Playoff Prediction Thread

The teams in 9 Man

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:42 pm

madseason wrote:I think the big A schools should go AA to make that class bigger and the big 9 man schools move up to A? Seems like a lot of 9 man teams even with the coops. Cavalier should have never went 9 man with the program they have. Shiloh should also be A. Or like you said get rid of AA the bigger schools go AAA and the smaller go to A?


I had started a thread about Numbers and such....but one can do it here too...

Never should have elected to?
Or never should have been able to?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby bulldog_power » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:08 pm

From my understanding the NDHSAA puts you where you belong according to your enrollment. However, schools can “opt” up if they want. I also believe enrollment is the only true way to make the divisions and agree with run that the free and reduced multiplayer needs to go away. Count all the boys in the school as part of the enrollment.
As for the game, good luck to both teams this Friday.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:12 pm

I could be wrong on this, but I believe if a school chooses to "Opt-up" there has to be a school that agrees to go down, otherwise the "Opt up" school has to stay put.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Trump » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Just because a school has a great program doesn't mean they should have to play up a class. A good program is a good program, and the numbers are the numbers. Cavalier had a very small squad this year, last year, and looks like next year too.
Trump
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby birthday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:38 pm

The Schwab wrote:I could be wrong on this, but I believe if a school chooses to "Opt-up" there has to be a school that agrees to go down, otherwise the "Opt up" school has to stay put.

If I remember right, Minot Ryan opted-up and Shiloh opted-ed down
birthday
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby EEDA » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 pm

I believe that Nedrose, Killdeer and Minot Ryan opted up to A, which allowed Oakes,Trenton/Trinity and Shiloh to move down to 9-man . Ryan was the last school to opt up and Shiloh was the last to move down.
EEDA
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 pm

The Class A Championship has 2 teams with similar numbers (lang, 31 HCV, 34) in reference to how many go out for football (roster) not how many Boys go to that respective HS or any Schools combined or co-oped with each team....both teams are banged up a bit and it should be a battle....I say Langdon will prevail although .......now on the track of Opt up, Opt down, IMO there should be none of that dictating which division a school is in.....somebody pointed out that SC has come along fast since the begining a few years back....
should this be a surprise to anyone? No, fact is they reside in a place where they can draw Athletes (numbers) and not from the inner city so much but from many Class B schools in the area also....nothing takin' away from them, it is now 2017 and the landscape is changing like many have stated before in Class B everything.....SC could be the new D-Trinity out west per say.......Schools build to WIN, co-ops happen to help WIN, contrary to any other beliefs......But just like Hockey, Just like Basketball, Just like Baseball, experience (seniors) and Depth are the Number one factors, even over Coaches and Coaches know that!......so when an Epping almost beats a Hillsboro? (e.g. Basketball 1977) its a big deal! 40 years later, way less same scenario possibilities...But still a big Deal, regardless of Tradition, regardless of Program, because the players 1,2,3,10,20,30 years graduated, that dominated, are not the players playing....and more than likely had more numbers.... :)

with the prediction to the 9-man matchup Friday?...I believe also there is an element of who recoups the quickest in 6 days that plays along with depth and numbers....Not sure of the battle SC had....W-L had a battle but they have Seniors (experience)......I will still say numbers help the most and Shiloh wins....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby bulldog_power » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Appreciate the insight winner-within. I don’t think anyone would deny that when you have more numbers, generally that means you can find more athletes. However, that is not the number one factor in if teams win or lose. Let’s look at triple A. Minot has a couple hundred more boys than any other school and they haven’t won any championships in football lately. That could change this weekend of course. I think we have to give these coaches more credit, yes having great athletes helps, but the good programs win year in year out because of the cultures those coaches have created. That culture is also some of the reason they get kids to come out and have bigger rosters. Just a couple examples from this year where numbers didn’t matter , nepolean won there region while linton had a lot more players out. Cavalier beat St. John, beach beat Mott and then MLS who had 35 kids out and beach only had 16-18 I think. Again, I agree that more kids could mean more players, but let’s give some credit to the coaches in our state who do a great job with our young men in all divisions.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 pm

bulldog_power wrote:Appreciate the insight winner-within. I don’t think anyone would deny that when you have more numbers, generally that means you can find more athletes. However, that is not the number one factor in if teams win or lose. Let’s look at triple A. Minot has a couple hundred more boys than any other school and they haven’t won any championships in football lately. That could change this weekend of course. I think we have to give these coaches more credit, yes having great athletes helps, but the good programs win year in year out because of the cultures those coaches have created. That culture is also some of the reason they get kids to come out and have bigger rosters. Just a couple examples from this year where numbers didn’t matter , nepolean won there region while linton had a lot more players out. Cavalier beat St. John, beach beat Mott and then MLS who had 35 kids out and beach only had 16-18 I think. Again, I agree that more kids could mean more players, but let’s give some credit to the coaches in our state who do a great job with our young men in all divisions.
......

Minot is a Basketball City and a very good one (no disrespect) and Nap has been setting up for this year and now will have tremendous trouble finding numbers to reload year in, year out, from here on out one would think ....but I do see your point and I think more and more we are seeing duel and tri-sport athletes across the board (all divisions) contribute to Football....I took nothing away from a Coach, in fact a Good Coach will tell you its all about strong points, its all about concepts and a coachable player along with ability to fill the position...then its to put those things on the field and make things happen.....in 9-man it can be where even 3 players change the tide....11 man? different story.....I'm not a football guy (total knowledge of it) even though I've been to a zillion games and watched a zillion more....but I feel I am a sports guy and the speed of W-L (especially number 11) could be a handful for SC if the whole squad has recouped as best they can in 6 days and go on to play a 9am game Fri morning (all factors).....with that said if my prediction is wrong I will not be surprised!....good luck to both teams!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Buck » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:22 pm

I think I saw the state championship last weekend. So I will take W/L by 20+.
Buck
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Trump » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:02 am

It's game day...first off, what a battle for these two teams to be successful enough to make it to this great game. Congratulations on that. W-L is my pick for state champs by 2 touchdowns. Best of luck to both teams.
Trump
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am

WELL that was quick...Warbirds score on opening kickoff!
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13513
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 am

4th and 10 on the 40. Don't punt.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:53 am

Flip wrote:4th and 10 on the 40. Don't punt.

