Week 1- What to Watch

The teams in 9 Man

Week 1- What to Watch

Postby ChickenNuggets » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:55 am

The 2022 season kicks off on Friday night- Here are what I feel are the biggest opening week match-ups to watch.

South Border @ Grant Couny/Flasher
Grant County/Flasher is the early season favorite in Region 6 while South Border had a nice season last year, making the playoffs, and will look to compete for a playoff spot again coming out of region 5.While this is a non-conference game and has no impact on who makes the playoffs, I could see this game being replayed in the early stages of the playoffs come October. My guess is GC/F gets it done with their big and experienced linemen leading the charge Final Score- South Border 46-34

North Prairie @ W/N/G
North Prairie will be on of the frontrunners in Region 4 this year. They kick off their season on the road against Region 7 newcomer W/N/G who joins the 9-man ranks after playing in 11B last year. It will be interesting to see how WNG adjusts back to 9-man. This could be a fun early season match-up, but I'll take the Cougars in this game. Final Score- North Prairie 58-26

Hettinger County @ Napoleon
Don't be confused ,Hettinger County and Hettinger/Scranton are two different teams. Hettinger County may be more recognizable as Mott/Regent from a year ago. Napoleon surely will remember who they were as they met in the first round of the playoffs where M/R won a 66-42 Shootout. Both teams have lost some tremendous players and will have some holes to fill, but both will look to be playoff contenders again this year so this will be a fun week 1 matchup to see where they stand early on. I"ll take the home team to win in week 1. Final Score- Napoleon 36-28

MayPort CG @ Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
I think this is the biggest match-up of week 1.W/L and MPCG both finished second in their regions last year behind LaMoure and Cavalier. Both won first round play-off games before being eliminated by LaMoure and Cavalier who were in the state finals. Both are looking to be even better this year than they were a year ago. MPCG should be a heavy favorite in Region 2 as they return a number of big play-makers and add a few more with the addition of Finley/Sharon to their co-op. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood brings back Andrew Arth who is one of the top players in all of 9-man football if healthy. He went down with a knee injury last year, If he's back to full strength for this game it is going to be a week 1 slugfest! If Arth Plays, I'll take the home team to win this game. If he is out or limited in what he can do at this point in the season, I'll take MPCG. Final Score- MPCG 38-16

New Rockford/Sheyenne @ Nelson County
Here is an interesting match-up. These two teams finished 1 & 2 in Region 3 last year, but are now opening the season against each other in a non-conference game. Nelson County defeated NR/S 16-6 in the final week of the regular season last year. Both of these teams will be competing to again reach the playoffs in 2022, but both will have competitive regions to navigate in order to do so. There is no denying that Nelson County had a tremendous season last year, but I am interested to see how they replace a big senior class. This should be a fun early season matchup. This one could be a nail biter so once again, I'll take the home team, Nelson County to come out on top. Final Score- Nelson County 36-22

Week 9B Predictions- 4-1, Season Total- 4-1

Other games of interest-
Benson County @ North Border- It will be interesting to see how NB adjusts back to 9-man after playing 6-man last season.

LaMoure @ Maple River- LaMoure will be among the top of the 9-man teams again this year, but will have some holes to fill, especially at QB. Maple River will be intriguing as they are a new co-op consisting of Maple Valley and Hope/Page.

Northern Cass @ Cavalier- Perennial 9-man contender Cavalier will open their season playing an 11-man game against 11B Northern Cass.

North Star @ St. John- Another matchup of two teams who will be play-off contenders. Could be a nice week 1 clash.
Last edited by ChickenNuggets on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Week 1- What to Watch

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 pm

[quote="ChickenNuggets"]The 2022 season kicks off on Friday night- Here are what I feel are the biggest opening week match-ups to watch.

South Border @ Grant Couny/Flasher
Grant County/Flasher is the early season favorite in Region 6 while South Border had a nice season last year, making the playoffs, and will look to compete for a playoff spot again coming out of region 5.While this is a non-conference game and has no impact on who makes the playoffs, I could see this game being replayed in the early stages of the playoffs come October. My guess is GC/F gets it done with their big and experienced linemen leading the charge

I agree with your take on this game, GCF is going to be tough up front. Not many 9 man teams will have this size.

MayPort CG @ Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
I think this is the biggest match-up of week 1.W/L and MPCG both finished second in their regions last year behind LaMoure and Cavalier. Both won first round play-off games before being eliminated by LaMoure and Cavalier who were in the state finals. Both are looking to be even better this year than they were a year ago. MPCG should be a heavy favorite in Region 2 as they return a number of big play-makers and add a few more with the addition of Finley/Sharon to their co-op. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood brings back Andrew Arth who is one of the top players in all of 9-man football if healthy. He went down with a knee injury last year, If he's back to full strength for this game it is going to be a week 1 slugfest! If Arth Plays, I'll take the home team to win this game. If he is out or limited in what he can do at this point in the season, I'll take MPCG.

[b]
[b]I'd take MPCGFS in this one, no matter who plays. Arth is a very good player, but WL will have to make up for a few lost seniors who were pretty tough last year.
This may be the year MPCGFS makes a lot of noise. They sure should with that many small towns making up the roster.[/b]

Other games of interest-

LaMoure @ Maple River- LaMoure will be among the top of the 9-man teams again this year, but will have some holes to fill, especially at QB. Maple River will be intriguing as they are a new co-op consisting of Maple Valley and Hope/Page.

[b]I don't think LaMoure misses a beat. 5 + TD victory here. They were a Jr. dominated class last year and they are going to have some lopsided scores again this year.[/b]
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to 9 - Man