Michael Mack

The teams in 9 Man

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:18 am

From the Fargo Forum and AP.  What a tragedy this is for Tri-County.

Drake standout football player dies during practice

The Associated Press - Tuesday, September 12, 2006
A 17-year-old athlete and honor student has died during football practice, the high school superintendent says.

Michael Mack was finishing conditioning sprints with the rest of the team when he fell down Monday, Superintendent Brent Engebretson said. An autopsy is planned.

Efforts were made to revive him, but he was pronounced dead at the Harvey hospital, Engebretson said.

Mack had returned to practice Monday for the first time since a knee injury two weeks ago, the superintendent said.

"We're numb and waiting to wake up from a bad dream," the superintendent said.

Funeral arrangements are pending, he said.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nike07 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 am

ndsportsfan98 wrote:From the Fargo Forum and AP.  What a tragedy this is for Tri-County.

Drake standout football player dies during practice

The Associated Press - Tuesday, September 12, 2006
A 17-year-old athlete and honor student has died during football practice, the high school superintendent says.

Michael Mack was finishing conditioning sprints with the rest of the team when he fell down Monday, Superintendent Brent Engebretson said. An autopsy is planned.

Efforts were made to revive him, but he was pronounced dead at the Harvey hospital, Engebretson said.

Mack had returned to practice Monday for the first time since a knee injury two weeks ago, the superintendent said.

"We're numb and waiting to wake up from a bad dream," the superintendent said.

Funeral arrangements are pending, he said.
my thoughts go out to the family and friends of michael mack
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 am

My thoughts and prayers also go out to the friends and family, what a tragedy.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby triple » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:16 am

Micheal Mack was a great athlete all around and he will be missed greatly. He was also one of the best teammates you could ask for. Probably the best baseball player i have ever played with and he was always competitve and loved the game. My prayers are with the family and friends of micheal
triple

Postby jwb262 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:45 am

i will be praying for their family and community.
jwb262
NDPreps Starter

Postby tv sports guy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:16 am

not that ANY of this matters during this tough time, but drake has announced that all activities today have been cancelled. and they say friday's game at maddock is up in the air. they say they'll make that decision as the week goes on.
tv sports guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Double Bonus » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:47 am

What a pity! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Mack family, Michael's teammates and the communities involved with the football co-cop. I see that Fargo Forum and AP had the story. Isn't Drake by Minot? Why don't they ahve anything on it. If they do I would like to see it.
Double Bonus

Postby tv sports guy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Drake is like 40 minutes southeast of minot. and i'm sure the paper will have something on it tomorrow, and both tv stations will have something tonight at 6 and 10. i'm not quite sure why fargo even got the story to begin with, but i would imagine minot will cover it very well.
tv sports guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pro341 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:44 pm

Yes, the CBS station in Minot, KXMC did a very nice piece about him today during the 6 news. He was just crowned Homecoming King on Friday night. Very much a shock to everybody in the area. He was an exceptional young man.

RIP
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison_18 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:47 pm

I was a teammate of Michael's for baseball. He was the hardest worker on our team. He knew baseball inside and out. He was one of my best friends. It's sad that such a great kid can be taken like this. He was the best teammate I could ever ask for.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:20 pm

What a terrible tradgedy! My condolences to his family and everyone that has been a part of his life.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfbfan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:40 pm

I echo the sentiments of everyone on here. My thoughts and prayers to all of Michael's family, friends and teammates. It is a tragedy and from what I know of him, a great loss as a football player, but most of all as a person.
ndfbfan

Postby dc34 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:10 pm

This is a very sad event and my prayers go out to his family and friends. One of my teachers told me this morning that he had died because I had attended national fbla conference with him a couple years ago. And of my best friends was deeply sadened by this because she knew him. Its too bad that things like that can happen to good people but bad people keep on living.

