Why the Monster Games?

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 am

Why the Monster Games
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Re: Why the Monster Games?

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:30 am

WHY THE VAUGE TOPIC?
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:53 am

Seems like everyother team has a running back that is going over 150yds a game and some are going for a lot more. 200 yd games are common this year and few have gone over 300 yds and one went over 500. Now, I'm going to date myself here, but when I played from '80-'84 no one went over 200yds, and going over 100yds was a special nite. Is the difference less quality. Less numbers of kids translates into a team with less overall speed which can devastate a team in 9man, I believe this to be the reason.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:45 pm

jtdc492 wrote:Seems like everyother team has a running back that is going over 150yds a game and some are going for a lot more. 200 yd games are common this year and few have gone over 300 yds and one went over 500. Now, I'm going to date myself here, but when I played from '80-'84 no one went over 200yds, and going over 100yds was a special nite. "Is the difference less quality. Less numbers of kids translates into a team with less overall speed which can devastate a team in 9man, I believe this to be the reason."

Actually I think the opposite is true, back in 80-84 there were few co-ops, they were just starting to form in the mid 80's, most towns played with what they had and they did not have an over abundance of size, athletes, or speed, hence, lower offensive output. A lot of smaller schools did not have football and no co-op but had some great athletes that would have been great additions to any football team. I think of Binford, GSM, Crary, Aneta, Warwick, and a bunch of smaller towns that did not have football but had kids who would have been great football players, never got to play football in the late 70's to mid 80's now people are driving 50 miles one way to play football.

Back in the 80's the offenses where much more vanilla, If I can think back that far I believe every team we played ran wing I or split backs, double tight, Some teams ran some wishbone, Full house T and Wing T but for the most part pretty straight forward offenses.

In the early to mid 80's I would say that almost nobody lifted weights and if they did it was no where near the type of dynamic weight programs of today.

There were 200 yard rushing games back then but you never heard about them because it might have only been in the local paper or never reported. I know we had backs go over 200 yards both my Junior and Senior year and we sucked. That was way past your prime though it was 84and 85 LOL.

Coaching and rule changes have also made big improvments, back in the 80's there were a bunch a sick sadistic caoches who thought it would make you tough to work your butt off for two hours with no water and barely work on anything that had to do with football.

Now with the information age even really crappy coaches have information at their finger tips in a matter of seconds. They can see what good coaches do and what makes successful programs work.

Think back to the 80's if some one spread you out all over the field, the o-line could block with their hands instead of their forarms, if you had game film to study, if you could research and see how innovative offenses worked on the internet, if you had an explosive weight training regiment. If you had coaches who actually played the game of football, if you could have had all the best players in your county on one team.

The reasons are vast why teams are putting up big numbers and it does not supprise me one bit, and I actually think there should be those big numbers every year.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Didn't Gross from Napoleon break this same record last year?
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:04 pm

That's right! against Ellendale as a matter of fact. I don't think Napoleon ever registered it though.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:13 pm

What did gross have?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:24 pm

It was 400 plus, there was a big dicussion on here last year about Napoleon running up the score and padding the stats but I can not find the thread.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 pm

One difference back then was there was a 40 point mercy rule where as soon as the lead hit 40 points the game was over. Another difference was prior to the mid 80's any team could play 9-man. Linton played 9-man for years with an enrollement well over 200.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eastwood99 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:49 pm

So...............Gross hit 500 yards? That's amazazing lol :lol: .But seriously,amazing
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby psycho » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:50 pm

jtdc492 wrote:Why the Monster Games

The real reason you see some of these monster games is that the disparity between teams is getting bigger and bigger. Last Gross ran for around 400 yards against a less than average team. Napleon's offense is geared around the TB getting the ball a lot. The dogs get called off in the mid third or early 4th quarter and all of a sudden you see a 300, 350 or 4oo yard game.

In this latest case you have two less than average teams play and you have a good running back and he goes wild because he has to play the whole game because neither team can stop one another. It is nobody's fault but simply the way it is. At the end he has 560 yards on 30 carries and averages almost 19 yards a game. The same running back plays the week before against a quality team in Oakes. I do not have the numbers on that game but I wonder what the totals were there. I doubt very much they are even remotely close, but I could be wrong. For the most parts it comes down to quality of opponents and how long you are in the game and not much else. I am not downplaying the accomplishment of this Arnold kid from Ellendale as I am sure that he is a good player but I believe the above to be the reason you see these types of stats.
psycho
NDPreps Starter

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:54 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
jtdc492 wrote:Seems like everyother team has a running back that is going over 150yds a game and some are going for a lot more. 200 yd games are common this year and few have gone over 300 yds and one went over 500. Now, I'm going to date myself here, but when I played from '80-'84 no one went over 200yds, and going over 100yds was a special nite. "Is the difference less quality. Less numbers of kids translates into a team with less overall speed which can devastate a team in 9man, I believe this to be the reason."

Actually I think the opposite is true, back in 80-84 there were few co-ops, they were just starting to form in the mid 80's, most towns played with what they had and they did not have an over abundance of size, athletes, or speed, hence, lower offensive output. A lot of smaller schools did not have football and no co-op but had some great athletes that would have been great additions to any football team. I think of Binford, GSM, Crary, Aneta, Warwick, and a bunch of smaller towns that did not have football but had kids who would have been great football players, never got to play football in the late 70's to mid 80's now people are driving 50 miles one way to play football.

Back in the 80's the offenses where much more vanilla, If I can think back that far I believe every team we played ran wing I or split backs, double tight, Some teams ran some wishbone, Full house T and Wing T but for the most part pretty straight forward offenses.

In the early to mid 80's I would say that almost nobody lifted weights and if they did it was no where near the type of dynamic weight programs of today.

There were 200 yard rushing games back then but you never heard about them because it might have only been in the local paper or never reported. I know we had backs go over 200 yards both my Junior and Senior year and we sucked. That was way past your prime though it was 84and 85 LOL.

Coaching and rule changes have also made big improvments, back in the 80's there were a bunch a sick sadistic caoches who thought it would make you tough to work your butt off for two hours with no water and barely work on anything that had to do with football.

Now with the information age even really crappy coaches have information at their finger tips in a matter of seconds. They can see what good coaches do and what makes successful programs work.

Think back to the 80's if some one spread you out all over the field, the o-line could block with their hands instead of their forarms, if you had game film to study, if you could research and see how innovative offenses worked on the internet, if you had an explosive weight training regiment. If you had coaches who actually played the game of football, if you could have had all the best players in your county on one team.

The reasons are vast why teams are putting up big numbers and it does not supprise me one bit, and I actually think there should be those big numbers every year.

You bring up some good points, the 40 pt mercy rule back in the day was probably another reason.
As to lifting weights, there are definately more kids on serious programs, but that would negate that as a reason, i.e., if everbody is lifting its the same as if no one is. More info for coaches is another good reason. I also believe that if a good runner like Hagen or Gross is given the ball enough times they are bound to break one or two or three. It seemed like no one got the ball back in the 80's as much as they do today.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:10 am

"It seemed like no one got the ball back in the 80's as much as they do today.[/quote]

I agree, the fullbacks got the ball a lot more back in the day, now fullbacks are not much more than another guard in the backfield.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Return to 9 - Man