2020 PLAYOFF BRACKET

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 2020 PLAYOFF BRACKET

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm not so sure what to make of the MPCG/Cavalier Game. MPCG looks to be very good on offense (58 pts/game scored), but doesn't appear to play any defense at all (36.25 pts/game Allowed). They have given up 32 points or more in 5 of their 8 games.

Cavalier looks to be a very well-balanced team playing solid on offense (49.6 pts/game scored) and Defense (12.4 pts/game allowed)

Common Opponents-
MPCG 60- North Prairie 52
Cavalier 42- North Prairie 6

MPCG 74- Tri State 48
Cavalier 48- Tri State 28

I think I agree with UNDSiouxFan, but think Cavalier might make more than 1-2 big defensive stops.

Beach looks to be clicking on all cylinders and I have heard Kidder County is a little banged up. I think this could be a very competitive football game.

North Border is playing good football, they have a balanced offense with athletic play-makers. LaMoure has not been tested yet, but I do question how tough that region is from top to bottom and LaMoure hasn't played in a few weeks so will they be rusty? I still think LaMoure is the heavy favorite.

I was surprised to see the TGU win! I am not sure if they can do it again against Linton. It could be a very interesting matchup.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:51 pm

I was also surprised TGU won. That is a huge win for that team and program good for them! Was anyone at that game that can offer insight? Was Grant County at full strength? Haven't been able to find much so anything anyone can add would be appreciated.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby oldcolt » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Wondering if there were games throughout the year that they lost where TGU wasn't at full strength. Now when playoffs start they are finally at full strength? They must have figured something out or be clicking as that was a big win.
oldcolt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:50 pm

oldcolt wrote:Wondering if there were games throughout the year that they lost where TGU wasn't at full strength. Now when playoffs start they are finally at full strength? They must have figured something out or be clicking as that was a big win.

TGU losses
8/28: 32-6 @ Divide County
9/11: 34-32 @ Surrey
9/25: 50-24 @ St. John
10/2: 36-30 vs. North Prairie

Divide County & Ray/Powers Lake came off of quarantine and it had been 22 days since last game...going into the playoffs.

My guess would be that they were a bit rusty and that in a normal year Region 3 may have given Region 4 teams a bit more of a fight.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:05 am

The Quarterfinals featured three blow-outs and one close game. All four teams that won played very good defense.

LaMoure and Linton pitched defensive shut-outs while scoring in the mid-30's to set up one of the semi-finals. This game will feature two of the top running backs in the state. Both teams are well-rounded and can also throw the ball around. I predict the winner will be the team that forces the most turnovers on defense. LaMoure hasn't been in a "Dog fight" yet this year and Linton has played in many gritty, close games. Give me Linton in a 30-24ish type game.

Cavalier gave up a TD on special teams and held MPCG to negative yards offensively. Beach won a 20-12 game, but if I recall, both of Kidder's TD's were special teams scores as well (Kickoff return and awkward punt situation that resulted in a TD). This has the making of a very physical game. I think Cavalier will find more ways to score in this one. I'll take the Tornadoes in a 30-12 type of game.

Linton's season was ended in a double overtime thriller in Cavalier last year. A rematch could be a lot of fun!
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:11 pm

R4#4 Beach (7-2) @ R2#1 (2) Cavalier (11-0) Rooting for Beach, but I'll go 30-24
R4#3 (RV) Linton-HMB (7-2) @ R1#1 (1) LaMoure-LM (9-0) 30-14
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Cavalier by 4+ TDS
LaMoure- LM by 3+ TDS, more if it isn't windy and they can pass
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Beach to Cavalier lists out at 437 miles on Google Maps. Is that the longest playoff game road trip of the season? I think Bowman traveled to Langdon a couple years ago, but Google Maps has that slightly shorter than this trip. I know this topic was brought up last year or the year prior too, but it's always fun to look at these types of things.

In comparison, Linton will travel 98 miles to their road game.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 pm

sportsphenom wrote:Cavalier by 4+ TDS
LaMoure- LM by 3+ TDS, more if it isn't windy and they can pass

This was my prediction, too. I think Cavalier and Lamoure are a notch above everyone this year and hope that's the matchup we see in the Dakota Bowl.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sleepy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Cavalier 34-14 Long road trip for Beach, but they still come and give Cavalier a battle.
LaMoure 42-26 Very good game, but LaMoure is too balanced of a team.
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:08 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:Beach to Cavalier lists out at 437 miles on Google Maps. Is that the longest playoff game road trip of the season? I think Bowman traveled to Langdon a couple years ago, but Google Maps has that slightly shorter than this trip. I know this topic was brought up last year or the year prior too, but it's always fun to look at these types of things.

The trip i see comes out in time by google within just couple of minutes either way its long ride on bus and even if you come day before you still have long bus ride because towns where you can stay and house football team are still long ways from Cavalier if you are taking short way to Cavalier. yes i would say this makes it hard for Beach to be the winner especially playing against quality program like Cavalier. I have made that trip several times myself and will be hard to have fresh legs and not show fatigue later in the game. Also it will be long bus ride home after a big game glad they are young and full of energy.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bstark28 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 am

B-oldtimer wrote:
ChickenNuggets wrote:Beach to Cavalier lists out at 437 miles on Google Maps. Is that the longest playoff game road trip of the season? I think Bowman traveled to Langdon a couple years ago, but Google Maps has that slightly shorter than this trip. I know this topic was brought up last year or the year prior too, but it's always fun to look at these types of things.

The trip i see comes out in time by google within just couple of minutes either way its long ride on bus and even if you come day before you still have long bus ride[b][b] because towns where you can stay and house football team are still long ways from Cavalier[/b][/b] if you are taking short way to Cavalier. yes i would say this makes it hard for Beach to be the winner especially playing against quality program like Cavalier. I have made that trip several times myself and will be hard to have fresh legs and not show fatigue later in the game. Also it will be long bus ride home after a big game glad they are young and full of energy.

The Cedar Inn is literally across the street from Cavalier's field, so staying in Grafton, or elsewhere, wouldn't be necessary.
bstark28
NDPreps Rookie

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:28 pm

No offense but its not just place to sleep but places where they can feed large group of kids and right now where you keep down your risk of catching Covid-19 because just one person now catching this means end of your season. Cavalier like many of smaller towns just don't have facilities to handle this now so it becomes harder to travel with a team. Also going to larger towns like Grand Forks and Fargo are not low risk right now either so travel becomes bigger factor than in previous years. I would put it this way what you think if the situation was reversed you had to travel to Beach to play a game similar situations both small towns but Beach is along i-94 so there would be more stops to house a team closer but again your risk of player catching Covid-19 would be equal.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby birthday » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Beach’s coach said on the Dom izzo show on Monday that they were hoping to stay in mayville
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1footballfan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Kids are resilient !! They will be fine !!!
1footballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:38 pm

Cavalier over Beach 36-20

LaMoure over Linton 42-18.

LaMoure beats Cavalier in a great championship game.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:01 am

I haven't seem LaMoure/L-M play, but everyone is saying how good they are. If they can beat Linton/HMB by 3 or 4 touchdowns like everyone is predicting, they are an exceptional team. Personally, I expect a lot closer game, but like I said, I haven't seen LLM play, so I could be dead wrong.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:27 am

Thoughts on this Weekend's Games:

LaMoure vs. Linton: Should be a close game. Weather plays a part in how I would pick this outcome. If LaMoure is able to pass the ball and weather doesn't impact that aspect of the game I would pick LaMoure to go up late in the game by a few scores. If they have to keep it on the ground, I think it is a one score slug-fest that ends with LaMoure getting the last score. I'm not sure LaMoure has really been tested all season so if Linton jumps on them early or it comes down to the wire I would think that new situation might make things interesting. Should be a great one, good luck to both teams! 30 to 24 LaMoure wins.

Cavalier vs. Beach: The across the state game! Distance to go, logistics, and travel fatigue will be on the front of peoples' minds; but when your school is in its first ever semi-final they should have the energy to overcome that. Now to the game, I think this ends up being a close game early and Cavalier shifts into another gear late and pulls away with it. Beach needs to control the ball, eliminate turnovers, and play keep away from that explosive Cavalier offense. Cavalier needs to build on that dominate effort on defense from last week. Congratulations to Beach on making your first state semi-final and to Cavalier on retooling and remaining a top team in the state over such a substantial period of time. Good luck to both teams! 36 to 20 Cavalier wins.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby oldcolt » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:17 am

I think this is what makes the playoffs so much fun to follow. Last year I think FSHP and Cavalier were considered favorites going into the Semi-Finals. This time of year injuries, field conditions, weather and even individual matchups for a team can make a big difference.

I think both games should be very good games, although I'm unsure how the travel will affect the Beach team. All 4 teams appear to be very well coached and I think there is going to be 2 very physical games. I think both games could go either way but I'm going to pick Cavalier and Linton, both in 1 score games although it wouldn't surprise me if both games go the other way.

Should be an interesting Saturday of football around the state.
oldcolt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Linton-HMB with a nice win over Lamoure today. It was a fun game to watch on BEK. Both QB's looked good and both offenses looked good.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Linton-HMB with a nice win over Lamoure today. It was a fun game to watch on BEK. Both QB's looked good and both offenses looked good.

I had not seen either team play, but if I was going to make a prediction I would have picked Lamoure to win by 30+. Glad I didn't.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Flip wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Linton-HMB with a nice win over Lamoure today. It was a fun game to watch on BEK. Both QB's looked good and both offenses looked good.

I had not seen either team play, but if I was going to make a prediction I would have picked Lamoure to win by 30+. Glad I didn't.

Not having a dog in the fight it was fun to just sit back and watch. BEK is awesome!!!! Looking forward to the Dakota Bowl where I don't have a dog in any of the fights and I can just sit back and watch some good football all day!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Cavalier Tornadoes riding eleven game winning streak last loss was to Kidder County in the 9 Man Title Game.

Linton-HMB Lions on a two game winning streak.

Cavalier has won the only two meetings between these teams in 2009, (9-6) and last year's semi-finals 30-22 in 2OT.

My prediction: Linton-HMB gets revenge from last season's playoff exit. Lions roar to the 9 Man 24-20.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:42 pm

This one could be a real battle all the way to the end, just like last year's semi-final! I think Cavalier having been to the dome last year could be the difference. I don't see them going two years in a row and coming home empty-handed. Cavalier wins 38-28
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 am

I’ll take Linton 36-30, the strongest Region in the state prevails.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man