2014 Postseason

The teams in Class AAA

Re: 2014 Postseason

Postby NorthShore » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:35 pm

TheTruthHurts wrote:Guys....
1) Who care, the weather will be fine.
2)WF and Davies have never played playoff games there before and I doubt want to.
3)South has only played games there in the past if weather is terrible or it benefited them speed wise...

End of story.

Two years ago West Fargo beat Minot 21-14 in a quarterfinal game at the dome, Fargo South beat Dickinson the game before also in the dome. Weather was in the 50's, no snow or rain.
NorthShore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:49 pm

NorthShore wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote:Guys....
1) Who care, the weather will be fine.
2)WF and Davies have never played playoff games there before and I doubt want to.
3)South has only played games there in the past if weather is terrible or it benefited them speed wise...

End of story.

Two years ago West Fargo beat Minot 21-14 in a quarterfinal game at the dome, Fargo South beat Dickinson the game before also in the dome. Weather was in the 50's, no snow or rain.

I think the wind that night was part of the reason for that switch inside.

The weather will be just fine this weekend and both Davies & WF should look forward to solid crowds
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby mindovermatter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 pm

bisonfaithful wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote:
TheSportTruth wrote:Friday, October 31st
G1: W4 Dickinson (3-5) @ E1 Fargo Davies (8-1) - 7:00pm
G2: E3 Fargo South (7-2) @ W2 Century (4-4) - 4:30pm (Bowl)
G3: E4 GF Red River (6-3) @ W1 Bismarck (8-0) - 7:30pm (Bowl)
G4: W3 Minot (5-3) @ E2 West Fargo (6-3) - 7:00pm

G1 Although Dickinson is a decent team, they are still the weakest team in the playoffs. They might hang early on, but Davies will pull away a win by 3 or 4 TD's. 35-14

G2 Century keeps this close only if Kraft can hit his receivers and breaks a few runs of his own. Century can not stop the run so JJ will get his and more. Century will be Century(not getting the most out of their players)...South wins 40-21.

G3 Red Rivers only chance is to exploit the Demons pass defense as RR had success the first time they played to start the season. However I don't think RR's defense can stop the Demon offense. So unless RR has an amazing pass attack the Demons will win this one. 35-14

G4 West Fargo has the best defense in the East and arguably second only to the Demons in the state. Minot has the weapons to beat WF, but like Century, they have trouble getting the most out of their talent.WF defense will make the play. Minot will squander opportunities and lose to WF. 28-21

The truth hurts sometimes and these are the best and most accurate descriptions I've seen.

To the guy who said Davies struggles with the pass..what does that have to do with Dickinson? They aren't even top 6 in the west for passing yards or passing TD's? It's a pistol offense of spread and read option. Minot and Century both seem to have problems getting the most out of their talent and I believe they will both go down in the opening rounds too. Crazy to think that South should have lost to Red River this season too if not for some late game heroics of Double J and they would actually be the 4 seed traveling to play Bismarck High instead... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am the guy who said Davies struggles against the pass. I don't know anything about Dickinson's offense but i just assumed they had some type of passing game with their WR (Blackwell?) that is committed to UND this year. If they can't pass then they are screwed.

I don't know how you can just rely on one player. Sure he is a D1 recuit but Dickinson has more to that. It didn't just take Blackwell to take down Century did it? No. I didn't think so. I believe that Dickinson has a strong linebacker crew with Riley Schmaltz leading them and Dillon Clark and Kass Dvorak too. Ben Twist is a shut down cornerback against Cyril from Century and Jon Thaurresen from B High. Even though he doesn't have any interception, which mean the QB's are scared/respecting not to through to his side. The reason why their other DB and SS has 2-3 int each (Blackwell & Heckaman). I believe it will take Dickinson a team effort like they put against Century to win the game against Davies. It was 0-0 at half against Minot. It was just their offense couldn't put a drive togheter.
mindovermatter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby caserace0710 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 am

Class AAA 1st Round Predictions

Fargo Davies 56, Dickinson 14
Fargo South 49, Bismarck Century 42
Bismarck 55, Grand Forks Red River 7
West Fargo 24, Minot 10
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:31 pm

G1: W4 Dickinson (3-5) @ E1 Fargo Davies (8-1) - 40-6
G2: E3 Fargo South (7-2) @ W2 Century (4-4) - 34-12
G3: E4 GF Red River (6-3) @ W1 Bismarck (8-0) - 38-13
G4: W3 Minot (5-3) @ E2 West Fargo (6-3) - 28-24
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:W3 Minot 24 @ E2 West Fargo 8

Minot did something in this game that they haven't done in a while. Minot use to play about 8 guys both ways. But in this game, they weren't even close to that number ( I think). There were some guys on the line that hardly got any time on varsity this year, but they were put in to keep guys fresh. It Showed on the scoreboard.

Also players that usually play 2 positions, just stayed at 1. ex. Gorney played rb , Danelson played lb etc.

In past years, the same players would have played almost the entire game.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby TheTruthHurts » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:55 am

What does Gorney normally play on D? He's softer than my belly anyways and don't remember him on the defensive side of the ball when I saw him in person anyways...
TheTruthHurts
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:26 pm

TheTruthHurts wrote:What does Gorney normally play on D? He's softer than my belly anyways and don't remember him on the defensive side of the ball when I saw him in person anyways...

He normally plays linebacker. In the WF game, he was running through tackles ( on the 2nd best defense in the state), something JJ apparently couldn't do against them
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby NorthShore » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:24 pm

go maji wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote:What does Gorney normally play on D? He's softer than my belly anyways and don't remember him on the defensive side of the ball when I saw him in person anyways...

He normally plays linebacker. In the WF game, he was running through tackles ( on the 2nd best defense in the state), something JJ apparently couldn't do against them

Gorney played some linebacker last year and less this year, Minot has some depth at the position so using him predominately on offense. He had 19 rushes for 77 yards against West Fargo with a lot of short and minus yardage gains on off tackle plays. Minot should be using him on their jet sweep and flanker screen plays to utilize his speed on the edges, Mack can run the dive plays off the sweep. Alex Mack is athletic, good speed, and tough as nails. Might surprise the coaches if they'd try something different. otherwise it will be another Minot thumping by the Demons!
NorthShore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby impartialFBfan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Gorney doesn't run through tackles he runs around them or curls up in the fetal position on contact. Don't think he has played any significant defense for many games. Doesn't like contact. Gorney would be great at running their "jet" sweep. He's a speed guy. Sounds like Mack had some big runs on special teams. He might be the changeup they need to beat BHS. Gonna be tough to win on the road anyway. They can't run the same 5 plays and think they will beat BHS.
impartialFBfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:41 pm

Semifinal Predictions:
Fargo South def. Fargo Davies 57-44
Bismarck def. Minot 42-14
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bisonfaithful » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Anyone know the record for total offensive yards in a game? Wondering if it will be around 1500 for the South/Davies game?
bisonfaithful
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TheTruthHurts » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Ha! It very well could be after that first go round. What was the total that first game? What's the O/U of inside kicks between the 2 teams as well? I'll say 5...I think South will win this one.
TheTruthHurts
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonfaithful » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:30 pm

I am picking south also. If they blitz on every other play and put some pressure on the QB it will help. He didn't seem to enjoy scrambling that much when we played them. Should be a fun track meet to watch. Then I just don't think South will move the ball that well against Biz. my guess is Biz will win big in the championship.
bisonfaithful
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sniper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:56 pm

G5: E3 Fargo South (8-2) @ E1 Fargo Davies (9-1) 45-36
G6: W3 Minot (6-3) @ W1 Bismarck (9-0) 44-20
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:35 am

Davies by 14
Bismarck by 28
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 am

impartialFBfan wrote: They can't run the same 5 plays and think they will beat BHS.

Story of Holman's career.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheSportTruth » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Friday, November 7th

G5: E3 Fargo South (8-2) @ E1 Fargo Davies (9-1)
G6: W3 Minot (6-3) @ W1 Bismarck (9-0)

G5 I believe this game will very similar to their first...a track meet. Playoff records for offense yards, points scored, points allowed, you name it could be the trend in this game. Neither of these teams seem like they play very good defense. Offense first and defense an afterthought. Davies won a come from behind with a two point conversion at the end of the game last meeting. However, I think South will tighten up their defense just enough this week to outlast Davies. South wins by a touchdown 48-40.

G6 This game was a blowout if you looked at just their score from earlier in the year between these two. If you were to look at the video of the game afterwards you would discover that this game is a lot closer than the score suggests. Minot easily dropped two sure TD's and a third dropped pass that would have put them first and goal. All three were before the game got out of hand. I know.. what if's...but they would have changed the game. Minot has plenty of talent to beat Bismarck in their Qb, Gorney, Danielson, Mack, and others. It will require a tweaked game plan with new wrinkles from their last meeting from Holman and his coaches. Most of all, a belief from the players that they can beat the Demons. With this all said, I don't believe it will happen for Minot. Bismarck is simply to well coached. This game will be closer than the first meeting, but BHS wins this one 35-21
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Indy5 wrote:
impartialFBfan wrote: They can't run the same 5 plays and think they will beat BHS.

Story of Holman's career.

It's so painful to watch knowing what their going to run.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby impartialFBfan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:29 pm

EVERY team and coach knows what MHS will run. Both sides of the state. To win they need some wrinkles. Will they have them. Doubtful. Coach seems to play close to the vest. If they get Gorney in the open and get Mack some touches they have a great chance to win. But I fear that won't happen or happen enough.
impartialFBfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Every team knows what BHS and South are going to run as well. There is no fooling anyone in the state.

I would guess if they ran the same 5 plays they would be better off than trying to add crap at this stage of the game... Enjoy the armchair.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby MHSFan50 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:35 am

They need to get their passing game more involved or Bismarck will simply load the box and make it a tough running game for any of the backs. Will be tough if the forecast holds true with 26 mph winds. Getting the wide outs involved is key. Lund is quietly leading the team with about 350 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions. Big strong kid with good speed. Can run past a lot of guys that don't expect that. A win will require a balanced approach that keeps BHS guessing, and the o-line has to handle the blitz effectively. If they can be effective with the pass, it will open things up a little for Gorney and Mack to have some room to work.
MHSFan50
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:18 am

MHSFan50 wrote:They need to get their passing game more involved or Bismarck will simply load the box and make it a tough running game for any of the backs. Will be tough if the forecast holds true with 26 mph winds. Getting the wide outs involved is key. Lund is quietly leading the team with about 350 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions. Big strong kid with good speed. Can run past a lot of guys that don't expect that. A win will require a balanced approach that keeps BHS guessing, and the o-line has to handle the blitz effectively. If they can be effective with the pass, it will open things up a little for Gorney and Mack to have some room to work.

I hate it when they throw screens to Lund every game. Ya, once and a while he'll break one, but most of the time it goes for no gain or worse. You don't throw screens to 6'4 recievers' when you can utilize their height.
The only time they throw it up to lund is when they're inside the 10.
I remember in his freshmen year, he was un-stoppable on deep routes. But I guess the coaches didn't scout that team.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby MHSFan50 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 am

go maji wrote:
MHSFan50 wrote:They need to get their passing game more involved or Bismarck will simply load the box and make it a tough running game for any of the backs. Will be tough if the forecast holds true with 26 mph winds. Getting the wide outs involved is key. Lund is quietly leading the team with about 350 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions. Big strong kid with good speed. Can run past a lot of guys that don't expect that. A win will require a balanced approach that keeps BHS guessing, and the o-line has to handle the blitz effectively. If they can be effective with the pass, it will open things up a little for Gorney and Mack to have some room to work.

I hate it when they throw screens to Lund every game. Ya, once and a while he'll break one, but most of the time it goes for no gain or worse. You don't throw screens to 6'4 recievers' when you can utilize their height.
The only time they throw it up to lund is when they're inside the 10.
I remember in his freshmen year, he was un-stoppable on deep routes. But I guess the coaches didn't scout that team.

Absolutely agreed. His size and speed are under-utilized. On the WR screens, by the time the pass is there the DB's are already up on him and the blockers usually aren't able to get there in time to provide any help. With his speed and size, get him some passes on the run and the results will be very positive. Use the screen as a type of fake like they did in Dickinson where Bischoff was wide open because the DB's bit on the screen. They also aren't utilizing him out of the TE position as much as they have used the TD position in the past. A number of times there is some wide open field behind the LB's because they are playing up for the run. A TE seam route appears to be a play that would work well against a number of teams...might only be once or twice, but might be beneficial for a needed first down, or better.
MHSFan50
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Half time
Bismarck-7
Minot-7

Bismarck went for it 4th and goal at the 9 yard at the end of the half. It was incomplete.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to AAA