Week 6- What to Watch

The teams in 9 Man

Week 6- What to Watch

Postby ChickenNuggets » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:37 pm

We are fully into the second half of the regular season and there are a number of big games on tap for this weekend around the state, including a HUGE non-conference matchup that many around the state thought could have been a state title preview prior to the start of the season.

Region 1-2
North Prairie (4-1) @ LaMoure (4-1)

Lets Jump right into the thick of it with that big game I mentioned in the intro! LaMoure will play host to this game of the week! After dropping a week 1 matchup with Sargent County, LaMoure has won their next four games by a combined 194-18 spread. North Prairie started hot, moving all the way up to #1 in the media polls before losing their QB1 for the season in a game against NRS that they ultimately lost in overtime just two weeks ago. They bounced back hanging 60 on North Border last week and may have some kinks worked out. The contrast of styles in this one is interesting. NP is a big, powerful, bruising team whereas Lamoure is much more of a speedy finesse team, at least in comparison to NP. Weather could play a factor in this matchup with chances of rain over the next few days. For that reason, I'll take the team I predicted to be #1 in the pre-season. Give me the Cougars 38-28.

Region 2-
New Rockford/Sheyenne/Maddock (4-0) vs. Nelson County (4-1)

Nelson County has put some major points on the board this year. They did suffer one setback against North Star, but have looked exceptional other than that. They were a team that I had high expectations for this season. NR-S-M has been lights out and took down the juggernaut NP two weeks ago, then got a bye week to recover and put a plan together for Nelson County who may be the only real threat standing between them and a region title. NR-S-M has managed to handle every test so far and I can't pick against them doing the same this week. NR-S-M wins 48-30

Region 3
Alexander (5-0) vs. Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood (4-1)

Alexander is FIVE-AND-OH! one of just six unbeaten teams left in ND 9-man football. That is impressive, but it has to be pointed out that they have yet to play any of the other three teams in their region joining them in the top 4 of the regional standings. MLS is one of those top-4 teams and should be one of Alexander's toughest opponents to this point in the season. They've played all the same teams and have a 4-1 record to boast for it, plus they get home-field advantage. Will MLS be the team to give Alexander a loss? I'm going to say no... I'll take the Comets to win 56-48 in a shootout to set up a battle of 6-0 teams next week between Alexander and WNG.

Region 4-
Kidder County (4-1) vs. Grant County-Flasher (3-2)

After a week 1 loss to New Salem, Kidder County has rattled off four straight wins. GC-F on the other side has had three straight battles and went 1-2 after starting 2-0. I do think that GC-F has had the tougher schedule to this point and are battle tested. They need a win here to help them cling on to a shot at 3rd place in the region to avoid traveling to a play-off game against a region champion in Round 1. Kidder County on the other hand has the meat of their schedule remaining and is very likely going to have to find at least two more wins over the next 4 weeks to make the playoffs despite their impressive 4-1 start. I just don't think they find one of them this week. I'll take the Storm to win big- GCF 38-14

My weekly top-10 Teams:
1- Sargent County
2- New Salem-Almont
3- Westhope-Newberg-Glenburn
4-South Border
5- New Rockford-Sheyenne
6- North Prairie
7- North Star
8- Grant County-Flasher
9- Alexander
10- Nelson County
ChickenNuggets