9 man football when you're going to need a ton of points you should only be punting in rare circumstances.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am

Flip wrote:
Flip wrote:4th and 10 on the 40. Don't punt.

9 man football when you're going to need a ton of points you should only be punting in rare circumstances.


If you trust your defense, nothing wrong with it...Not sure I would want a good team to get the ball with only 60 yards to go...instead of 80+
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13513
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby NDPREP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

What organization does the commentator keep referencing that the coaches belong too? Some inside joke? Seca or Sica not sure what he is saying, mentioned it 4-5 times already when they haven't punted...
NDPREP
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:04 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 am

HALFTIME
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 26
Shiloh Christian 20

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood Leading Stats
Passing: Wyatt Harles 3-5 88 yards & 1 TD
Rushing: Luke Foertsch 3 carries for 96 yards & 2 TDs
Receiving: Andres Vasquez 2 receptions for 82 yards & 1 TD

Shiloh Christian Leading Stats
Passing: Jaden Mitzel 3-4 62 yards & 2 TDs
Rushing: Canaan Fagerland 21 carries for 94 yards
Receiving: Jonas Mitzel 2 receptions for 52 yards & 2 TDs
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13513
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:If you trust your defense, nothing wrong with it...Not sure I would want a good team to get the ball with only 60 yards to go...instead of 80+

"Trust your defense," is an outdated cliche. Zero evidence that you should trust your defense today (46 first half points). 20 yards of field position is basically nothing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:If you trust your defense, nothing wrong with it...Not sure I would want a good team to get the ball with only 60 yards to go...instead of 80+

"Trust your defense," is an outdated cliche. Zero evidence that you should trust your defense today (46 first half points). 20 yards of field position is basically nothing.


Shiloh didn't score after that punt...the actually exchanged punts. The coaches were both probably playing the 'field position' game...worked better for the Warbirds then the Skyhawks (Foertsch had big run after Shiloh's punt).

9-Man in ND is all about speed with all this extra space. I'd be interested to see some of the scores in ND if they did like MN and narrowed the field?!
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13513
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby NDPREP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm

NDPREP wrote:What organization does the commentator keep referencing that the coaches belong too? Some inside joke? Seca or Sica not sure what he is saying, mentioned it 4-5 times already when they haven't punted...


Just heard him say South Eastern Coaches Association which sounds like an inside joke he keeps referencing...
NDPREP
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:04 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Bacon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Well, Shiloh gets one more chance next year before they go 11 man.
Bacon
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:43 am

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 pm

FINAL
#2 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 60
RV Shiloh Christian 26

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood Leading Stats
Passing: Wyatt Harles 9-11 for 208 yards & 2 TDs
Rushing: Luke Foertsch 10 carries for 168 yards & 4 TDs
Receiving: Andres Vasques 6 receptions for 165 yards & 1 TD
**Luke Foertsch also had 1 receiving TD & a 97 yard KO Return TD; 6 TDs ties Dakota Bowl Record

Shiloh Christian Leading Stats
Passing: Jaden Mitzel 5-7 for 120 yards & 3 TDs
Rushing: Canaan Fagerland 27 carries for 136 yards
Receiving: Canaan Fagerland 2 reception for 55 yards & 1 TD; Jonas Mitzel 2 receptions for 52 yards & 2 TDs
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13513
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby birthday » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm

East wins again
birthday
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby EEDA » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:If you trust your defense, nothing wrong with it...Not sure I would want a good team to get the ball with only 60 yards to go...instead of 80+

"Trust your defense," is an outdated cliche. Zero evidence that you should trust your defense today (46 first half points). 20 yards of field position is basically nothing.


Shiloh didn't score after that punt...the actually exchanged punts. The coaches were both probably playing the 'field position' game...worked better for the Warbirds then the Skyhawks (Foertsch had big run after Shiloh's punt).

9-Man in ND is all about speed with all this extra space. I'd be interested to see some of the scores in ND if they did like MN and narrowed the field?!


The width of a MN 9-man football field is 40 yards. A regulation football field is 53 yards wide. If ND adopted the 40 yd width scoring would probably go down, but the game would be more realistic. IMO
EEDA
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby packers21 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:37 pm

EEDA wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:If you trust your defense, nothing wrong with it...Not sure I would want a good team to get the ball with only 60 yards to go...instead of 80+

"Trust your defense," is an outdated cliche. Zero evidence that you should trust your defense today (46 first half points). 20 yards of field position is basically nothing.


Shiloh didn't score after that punt...the actually exchanged punts. The coaches were both probably playing the 'field position' game...worked better for the Warbirds then the Skyhawks (Foertsch had big run after Shiloh's punt).

9-Man in ND is all about speed with all this extra space. I'd be interested to see some of the scores in ND if they did like MN and narrowed the field?!


The width of a MN 9-man football field is 40 yards. A regulation football field is 53 yards wide. If ND adopted the 40 yd width scoring would probably go down, but the game would be more realistic. IMO


Haha more realistic!!! More realistic like watching Shanley and St. Mary’s have to beat the 8 other teams in their class so they can play each other every year ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests