Game Program/Rosters

The teams in 9 Man

Game Program/Rosters

Postby winner-within » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:24 pm

I have never been one to totally scan or lets say evaluate a Program handed out at a game and lets just say I've been to a couple of games in my life.....but this year I have made a note to compare Rosters in the sense of how many players and how many teams are young (Fresh/Soph) or JR. Sr. heavy per say......

NapGS is the only team Cav has played with less on the Roster (20).....Cav has 24 with 4 that haven't played all season due to injury.....not sure of Naps injury issue's.....I do remember last year (while out at Nap in the 2nd round) noticing that they were young just like Cav was, Nap with a couple Seniors (if I remember right) and Cav with none.....Cav had not one JV game because of Numbers this season......I guess my point is, yesterday there were 2 true true 9-man team going at it, in the sense of, thats all each team could field no matter.....

Cav has never had a co-op in Football and when looking geographically, I wonder where NapGS go if the day comes when they need more numbers for their Roster.......by far the most Hard-nosed team I've seen in a couple of seasons and I want to tip my hat to them.....I talked to young Fettig and his Mom when they arrived back at the field yesterday and they said it was a bad ankle sprain.....was very glad to hear nothing broken!.....very well coached team and very good sportsmanship.....both teams scored over 30 and the thermometer never hit 30....

back to the Roster.......please feel free to share input on what you see out there, very few schools in 9-man are growing in enrollment and we are continuously dealing with adversity in not only the game/games but in filling a Roster!...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Game Program/Rosters

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:25 pm

I think that's why you see 6 man football beginning. Also would let some of the coops now the schools in those coops to have there own football team. The other factor is parents are not so gun ho to have there kids playing football like in the past so numbers are dropping. The issue of injury and head injury is having effect on the game.
I also believe the game has changed in my lifetime in that kids have gotten bigger and stronger over the years some of it is just that kids are bigger today than my generation. The second thing is pretty much all schools now have weight lifting program to strengthen and build these kids up. It has made them bigger and better players but also it has meant for more physical and violent game where we see more injuries than in the past. Its just simple back in my day 200 pound kid were very few most kids were in 150 to 160 lb. and now we have kids who are 200 and some almost up to 300 lbs. So when kids like this hit each other even with better equipment the contact is much more severe. Then you add in the kids that are 140 to 160 you get injuries. Now parents have been informed about longterm impact of those injuries they are not so willing to have there kids participate in football. I hear it from my wife all time and I bet there other mothers are the same way and not to say that fathers don't think about it either.
Also number of school age children is not increasing in rural areas of the state. Especially in eastern ND we continue to see no growth in school age children in schools but we have large distances between schools and towns. The actual education of kids has been helped by technology where these rural schools are offering better education than we had even 10 to 15 years ago but extra curricular activities has fallen behind because today we have less participation than we had in the past. Quality of play is better but participation, interest, and involvement has dropped. I have talked about it for years but I don't see any willingness by public, schools, activities association, coaches, parents, and administrators to address the problems and talk to kids why they are not participating.
So here is my last word on it some schools in near future just won't have football or other sports because the numbers are not there for the sport. If kid wants to play football or some other sport it will be left up to them find a place to play. Sounds harsh but its going to be the reality of it near future.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:27 pm

I hear everything you are saying B-oldtimer, although I'm not pessimistic about it....
I think there are many scenarios to the Rosters and the numbers but I don't think its all negative, I just think it is reality and like I had stated it is adversity in itself........my main point was the are "true true" 9-Man teams having only enough for a 9-man Varsity and then there are some teams with 30-35..........
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Winner within I was looking at Cavaliers roster and I see that your numbers on the roster is 22 which I believe is down from 2 years ago when you had around 30 kids out for football. There could be many reasons for this but I just see it a lot that numbers seem to be dropping. When Cavalier and Napoleon rosters are getting down to minimum to run a 9 man program two of best long term football programs in North Dakota things are changing in football. I was looking at Cavalier according to the football plan there male population in two year plan is 62 kids and you have 22 kids out for football about 1/3 participation. Napoleon GS has about 44 kids by two year plan so they have about 45% participation rate in the program. If you would look back couple years ago you would have seen much higher participation rate. I think this is reaction to the sport because of potential for injury in football. I may be all wrong here but I think something is happening with football and I think its happening nationally and going to have effect on the game at all levels.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 am

B-oldtimer, Pembina County North Grizzlies have a few co-ops up north that involve Cavalier and Walhalla, Neche, Pembina (North Border) one of them is Cross Country Track....CCT is the main reason there has been a drop in Football numbers.....I will go on to say that the CCT program has been a very positive aspect to the sports programs in the the Co-op....Jeff Manley (Cav supt.) is the coach and he's good! and I believe that if a student gets more fulfillment from one extracurricular than the next, then by all means follow your soul....

I know that what you state in reference to football and the potential for injury has some relevance....I do hope that the rule changes and the precautions and equipment help in detouring that......
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 pm

winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man