Shriner Football Game

The teams in Class A

Postby point/center » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:54 am

I thought the crowd was significantly better than the past few years. And glad it was in a dome. Can you imagine playing outside at Memorial or Dakotah field? The players can, they practiced outdoors all week. Bet the fan's would've stayed away--just the MCI crowd.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby nodak » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:10 pm

After attending the 11-man game, I can make a few comments based on what I saw.

1)  The front 7's for both teams were really talented.  The D-line for both teams was really good, and they overwhelmed both offensive lines with their speed, especially on the outsides.  Defenses normally gel a lot quicker than offenses, so I pretty much expected to see what I saw.

2)  Joe Krivarchka is a heck of a football player.  He's got a nose for the ball, and played yesterday like he played every game of his high school career.  If he wasn't recruited by NDSU or UND, then some assistant coaches have some heck to pay, because he could very easily play for either two teams.

3)  The big name players were very quiet.  Matt Anderson did not do a whole lot.  Also I was very unimpressed with both Michael Arndt and especially Jake Landry.  Landry has a cannon for an arm, but absolutely no poise.  He does not see the field overly well, and because of that creates even more pressure for himself since he sits and waits with the ball.  I also heard from an official and a player that he cussed out an official on a call.  Sounds like UND got one heck of a class act:?.

It was a great crowd on a miserably hot day.  Hopefully they can keep pulling in bigger crowds every year, as it is a great game for a great cause.
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsportsscribe » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Both of UND's QB recruits were bad. Landry and Setness were equally stinky. Is is that bad of a year for QB recruits or did they just have bad games. Tommy Weidler didn't do much either.

Krivarchka was good, but I didn't see too much, other than the obvious touchdowns. He wasn't on a lot of plays, but made the big ones.

The defenses were so far ahead of the offenses in both games. That is somewhat expected, but there is still some scoring usually. Between the two games, only a handfull of scores weren't on defense or special teams.

I have only been to three of the Shrine games over the last seven years, but that was by far the biggest crowd for one. Must have been to get out of the heat!!!
ndsportsscribe
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:12 pm

[user=786]ndsportsscribe[/user] wrote:
 Both of UND's QB recruits were bad. Landry and Setness were equally stinky. Is is that bad of a year for QB recruits or did they just have bad games. Tommy Weidler didn't do much either.

Krivarchka was good, but I didn't see too much, other than the obvious touchdowns. He wasn't on a lot of plays, but made the big ones.

The defenses were so far ahead of the offenses in both games. That is somewhat expected, but there is still some scoring usually. Between the two games, only a handfull of scores weren't on defense or special teams.

I have only been to three of the Shrine games over the last seven years, but that was by far the biggest crowd for one. Must have been to get out of the heat!!!

The big name linemen all played on the defensive side for the most part for both squads i think. If some of the better linemen would have played both ways I think it would have been a little different ball game. The QB's might have had a little more time to throw the ball. Sorry Lucas Newman trying to block any of the West linemen just isn't gonna happen. Ryan Kasowski is a pretty good back and he had tough time running the ball cause they couldn't open a hole for him. I don't think it was a down year for QB's, I think it was a down year more for offensive linemen this year. So ya Just gotta give the QB's some time to mature and polish their game even more Setness and Landry still have a couple years until they will be ready to play at UND anyway and Wiedler will be fine at Minot State in the next couple years also.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to A