2013 State Championship

The teams in 9 Man

2013 State Championship

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Friday, November 15th
R2#1 Cavalier 54 vs. R3#3 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn 6

State Champs: Cavalier (11-0)
Runner Up: Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (10-3)

Senior Athlete of the Year: Hunter Braaten, Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn
Coach of the Year: Sandy Laxdal, Cavalier
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2013 State Championship

Postby Bigcfan83 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Friday, November 15th
R2#1 Cavalier (10-0) vs. R3#3 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (10-2) @ 9:10am - FargoDome
Bigcfan83
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Friday, November 15th
R2#1 Cavalier (10-0) vs. R3#3 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (10-2) @ 9:10am - FargoDome

Not that this means anything but.... I want to build up some drama for this game.
WNG has beaten the #5, #2 and #3 ranked teams (according to final state poll) in this year's playoffs - all on the road.
Cavalier has been dominant - but none of the teams they played in the playoffs were ranked in the last poll.
Again, not that the polls mean anything - but extremely impressive nonetheless considering their last two opponents TGU and Shiloh were 2 of the 3 undefeateds left in state (Cavalier).

Cavalier hasn't had a game yet with anyone - obviously because of their dominance over anyone and everyone - but.... - They haven't seen anyone like the Braaten kid yet. and they haven't had to play an entire game trying to stop someone like him. I'm going with the big upset.

I am going to go with WNG in a tight game 26-24.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby bulldog_power » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Obvious you don't know much about football. Shiloh was easily a better team than Wgn but just not today. Give beaten credit he's a stud and has lead his team amazingly but he won't be enough to get by a veteran lead team like cavalier. I am guessing cavalier will win by 30 easily
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 am

bulldog_power wrote:Obvious you don't know much about football. Shiloh was easily a better team than Wgn but just not today. Give beaten credit he's a stud and has lead his team amazingly but he won't be enough to get by a veteran lead team like cavalier. I am guessing cavalier will win by 30 easily

I'm sorry you felt the need to attack my intelligence, so I will explain myself more intellectually. As you pointed out - Cavalier is veteran lead - with a grand total of 3 seniors compared to WNG's 4. Huge advantage in senior leadership for Cavalier. Cavalier also has that advantage of playing in the state championship game before.... Oh wait - that was WNG that played in the state championship last year with the same quarterback and many of the same offensive and defensive players.
Cavalier probably has more solid overall talent than WNG - I am not disputing that. They also have definitely been more dominant this year than WNG; all stats and facts lead to that conclusion.
I was simply trying to build up the fact that it is not a forgone conclusion that Cavalier will win, and that I am pulling for the underdog. That is my opinion - has nothing to do with knowledge of the game.
To make another point - I don't see how you can say Shiloh was easily a better team when WNG dominated them in the 1st half. If they were easily the better team - they wouldn't have been down by 20 at half-time. Shiloh dominated the 2nd half, and made one heck of a comeback - which they deserve a lot of credit as they are a great team.
All that being said - Cavalier still might win by 30+ - but I'm just predicting it the other way because, let's be honest - how many people on here or anywhere else thought WNG would even make a game of it with Shiloh? Strange things happen in sports. I like wishing for them when I see a cinderella story I enjoy watching. Has nothing to do with knowledge of football - just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't make me any less intelligent.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:42 am

R2#1 Cavalier (10-0) vs. R3#3 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (10-2)

Cavalier wins 52-14
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:56 am

I have refrained to predict any outcome scores of the Tornado games this playoff season simply because I have watched Cavalier so many years during deer season (the past 10 years) go down......Having said that all of those teams were solid and talented and tough.....but somebody was better.
The team representing the Cavalier School this year is simply amazing...there may never be another 9 man football team do what they have done....although I wont pick a Winner for the upcoming Championship in the Dome....I will just know that the same men will be there and knocking them off will be the biggest task any opponent could ask for....... :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby steel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 am

WNG is definitely a tough opponent and have earned their title berth. They went on a Cinderella run last year and have been very resilient . I know that Braaten is very talented and elusive but I don't believe Cavalier will let one guy beat them. WNG has given up 31 and 42 points in 2 playoff games against teams I don't think are as good as the Tornadoes. If they want a chance for an upset, their defense had better step up. The Cavalier team has great overall team speed and multiple weapons on offense so very hard to key on any one guy. Even though they haven't been in the championship game with this group, they are playoff tested having been in the semis, quarters, semis the last few years. I am sure both teams aren't satisfied getting there and will bring it. I do think it is a shame that state championship games are decided at 9 in the morning but at least the kids get the experience of playing in the dome. That being said, I will be cheering for the Tornadoes and I don't think this group will be denied. I don't ever recall any team going into Napoleon and their excellent tradition and putting that kind of beating on a region champion on their homefield. If Cavalier plays like that, good luck to WNG, they will need it!
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I did read on FB that there were a couple Nap alumni saying Cavalier has been running up the score all year and that they kept the starters in to long....dont agree...you see what happened at Shiloh
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby yellowjacket » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Will the game be broadcast online like in years past? I know nbc always had it online. I like the Sioux in a shootout 50-44.
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportFan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Food for thought on WNG. When a TEAM makes it to a State Championship, and does so 2 years in a row, it's not on the back of one or two individuals. It takes someone to throw the ball, an Offensive Line to give the quarterback time, and teammates to block down field. It takes a Defensive TEAM to make sacks, to make tackles, to makes stops on 4th down. It takes a TEAM to block punts and recover fumbles. Give the WNG TEAM credit. They have made it back to the State Championship when no one has given them a chance. They have won 3 playoff road games this year against 3 state ranked teams in the final polls-- 2 undefeated teams (Shiloh and TGU) and one that only had one loss (Grant County). Braaten is amazing! and so are the stats he has put up in each of the 3 playoff games. But so are the group of players/atheletes/coaches standing with him on the field and on the sideline.
SportFan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 pm

yellowjacket wrote:Will the game be broadcast online like in years past? I know nbc always had it online. I like the Sioux in a shootout 50-44.

