2023 Season Discussion Thread

The teams in 9 Man

2023 Season Discussion Thread

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 pm

Nelson County is going to be an excellent #4 seed. Sargent County will not have an easy game in their 1 vs. 4 first round matchup.

South Border is a favorite for their first region title ever. Has Wishek or Ashley ever won a region title? That is a confusing region to figure out week-to-week.

Midway-Minto had their first win in a while. When was the last time they won a 9-man or 11-man game?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2023 Season Discussion Thread

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:27 pm

Flip wrote:Nelson County is going to be an excellent #4 seed. Sargent County will not have an easy game in their 1 vs. 4 first round matchup.

South Border is a favorite for their first region title ever. Has Wishek or Ashley ever won a region title? That is a confusing region to figure out week-to-week.

Midway-Minto had their first win in a while. When was the last time they won a 9-man or 11-man game?

Four Winds still has an outside chance at the 4 seed in Region 2 since N. Star still has games at NP and at FW; if they falter in both the door opens...Nelson County is at NP as well still.

1977 Ashley was undefeated until State playoffs; problem for Ashley/Wishek/South Border over the years is that Napoleon has been in their region.

Midway-Minto's last 9-man victory was 9/29/2017 vs. Four Winds (66-26) - only win of that season
2016 they had 3 victories in 9-man (Drayton/V-E, North Star & Four Winds)
Last 11-man victory for M-M was 2012 vs. Northwood (56-36) - only win that season
They had decent success in 6-man football (16-8) over 4 years
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:52 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I think one to watch is Four Winds hosting North Star on Thursday night. Four Winds trailed NRSM 15-12 in the fourth quarter of that game and battled Nelson County right down to the wire before losing by a touchdown as well. They could shake up the region a bit with a win against North Star. In my mind, FW is the top current #5 in any region across the state. They just haven't been able to quite pull off the big game to get themselves into playoff contention. North Star looked great against Nelson County. Did not see the NP game, however, so not sure what they struggled with against them. On paper, North Star should win this game but definitely don't count FW out.

I'm quoting this post in this section because my response is more related to the season as a whole. There is no doubt in my mind that Four Winds is the best #5 team in any region. Four Winds makes the playoffs in any of the other three regions, they still might make it in region 2. North Border would be a playoff team in the right region too.

Has anyone out there watched all of the top teams? I'm not sure the polls are accurate, just look at New Salem. With so few out of region games it can be hard to gauge how good some of these teams are. I'm curious if you had to pick now who are your favorites to end up in Fargo?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby OdessaAardvark » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:03 am

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I think one to watch is Four Winds hosting North Star on Thursday night. Four Winds trailed NRSM 15-12 in the fourth quarter of that game and battled Nelson County right down to the wire before losing by a touchdown as well. They could shake up the region a bit with a win against North Star. In my mind, FW is the top current #5 in any region across the state. They just haven't been able to quite pull off the big game to get themselves into playoff contention. North Star looked great against Nelson County. Did not see the NP game, however, so not sure what they struggled with against them. On paper, North Star should win this game but definitely don't count FW out.

I'm quoting this post in this section because my response is more related to the season as a whole. There is no doubt in my mind that Four Winds is the best #5 team in any region. Four Winds makes the playoffs in any of the other three regions, they still might make it in region 2. North Border would be a playoff team in the right region too.

Has anyone out there watched all of the top teams? I'm not sure the polls are accurate, just look at New Salem. With so few out of region games it can be hard to gauge how good some of these teams are. I'm curious if you had to pick now who are your favorites to end up in Fargo?

I may be biased (I am for sure biased), but I think Region 2 is probably the toughest in the state, although the polls may not show it. I agree, #1-#5 and possibly North Border depending on the night, are all playoff caliber teams. The unfortunate part is that the region has been a bit of a grind house with each week seeming to be a battle, and have started to notice some important injuries start to pop up across the board. Saying that, I think NRS-Maddock has the best shot, at least out of Region 2 because of how deep they are. The addition of Maddock could prove to be a huge factor come playoff time when it seems the healthiest team has the best shot. Although I wouldn't write off North Prairie or Nelson Cty either, both play a similar style of tough D and pounding the rock which both are important when old man winter starts showing his face come late October. However it shakes out hopefully all the teams that make it are at their best, and I can't wait to see how this next month plays out!
OdessaAardvark
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:57 pm

Flip wrote:

I would have to say South Border and Sargent County are the favorites to end up in Fargo. Not sure how the playoffs are laid out and if those two would meet sooner or not. I agree that Region 2 is definitely the toughest out of the top 6 teams in that region, but I don't think Region 2 really has a team that can end up in Fargo. Put the top 5-6 in any other region and they are all still playoff teams, but there is not really that top talented team that is a favorite to end up in the championship. NP would possibly be that team but injuries have hurt them. NRSM may get hot and on a roll in the playoffs. Heck, the #3 or #4 team could even get on a roll and make a run. I wouldn't sleep on WNG for the championship either. Probably have the best player in the state leading them, but have not seen them play and do not know how the rest of their positions stack up.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:27 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I would have to say South Border and Sargent County are the favorites to end up in Fargo. Not sure how the playoffs are laid out and if those two would meet sooner or not.

If South Border and Sargent County win out I think it's very unlikely they are on the same side of the bracket. SC will probably be #1 and the #2 and #3 seeds will be on the opposite side. I don't see SB slipping to #4.
I agree that Region 2 is definitely the toughest out of the top 6 teams in that region, but I don't think Region 2 really has a team that can end up in Fargo.

Sometimes I think that too, but then I also think it's possible Nelson County ends up in Fargo.
I wouldn't sleep on WNG for the championship either. Probably have the best player in the state leading them, but have not seen them play and do not know how the rest of their positions stack up.

Is Braaten a RB or a QB?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 pm

I believe he is their RB. Jespersen is the QB for Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TC21 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:06 am

I’m pretty sure he’s the QB but haven’t seen them play this year. He was their QB last year.
TC21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Your daddy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:48 am

I'll pick south border to win the ship. The biggest difference between South border and sargent county is SB is a team full of wrestlers and SC is a team full of basketball players. I'll take the wrestlers all day and twice on Sunday!
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:35 am

Your daddy wrote:I'll pick south border to win the ship. The biggest difference between South border and sargent county is SB is a team full of wrestlers and SC is a team full of basketball players. I'll take the wrestlers all day and twice on Sunday!

Are they going to Wrestle? Are they going to play Basketball? You're predictions have been so spot on all year! I'll take SC to win it all
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:43 am

TC21 wrote:I’m pretty sure he’s the QB but haven’t seen them play this year. He was their QB last year.

I watched two plays on NFHS when they played Alexander and he was playing QB. Ran read option on both play which would explain his high rushing totals.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:26 pm

My bad! Clearly did not close enough at their roster.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:20 am

If the Media Polls hold true for the seeding, this could be the quarterfinal round barring any 1st round upsets: (I could see a few 1st round upsets though).

R2#2 North Prairie @ #1 overall Sargent County
R4#2 New Salem or GC-F @ #4 Overall W-N-G

R1 #2 LaMoure or Wyndmere @ #3 Overall New Rockford/Sheyenne
R3 #2 Alexander @ #2 overall South Border

I wouldn't be shocked if the 3/4 switch to make it:

R2#2 North Prairie @ #1 overall Sargent County
R1 #2 LaMoure or Wyndmere @ #4 Overall New Rockford/Sheyenne

R4#2 New Salem or GC-F @ #3 Overall W-N-G
R3 #2 Alexander @ #2 overall South Border
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TC21 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:00 pm

Yeah, it’s going to be interesting to see how they do the quarter final round. If this is the the way, it’s going to go. That would be a terrible draw for sargeant County playing probably the best number two seed left in the tournament.
TC21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Your daddy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:25 pm

How's that sargent county pick going packers?
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:29 pm

Your daddy wrote:How's that sargent county pick going packers?

You always hear about the Nelson County wrestling program!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDbaseballguy2 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:57 am

Gosh I love how packers got lit up there and has nothing to really say! Lmao!
NDbaseballguy2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:49 am

NDbaseballguy2 wrote:Gosh I love how packers got lit up there and has nothing to really say! Lmao!

What are you talking about? The only reason I picked SC was bc he said they were going to lose bc they played basketball. They got beat, there's not much to say.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:00 pm

NDbaseballguy2 wrote:Gosh I love how packers got lit up there and has nothing to really say! Lmao!

But he did make a sarcastic reply so he did say something.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to 9 - Man