Shriner Football Game

The teams in Class A

Postby B » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:58 am

Just out of interest, why are some of this years kids electing to not play in the Shrine Game????:(

I know at least one alternate that was already notified he'll get to play in the 11-man game.  I don't know who he replaced.
B

Postby Shriner » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:12 pm

Alternates are added to the Shrine Bowl rosters for a variety of reasons. Some decline in order to play Legion baseball, they withdraw to play in the Lions BB game, they are removed for training violations, they aren't able to commit to the week of practice, occasionally they just fail to return the forms and are replaced. It's not unusual to add ten or more alternates to any one team before the games are actually played. There are many alternates just hoping to get an opportunity to play.
Shriner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Sorry I wasn't very specific with my question.  I was asking about specific kids.  I don't really want to know who isn't playing because of rules violations but more on the line of who is playing basketball, etc.
B

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:33 pm

[user=87]B[/user] wrote:
Sorry I wasn't very specific with my question.  I was asking about specific kids.  I don't really want to know who isn't playing because of rules violations but more on the line of who is playing basketball, etc.

Are their any specific kids you want to know about, who isn't playing that could be playing in it?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:05 am

Do any of these kids go and play in the Down Under Bowl?  I have heard of this game, but never heard of anyone from ND going.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Shriner » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:47 pm

The Down Under Bowl is not endorsed or supported by the North Dakota High School Coaches Association.
Shriner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Mon May 08, 2006 12:09 pm

Minnesota kids will be playing in the Shrine game this year. Any thoughts on that?

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandfork ... 526047.htm
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Shriner » Mon May 08, 2006 2:43 pm

The Shrine Bowl is sponsored by the North Dakota High School Coaches Association and the Kem (Grand Forks) and El Zagal (Fargo) Shrine Temples. The Kem territory extends to Bemidji and the El Zagal to Fergus Falls, with a large percentage of Shriners living in those areas. In order to raise more funds for crippled and burned children at the Shrine Hospitals, the Shrine Bowl committee approached the NDHSCA two years about including some Minnesota kids from their territories, thus leading to more involvement by Shriners in those areas. The NDHSCA supports the Shrine mission, and agreed to the plan as long as it didn't lead to fewer North Dakota kids playing. So three Minnesota kids will be playing on each of the Shrine Bowl teams - a win win deal for everyone and ultimately more help for the Shrine Hospitals.
Shriner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon May 08, 2006 4:40 pm

my personal feelings are that if there are these groups that are in more than one state, the game should include players from those areas.

more players on a roster, in my mind anyway, automatically means less playing time for kids, i think that goes without saying, but the whole point of the game is to raise money for a pretty respectable cause. so essentially the roster additions seem to be a step that isn't needed.

why do the dance with adding kids to the roster? why not just keep the rosters the same number and select the kids from the applicable regions? any parent who complains that their kid isn't getting a fair shot...all things considered, a kid getting selected to a team seems a really secondary point versus raising some cash to save kids' lives. 

besides, most parents/whoever that would complain about something like this, it isn't like they have a soul anyway. they'll find something else to complain about before too long.  
rep

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon May 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Why not makeit MN vs. ND? like the Mondak game.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Shriner » Mon May 08, 2006 6:31 pm

The issue of allowing more kids to participate was addressed several years ago when the Shrine Bowl added the 9 man game, which essentially gives 50 more kids and 8 more coaches an opportunity to be involved. Adding three kids to each team will make roster sizes 28 (9 man) and 38 (11 man), still a reasonable size when you consider that the kids will play only one way. The Kem and El Zagal temples are unique in that their territories cross state lines, and western North Dakota has dwindling numbers of Shriners, thus less involvement in the Shrine Bowl. The bottom line, and significant difference of the Shrine Bowl vs other "all star" events, is the support to Shrine Hospitals, which give free care to burned and crippled children. Involvement by Shriners, players, and coaches serves to spread the Shrine message and support the cause. "Strong legs run that weak legs may walk".
Shriner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon May 08, 2006 9:49 pm

Who knows it might create enough controversy to enable it to have a pretty good turnout, that's a good thing for the athletes and hopefully it's a positive move for the game.

Does anybody know how many people usually attend the game, and what is considered a good turnout?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Shriner » Tue May 09, 2006 5:14 am

Even though the Shrine Bowl is perceived as an "all star" game by the general public, it quickly becomes much more than that to the players and coaches. The hospital visit and the chance to spend time during the week with kids who receive Shrine medical care serves to make 120 players (and their parents) and 16 coaches real believers in the Shrine cause. It's interesting to note that unlike other "all star" events, players are not asked to solicit funds or raise money to participate. That's the job of the Shriners, and it's a considerable expense to house and feed that many people for a week as well as take four teams to the Twin Cities. It's easy to see why the NDHSCA strongly supports this event. Whichever teams happen to win on the scoreboard is insignificant.
Shriner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue May 09, 2006 5:34 am

The Shrine "game" was the low point in the week. The time spent with other players, the trip to the lake, the trip to the hospital all created positive lasting memories.  The game turns into just another game (perhaps because we lost).  It was an honor to play and be a part of the Shrine Game.  My grandfather and father are Shriners.  I would like to think that once my children are older that I will be a Shriner as well.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Fri May 19, 2006 10:27 am

Point/Center I saw in the basketball thread you aren't happy about Minnesota kids playing in the shrine game. How come? Lets discuss it :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:39 pm

The games only a few weeks away so who is gonna win it the East or the West. I'd put my money on the East this year for both 9 and 11 man.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Shriner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:49 pm

The games are on Saturday, July 15th in the Fargodome, 11 man plays at 4:00, 9 man at 7:00. Teams report for practice this Sunday, the 9th with the west teams at UND and the east teams at NDSU.
Shriner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 am

Here's an article on the West quarterbacks for the game from the grand fork herald.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandfork ... 017746.htm
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:48 am

only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:40 pm

any radio stations carrying the game?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby hornetfan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:15 pm

KFYR 550 out of Bismarck I believe is airing both games.
hornetfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:12 am

Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:10 pm

congrats to the East 9 Man team behind 2 TD passes from Trent Kosel--the last one with less than 60ticks left on the clock, beat the west 18-14

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:36 pm

East 11 man also won tonight 21-9 Defense was the key the East taking a interception and fumble recovery back for touchdowns. Both defenses played well West just wasn't able to make any big plays to score like the East. Offense was non existent for both teams. Both offensive lines struggled and the QB's didn't get a whole lot of time to throw or holes to run through for running backs.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:33 am

Last edited by ndfan on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to A