I think it is on ABC, not sure about online.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Does anyone remember when Cavalier came down from AA to A after winning two or three in a row at the AA level. They killed everybody in the east that year. They were picked to do the same to the Velva team in the finals, Anderson was to run all over them, was not to be a game. And who came out on top?
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby HONKER » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:Does anyone remember when Cavalier came down from AA to A after winning two or three in a row at the AA level. They killed everybody in the east that year. They were picked to do the same to the Velva team in the finals, Anderson was to run all over them, was not to be a game. And who came out on top?

Don't think that will happen this year.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby steel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 am

The year Cavalier lost to Velva, Matt Anderson was about 50 percent, didn't even know he would be able to play or not. He got hurt with about 2 minutes left in the semis against Larimore. It was a sprained knee. Give Velva credit, they deserved to win. I know a football team is never a Total 1 man outfit, but he was as close to unstoppable on both sides of the ball at this level I have ever seen in over 30 years of watching ND football. I don't know if they would have won, but I do know it would have been an entirely different game. Injuries are a big part of the game. I heard WNG lost one of the best players to a broken leg and have been able to overcome that so extra props to them. I do believe it is going to be a shootout. Maybe the last team to get the balln wins. I will go on record to say whoever wins the turnover battle, wins the game.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 am

steel wrote:The year Cavalier lost to Velva, Matt Anderson was about 50 percent, didn't even know he would be able to play or not. He got hurt with about 2 minutes left in the semis against Larimore. It was a sprained knee. Give Velva credit, they deserved to win. I know a football team is never a Total 1 man outfit, but he was as close to unstoppable on both sides of the ball at this level I have ever seen in over 30 years of watching ND football. I don't know if they would have won, but I do know it would have been an entirely different game. Injuries are a big part of the game. I heard WNG lost one of the best players to a broken leg and have been able to overcome that so extra props to them. I do believe it is going to be a shootout. Maybe the last team to get the balln wins. I will go on record to say whoever wins the turnover battle, wins the game.

#13 has a sprained ankle .... no one on WNG has any broken bones.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 am

steel wrote:The year Cavalier lost to Velva, Matt Anderson was about 50 percent, didn't even know he would be able to play or not. He got hurt with about 2 minutes left in the semis against Larimore. It was a sprained knee. Give Velva credit, they deserved to win. I know a football team is never a Total 1 man outfit, but he was as close to unstoppable on both sides of the ball at this level I have ever seen in over 30 years of watching ND football. I don't know if they would have won, but I do know it would have been an entirely different game. Injuries are a big part of the game. I heard WNG lost one of the best players to a broken leg and have been able to overcome that so extra props to them. I do believe it is going to be a shootout. Maybe the last team to get the balln wins. I will go on record to say whoever wins the turnover battle, wins the game.

you dont worry how to stop Cavalier...you worry how to get past them
with 600 points on the boards and 38 given up its obvious what your up against..DEFENSE....I bolded your statements...one says "Maybe" and then you say "turn over battle" thats fair too but neither statement anchors a winner...I stated last week that the pressure is on Cavalier at Napoleon, why? because of the home field and the fact that folks were saying evn though they had lost to Lamoure in week 4 that they were a true #1...well this Friday morning the pressure is on their opponent, why? because the Tornado football team will go down as one of the most Dominant 9-man teams in the history of 9-man football in ND...and rightfully so.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:59 pm

I watched that game, for only 50% he sure ran well when he did break free.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:

There was no way the Tornados were beating Velva that game....you coulda brought back QB Oksendal from the year before and he and Matt still woulda lost....it takes an entire crew...like they had 02,03,04 and this year
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:23 pm

winner-within wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:

There was no way the Tornados were beating Velva that game....you coulda brought back QB Oksendal from the year before and he and Matt still woulda lost....it takes an entire crew...like they had 02,03,04 and this year

What I am stating is that nobody gave Velva a chance going into the game, in the paper and where ever. Just as you guys are doing to westhope.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:31 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:Does anyone remember when Cavalier came down from AA to A after winning two or three in a row at the AA level. They killed everybody in the east that year. They were picked to do the same to the Velva team in the finals, Anderson was to run all over them, was not to be a game. And who came out on top?

Yep. Exactly. And remember when Buster Douglass beat Mike Tyson? No one gave him a chance. And how about the Giants vs. Patriots in 2007 season Superbowl? No one gave the Giants a chance.

See a pattern forming?

I'll take Cavalier by 42.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:16 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
winner-within wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:

What I am stating is that nobody gave Velva a chance going into the game, in the paper and where ever. Just as you guys are doing to westhope.

Velva got the chance and won...they were actually favored by the Coaches poll........are you picking westhope
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 am

winner-within wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:
winner-within wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:

Velva got the chance and won...they were actually favored by the Coaches poll........are you picking westhope

No ties to any of the teams but I hope its a real close game or Westhope wins. Just because of the people who are saying that it will not be close or that Cavalier can not get beat>
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Thats a good way to look at it....and thats right, one should never take it for granted.. :) I know I haven't predicted a score...I quess its fair to those who have because of the dominense the tornados have shown...I hope its clean, with minimal turnovers and flags, and I hope its close and I hope the best team wins....And I cant wait for Basketball!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Great to see Cavalier back at the Dakota bowl!!! Best of luck to them!! Could care less how much they win by, wins a win!!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to 9 - Man