots open for the Post 2 team. When it comes to the Central Plains Regional, which they get another automatic bid due to it being hosted at Jack Williams Stadium, they really need pitching to step up and need to cut down on the errors if they have any chance of winning that.
Bismarck will be Fargo's toughest competitor, a ton of talent is coming out of Bismarck and they will play very good baseball during the 2014 summer. If Fargo does not win State it will be Bismarck.
Grand Forks will be good, if i remember Chaise Anderson and Mahoney are still able to come back due to their age. Should be a solid team.
Williston not too sure about them, shouldn't be that bad but also should not be that good either.
Dickinson will be a good team, depending on who can come back to play another year, still they seem to prove to be a pesky team no matter who they put on the field.
Minot is an interesting team. They will be a good team this year. The Senior class i believe is a talented group of guys. They will possibly Contend with Fargo, Bismarck and Grand Forks for State.
West Fargo as a stated with their High School team have lost a lot of guys, depending if Cameran Bonnema, Ben Huber and Kory Wolden can come back they will not be as strong as recent years. Losing Andy Young from now on hurts for their offensive production.

Sounds like post 2 are having quite a few college players returning, could make a huge difference.
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Postby NdSportsFan55 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Ndbaseball999 wrote:
NdSportsFan55 wrote:For the Legion Season:

Sounds like post 2 are having quite a few college players returning, could make a huge difference.

Post 2 is not having as many college kids returning than it was once thought. In fact I have heard that only 2 kids from last years team that are coming back. Those two kids are Gunnar Linstead (M-State Fergus Falls) and Seth Tollefson (Mayville State). Those others that were able to come back are going off to play Amatuer baseball.
NdSportsFan55
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Class A