Smallest Teams?

The teams in 9 Man

Smallest Teams?

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Wondering who has the least number of kids out for 9-man?
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Re: Smallest Teams?

Postby future star » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:17 pm

dunseith has only about 18 kids.
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:06 pm

I've heard NCB (Leeds/Mwkn) has around 17 out and Maddock only has about 14. In another thread someone said Wilton/Wing had 16 out. This is kind of starting to seem like the norm for many of the 9man teams.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballdude101 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:24 pm

wilton/wing now only has i believe 14 or 15, and shiloh only has about the same
bballdude101
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nodak Guy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:25 pm

bballdude101 wrote:wilton/wing now only has i believe 14 or 15, and shiloh only has about the same

Didn't Shiloh just start their FB program a year or two ago? You would have thought they would have had some type of projection of numbers. Even if it is a private school, they must have some sort of idea as to their future FB numbers. If Wilton/Wing has that small of numbers, how long before they start the 3W's Co-op with Washburn?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:47 am

I heard that the three W's talked about a coop before this next 2 yr plan was going to go through, but Washburn was against it because it would have bumped them up to 11man.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby jtdc492 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:58 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I heard that the three W's talked about a coop before this next 2 yr plan was going to go through, but Washburn was against it because it would have bumped them up to 11man.

That is true...Pete Moe discussed it with the school board in Washburn, but was decided to hold off for now.
With both schools struggling for numbers something's going to happen this year. That's my prediction.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby old lineman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:45 pm

If the three W combinme they would have an easier time competeing with the 11 man schools, The 11 man vs 9 man game debate begins. With 11 man it is easier to cover the field than with 4 fewer players in 9 man. They have athletic kids at both schools, but if there is a time you don't numbers can fill holes.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballdude101 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:41 pm

its a shame these small towns dying out, wilton who is hurting badly for numbers even got 2 new kids too that are out so i believe there will be a co-op sometime
bballdude101
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND_Coach » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Strasburg-Zeeland is down to around 15 kids out for FB as well
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:47 am

I will be the first one to admit that football is a numbers game, the more the better. On the other hand I have seen some 9-man teams go deep into the playoffs with 14-16 kids and I am sure there have been teams with under 20 kids win the state championship a time or two.

Heck I remember some 11-man teams with 16 or so kids make playoff runs.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballdude101 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 am

i agree if you have a small group of guys that are hard workers you can go very far, but not having those guys for instance wilton and shiloh who only have about 14 guys they cant even run against a full defense and you cant even see a full defense till a game
bballdude101
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Are these small rosters because they don't have many boys or because they can't get boys out to play football?

It really takes a mindset from the coach to the kids to parents to the community to get kids out to play football. It has to be an important thing all around to get the numbers you need. It's kinda Catch 22 - you need numbers to have a solid program but you don't get numbers unless you have a solid program that is winning more than losing. Not many like to come out for football knowing you are going to get your face smashed in week in and week out.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballdude101 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Hinsa wrote:Are these small rosters because they don't have many boys or because they can't get boys out to play football?

It really takes a mindset from the coach to the kids to parents to the community to get kids out to play football. It has to be an important thing all around to get the numbers you need. It's kinda Catch 22 - you need numbers to have a solid program but you don't get numbers unless you have a solid program that is winning more than losing. Not many like to come out for football knowing you are going to get your face smashed in week in and week out.

this is exactly right!
bballdude101
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 am

Let's face it North Dakota is not Texas where high shcool football rules. You have to win to get kids out and you have to have a coach that the kids respect.

However you do not need to have a full team to practice, if you have low numbers you have to practice smart, you want to keep scrimmages to a minimum, You rep your plays against players at the point of attack and you perfect your techniques with individual drills, and you have coaches and other players run scout squad to show the defense what plays they will be seeing from week to week.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Four Winds with a school population of about 125 have 10 high school kids out for football.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby booyah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 pm

richland has about 20. maybe a couple less.
booyah
NDPreps Starter

Postby old lineman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:54 am

Grid iron Guru is correct that you can practice with a small squad, but there is nothing like having the luxury of having your first team run against a good scout squad. The person on the scout squad will learn from playing accross from someone better, the starter will only be pushed as hard as his scout squad will push them. Game type situations and full contact, full speed practice, though that needs to be within limits is thebest learning tool. The demise of football happens when you are only as good as who you practice against.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hunterlaf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:08 pm

parshall has 18 out this year
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby freshysoon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:37 pm

i think that north dakota should have a 6 man football league becasue i serious think more kids would come out for it
freshysoon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:39 pm

I don't think any more kids would play 6man compared to 9man, but it would be easier for these smaller schools to field teams. Heck, a lot of 9man coops could split up if there was a 6man division and bring some Friday night entertainment back to some towns that haven't had it in awhile.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby homer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 am

richlanad has 18 or 19 out
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby AC-DC » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:14 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I don't think any more kids would play 6man compared to 9man, but it would be easier for these smaller schools to field teams. Heck, a lot of 9man coops could split up if there was a 6man division and bring some Friday night entertainment back to some towns that haven't had it in awhile.

You've got a lot of teams that are struggling in 9-man and can't get Co-Ops. These teams are continously at the bottom of the league and provide no competion for the other teams. A 6-man league would help this out. It would probably take a Co-op break-up top to bottom and complete redistribution to make the league respectable.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to 9 - Man