Best player in the state

The teams in Class AAA

Postby footballguy09 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:45 pm

First off horner did not attend sioux camp. secondly elgie is one of the most over hyped players in the state. The only reason people think he is so great is because of his other two sports. Being the best baseball player in the state doesnt make you the best football player.
footballguy09
 

Postby pepsi123 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:19 pm

i would have to agree and say elgie is much over rated. when he plays teams that are godd he doesnt have the best games. correct me if im wrong but didnt he throw three pics in the state championship? and was sacked like five times?
pepsi123
 

Postby Ming01 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:33 pm

Well, I'll take Elgie over plenty of other QB's in this state...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby King James » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:25 am

i'd take wentz, herauf, and thorton before elgie. wentz is just straight up good, if herauf had a line he'd be recognized a lot better, and thorton is so athletic, and has a great arm and good at throwin on the run
Wheres the elbow
User avatar
King James
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:36 pm

Postby mc696 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:33 pm

The camp was ndsu not und my fault on the confusion my son attended both. 

But my point about Elgie is not just his play as a QB hes a fine DB and probably where he fits on the next level if football ends up being his choice.  And when you are looking at best player in state I feel both sides of the ball are part of it.  I dont see it all how a HS player is over hyped since they in general get very little singled out press minus game cap articles and some preseason stuff. 

And when it comes down to it there are good players on a lot of the states teams but what is a deciding factor is winning, in choosing the best and looking at his 3 years and baring a wierd finish 2 WDA championships.  Which measures up to the production we have seen to this point out of Horner.

Horner has a explosiveness I dont think anyone else has and that ability is winning games for a good team.  Elgie like all HS QBs has a lot of flaws and its much easier to pick on interceptions and problems, I doubt any in the state have had more than one or 2 flawless type games. But all around play your seeing from both athletes is been at a very high level, and the teams records show that.   Much as you may rate QB from other schools higher is understandable but without him least this year minot probably wouldnt have beat them.

 

pick away
mc696
 

Postby Sportshound » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:40 am

Josh Horner-- Top player in ND Football period.

Here it is-- My Take on it:

Horner-- well over 1,000 yds.

Half as many carries as the next closest guy (in yards) in the East in Rushing totals.

He is the deadliest scorer in Football history in ND. half the times he is kicked too(in the past two yrs) on Punts and Kick-offs-- he takes it to the house. 50% of the time! That is better than Hester!

Every what-- 3 times he carries the ball he scores-- no matter--  3yarder-yes/ 30 yarder-yes/ 60 yarder-yes/ 80 yarder-yes--- get the drift? He is scary-good.

He is the best player hands down. Elgi-- Yes Very good--  Not like Horner-- others in the state--good--Not like Horner...

I have seen South play. The Line is Good--Not great. The best players on that line are first yr. starters-- young and hungry-- but not all-state guys like Solum had.

Plus more guys go two ways for South than last yr.--

Solum didn't score every 3rd time he touched the ball.

Player of the yr. all ready-- Josh Horner!
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:27 am
Location: North Dakota,USA

Postby King James » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:37 pm

so he is more of a threat to score than weston dressler was? he went for 1500 yards and like 35-40 TDs his senior year
Wheres the elbow
User avatar
King James
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:36 pm

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm

If I'm not mistaken I'd expect Horner to beat 1500 yrds this year (If he hasn't already) and he would have quite a bit more if South played him more than 2-3 quarters a game.
Image
User avatar
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: USA

Postby squeak63 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:43 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:If I'm not mistaken I'd expect Horner to beat 1500 yrds this year (If he hasn't already) and he would have quite a bit more if South played him more than 2-3 quarters a game.

same goes for dressler they blew out pretty much every team in the wda that year.... also weston had 2100yds+change with 40 td's....going into fridays game has 1161 yds and 19 td's not i dont know what he did friday but if we average it out for 5 weeks (saying they make the state title game) he will have to rush for 1000 yds (200/game) and 21 td's (4.2/game)... could he do it? probably, will he do it... its going to be close but he is going to have to have some big games in the playoffs when they will have to play better opponents
Last edited by squeak63 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
User avatar
squeak63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Bismarck, ,

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:59 pm

sqeak63 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:If I'm not mistaken I'd expect Horner to beat 1500 yrds this year (If he hasn't already) and he would have quite a bit more if South played him more than 2-3 quarters a game.

same goes for dressler they blew out pretty much every team in the wda that year.... also weston had 2100yds+change with 40 td's....horner right now has 1161 yds and 19 td's so if south makes it to the title game he will play 4 games he will have to rush for 1000 yds (234.75/game) and 21 td's (5.25/game)... could he do it? probably, will he do it... i dont see it happening
I would like to see how many touches Dressler got....I think Dressler is better, but it would be interesting to se.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
User avatar
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Eastern North Dakota, ,

