#2 Napoleon vs. Ellendale

The teams in 9 Man

#2 Napoleon vs. Ellendale

Postby 83football » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:45 am

Just wondering how everyone thinks this game is going to go.
Napoleon has had some solid teams in past years and again this year, but don't forget Ellendale knocked them off their undefeated season winning 8-6 back in 2005.
I think it's going to be a close game and not another blowout like it's being the last two years.
Last edited by 83football on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
83football
NDPreps Reserve

Re: #2 Napoleon vs. Ellendale

Postby throwingducks » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:54 am

Napoleon by atleast 20, Unless you can stop Laber from blocking for Gross, it will be atleast that much. Plus on defense he is a nightmare for opposing offenses, in talking to him he has constantly seen double teams and even some triple teams but is stll there for the tackle. And you need discipline to control gross, cuts way to good to tackle with one man, 9 times out of 10 the first man misses, Ask oakes how hard he is to stop or any other team for that fact that has played them this year. Then weigel or knudson slips out into the pattern and with 8 men in the box covering them is tough.

Prediction: Napoleon 38-12, gross goes for 200, arnold held under 100.

Good night to check the hype on arnold - dont think napoleon hasnt had that for bulletin board material!!!

remember just a prediciton, could easily come back and I have remove my foot from my mouth
throwingducks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 83football » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:04 am

Well here is my prediction Ellendale wins 24-20. Arnold is the key both on offense and defense everyone already knows this. Reisenauer helps Arnold out a lot being his FB and another LB to help make the tackles. It's just like Napoleon's Gross and Laber duo. Both excellent defenders. I think the game is going to come down to who's QB has a good game between Morrisey and Fettig.
83football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rudy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:17 am

Not even a close game. Napoleon by as many pts as they want.
rudy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby football45 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:22 am

Agreed....Napolean man handles them
football45
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:36 am

83football wrote:...Ellendale wins 24-20.

Ellendale gave up 30 points to South Border, I'm pretty sure they were all in the first 3 quarters too. 83football you should know you sound like you played in the game. So I would imagine they'll struggle to hold Napoleon under 30.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 83football » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:42 am

Flip wrote:
83football wrote:...Ellendale wins 24-20.

83football you should know you sound like you played in the game.

To be completely honest I did so happen play one of the games I spoke of, but that was back in 2005 when Ellendale beat Napoleon 8-6. I graduated in 2006.
83football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:29 pm

83football could you confirm/fix what I said about the South Border game?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:47 pm

I think the first couple of possessions will be tell tale, if Ellendale can get some stops and Arnold can get some room to run they may be able to hang, if it starts the way the Oakes game did with them scoring on the first several possessions, with no answer, it could be a long one.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby eastwood99 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Arnold will break 100 yards...maybe score a touchdown or two. But Napoleon will win because they simply have more talent.It's just my prediction,I maybe wrong as I have been many times in the past.
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ZP4L » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:07 pm

I think Ellendale has too many problems on defense to stop an offense like Napoleon (again, as said, South Border put up over 30 points). Their pass coverage is very lackluster and I've seen plenty of missed tackles from when I saw them. My prediction: Arnold will have a decent game but nothing special, around 100 yards, but it won't lead to many points. 42-12 is my prediction.

That being said, I love upsets and would be beside myself if Ellendale pulled off the victory.
ZP4L
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ZP4L » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:45 pm

The game should be about over, anybody know anything?
ZP4L
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:44 pm

2)Napoleon-GS 63
Ellendale 16
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Gross and Napolean too much for the Cardinals. Gross is unbelievably good. Arnold probably had over 100 yards, as he had a long TD run in the second quarter (yes gainst their varsity). But not much else.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby scrappingerman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:16 am

This game was over quickly. Ellendale fumbles the open kick off, next play Gross runs for about a 4o yd touchdown. Napoleon holds on the next series. Fettig hits Weigel for about a 30 yarder. Weigel breaks a few tackles cut acrossed the field gets tackled at the 1.
McCleary is doing an excellent job. Saw a lot of different sets. Now will have Gross lined up as QB in the shotgun with trips recievers. Gross just does a QB keeper. Tought to stop with his speed. They also do an option out of the formation. And twice Nap. Did a screen pass to Laber which went for big yards. One was a touchdown. Gross can throw pretty well. Through a couple down field with accuracy. Just to keep the D honest.
Plus when they wanted to take time off the clock. Nap went back to their basic smash mouth O. When teams exchange tapes for the play offs. This woudl be the one McCleary should send. Way to much to prepare for in a short week.
I am a long time Imperial fan. Going in to tonights game I didn't know what to expect. There is a history of intensity between the schools. But this game had me in awe. McCleary just seems to have figured out how to utelize all the talent he has. Infact, Knudson, who is a great receiver I don't think ever got a touch.
scrappingerman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eastwood99 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:20 pm

So how did Arnold do?
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Arnold ran for 156, had a 71 yarder, the rest was tough sledding. McCleary is a very good young coach, which he seems to have inherited from his father along with exemplary sportsmanship and class.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby scrappingerman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:17 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Arnold ran for 156, had a 71 yarder, the rest was tough sledding. McCleary is a very good young coach, which he seems to have inherited from his father along with exemplary sportsmanship and class.

Sarcasm noted. I'm sure this is in reference to several things. One of which maybe McCleary putting the starting D in near the end of the game to stop Ellendale/Arnold from scoring. I heard the rants from the Cardinal sidelines at the time. I thought how hypicritical they're complaining aboout McCleary putting the starting D in when Ellendale still had a majority of it's varisity O in. Most notably Arnold who had about 50 yards on that drive. Why? To pad his stats? The game was over. An unwritten protocol is once the game is "over" and one team puts in the JV the other team does also. Arnold is an impressive running back, no doubt, but get your yards against the best. NO asteriks**** allowed in 9 man stats.
scrappingerman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:00 am

scrappingerman wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Arnold ran for 156, had a 71 yarder, the rest was tough sledding. McCleary is a very good young coach, which he seems to have inherited from his father along with exemplary sportsmanship and class.

Sarcasm noted. I'm sure this is in reference to several things. One of which maybe McCleary putting the starting D in near the end of the game to stop Ellendale/Arnold from scoring. I heard the rants from the Cardinal sidelines at the time. I thought how hypicritical they're complaining aboout McCleary putting the starting D in when Ellendale still had a majority of it's varisity O in. Most notably Arnold who had about 50 yards on that drive. Why? To pad his stats? The game was over. An unwritten protocol is once the game is "over" and one team puts in the JV the other team does also. Arnold is an impressive running back, no doubt, but get your yards against the best. NO asteriks**** allowed in 9 man stats.

Interesting that a comment about him having class would immediately be noted as sarcasm. The Ellendale fans were not upset about the starting D being put back in, it came from after Barry came out on the field and started yelling at the Ellendale players. Oh and it was Morrissey who got most of the yards that drive, Nate only ran it a couple times with Orwig and Reisnauer getting some looks too. One point of note, Ellendale went from a completely different set that drive, taking the time to work on something different in a live game simulation that they may want to use during the remaining games. This should have been pretty clear to everyone, but apparently it wasnt. You may want to run through that "protocol" you reference with the Napolean coaches as the game was over in the second quarter and they were taking time outs to score again before the half, then played them all the way through and into the 4th. This is fine, its their choice to do so but it seems the hypocrisy lies elsewhere. This is to take nothing away from Napolean, they are clearly the better team and I expect that they will win it all and will congratulate them when they do. I just prefer that a grown man who has acheived so much and has been coaching for years not yell at high school kids.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby E@stern Executioner » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 am

EHS1998 wrote:
scrappingerman wrote:

Interesting that a comment about him having class would immediately be noted as sarcasm. The Ellendale fans were not upset about the starting D being put back in, it came from after Barry came out on the field and started yelling at the Ellendale players. Oh and it was Morrissey who got most of the yards that drive, Nate only ran it a couple times with Orwig and Reisnauer getting some looks too. One point of note, Ellendale went from a completely different set that drive, taking the time to work on something different in a live game simulation that they may want to use during the remaining games. This should have been pretty clear to everyone, but apparently it wasnt. You may want to run through that "protocol" you reference with the Napolean coaches as the game was over in the second quarter and they were taking time outs to score again before the half, then played them all the way through and into the 4th. This is fine, its their choice to do so but it seems the hypocrisy lies elsewhere. This is to take nothing away from Napolean, they are clearly the better team and I expect that they will win it all and will congratulate them when they do. I just prefer that a grown man who has acheived so much and has been coaching for years not yell profanity at high school kids.

That's Barry being Barry...not really surprising.

:roll:
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 pm

I'll restate, he is a tremendous coach , extremely accomplished.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man