Best coach in the state

The teams in Class A

Postby region1 football » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:27 am

i would say that LLM's Greg Hermes belongs up there with the great coaches.  he won state in 92?? runner up in 02? and has 11 straight playoff births.  his record is around 150-50
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:37 pm

I'll throw another name in the ring for Class A football. Chuck Wagner from Killdeer. Along with his assistant Larry Walker, those two could get their kids to do almost anything they wanted. Two great coaches, and great individuals.
ndfbfan

Postby Velva in Iraq » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:12 am

[align=left]Hunter you make a good point on those 2 coaches, however Harvey won the Title in 98 or 99 defeating Stanley.  It was more of Stanley beating itself but Harvey got the win.  [/align]
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby twinsfan34 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:13 am

ndfbfan wrote:I'll throw another name in the ring for Class A football. Chuck Wagner from Killdeer. Along with his assistant Larry Walker, those two could get their kids to do almost anything they wanted. Two great coaches, and great individuals.

I second that.  Chuck Wagner is a great coach.
twinsfan34

Postby hunter48 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 am

It was 98 when Harvey beat Stanley in the championship thats my bad. 
hunter48

Postby letsgosox » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:29 am

ndfbfan wrote:I'll throw another name in the ring for Class A football. Chuck Wagner from Killdeer. Along with his assistant Larry Walker, those two could get their kids to do almost anything they wanted. Two great coaches, and great individuals.

Yeah, Chuck Wagner is definately one of the top coaches in the state. Killdeer has made the playoffs 13 years in a row. There isn't too many teams that have that kind of streak.
letsgosox

Postby ND_Coach » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:09 am

letsgosox wrote:Yeah, Chuck Wagner is definately one of the top coaches in the state. Killdeer has made the playoffs 13 years in a row. There isn't too many teams that have that kind of streak.

Harvey's playoff appearence streak is at 14 years, 1991 was the last year they were not in the playoffs.  So Brad Sandy has done a fantastic job as well

Alex Starcevic from Larimore has really built a solid program - 40-15 record, 4 straight play off apperances, a Region Title I believe, a Dakota Bowl appearence and a Semi-Final appearnce last year
Last edited by ND_Coach on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:26 am

Terry Baesler has came into a struggling program and has lead the northern cass jaguars near the top three of region 2.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:21 am

I think coaches like Alex Starcevek (not sure on the spelling) are the ones who deserve credit in this category. He has turned the Larimore program around in short order. His program wasn't, I don't think, the greatest when he took over. Since he has taken over they have  gone to state finals once and semi-finals once. The program is buliding and in a few years he could have a dynasty of his own.

I like coaches like the Sandy brothers who have made a name for themselves as great coaches by coaching great football schools. Both inherited programs from coaches who have built the programs and then fine tuned them to what they are. Brad inherited from Bill Cahill who went on to bigger and better things or at least seemingly. In his first year as head coach, Brad Sandy led his team to the state championship. Giving credit where credit is due Brad said that this was Cahill's team.

Larry Sandy took the reigns from Randy Gleave. Another great coach. In his 16 years in Velva he has done some pretty darn awesome work, but the foundation was there for him to begin laying the bricks.

My friends, success breeds success. These programs are good because kids on the playground today watch their high school heros play and emmulate them. Playground heros today are gridiron heros tomorrow. Success in Velva and Harvey will continue for years to come. Larimore is on that road right now. Other football towns are on that same path as well. All of the towns that are successful have been successful in the past and will continue to be in the future. Schools like Dickinson Trinity, Killdeer, Cavalier, Stanley.

Brad Sandy (sorry I'm picking now) coached in Bottineau before taking over Harvey. Anyone hear the accolades being cheered for their football program when he coached there? Didn't think so. Because Bottineau's success is on the court, not the field.

I think the coaches of good and great programs should be given credit but I think the lions share should go to the foundation makers not the bricklayers.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to A