Postby squeak63 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:01 pm

hey my bad on that the wehbsite i got horners stats off of was before there game last week so i changed the averages to make it through 5 games.... if someone would let me know how he did thursday/friday i could change it
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
User avatar
squeak63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Bismarck, ,

Postby squeak63 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Baller wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:If I'm not mistaken I'd expect Horner to beat 1500 yrds this year (If he hasn't already) and he would have quite a bit more if South played him more than 2-3 quarters a game.

same goes for dressler they blew out pretty much every team in the wda that year.... also weston had 2100yds+change with 40 td's....horner right now has 1161 yds and 19 td's so if south makes it to the title game he will play 4 games he will have to rush for 1000 yds (234.75/game) and 21 td's (5.25/game)... could he do it? probably, will he do it... i dont see it happening
I would like to see how many touches Dressler got....I think Dressler is better, but it would be interesting to se.

weston did have 229 carries which is much much more then horner will end up with but also dressler ended up having 406 recieving yards on 21 catches... which makes him way more of a duel threat then horner
Last edited by squeak63 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
User avatar
squeak63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Bismarck, ,

Postby adriana » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:12 pm

I agree that South's line isnt what it was last year, but they must be doing something right.  Horner is capable of being better than Solum hands down, but the seasons not over yet.  Based on what he's already accomplished, he's well on his way.  He's definitely the best player in the state.  It'd be great if he played for NDSU...they could really use him. 
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
User avatar
adriana
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am
Location: USA

Postby pepsi123 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:54 am

Tonight is South vs North. my prediction for horner is ten carries 252 yards 3 tds. I am very curious to see if there is a defense in the state the can really stop him.
pepsi123
 

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:11 pm

pepsi123 wrote:Tonight is South vs North. my prediction for horner is ten carries 252 yards 3 tds. I am very curious to see if there is a defense in the state the can really stop him.
Why the 2?
:P
Image
User avatar
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: USA

Postby trackbbfan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:46 am

Looks like North found a way to contain Horner...South just used their other weapons.

Horner: rushing 13-59 receiving 1-30 1 td
trackbbfan
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 am

Postby gf_siouxfan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Alright now that we all now Horner is one of the top dogs why dont we talk about some other people.
gf_siouxfan
 

Postby trackbbfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 am

I agree!!
trackbbfan
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 am

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:03 am

Why bother the kid is the best player in the state hands down are you 2 jelous you or your kids anrt getting any face time
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Postby trackbbfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:26 am

I agree he is the best in the state.....?!? What else is there to day about him?
trackbbfan
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 am

Postby Roye » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:56 am

King James wrote:i'd take wentz, herauf, and thorton before elgie. wentz is just straight up good, if herauf had a line he'd be recognized a lot better, and thorton is so athletic, and has a great arm and good at throwin on the run

i agree with you on Wentz in my opinion the best qb is state, very good. but i wouldnt go so far as to say herauf or esley is as good as elgie. herauf hasnt proved anything and couldnt lead his team past jamestown to make playoffs and esley is to inconsistent to be considered better than elgie. see how he does in playoffs then compare
Roye
 

Postby bigtuna21 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:07 am

where will horner go to college at
bigtuna21
 

Re: Best player in the state

Postby squeak63 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Heusen19 wrote:Brian Matthews - Fargo South
6ft 210
40 time-4.53 Bench-315 Squat-560(school record)
He's restrained from getting any carries because of Horner. Much like Horner was of Catlin Solum last year except he gets even less carries. Coach Feeny refuses to give him an opportunity because Horner is getting offers from Big 10 schools(mainly Michigan) and wants him to get as many carries as possible to maximize his chances. It's mindblowing given all the talent Matthews shows in practice. He's better in almost all aspects and easily the best without question.

SQUAT - Since 2004
RANK NAME WEIGHT
1 Josh Horner 488
2 Weston Pochardt 488
3 Erik Carlson 477
4 Austin Richard 465
4 Jerad Wald 454
4 David Jones 448
7 Zach Kollman 448
8 Alex Hooey 444
9 Elliot McCloud 442
10 Tyler Price 439

strait from souths website.... i am sure coach feeny didn't put him on there because he doesn't want him to get recognized?
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
User avatar
squeak63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Bismarck, ,

Re: Best player in the state

Postby Football4ever » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:45 am

brian mathews?

more like 5'8" 140
40:4.9 bench:135 squat:250

cute though!
Football4ever
 

Re: Best player in the state

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:21 am

Heusen19 wrote:Brian Matthews - Fargo South
6ft 210
40 time-4.53 Bench-315 Squat-560(school record)
He's restrained from getting any carries because of Horner. Much like Horner was of Catlin Solum last year except he gets even less carries. Coach Feeny refuses to give him an opportunity because Horner is getting offers from Big 10 schools(mainly Michigan) and wants him to get as many carries as possible to maximize his chances. It's mindblowing given all the talent Matthews shows in practice. He's better in almost all aspects and easily the best without question.




BS on everythng you just said
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to AAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests