Your team...your comments...week 1

The teams in Class AAA

Your team...your comments...week 1

Postby TheSportTruth » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

I have seen Bismarck look better in their first game of the year than they did last night. It is not that they looked bad, I have just seen them better. Missing their eventual starting back (training infractions), Noah Duford was pretty good. Think Maurice Jones-Drew as Noah is 5'7" and 200 lbs and tough to bring down, especially with a head of steam. The defensive and offensive lines seemed played well with only a few breakdowns. A solid bunch that will only get better. As for defense, not even close to last years defense, which was probably the best I have seen in my 30+ years of playing, watching, and coaching this great game of football. With that said, I think the defense will still be pretty good once they get their defensive substitutions set. What struck me as most interesting though was that BHS THREW the ball as much as they ran the ball, 28 times each. Coach Gibson's son, Hayden, needs to hit the open receiver as he missed any number of them through the night. It looks like he can have his choice of 5-6 receivers to throw to. I am sure that the Demons will get back to their pound-n-ground offense with some throwing that we are all accustomed to seeing from them.

In texting with some coaching friends, it sounded like Century looked good and that Minot really looked good.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Re: Your team...your comments...week 1

Postby gomagi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:01 am

I was at the Minot game, and that was the most unusual game I have been to. From the scoreboard not working, to the lightning to the 1 hour delay, to the Minots starting quarterback getting injured in the first half. Now back to the game. Similar to Bismarck, Minot has passed more than I have seen them do in a very long time. Minots quarterback (Alex Yanosko) left injured halfway through the 2nd. It didn't look too serious but I expect him to be ready to go next week. In comes Minots backup and future starter Ben Bolinski. He just takes over where Yanosko left off. Bolinski was 6-10 86 yards. He also had a rollout 30+ yard pass that was called back because of holding. I thought Minots defense would struggle early-on this season. But they came out to play in this one. West Fargo got to the redzone once at the end of the 2nd quarter, but they were stuffed on 4th and 3 at the 6. Another bright spot was Minots kicker, Ben Love. He had two field goals in this game, one from 29 yards out and one from 42. If there was one concern, it would have to be the running game Brady Lampert only got 77 yards on 16 carries. The 4.8 average might not look that bad, but it didn't look consistant.
gomagi
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthShore » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:52 pm

"If there was one concern, it would have to be the running game Brady Lampert only got 77 yards on 16 carries. The 4.8 average might not look that bad, but it didn't look consistant."

Explain please.
NorthShore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gomaji » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:13 pm

NorthShore wrote:If there was one concern, it would have to be the running game Brady Lampert only got 77 yards on 16 carries. The 4.8 average might not look that bad, but it didn't look consistant.

Explain please.[/quote]

I am saying that the year that he had last year, this was a disappointing game for him. One play he would get 7-8 yards the next play he would get stuffed at the line. If He had a run of more than 12 yards, I don't remember it.
gomaji
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthShore » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:47 pm

gomaji wrote:
NorthShore wrote:If there was one concern, it would have to be the running game Brady Lampert only got 77 yards on 16 carries. The 4.8 average might not look that bad, but it didn't look consistant.

Explain please.

I am saying that the year that he had last year, this was a disappointing game for him. One play he would get 7-8 yards the next play he would get stuffed at the line. If He had a run of more than 12 yards, I don't remember it.[/quote]

Yardage and consistency will increase as the new starters in the o-line gain experience. West Fargo over played the run after the playoff game last year, likely the reason the short passing game was successful this year. Gotta take what they give ya!
NorthShore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gomaji » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22 pm

I agree that the line will just get better as the year goes on. The yards will come.
gomaji
NDPreps Reserve

Postby End90 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 am

Minot QB Yanosko out for season, rushing from QB position will be hurt by his loss, RB's will have to pick up the difference. Passing could remain consistent.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby YourCrazy00 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 am

I attended the bismarck game, you can't really go comparing them to last year so quick... They are a brand new team, whose offense didn't turn the ball over once and in the redzone only failed once. They still had 11 more minutes of damage to do, as they were in the redzone when it got called off. As for the defense, 8 new soldiers, 3 forced turnovers, around 40 yards given up.
YourCrazy00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gomaji » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:08 pm

End90 wrote:Minot QB Yanosko out for season, rushing from QB position will be hurt by his loss, RB's will have to pick up the difference. Passing could remain consistent.

I agree that the rushing yards from the quarterback might go down. But Bolinski is a very athletic kid, and he got his share of rushing yards against west fargo, in only 2 half quarters. I also think that the passing part might be an upgrade (no offense to Yanosko). He is very accurate and he has a heck of an arm, but Holmen needs to let him loose when he's out there though, for him to be effective.

Can't believe he's only a sophmore.

Should be an exciting season.
gomaji
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 am

Go Ben!
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to AAA