Midway drops varsity FB

The teams in 9 Man

Postby point/center » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:59 am

What is the response of NDHSAA for another team that drops varsity FB?

"....and that giant sucking sound you hear..."
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:20 am

Midway did not drop the football program. Very low numbers went out for football 1 or 2 juniors and seniors i believe would have gone out. They will be playing a JV schedule this season and then be going down to 9-man next year. To tell ya the truth I don't have a problem with them doing that. Its the worst team in the region, your basically going to be playing your JV in that game anyway because they can't compete when you have girls playing, Yeah you'll say well it hurts the other teams cause it will be one less game they will play. But really in the end it won't.

It will be interesting to see what regions look like next year. Certain teams could possibly move down to 9-man Midway Minto will, North Border could they only have like 23 guys on their roster. But then you have to move 9 man teams up who probably aren't any better off. I think they may need to go back to having 11-man A and B and 9-man. B just being AA and A combined together.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:22 am

i should've been more clear on the fact they dropped VARSITY football. So how does that effect playoffs?

what if another team did it too? my point is this should not be taken lightly. Same thing with Shiloh dropping VARSITY FB.

even if they are bad...ask any coach. there is no such thing as a gimme...that's why they play the games on the field and not on paper.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:39 pm

[user=26]point/center[/user] wrote:
i should've been more clear on the fact they dropped VARSITY football. So how does that effect playoffs?

what if another team did it too? my point is this should not be taken lightly. Same thing with Shiloh dropping VARSITY FB.

even if they are bad...ask any coach. there is no such thing as a gimme...that's why they play the games on the field and not on paper.

How does it effect playoffs??? It doesn't because Midway-Minto coaches and Administration knew they couldn't compete with the Cavalier, Larimore, and MPCG's of the region or any team for that matter. They would have asked a lot of freshmen and sophomores to step in that aren't physically ready for Varsity playing time. These younger kids aren't physically ready to play, the coaches could be putting them in harms way getting hit by juniors and seniors from other teams that are physically better, with injuries occuring that could have been prevented. They now can play the Cavalier and MPCG Junior Varsity teams and actually get something out of it. You may think it was just careless of the Midway school to do this but if you really take a good look at what they did, it was the right move.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:09 pm

It was an absolute miracle that they made it through last season. They had only 19 players out and two of those were girls that were no bigger then 5'3 and 110lbs. They couldnt even have a full 11 on 11 practice. To make things worse is that they are small physically as a team as well. They have maybe one kid (Mondry from Minto) that is over 200 lbs and he is probably around 220. They had some small but tough seniors last year that played alot bigger then their size to get them at least through the season (but never really giving anyone the resemblance of a game). They are even smaller and younger this year. Size wise they dont get too much bigger in future years but they do get fairly athletic in about 2 years when Mozinski is a Senior.

NDHSAA is totally to blame for this problem as they were forced to drop over 20 year partner Fordvile-Lankin from the co-op or be forced to go AA. NDHSAA NEEDS to evaluate these cases like this on a case by case basis. Anyone with half a brain could have told them that even with FL they were no threat of having big numbers or even winning a game in Class A. However being able to keep FL would have ment probably being able to have a team in '06.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:03 am

I'm not saying the team themselves was going to make the playoffs. I'm saying the games they would've played and the total number of region games by thier opponents woud've impacted playoffs. Hey who know they may have pulled off an upset or two along they way....that's the way it goes....just wish NDHSAA would be more visible/active in these situations

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:31 am

Well lets talk about what the NDHSAA should do about this situation then. Anybody have opinions on what they should do about this?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:39 am

any school that drops a varsity sport within 3 months of first allowed day of season is on probation for 5 years. must reapply for varsity status

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_Coach » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:17 am

point/center wrote:any school that drops a varsity sport within 3 months of first allowed day of season is on probation for 5 years. must reapply for varsity status

How about a ban on postseason play for 5 years as well?
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:59 pm

point/center wrote:I'm not saying the team themselves was going to make the playoffs. I'm saying the games they would've played and the total number of region games by thier opponents woud've impacted playoffs. Hey who know they may have pulled off an upset or two along they way....that's the way it goes....just wish NDHSAA would be more visible/active in these situations

Well being they were Class A there would still be 4 teams from Region 2 moving on since only the region standings matter for moving on.

As far as maybe pulling off an upset or two... Last years team was WAY better then this years team would have been and they lost by at least 4 touchdowns every game. It would have been a complete slaughtering!!!!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:20 pm

ND_Coach wrote:
point/center wrote:any school that drops a varsity sport within 3 months of first allowed day of season is on probation for 5 years. must reapply for varsity status

How about a ban on postseason play for 5 years as well?

What good does those solutions do??? Especially considering that the NDHSAA is the reason that they are in that situation in the first place being forced to drop a member of their co-op.

This problem isnt just something that came up over the summer. It was something that was seen comming years ago as they strugled to field a 12 player JH team with this now group of juniors and seniors and was expressed that this situation might come about to the NDHSAA over 2 years ago before the current alignment.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:35 am

Had a Q&A in the Grand Forks Herald today with Midways head coach Dennis Horner. Horner has been the head coach of the Midway-Minto football program for the past 21 seasons. This year, it was decided by the school August 9th----The day after preseason practice began---That due to lack of numbers, Midway-Minto had to drop its varsity program. The team is putting together a 9-man junior varsity schedule.

Q: What was the situation that brought about the decision to drop varsity football?

A: It was numbers. When the kids were signing up for football after last season, we were projecting higher numbers that what we'd had last season. They still weren't big; we were projecting 20 to 22, but last year , we had 13-14 kids. But when it came time for football to start, a lot of the kids decided not to play. Not counting freshmen we had 11 show up, and a few of those had never played before. I was caught completely off guard. We talked it over here, and we just didn't think we could do it.

Q: Is the numbers problem a new development?

A: Numbers have been a problem for three consecutive year. We were a day late starting last year because we didn't know if we'd have enough for a team. When a couple kids showed up then we decided to give it a shot. Dropping enrollment at our school is a factor. And we don't have a large interest in athletics from our boys in high school.

Q: What's the toughest part of this development for you?

A: I love football, I love coaching it. And we're letting other schools down. It was hurtful to me, to have to tell other schools this late that we won't have a team, leaving them with holes in their schedules.

Q: How did the players accept this?

A: We are looking for 9-man junior varsity games, so that's available for your younger kids. But we have three seniors who have been in our program for the last five years who can't play. I feel for those guys/ Some of them thought they could hook up as a co-op with other schools now, but thats not possible.

Q: So what's the future for Midway-Minto football----is there one?

A: We've already been designated for 9-man classification beginning in the 2007 season. I think our chances our excellent of being able to have a varsity team, if we can keep those young kids out.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballplayer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:24 am

So the seniors that have been there for that long are just not going to play?  I dont see any reason why they cant play jv. JV is about letting kids develop into better players.  Playing against older more experienced kids that are better competion then wont that help out the younger players?
footballplayer

Return to 9 - Man