Peace Michael, and i hope you make it to the great football game in the sky
dc34
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDbballfan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family,  very sad.
NDbballfan

Postby fb_fan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:41 am

I had the priveledge to coach against Michael, and I have to say he was a standout athlete and a stand out person. He carried himself well. It is a sad day in North Dakota football. The world lost a great person. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and teammates. Very sad.
fb_fan

Postby Y-not Daily » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 am

Only met him once, but I thought he was a great kid with a lot of enthusiasm.
Y-not Daily

Postby twinsfan34 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:39 am

Tough news!  My condolences go to the Mack family and the Drake school/community.
twinsfan34

Postby rep » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:27 pm

sounds like the funeral has been scheduled for saturday in drake and the game between tri-county and maddock has also been moved to saturday. the game is in maddock.
rep

Postby Aaron50_07 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:51 pm

Michael was a great athlete, a great teammate, and an even better friend.  It really wont be the same without him and we all will miss him.  It really was a privelage to know Micheal and he will always have a place in our hearts.
Aaron50_07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hollywood » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:24 pm

I've played against him a couple times in football and in baseball. i even had to guard him last year and he lit me up for about 150 yards recieving. what a great athlete. very sad news
hollywood
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:25 pm

I think I speak for most on this board that if anyone hears what the cause of this tragedy is we would like to hear. Its hard to say if it will be released in the news.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby dc34 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:03 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe it was something with his heart. One of my teachers told us that he had some heart issues earlier in life, but they thought it had cleared up.

The same teacher told us that when the coaches were watching the conditioning, they turned their backs and were talking about how good he was looking in practice and thats when he collapsed. Very sad, but at least he went out doing something he liked
dc34
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bballer2 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:10 pm

dc34 wrote:I could be wrong, but I believe it was something with his heart. One of my teachers told us that he had some heart issues earlier in life, but they thought it had cleared up.

The same teacher told us that when the coaches were watching the conditioning, they turned their backs and were talking about how good he was looking in practice and thats when he collapsed. Very sad, but at least he went out doing something he liked

I'm guessing its somethin called Supraventricular Tachycardia... that is what i was diagnosed with when i was a 7th grader and i had a heart surgery but they said if i felt somethin or dint undergo that surgery i could pass out and die...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:10 am

http://www.kxmc.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=44068

Great article/video on that page.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby tv sports guy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:45 am

this is what the kmot website had about mack...

[align=left][font=Arial, Helvetica]DRAKE ATHLETE DIES TODAY[/font][/align]

[align=left][font=Arial, Helvetica]The community of Drake has been left shaken. Teachers, students and citizens learned on Tuesday, September 12th that 17-year-old senior and football quarterback Michael Mack died yesterday after practice.

It's been an emotional day for those living in the Drake community after learning about the death of number 18 for the Raiders. It's such as shock because Michael was such an exceptional athlete and student.

Brent EngebretsonDrake Superintendent
"He lived to compete - he lived to play sports. Smiled anytime you brought up competition,"

In everything Michael Mack did he went above and beyond the norm.

"Michael was the All-American kid. The kid you put on your poster and say that's what I want my son to be. A 4.0 student, NDHSAA distinguished student finalist. All-State First team wide receiver last year in football. Made the switch to quarterback this year for us."

But his life ended suddenly and unexpectedly Monday September 11th.

"At the end of a light conditioning drill, coaches remarked how nice he looked on his knee - turned back and he had collapsed. They started CPR immediately. Medical professional were here on-site shortly after and unfortunately he did not recover."

Now a school, a community and a family is left mourning and confused.

"Fellow players the same - its like we said. You're numb, you're shocked you're angry - this is wrong, this is a bad dream - the worst dream I've ever had, let me wake up."

Plans are in place for a prayer mass Wednesday morning.

"Tomorrow morning at 8:30. The Catholic Church in Drake, everyone is welcome to attend. And I guess from there we will just keep people informed and have information get out as soon as we can."

And Michael will be greatly missed.
[/font][/align]
tv sports guy
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to 9 - Man