Region 1

The teams in 9 Man

Region 1

Postby district2fanog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:37 am

I think this region is down quite a bit this year.

I see Hank and W/L is the top two teams. They are the biggest and most athletic teams.
Richland is close behind. They have not played anyone yet except Kindred and that was ugly.

I will say Hankinson wins this region and has the best chance of making a run in the playoffs. They have the best player in the Region with Mauch. They also have the best coaching staff and head coach in the area.

Should be fun, you have to love the fall season!
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Region 1

Postby footballislife33 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Hankinsons coaching staff is very good, and their head coach is excellent. But, Richland's head coach is one of the best, if not the best coach in the state. He's coaching a team with 6 seniors (3 of which started last year) and the rest of the team is freshmen and sophomores, not every coach can do that.
footballislife33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

footballislife33 wrote:Hankinsons coaching staff is very good, and their head coach is excellent. But, Richland's head coach is one of the best, if not the best coach in the state. He's coaching a team with 6 seniors (3 of which started last year) and the rest of the team is freshmen and sophomores, not every coach can do that.

Good call. I forgot about him as it is only his second season. I would give the nod to Scott Strenge from WL however. Strenge has won playing many styles. He understands that at a small school you need to fit a system to your players. You can't just take a system and make it fit to what you have for players at a small school. Jason Monilaws, Hankinson's coach is a fine coach also.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:15 pm

d_fense wrote:Good call. I forgot about him as it is only his second season. I would give the nod to Scott Strenge from WL however. Strenge has won playing many styles. He understands that at a small school you need to fit a system to your players. You can't just take a system and make it fit to what you have for players at a small school. Jason Monilaws, Hankinson's coach is a fine coach also.

Linton has done it for ~35 years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Flip wrote:
d_fense wrote:Good call. I forgot about him as it is only his second season. I would give the nod to Scott Strenge from WL however. Strenge has won playing many styles. He understands that at a small school you need to fit a system to your players. You can't just take a system and make it fit to what you have for players at a small school. Jason Monilaws, Hankinson's coach is a fine coach also.

Linton has done it for ~35 years.

I disagree. You may call them a small school, but their numbers traditionally don't say that. They are or were always an off tackle team first, but they do change thing up when their personnel calls for it. And I believe the reason they have traditionally been an off tackle team is because they normally have better and more players than their competition. How have their basketball and wrestling teams faired over the years? Pretty well, especially considering most class B schools can't field a strong basketball and wrestling program.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby bulldog_power » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:46 pm

It's 9man football. I am sure a ton of the coaches in the state do that every year. It's just the nature of 9man football. You get a couple years where your pretty young. I am sure a lot of teams in the state in 9man don't even have 6 seniors on there roster. I am not saying he isn't a good coach, because he is a good coach. I just dont like your logic for why he is a good coach.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack Squad » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:27 pm

footballislife33 wrote:Hankinsons coaching staff is very good, and their head coach is excellent. But, Richland's head coach is one of the best, if not the best coach in the state. He's coaching a team with 6 seniors (3 of which started last year) and the rest of the team is freshmen and sophomores, not every coach can do that.

Hankinson starts 2 seniors, 3 juniors, and 4 sophomores. Their next two in are a sophomore and a freshman. I would say Hankinson is a younger team that Richland.

I also think they have the best player in the region and maybe state in Cody Mauch. The kid is 6'5", has some of the best hands I've ever seen at any level, and a complete stud at DE.
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby footballislife33 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:36 pm

Even though Richland has 6 seniors, only 3 of them started a game last year, the other three weren't even on the roster st the beginning of the year last year... so these are some of the first games for 6 of the 9 starters. Plus, the freshmen and sophomores that are playing are playing at key skill positions like WR and DBs. Freshmen and sophomores don't come out and play a significant role in a team that often, so a lot of the credit has to go to their head coach.
footballislife33
NDPreps Reserve

Return to 9 - Man