2013 State Championship

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 2013 State Championship

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Flip wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:Great wording momma or dad, we all love those boys for how hard they worked. I will be the first to admit that I did not see them going as far this year as they did last year. They accomplished so much more than I thought they would. Going from 11 man to 9 man is considered one of the hardest moves in high school football.

according to who?

According to almost every coach that I have talked to that has went from 11 man down to 9 man. Even the TV coach that the commentating the game friday morning said the same thing. Two less players on the field. You get one really good broken tackle and you are gone.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:I'm not saying Chest isn't a good player. He would play at any level and can play in college. He's good, but he's not near as good as Johanneson. What I'm saying is that a lot of people will think a 9 man star is better than the AAA star just because they put up bigger numbers. Are they sometimes? Maybe. But in this case Johanneson, like I said, as Big Ten potential. Still some people think Chrest is better cause he ran for 300+ yards. In 9 man, you make one guy miss and you're gone where it takes an incredibly impressive play usually to bust one, in a 11 man game in general, but especially a AAA game.

your still missing it completely Indy....I would say nobody (especially on this forum) thinks this....Johanasson and Chrest are 2 completely different players...Finesse, headsy slasher, incredible vision & glue defender vs raw power and grace running back.....if youve seen what Cam Newton (create plays with his canniness) does in the NFL? then you've seen what Ryan can and could do in 9-man 1A, AA, AAA north dakota...does he have less of one or so stats in different divisions? probably...but I would guarantee he still has picks and TD's and long runs where no one could catch him....

You are both making it sound like Ryan Chrest is not good at what he does. He just had a season of dreams and you are tearing him down.

Ryan Chrest, congrats on the awesome season and the championship. Many good lucks and many successes on what you choose to do in the future. All of ND will be watching.

Hopefully you and Hunter can play either with or against each other some day.

you must not know how to read If you think I dont think Ryan is the real deal.....where am I tearing him down??? I just compared him to Cam Newton (do you know who that is??)...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:26 pm

winner-within wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:I'm not saying Chest isn't a good player. He would play at any level and can play in college. He's good, but he's not near as good as Johanneson. What I'm saying is that a lot of people will think a 9 man star is better than the AAA star just because they put up bigger numbers. Are they sometimes? Maybe. But in this case Johanneson, like I said, as Big Ten potential. Still some people think Chrest is better cause he ran for 300+ yards. In 9 man, you make one guy miss and you're gone where it takes an incredibly impressive play usually to bust one, in a 11 man game in general, but especially a AAA game.

your still missing it completely Indy....I would say nobody (especially on this forum) thinks this....Johanasson and Chrest are 2 completely different players...Finesse, headsy slasher, incredible vision & glue defender vs raw power and grace running back.....if youve seen what Cam Newton (create plays with his canniness) does in the NFL? then you've seen what Ryan can and could do in 9-man 1A, AA, AAA north dakota...does he have less of one or so stats in different divisions? probably...but I would guarantee he still has picks and TD's and long runs where no one could catch him....

You are both making it sound like Ryan Chrest is not good at what he does. He just had a season of dreams and you are tearing him down.

Ryan Chrest, congrats on the awesome season and the championship. Many good lucks and many successes on what you choose to do in the future. All of ND will be watching.

you must not know how to read If you think I dont think Ryan is the real deal.....where am I tearing him down??? I just compared him to Cam Newton (do you know who that is??)...

Cam Newton is the QB for the Jacksonville Jaguars and beat the Patriots on Monday night with a final minute touchdown to Ted Ginn Jr.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Cam Newton is the QB for the Jacksonville Jaguars and beat the Patriots on Monday night with a final minute touchdown to Ted Ginn Jr.

I was sure he played for the Panthers but thanks anyways..... :?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:43 pm

winner-within wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I was sure he played for the Panthers but thanks anyways..... :?

Yep, I was wrong about it all.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:33 pm

winner-within wrote:
your still missing it completely Indy....I would say nobody (especially on this forum) thinks this..

My comments were directed at HONKER who said Chrest was the best player of the day, so he thinks that. I was also kind of speaking in general. I feel sometimes 9 man players get hyped up because of the giant numbers they can put up.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
your still missing it completely Indy....I would say nobody (especially on this forum) thinks this..

My comments were directed at HONKER who said Chrest was the best player of the day, so he thinks that. I was also kind of speaking in general. I feel sometimes 9 man players get hyped up because of the giant numbers they can put up.

I dont hype based on division....they list johannsson at 6'3 211...they list Ryan at 6'0 180...hes all of 6'2" 6'3' his brother Brandon is 6'4" 6'5"...hes a much bigger, stronger player than you think he is....do this...list the 3 best players of the day based on performance and ability related to the season and the day......I will tell you what people do in general, they speculate what can and may happen after high school...believe me, there have been hundreds of kids in the last 50 years in ND that could have went on and made a name, but for different reasons (some good some not so good) they didnt....when it comes to a 16, 17 , 18 year old kid still in high school, you have to live in the moment....I respect all posts on this forum, but a person always knows when the sting of a victory doesnt set right....thats Sports... 8)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Indy, you need to go back and read my post. I said he was the best player on the field on Friday in my own opinion. People need to let up on the 9 man versus 11man. The biggest difference isn't on the field its on the side line. More players, deeper athletic pools to pick from. Les players that play both ways on 11 man. 9 man you play with what you got whether its 12 guys or 25 guys. You play.
Indy if we had a pick up game I would take Chrest over Johanneson because when he's done running all over the field or throwing the football he will hit you on the D side of the ball. Johanneson, well you get 30 to 40 carries a game.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:According to almost every coach that I have talked to that has went from 11 man down to 9 man. Even the TV coach that the commentating the game friday morning said the same thing. Two less players on the field. You get one really good broken tackle and you are gone.

I guess I just don't understand why it would be a hard transition to make. It's still football.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby north1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Crest-Ellusive, very very much so. Real fast, I don't know. Only saw him in the championship game, but on play 58 of the game in the second quarter he is ran down from behind and stopped from scoring despite a nice stiffarm.

Question. Sorry some of these players names being thrown around I'm not real familiar with. Have any really went to the next level. I don't mean UND or NDSU level but to a major college? Also, did any go beyond that somewhat akin to what Jim Kleinsasser did? I realize he was single A at Carrington, but I think it would be comparable.
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SCCconferenceinsider » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Quit over analyzing Chrest! Let him enjoy the rest of his senior year. He still has basketball to worry about ... Wait, to have fun with. Honestly, we will see him play defensive back somewhere in the state, don't know where yet. Let the kids enjoy their win at state.
SCCconferenceinsider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:24 am

winner-within wrote:do this...list the 3 best players of the day based on performance and ability related to the season and the day

1. Johanneson of South- As I said before icredible size, strength, speed, vision, and balance. The balance was the amazing part. Someone I was watching the game with commented that he never goes down hard, and that's because of his balance. Hits never rock him they just kinda knock him off track and eventually he goes down from people hanging on him. He's rushed for over 4000 through his junior year playing AAA teams and like I said he has major D1 talent

2. Ricky Galindo of Bismarck- Not near as big as Johanneson and you can argue he's got a great line and a team commited to running, but he has good vision, strength, and quickness. He finds holes very well and finishes runs well. He's just a very polished back that doesn't do anything poorly. Did have some fumble issues in the title game though. Also a durable back

3. Chrest- great athlete and elusive in the open field. You have to admit though some of that tackling was just awful. He is a very good player though. I'd say he's definitely better on D. He can play DB at the next level. I'd expect probably a D2 school. Did he attempt a pass in the title game? I can't remember one.

I also loved the Ty Brooks kid from South. He's definitely an exciting player, but I don't think he made he enough plays to consider him instead of Chrest. The ones he made were huge though, and the other problem is Chrest is just a lot bigger than him. He has a lot of spirtability though.

Next on the list would probably be 3 St. Marys kids. Noah Krebs is a very good outside linebacker. Very aggressive and hits well. Also a perfect fullback. Very useful player. Their tailback Jacob Heinart was impressive. Super quick feet and he's only a sophmore. And Brian Obstrich was a big time receiver. Big, athletic and good ball skills.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

Anyone have some opinions on how Cavalier would have done playing against either of the two teams that played for the class A championship?
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:24 am

Sniper wrote:Anyone have some opinions on how Cavalier would have done playing against either of the two teams that played for the class A championship?

They would have lost to both teams if they would have played 11 man. If they would have played 9 man, I think they could have a chance to beat Milnor/N.S., but probably not Hazen. If either of class A teams would have had to play 9 man, I think their offenses would have changed drastically. In all likelihood they would have both started different qb's to take advantage of the open field for a running qb in 9 man. I think Cavalier would have trouble with both of the class A teams depth.

I don't think there is any question that Cavalier's 3 to players (In my opinion), Crest, Stith, and Robins would have been among the best players on either of the Class A teams.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby steel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:04 pm

I think you are selling them a little short. I agree with the depth comment if they played 11 man. I think they would have beat either one if they played 9-man. I know a lot of years the 9man champ would have probably won 11man. Hillsboro and WL championship teams come to mind. I know a HOF AA coach who has dominated those ranks recently that said it was easier to win a AA championship than at the lower division. It all depends on the year and the team
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 pm

steel wrote:I think you are selling them a little short. I agree with the depth comment if they played 11 man. I think they would have beat either one if they played 9-man. I know a lot of years the 9man champ would have probably won 11man. Hillsboro and WL championship teams come to mind. I know a HOF AA coach who has dominated those ranks recently that said it was easier to win a AA championship than at the lower division. It all depends on the year and the team

Of coarse it is easier to win at a higher level. You are competing with fewer teams. That does not mean that the larger schools do not have more higher end players. It is just the law of averages. It does not mean that the best player in the state on any given year couldn't be a 9 man kid.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 am

Indy5 wrote:1. Johanneson of South- As I said before icredible size, strength, speed, vision, and balance. The balance was the amazing part. Someone I was watching the game with commented that he never goes down hard, and that's because of his balance. Hits never rock him they just kinda knock him off track and eventually he goes down from people hanging on him. He's rushed for over 4000 through his junior year playing AAA teams and like I said he has major D1 talent

Just curious, what do you consider "major D1 talent."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:02 am

d_fense wrote:Of coarse it is easier to win at a higher level. You are competing with fewer teams. That does not mean that the larger schools do not have more higher end players. It is just the law of averages. It does not mean that the best player in the state on any given year couldn't be a 9 man kid.

Run, you guys went in the wrong direction. You should have moved up to AA instead of down to 9 man. It's easier to win in AA.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:11 am

It's called common sense. A class AA team needs to beat 15 similar sized schools, while a nine man team needs to beat 36 similar sized schools. (By beat I am saying that getting by them in a tournament format)

Have you heard of MATH Flip?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 pm

d_fense wrote:It's called common sense. A class AA team needs to beat 15 similar sized schools, while a nine man team needs to beat 36 similar sized schools. (By beat I am saying that getting by them in a tournament format)

Have you heard of MATH Flip?

You didn't mention the size of the school in your previous post. You just said it was easier to win because there are fewer schools. Also, the previous poster's insinuation was that best team between A and AA might be playing A for that particular season.
Last edited by Flip on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:28 am

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote:1. Johanneson of South- As I said before icredible size, strength, speed, vision, and balance. The balance was the amazing part. Someone I was watching the game with commented that he never goes down hard, and that's because of his balance. Hits never rock him they just kinda knock him off track and eventually he goes down from people hanging on him. He's rushed for over 4000 through his junior year playing AAA teams and like I said he has major D1 talent

Just curious, what do you consider "major D1 talent."

FBS talent is what I was referring to. I wanted to specify that because nowadays poeple consider NDSU D1 talent. Which it is, I just meant he could go bigger. And actually, in his case, I think he can play in a BCS conference.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:46 pm

IMO NDSU is more major than over half of the FBS schools. Just last week NDSU had a recruit that verballed to an ACC school and changed hit mind to verbal to NDSU. Obviously a different story for most of the other FCS schools.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Flip wrote:IMO NDSU is more major than over half of the FBS schools. Just last week NDSU had a recruit that verballed to an ACC school and changed hit mind to verbal to NDSU. Obviously a different story for most of the other FCS schools.

Yeah they definitely are on a different level than the rest of the FCS right now. Interesting story, where was this recruit from? And I think if they were in a BCS conference (Big Ten specifically) I'd say they could go about .500 or maybe a little better. It's tough to say because they always beat those bottom half of BCS conference teams, but you can also look at it as it's the biggest game of NDSU's season and the other team doesn't care that much.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 am

Marcus Collins from Madison, WI. Turned down offers from 5 other FBS schools. He had verballed to Pitt.
http://bisonation.info/athlete-marcus-c ... -wi-offer/

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to 9 - Man