2021 Season Discussion

The teams in 9 Man

2021 Season Discussion

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 am

Favorites? Players to watch? Any interesting storylines?

I'm looking at the list of teams and I couldn't begin to guess who the favorites will be. I would guess Lamoure based on previous years and success in their other sports.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2021 Season Discussion

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:16 pm

Region Listings for those who don't want to search for the reference

Region 1: LaMoure-LM, Tri-State, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, Hankinson, Enderlin/Maple Valley, Richland
Region 2: Cavalier, MPCG, Hatton-Northwood, Larimore, FSHP, Griggs/Midkota
Region 3: Nelson County, Four Winds, Benson County, North Star, New Rockford-Sheyenne
Region 4: TGU, St. John, Bottineau, North Prairie, Dunseith
Region 5: Central McLean, New Salem-Almont, Napoleon/GS, South Border, Kidder County
Region 6: Hettinger-Scranton, Richardton-Taylor-Hebron, Mott-Regent/New England, Grant County/Flasher, Beach
Region 7: Garrison, Surrey, Lewis & Clark, M-L-S, Parshall/White Shield
Region 8: Ray/Powers Lake, Alexander, Divide County, Tioga, Kenmare-Bowbells-Burke Central
Last edited by WalkingStick on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:13 pm

Region 1
LaMoure- LM

Region 2
Cavalier

Region 3
1. North Star

2. New Rockford
3. Nelson Co

4. Benson Co
5. Four Winds

Region 4
1. St. John
2. Bottineau
3. North Prairie
4. TGU

5. Dunseith

Region 5
New Salem

Region 6
Grant County/Flasher

Region 7
Surrey

Region 8
Tioga
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JackofDiamonds » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:26 pm

My Region picks in Bold

Region 1: LaMoure-LM, Tri-State, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, Hankinson, Enderlin/Maple Valley, Richland
Region 3: Nelson County, Four Winds, Benson County, North Star, New Rockford-Sheyenne
Region 4: TGU, St. John, Bottineau, Northern Lights, Dunseith
Region 5: Central McLean, New Salem-Almont, Napoleon/GS, South Border, Kidder County
Region 6: Hettinger-Scranton, Richardton-Taylor-Hebron, Mott-Regent/New England, Grant County/Flasher, Beach
Region 8: Ray/Powers Lake, Alexander, Divide County, Tioga, Kenmare-Bowbells-Burke Central

Really Like LaMoure and Surrey as overall favorites
JackofDiamonds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ChickenNuggets » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:37 pm

Region 1: LaMoure brings back a nice group of kids. They should run away with the region and make a playoff push. Could see them being a top-5 Team in the state. Wyndmere Lidgerwood and Maple Valley/Enderlin are my two other picks for playoffs out of this region.

Region 2: Cavalier lost some very good players, but they always contend. If they cans here up their line, they have some of the best skill players in the state. I pick them to win this region and make another deep playoff run. I predict they'll be joined by MayPort CG and Griggs/Midkota in the playoffs out of this region.

Region 3: This is a tough region to predict. None off these teams were playoff teams last year. North Star had some solid young talent that could help them win some games. My prediction is a toss up between Nelson County and North Star for the Region championship and they'll be joined by.... Four Winds in the playoffs

Region 4: This should be a fun region to watch as I think there could be a lot of parity among the top teams. I think I would lean towards TGU to win the Region. Bottineau coming down from a successful season in 11 man will be right in the mix and should make the playoffs along with St. John.

Region 5: New Salem should be one of the top teams in the state. I know many are picking them as the pre-season favorites. They should win this region. This isn't the part of the state that I have seen a whole lot, so I'm not as confident in these picks... I'll take Central McLean and Napoleon to be the other playoff teams. I know Napoleon was competitive last year with a young team and should be OK this year. I'm not positive on CM. I believe Kidder County lost some of their big guns that will be difficult to replace, but they've been very good the past few years and could be right in the mix.

Region 6: Grant County/Flasher and Beach should squarely be at the top of this region. I'll take GC/F to win it. Beach #2 and then total crap shoot here but I'll take Mott-Regent/New England

Region 7: Surrey was 9-1, gave Linton a run in the play-offs, and from what I understand brings back everyone. They could make a deep playoff run and should win this region. MLS is my pick for #2 and I'll take Garrison at #3.

Region 8: Another Region that I'm not super familiar with. Ray/Power Lake and Divide County are my guess to fight it out for a region title. I'll predict Divide County #1 and R/PL #2 with Kenmare/B/BC getting the third playoff spot.

Way too early to have any real clue play-off seeding predictions:
1- New Salem
2- LaMoure
3- Cavalier
4- Surrey
5- Grant County/ Flasher
6- Divide County
7- TGU
8- Nelson County
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OdessaAardvark » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 am

First game week of the season, and it couldn't come soon enough! Anybody know of big games (rivalries, good teams, etc.) happening this week?
OdessaAardvark
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ChickenNuggets » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Midco Sports released their pre-season top 5 teams:
#1 LaMoure opens at home vs. Larimore. No offense but should be a blowout. Larimore has played an independent schedule the past couple years.

#2- Surrey hosts Tioga- Don't know much about Tioga but would imagine Surrey should dominate.

#3- New Salem- Hosts Beach. Beach was one of Midco's teams to watch (ranked 6-8ish). This might just be the game of the week!

#4- Cavalier- Opens at home vs. Enderlin/Maple Valley. Not sure what E/MV has, they might be in the hunt for a play-off spot in Region 1, but I think Cavalier should win handily.

#5- Grant County/Flasher- Opens on the road at South Border. I don't expect this one to bee real competitive.

Other games to watch week 1:
Hatton/Northwood @ Wyndmere Lidgerwood- W/L was another team on the bubble of the top 5 rankings from Midco, I would say they're heavily favored to be Region 1 Runner-ups behind LaMoure. Hatton/Northwood is moving down from 11 man and has one of the top players in the state in the Azure kid.

St. John @ Nelson County- Both of those teams could be in the hunt to win their respective regions or at the very least be playoff qualifiers.

Four Winds @ Bottineau- Four winds has played an independent schedule the past few years and Bottineau is coming down from 11 man so it could be interesting just to see what both of these programs look like in an official 9-man setting.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:13 pm

I'm sure a lot of people know Azure committed to NDSU. I didn't know he is the #2 ranked recruit in ND behind Carson Hegerle of West Fargo.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthr ... elby-Azure
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:40 am

- I look for LaMoure to win this region and be one of the top 5 teams in the state all season long. Definitely one of the pre-season favorites. Wyndmere-L is my pick to finish 2nd.

- I think Cavalier brings back enough skills guys and always retools so will pick them to win the region. Will be interesting to see how this program looks in their first season post Laxdahl. I look for a battle for 2nd place with MPCG coming out on top.

- I have seen a lot of interest in teams like Nelson County and North Star and think this is probably amongst the most wide open regions in 9 man. I will take the tradition and experience of New Rockford to win the region with North Star finishing 2nd.

Region 4: TGU, St. John, Bottineau, Northern Lights, Dunseith
- Another wide open region. I will take St. John to win the region with Bottineau finishing 2nd. I think TGU will battle to win the region as well. Look out for Bottineau to make some noise. They have struggled of late but were young last year and had a pretty good season in 11 man.

- New Salem wins this region and establishes themselves as a top 5 team. Kidder County and Napoleon are the other 2 interesting teams to me. I will take Kidder to finish 2nd, experience and recent success win out but Napoleon should give them a run.

- Beach is coming off a great season but loses some important kids. Grant County will be really solid. I think this could be one of the best battles for a region title around the state. I look for whoever comes out as one to make a playoff run. I will take Grant County to win and Beach to finish 2nd.

- Surrey should be in that top 5 group around the state and I look for them to run away with this region. I will take MLS to finish 2nd.

- Another interesting region that I think could shake out a lot of different ways. I will take Divide County to win the region with Ray-Powers Lake finishing 2nd.

Pre-Season Top 5: 1. Lamoure, 2. Surrey, 3. New Salem, 4. Cavalier, 5. Tie with Grant County and Beach
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby JackofDiamonds » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:00 am

This was probably posted on another page but how are 9 man playoffs going to look this year? Top 2 teams from each region? Top three with first round byes? QRF involved for seeding? Just curious.
JackofDiamonds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:06 pm

Pretty certain I heard that the QRF was gone for seeding

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm

JackofDiamonds wrote:This was probably posted on another page but how are 9 man playoffs going to look this year? Top 2 teams from each region? Top three with first round byes? QRF involved for seeding? Just curious.

I believe I heard it is top 3 from each region. Could be wrong though
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:41 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Pretty certain I heard that the QRF was gone for seeding

https://ndhsaa.com/regulations/football

Seeding done by coaches for region winners in 11B & 9-man divisions…playoff details listed as well

QRF will be used for 11AA & 11A

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:00 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Pretty certain I heard that the QRF was gone for seeding

https://ndhsaa.com/regulations/football

Seeding done by coaches for region winners in 11B & 9-man divisions…playoff details listed as well

QRF will be used for 11AA & 11A

I like the seeding 1-8 done by coaches better than the QRF. QRF will still be used in a like seed situation (two number 2 seeds meeting in a playoff game, QRF decides home field. We will see some Interesting quarter-final matchups in 9man. Crosby at Wyndmere or Cavalier at Elgin
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:02 pm

It's not Northern Lights.....It's North Prairie. Northern Lights is that corny name we (SJ and Rolla) have for track, golf, wrestling. North Prairie is the corny name that Rolla and Rolette picked for football and soon to be basketball.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 am

Some pretty decent upsets from Friday:

South Border beating GCF has to be one of the bigger upsets in recent memory. Most people have GCF as one of the favorites to make a deep playoff run. Last season GCF beat SB by over 50.

Hettinger-Scranton beating Kidder County was a pretty decent upset. KC has had some very successful seasons the past few years, Hettinger-Scranton has been at the bottom of their region during that same time.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:02 am

Did the weather affect many games across the state? Dunseith-North Star game had big down pour during a good portion of it.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:42 am

The Schwab wrote:Some pretty decent upsets from Friday:

South Border beating GCF has to be one of the bigger upsets in recent memory. Most people have GCF as one of the favorites to make a deep playoff run. Last season GCF beat SB by over 50.

Hettinger-Scranton beating Kidder County was a pretty decent upset. KC has had some very successful seasons the past few years, Hettinger-Scranton has been at the bottom of their region during that same time.

Cavalier holding on and barely beating E/MV was a shock as was Nelson County over St. John; nothing beats the SB over GCF outcome though...clear #1 upset

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:42 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Did the weather affect many games across the state? Dunseith-North Star game had big down pour during a good portion of it.

Bottineau-Four Winds was called at end of third quarter for lightning. North Prairie-New Rockford had a rain delay.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:45 am

WalkingStick wrote:

Cavalier holding on and barely beating E/MV was a shock as was Nelson County over St. John; nothing beats the SB over GCF outcome though...clear #1 upset

E/MV good or is Cavalier finally down a bit?
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:34 am

WalkingStick wrote:

I was surprised by the score of the Cavalier game, but since they won I didn't include it. I missed the St. John score, that is surprising as St. John is good every year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:07 pm

The Schwab wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

I was surprised by the score of the Cavalier game, but since they won I didn't include it. I missed the St. John score, that is surprising as St. John is good every year.

Weather could have played a huge role...I do know it was pouring there too

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Did the weather affect many games across the state? Dunseith-North Star game had big down pour during a good portion of it.

Weather had zero effect on the South Border/Grant County game. Big win for a South Border program that has been struggling for a long time. New coaching staff gets their 1st win and it was a big one!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:36 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

Weather could have played a huge role...I do know it was pouring there too

Weather played no role in the SJ-NC game. It was raining and St. John forced 4 or 5 turnovers in the game but made nothing out of them. Game was 0-0 at the half. SJ could not move the ball. Better team won that night. When we played them last year I thought they were way better than their record.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby imdakidd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 am

Does anyone have the 9B playoff brackets? I’m guessing that week 1 is within the region?
imdakidd
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to 9 - Man